2/3 | VCU | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Re: 2/3 | VCU | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by RIFan »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago In terms of the team regressing, I'm not sure that's true. If you only look at wins and losses then yes. But I think it's more that they haven't improved over last year and instead are pretty much the same (with a tougher schedule). Per KenPom in Cox's three years:

OVERALL RANKING:
2018-19: 142
2019-20: 65
2020-21: 67 (currently)

OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY:
2018-19: 185
2019-20: 126
2020-21: 100 (currently)

DEFENSIVE EFFICIENCY:
2018-19: 112
2019-20: 39
2020-21: 32 (currently)
All those figures could be crap for all I care...scoreboard, W's and NCAA bids are what we judge success and progress by...nothing else. Efficiency numbers dont get you NCAA bids...wins do.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote: 3 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago Can we leave Dan Hurley out of the discussion? This has nothing to do with him. He hasn't spent a second thinking about URI since moving to Storrs...
I’m all for that first part but you are dead wrong on the last part.
Is he thinking about coming back :D ?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I hope we have games at the RC next year so I can scream " WTF are you calling a timeout for?"
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RIFan wrote: 3 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago In terms of the team regressing, I'm not sure that's true. If you only look at wins and losses then yes. But I think it's more that they haven't improved over last year and instead are pretty much the same (with a tougher schedule). Per KenPom in Cox's three years:

OVERALL RANKING:

OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY:

DEFENSIVE EFFICIENCY:
All those figures could be crap for all I care...scoreboard, W's and NCAA bids are what we judge success and progress by...nothing else. Efficiency numbers dont get you NCAA bids...wins do.
I agree, but the metrics show that we are closer to that success than it may seem. I do think if you add Tyrese to this team (taking away AB and Martin) and we are 3 to 4 games better. I also think AB will eventually adjust and be a similar level player as Tyrese next year.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago

OVERALL RANKING:

OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY:

DEFENSIVE EFFICIENCY:
I agree, but the metrics show that we are closer to that success than it may seem. I do think if you add Tyrese to this team (taking away AB and Martin) and we are 3 to 4 games better. I also think AB will eventually adjust and be a similar level player as Tyrese next year.

Nothing has shown Betrand is anywhere near an A10 caliber player. Obviously I hope you're right, but saying Betrand will be a similar level player as Tyrese is already setting you and others up for disappointment with an unrealistic player expectation.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

OVERALL RANKING:

OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY:

DEFENSIVE EFFICIENCY:
Closer to what success? We are 9-10.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago Kentucky - no good this year
Michigan State - no good this year
Duke - no good this year
UNC - no good this year, slightly better than last year
URI - no good this year

URI...doesn't matter the coach this year. I'm not saying Cox is the second coming of John Wooden nor the second coming of Johnny Appleseed. But URI has a lot in common with those aforementioned teams this season. They're not that good. They have round pieces trying to fit in square holes. They have lack of quality player leadership. And they had no offseason together. Cal, Izzo, K, and Roy are all Hall of Fame coaches and they can't get their teams' acts together this year for pretty much the same reasons. And if those guys were coaching URI this year, URI would still be no good this year.

Cox, like 98% of coaches, will be given 4 years to prove himself...assuming next year is "normal." If there is not measurable improvement in individual players, what system they're running (offensively specifically), team togetherness, W-L record, etc., then Thorr will make a decision. Coaches don't get fired prior to year #4 unless a fire is burning in the program...i.e. Jerry D.

That is the situation Rhody is in, like it or not...and I realize nobody likes it.

All of this can be true, and a weird COVID season, and new players, and little practice time etc etc etc BUT, the job of the coaching staff is to make he best out of the cards they are dealt. None of these factors explain why we seem to lose theclose games, why we slow it down at 10 minutes when we have a lead, why DJ was in the game instead of Walker when we needed a rebound, why it took almost 20 games to figure out that Jalen Carey gives up more than he gives us, why we didn’t seem to have a good in bounds play with 9:seconds left. Etc etc. Etc

We had the same discussion last year concerning the coaching staff, why did we have Austin and Austin , was Kevin a quality first assistant coach, could Cox learn how to manage the game and his bench better..

Next year- why do we think things will change- Cox will need to figure out how to use the twin towers together. Does anyone really believe he has the tools to do this? What makes anyone believe he has the bb instinct to make right bb decisions.

There is no doubt that things in motion will stay in motion, and things at rest will remain in rest unless an external force is applied to it.

Does anyone really believe that the current coaching staff will maximize the Rhody bb potential next year?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 3 years ago
Duke - no good this year
URI - no good this year

URI...doesn't matter the coach this year. I'm not saying Cox is the second coming of John Wooden nor the second coming of Johnny Appleseed. But URI has a lot in common with those aforementioned teams this season. They're not that good. They have round pieces trying to fit in square holes. They have lack of quality player leadership. And they had no offseason together. Cal, Izzo, K, and Roy are all Hall of Fame coaches and they can't get their teams' acts together this year for pretty much the same reasons. And if those guys were coaching URI this year, URI would still be no good this year.

