Makhel Mitchell

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Makhel Mitchell

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agreed. Walker, Mitchell and Ish have exceeded expectations. Everyone else at or below what you would have thought. Twan needs to eliminate a few costly TOs each game and just stick to his role and he can be a double double guy in A10. He’s our best option in PnR.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

He needs to take 50 free throws before each game and at half time!!!!!!!! Great turnaround. Won us the game!!!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Free throws did not win us that game, they were the cherry on top. Playing connected defense and taking care of the ball won that game.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Agreed. Walker, Mitchell and Ish have exceeded expectations. Everyone else at or below what you would have thought. Twan needs to eliminate a few costly TOs each game and just stick to his role and he can be a double double guy in A10. He’s our best option in PnR.
I think you should include DJ in that group, many on this board said he couldn’t hang in this conference last year.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agree with that. I really had no expectations of him and he definitely has a role to play and has done it well for the most part.

He’s a skinnier Josh King. Throwback.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Agree with that. I really had no expectations of him and he definitely has a role to play and has done it well for the most part.

He’s a skinnier Josh King. Throwback.
Josh, the king of flat footed 3s. See what I did there?
'No Mercy.'
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Mitchell is playing real well. I still get nervous with the dribble spin move at the foul line extension, but he's playing awesome. And if he hits his "throws" like he did in the 2nd half, look out.
'No Mercy.'
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

This young man has so much potential. He plays with an edge and really enjoys himself out there. He is fearless and very competitive. He will have some down night this year but once he learns to stay out of foul trouble and can consistently make his FT's look out. Really enjoy watching him compete and glad he is representing our University.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Mitchell is going to be an absolute star here. For all intents and purposes he is a true freshman. It’s basically his 2nd semester of college ball - and his first he barely played at Maryland.

Kid has a high IQ, great fundamentals - and honestly his shot looks good so the line thing must be mental. Looked like he broke out of it today in the 2nd half.

To be honest his free throws don’t even concern me. There are no bigs in the A10 that he can’t handle as a sophomore. He is going to be so dangerous.

When Khi comes back - the rest of the conference is fucked. They will not be able to stop us down low.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Blue Man--you are stealing my line about Mitchell essentially being a true freshman. I first wrote that about 6-7 weeks ago about both Mitchells.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yup really like the future with these twins we need to take advantage of that
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Everytime Makhel makes those beautiful post moves and scores i can never believe my eyes..... I have not seen anything like that as long as I've been a Rhody fan.

Same with Makhi before he got hurt. MAN I hate he hurt his knee! We would be seeing both of them slap the A-10 right now!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Makhel has for sure already exceeded any expectations for his first year here. It's been fun to watch him develop in a short time, especially stepping up once his brother got hurt. I'm happy for the kid.
kmillr
Abdul Fox

Unread post by kmillr »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago I've really been impressed with Makhel's touch in the lane and around the rim. He looks like he's ready for some double-double games.
Let's not forget his is a sniper from the FT line :D
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

He is my favorite player to watch this year. The game has really slowed for him as the season has gone on. Fun to watch and will only get better.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 3 years ago Makhel has for sure already exceeded any expectations for his first year here. It's been fun to watch him develop in a short time, especially stepping up once his brother got hurt. I'm happy for the kid.
I dont think I expected him to even do this in his senior year.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
adam914 wrote: 3 years ago Makhel has for sure already exceeded any expectations for his first year here. It's been fun to watch him develop in a short time, especially stepping up once his brother got hurt. I'm happy for the kid.
I dont think I expected him to even do this in his senior year.
Weird seeing a big guy in a Rhody uni put the ball on the floor and not pound it so hard it's like he's trying to pop it...
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

It proves how fantastic of a recruiter Cox is. Our frontcourt should be one of the best in the conference and possibly the country before they graduate. Imagine what they will look like in their senior year?? Makhi was looking better and better before his injury as well. We complain that not enough players progress under Cox, but Mithcell certainly has so credit to Cox and our coaching staff.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Makhel's ability to finish in the post is refreshing, I love the fact that he takes the ball straight up rather than bringing it to the floor and losing it. Also nice to have the luxury of a true center who can anchor that position rather a 3 or 4 trying to fill in. At times, when the situation dictates I do like a smaller lineup, but nice to know that we have Makhel there.

I do think that when Makhi comes back, there will be many instances when we see both on the floor the same time with Makhi at the 4, Rhody's version of the actual twin towers. I think both bring different things to the table.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

His offense shows incredible promise, but I think his biggest asset is his ability to defend in two ways.