Cox, like 98% of coaches, will be given 4 years to prove himself...assuming next year is "normal." If there is not measurable improvement in individual players, what system they're running (offensively specifically), team togetherness, W-L record, etc., then Thorr will make a decision. Coaches don't get fired prior to year #4 unless a fire is burning in the program...i.e. Jerry D.

That is the situation Rhody is in, like it or not...and I realize nobody likes it.

All of this can be true, and a weird COVID season, and new players, and little practice time etc etc etc BUT, the job of the coaching staff is to make he best out of the cards they are dealt. None of these factors explain why we seem to lose theclose games, why we slow it down at 10 minutes when we have a lead, why DJ was in the game instead of Walker when we needed a rebound, why it took almost 20 games to figure out that Jalen Carey gives up more than he gives us, why we didn’t seem to have a good in bounds play with 9:seconds left. Etc etc. Etc

We had the same discussion last year concerning the coaching staff, why did we have Austin and Austin , was Kevin a quality first assistant coach, could Cox learn how to manage the game and his bench better..

Next year- why do we think things will change- Cox will need to figure out how to use the twin towers together. Does anyone really believe he has the tools to do this? What makes anyone believe he has the bb instinct to make right bb decisions.

There is no doubt that things in motion will stay in motion, and things at rest will remain in rest unless an external force is applied to it.

Does anyone really believe that the current coaching staff will maximize the Rhody bb potential next year?
Based on this year? No, I don't believe next year will be any better. Sad but true.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

OVERALL RANKING:

OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY:

DEFENSIVE EFFICIENCY:
As BAR already mentioned, these numbers directly correlate to NCAA bids. They use KenPom as part of the selection process. KP also factors into NET, which they use for selection as well.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam wrote: 3 years ago
Duke - no good this year
URI - no good this year

While there is the woe is me (us) feeling out there, remember that the Transfer Waiver Granting was just about eliminated because of Covid and/or the fact that they are making transferring with no sitting out the policy. URI benefited greatly that 5 transfers were unexpectedly granted eligibility:
  • Makhi Mitchell
  • Makhel Mitchell
  • Malik Martin
  • Allen Betrand
  • Jalen Carey
Otherwise our starting 5 would be:
  • Sheppard
  • Leggett
  • Russell
  • Harris
  • Walker
  • DJ Johnson and Tres Berry off the bench
No way would we be (9-10), even though some of the transfers have not played to the expectations some had set early on
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago I hope we have games at the RC next year so I can scream " WTF are you calling a timeout for?"
.......got a deal for you, sit my seats for a game, I will be in the pub, and yell that until you are hoarse......game on?......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago This is a game where not having our best ball handler will likely be a major issue.
Bar,

I thought Sheppard did an admirable job of bringing the ball up as did Leggett in the absence of Russell.

Sheppard played all 40 minutes with 6 assists and only 1 turnover
Leggett played a season high 35 minutes with 1 assist and 2 turnovers

A combined 75 minutes (out of 80) with 7 assists and 3 turnovers

Sheppard was 6-13 FG, 1-2 3FG, 2-2 FT
Leggett was 6-11 FG, 2-3 3 FG, 3-4 FT

A combined 12-24 FG for 50%, 3-5 on 3FG for 60% and 5-6 FT for 83%

None of their 3 turnovers occurred bringing the. ball up the court if memory serves me correctly (don't bet the house on that)

What were your thoughts?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I agree Ramster, though I think Sheppard in terms of bringing the ball up and initiating the offense took on more of the burden. Rightfully so, as a senior and his handle is superior to Ish’s right now. That is an area Ish should work on all summer. A few times Bones nearly had him picked.

But what Ish does at a high level is finish among the trees. He’s strong and crafty around the rim for a guard, makes winning plays, hustles and is knocking down perimeter shots. What he also does well is draw fouls, Ish has the 3rd most free throw attempts (behind Fatts and Makhel) despite being 9th in minutes (crazy to think). He is going to be fun to watch develop over the next few years.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bar,
I was thinking after last night's game that Leggett earned the starting guard spot when Russell returns. Although he does not have the height of Betrand or Martin, Leggett is fearless defensively, driving the lane and in rebounding. A few times this season I've seen him grab offensive rebounds and made amazing put-backs - he had an amazing, clutch play like that again last night.
Makhel Mitchell
Walker
Sheppard
Leggett
Russell

Bench: Martin, Johnson, Harris, Betrand, Carey - in that order

Do you think Leggett has earned this slot yet? Just a matter of time?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Yes he belongs starting. Betrand to the bench. Anything less is a really bad decision by DC. Earn your minutes, Ish has undoubtedly earned his.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago I agree Ramster, though I think Sheppard in terms of bringing the ball up and initiating the offense took on more of the burden. Rightfully so, as a senior and his handle is superior to Ish’s right now. That is an area Ish should work on all summer. A few times Bones nearly had him picked.