1. Natural defense clogging the paint and being challenging to back down + defensive rebounds
2. Attacking his man and getting them into foul trouble on the other end.

It's hard to stop someone like Tre Mitchell for the entire game, but it becomes easier if they're sitting on the bench in foul trouble.

I think Mackhel was the direct beneficiary of his brother missing time with injury (more playing time and quicker growth trajectory), but Makhi is a MASSIVE loss that sometimes goes unnoticed because we had two Mitchell brothers.

It's not EC Matthews big, but it probably turned some likely wins into losses.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Section104 wrote: 3 years ago His offense shows incredible promise, but I think his biggest asset is his ability to defend in two ways.

1. Natural defense clogging the paint and being challenging to back down + defensive rebounds
2. Attacking his man and getting them into foul trouble on the other end.

It's hard to stop someone like Tre Mitchell for the entire game, but it becomes easier if they're sitting on the bench in foul trouble.

I think Mackhel was the direct beneficiary of his brother missing time with injury (more playing time and quicker growth trajectory), but Makhi is a MASSIVE loss that sometimes goes unnoticed because we had two Mitchell brothers.

It's not EC Matthews big, but it probably turned some likely wins into losses.
Yes, his defensive presence is making a huge difference for us, just wish he would cut down on some bad fouls.
Also with Makhi, I agree that we would of had won several more games, especially during the WK game, that took it's toll on our players emotionally and on the court.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

To the moderators......shouldn't these topics discussing current players be placed in Recruitment Corner?

[ me being a curmudgeon......once the recruit gets here his thread should be moved out of Recruitment Corner so that when I see a new post there it is about recruiting only ]
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree just cut down the fouling and improve the FTS and we have an all league performer by his senior year
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

Does this year count towards mahki´s elgibilty or is it considered redshirt since he got hurt so early?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ngriff wrote: 3 years ago Does this year count towards mahki´s elgibilty or is it considered redshirt since he got hurt so early?
He has 3 years after this season, like his brother.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
ngriff wrote: 3 years ago Does this year count towards mahki´s elgibilty or is it considered redshirt since he got hurt so early?
He has 4 years after this season, like his brother.
Pretty sure he would have 3.

Played a year at Maryland, this year (does not count), and then 3 more.

My guess is they only stay for two years after this one.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
He has 4 years after this season, like his brother.
Pretty sure he would have 3.

Played a year at Maryland, this year (does not count), and then 3 more.

My guess is they only stay for two years after this one.
Yes my mistake 3 years after this one.
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

Another solid game yesterday
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Smokinjimit2 wrote: 3 years ago Another solid game yesterday
4 points and 3 TO's and shooting 28% is a solid game?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Not by any means one of his better performances of late but he also had a respectable 9 rebs/ 4 blocks/2 assists, which helps.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Not by any means one of his better performances of late but he also had a respectable 9 rebs/ 4 blocks/2 assists, which helps.
You can't bring rebounds up when there were 73 missed FG's. It's not a stat at that point. Someone has to get those missed shots.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

You can't bring rebounds up when there were 73 missed FG's. It's not a stat at that point. Someone has to get those missed shots.
Regardless he still ended up with it, besides I was just trying to sugarcoat his performance, realizing it wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination.
Even if his #'s aren't impressive, he still provides a physical defensive presence in the middle and causes disruption in the paint.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'd agree with Smokinjimit2 that it was another solid game for Mitchell
Game high 9 rebounds (tied by Jeremy Sheppard). That was 2 more rebounds than Fordham's best individual effort.
4 Big Blocks:
  • 1st Half: 17:29 Soriano Missed Lay-up Blocked
  • 2nd Half: 17:50 Cobb Missed Lay-up Blocked
  • 2nd Half: 13:00 Soriano Missed Lay-up Blocked
  • 2nd Half: 00:27 Cobb Missed Lay-up Blocked
All of these blocked were against players in the paint attempting close in shots. Mitchell also caused a number of shots to be altered as Fordham was intimidated by Mitchell's shot blocking capability. Nice to have a rim-defender.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

Game high 9 rebounds (tied by Jeremy Sheppard). That was 2 more rebounds than Fordham's best individual effort.
4 Big Blocks:
All of these blocked were against players in the paint attempting close in shots. Mitchell also caused a number of shots to be altered as Fordham was intimidated by Mitchell's shot blocking capability. Nice to have a rim-defender.
Fordham is THE worst team in D1. What would you expect?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4 Big Blocks:
Mitchell was............
CB92BB4A-C2AA-4CBF-8142-CBBDB39C307B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

4 Big Blocks:
Sounds like you are mad that we won yesterday.
I'm not mad. But our team played like crap. Against the worst team in D1. Go on ramster, sing the praise of beating FU. It's falling on deaf ears.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We say they're the worst team in D1, but I'm sure Fordham would destroy some D1 teams, and would probably have more wins if their entire OOC wasn't canceled.
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

4 Big Blocks:
TECHNICALLY, they are currently ranked 316.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Sounds like you are mad that we won yesterday.
I'm not mad. But our team played like crap. Against the worst team in D1. Go on ramster, sing the praise of beating FU. It's falling on deaf ears.
Blueram - all he did was say the kid played a solid game. Not a reason to get combative. We need more positive talk about URI bball on this forum. Complimenting players who are doing well is a good start. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

In the first half of the first half (all I watched before switching to my Packers - ugh), they didn't go inside to Mitchell all that much so he can't score if he doesn't get the ball. The announcers kept saying that they needed to get the ball inside. I don't know if that was by design or if Fordham's D was preventing it.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Soriano was tough inside. One of the bigger dudes in the A10.
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Guess nobody gonna really stuff the stat sheet in a 52-42 game on to the next one
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

4 Big Blocks:
TECHNICALLY, they are currently ranked 316.
Yeah it's not even close MVSU or Mississippi Valley State university is by light years the worst D1 program. MVSU qouldnt beat any WCAC high school teams. And Fordham would smoke them by 30.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Want to make money betting games. Fade MVSU no matter the spread. Lindsey hunter an old NBA coach is in over his head at that bad program. MVSU has no wins and no loss less then 12 points and this is all to teams in the SWAC
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

sevegny7 wrote: 3 years ago Want to make money betting games. Fade MVSU no matter the spread. Lindsey hunter an old NBA coach is in over his head at that bad program. MVSU has no wins and no loss less then 12 points and this is all to teams in the SWAC
Wild and random post in this specific thread, but hey thanks for the heads up!
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sevegny7 wrote: 3 years ago Want to make money betting games. Fade MVSU no matter the spread. Lindsey hunter an old NBA coach is in over his head at that bad program. MVSU has no wins and no loss less then 12 points and this is all to teams in the SWAC
Yep. And not a good year for the SWAC with 3 teams near or at the bottom of the NCAA NET Rankings
0DC7F279-2CB4-4B0F-BA1D-C69DB789222F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago We say they're the worst team in D1, but I'm sure Fordham would destroy some D1 teams, and would probably have more wins if their entire OOC wasn't canceled.
Yes, they would have more than 1 win if they played an OOC schedule because they would get to play some D3 schools and other super low programs. Fordham would struggle to go .500 in the NEC or MAAC, that is an embarrassment to this conference. They only exist as a trap game to spoil our best teams NCAA bids. Every program has bad years, this has been decades of a bad basketball program. I don't even care how we play against them, it is not a measuring stick of how good the team is, it is a measuring stick of whether the team falls into the trap. Very little merit to the game as we near the end of the season. Early season tune-up games against this type of competition is fine, the team is fresh and focused. Deep into conference play we avoided the trap. It was ugly, but it counts. Now onto LaSalle who has a basketball pulse but we should still beat.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago We say they're the worst team in D1, but I'm sure Fordham would destroy some D1 teams, and would probably have more wins if their entire OOC wasn't canceled.
Yes, they would have more than 1 win if they played an OOC schedule because they would get to play some D3 schools and other super low programs. Fordham would struggle to go .500 in the NEC or MAAC, that is an embarrassment to this conference. They only exist as a trap game to spoil our best teams NCAA bids. Every program has bad years, this has been decades of a bad basketball program. I don't even care how we play against them, it is not a measuring stick of how good the team is, it is a measuring stick of whether the team falls into the trap. Very little merit to the game as we near the end of the season. Early season tune-up games against this type of competition is fine, the team is fresh and focused. Deep into conference play we avoided the trap. It was ugly, but it counts. Now onto LaSalle who has a basketball pulse but we should still beat.
Hey I'm right there with you. Its a lose lose when anyone plays them. Its a conference nightmare.
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah poor Miss Valley just looked at their results and yes Fordham would indeed kill them
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Think their coach got fired today.