But what Ish does at a high level is finish among the trees. He’s strong and crafty around the rim for a guard, makes winning plays, hustles and is knocking down perimeter shots. What he also does well is draw fouls, Ish has the 3rd most free throw attempts (behind Fatts and Makhel) despite being 9th in minutes (crazy to think). He is going to be fun to watch develop over the next few years.
Agree with all this; I'm thinking Ish would be best off as a scoring/combo guard. He has the talent to do that. But what that means is if Shep is gone we need a PG pretty badly next year. I think it would be a good idea to bring in a PG regardless of Shep's decision.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If they get Bouknight back, they will.

I agree with Ace, Dan has followed URI pretty closely since he left...and he and DC talk often or at least used to, so I've heard.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I also have noticed Ish is great at drawing contact and getting to the line going to be huge for him going forward
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago This is a game where not having our best ball handler will likely be a major issue.
Bar,

I thought Sheppard did an admirable job of bringing the ball up as did Leggett in the absence of Russell.

None of their 3 turnovers occurred bringing the. ball up the court if memory serves me correctly (don't bet the house on that)

What were your thoughts?
Six assists and one turnover — when was the last time we had a point guard who did that?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

UCH21377 wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago I agree Ramster, though I think Sheppard in terms of bringing the ball up and initiating the offense took on more of the burden. Rightfully so, as a senior and his handle is superior to Ish’s right now. That is an area Ish should work on all summer. A few times Bones nearly had him picked.

Agree with all this; I'm thinking Ish would be best off as a scoring/combo guard. He has the talent to do that. But what that means is if Shep is gone we need a PG pretty badly next year. I think it would be a good idea to bring in a PG regardless of Shep's decision.
Prior to the start of season play, DC envisioned Carey as our point guard of the future with Ish probably sharing some of those duties and playing off the ball. Unless Carey does a complete 180, Ish will be that man or if by some miracle Shep decides to return. It would be very difficult for a freshman recruit to come in and takeover that position, besides not sure who is left on our recruiting board. I also doubt a transfer PG who is a difference maker will take his talents to URI, but who knows maybe Cox can pull it off.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......wow, Carey as a point guard......now that is scary......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Bar,

What were your thoughts?
Six assists and one turnover — when was the last time we had a point guard who did that?
This year...Fatts against Arizona State.
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago I also have noticed Ish is great at drawing contact and getting to the line going to be huge for him going forward
Yup, he's fantastic at it. What I love about Ish is he's already built like an upperclassman. He is going to absolutely bully people in the A10 as he continues to gain strength.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

reef wrote: 3 years ago I also have noticed Ish is great at drawing contact and getting to the line going to be huge for him going forward
Great point. This was clearly missed with Fatts being out. Possibly the difference in the game being as close as it was. Gonna need a guy that can get to the FT line (and hit them) next year to replace Fatts in that manner.
Mobley was fouled.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

Prior to the start of season play, DC envisioned Carey as our point guard of the future with Ish probably sharing some of those duties and playing off the ball. Unless Carey does a complete 180, Ish will be that man or if by some miracle Shep decides to return. It would be very difficult for a freshman recruit to come in and takeover that position, besides not sure who is left on our recruiting board. I also doubt a transfer PG who is a difference maker will take his talents to URI, but who knows maybe Cox can pull it off.
If both Fatts and Shep leave, I see Carey getting a shot at the point and I agree he will need to drastically improve. I disagree with the concern about getting a transfer PG. If nothing else the last year, Dave Cox has shown he can bring in good players. There is likely a DC area PG not happy with playing time that would happily come play with the Mitchells, Ish and the rotation of very solid wing players we have on the roster for next year.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Carey turns the ball over like crazy, so this talk of giving him a shot at the point seems like lunacy to me, and the staff isn't using him like that this season. Even with Fatts out, his minutes have remained low. He's averaging a turnover every eight minutes - roughly four a game - and that's not as the primary ballhandler when he's out there. I think the best-case scenario for him is probably as a 15 to 20 minute energy guy off the bench.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago Can we leave Dan Hurley out of the discussion? This has nothing to do with him. He hasn't spent a second thinking about URI since moving to Storrs...
He poached Tyrese...

(sry ace, just being deliberately provocative)
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

If both Fatts and Shep leave, I see Carey getting a shot at the point and I agree he will need to drastically improve. I disagree with the concern about getting a transfer PG. If nothing else the last year, Dave Cox has shown he can bring in good players. There is likely a DC area PG not happy with playing time that would happily come play with the Mitchells, Ish and the rotation of very solid wing players we have on the roster for next year.
Rhodylaw, I think DC would probably be able to get a PG but a difference maker or one that has more upside than what we already have may be difficult. They are not easy to find, and the really good ones would be looking at a P5 school or higher profile program. The Mitchells were a good fit and we were willing to take them as a packaged deal using up 2 scholarships.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
cRAM4finals wrote: 3 years ago It’s a shooting foul
I have yet to see an explanation on how that *wasn't* a shooting foul. Not blaming the refs because Rhody clearly needed a bailout after that final minute but jeez... Ish was clearly heaving one up. And with the game he had it would have been nice to see him ice it with three chances to hit two.

I initially thought he was looking to shoot, but the replay showed me he was looking to pass to his left or that he had no idea what he was going to do with the ball. I don't believe his objective was to hoist from there even as he was getting fouled.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 years ago
He poached Tyrese...

Tyrese entered the portal on his own. Dan didn't need a player like Tyrese, but of course he'll take someone he recruited and was familiar with.

If Dan really wanted to poach him he would've taken him when he left in the first place. Instead he coaxed everyone but Adams to stay and play for Cox.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

He poached Tyrese...

Tyrese entered the portal on his own. Dan didn't need a player like Tyrese, but of course he'll take someone he recruited and was familiar with.

If Dan really wanted to poach him he would've taken him when he left in the first place. Instead he coaxed everyone but Adams to stay and play for Cox.
He assumed he would get better players then that class at UConn. Turns out he is mostly right.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

He poached Tyrese...

He assumed he would get better players then that class at UConn. Turns out he is mostly right.
Fair point. Larger issue is that DC had 2 full years to sell his vision of URI to Tyrese and he couldn't.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Yes he belongs starting. Betrand to the bench. Anything less is a really bad decision by DC. Earn your minutes, Ish has undoubtedly earned his.
Yes and I dont buy the idea that it would hurt Betrands feelings too much. I feel like he knows he's struggling and needs to get better.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Fair point. Larger issue is that DC had 2 full years to sell his vision of URI to Tyrese and he couldn't.
I don't really hold that decision against Cox. He only had 2 years of head coaching experience and Jeff and Cyril were graduating. He wasn't able to compete with the Hurley name and the high profile UConn program in the Big East conference.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

He poached Tyrese...

I can promise you Tyrese didn’t enter the portal and then “coincidentally” end up at Uconn. To other posters points Tyrese had less of a reason to leave when Hurley originally took the job, but he certainly was being welcomed with open arms when he made the jump
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I don't really hold that decision against Cox. He only had 2 years of head coaching experience and Jeff and Cyril were graduating. He wasn't able to compete with the Hurley name and the high profile UConn program in the Big East conference.
Jeff Dowtin was our pg, that was taken out of that role. Maybe Tyrese saw that and said "Later"?
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Expecting URI to go to the dance every year is unrealistic of course. We will never be a Gonzaga...and I think Dan knew that.

But to try to rationalize mediocrity should have no place around this program. And that's what some on this board try to do.

We can and should expect more than what we're currently seeing around these players and coaches.

Bad play is bad play...and bad coaching is bad coaching. And that's what we're getting.

You want to be Fordham...then go root for them.
I am not rationalizing mediocrity...I am rather rationalizing reality. URI is like many of the programs in the A-10 (not like Fordham)...moments of greatness, moments of blah (this year), and moments we'd soon forget (Jerry D., Claude English years, etc.) This is why Jim Baron was let go...his program was overdue for moments of greatness. I agree, we should expect the best. But you don't get the best every year. This year is a dud...last year was like a good movie with a bad ending.

At the end of next season (his 4th), the jury will be out on Cox as the head of the program. I'm doubtful that he'll make it to year five based on what I've seen so far. I hope I'm wrong but I see what everyone else sees. But regardless of what we think we know thus far, the general rule in college hoops is that a coach gets 4 years to prove himself and show his program is heading in the right direction. (Good coaches don't go after program jobs where coaches get fired after 2-3 years. They would have no trust in that the AD nor the university. It sets a terrible precedent and leads to instability.)

Again, don't care about Danny Hurley and the "the team would be better than 9-11 if DH was coaching" talk. Would Duke be better than 7-7 with Hurley coaching this year? Would Kentucky be better than 5-12 with Hurley coaching? So spare me that kind of talk. URI is no good this year, regardless of whose coaching. Just like Duke and UK are no good with their Hall of Famers coaching them. It's the reality of 2/6/21 for all the aforementioned programs.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Dan Hurley wasn’t making mistakes like this.
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is awful what’s going on we shouldn’t be losing games like these