David Cox Line Up Changes and Overall Coaching 2020

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: David Cox Line Up Changes and Overall Coaching 2020

Unread post by bigappleram »

IMO if you are going to risk pissing off 1 of them - Ish or Carey, you piss off Carey. Ish is a program player and Carey is out of the free transfer option.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Unfortunately, sometimes promises are made to highly rated players to get them to come to your school, not just from our coach, but all of them.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago IMO if you are going to risk pissing off 1 of them - Ish or Carey, you piss off Carey. Ish is a program player and Carey is out of the free transfer option.
Bing!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Leggett deserves more minutes but really tough not that Betrand is eligible too.
Also tough that Cox can't really shelf Carey entirely. As much as Carey has struggled he needs the experience for the next few years. Its not like he hasn't had his moments either. Leggett at least needs around 20 from now on. Especially if the guys ahead of him have off nights. Ish has been getting important minutes down the stretch in most games though, so that should at least keep him hopeful for better minutes in the future which he will undoutably have next year on.
Exactly. I think unless you’re just “giving up” on Carey it wouldn’t benefit you to completely bury him. Are there some minutes you could shift on the edges toward Leggett? Probably yes. But with Betrand in the starting lineup now and assuming he grows into that role those are minutes that he’ll own (hopefully for our success’ sake)

Will be extremely interesting to see what happens with Fatts/Shep next year as well. If I had to bet Fatts is gone and Shep is back (pure speculation). Ish likely slides into starting lineup and Carey becomes a very crucial piece off the bench for your success. And if Shep doesn’t come back? Wildly even more crucial
Interesting.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago Last four games for Carey
26 minutes
23 minutes
14 minutes
14 minutes

Last four games for Ish
15 minutes
12 minutes
16 minutes
11 minutes

I think Carey should stick to 14 minutes a game. Ish should be up around 18-20. Cox needs to find creative ways to get this kid into the game more..
Seems to have even less to do with Carey and more to do with Betrand now. Betrand hadn’t played more then 18 minutes in a game before Saturday when he played 31

If he stays in the starting lineup and him Fatts and Shep firing on all cylinders you don’t have thaaat many minutes to give to Ish. I’d be shocked if he was able to average 20 a game.
Betrand played 30 minutes vs VCU and had zero rebounds. He was the only URI player out of 10 to not have a rebound

Betrand has only 4 rebounds in 91 minutes of play on the season - 4
Leggett has 18 rebounds in 177 minutes
Leggett is tough, mixes it up, is physical down in the paint, not afraid of anyone regardless of size difference

Leggett only played 11 minutes last game because of 4 fouls. He needs more and more minutes as he is a keeper
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Also tough that Cox can't really shelf Carey entirely. As much as Carey has struggled he needs the experience for the next few years. Its not like he hasn't had his moments either. Leggett at least needs around 20 from now on. Especially if the guys ahead of him have off nights. Ish has been getting important minutes down the stretch in most games though, so that should at least keep him hopeful for better minutes in the future which he will undoutably have next year on.
Exactly. I think unless you’re just “giving up” on Carey it wouldn’t benefit you to completely bury him. Are there some minutes you could shift on the edges toward Leggett? Probably yes. But with Betrand in the starting lineup now and assuming he grows into that role those are minutes that he’ll own (hopefully for our success’ sake)

Will be extremely interesting to see what happens with Fatts/Shep next year as well. If I had to bet Fatts is gone and Shep is back (pure speculation). Ish likely slides into starting lineup and Carey becomes a very crucial piece off the bench for your success. And if Shep doesn’t come back? Wildly even more crucial
Interesting.
I pray you’re joking
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Interesting.
I pray you’re joking
Why would I be joking?
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Interesting.
I pray you’re joking
Why would I be joking?
Because of the perspective of the post is clearly looking at it from the viewpoint of the Coaching staff.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I pray you’re joking
Why would I be joking?
Because of the perspective of the post is clearly looking at it from the viewpoint of the Coaching staff.
so now you are part of the coaching staff?
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Why would I be joking?
Nope. Hence why I said “your success” and not “my or our success”

The game starts in a minute. Hopefully that cures your boredom
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I would never refer to this team as your team, it would always be our team. Like I said, interesting.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

I would never refer to this team as your team, it would always be our team. Like I said, interesting.
I could always show you my URI degree, but I like that thought of being one of your wild conspiracy theories more
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I could always show you my URI degree, but I like that thought of being one of your wild conspiracy theories more
Who cares where you got your degree? Not one person ever asked for my degree on this board. But you feel you need to provide yours to prove you are a fan? Interesting.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......there is a game on......no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......there is a game on......no?
so far? not much.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......there is a game on......no?
so far? not much.
.......Jim Harrick would fix it.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

100% of the problems are related to Cox’s offensive philosophy.

He likes the “positionless” type of basketball where anyone can bring up the ball or run the offense at any point in the game.

Similar to what Houston used to do with Harden/CP3.

Problem with that is when did that ever work? How many titles did they have with that offense? And they had 2 of the best guards in the league!

The reason these turnover issues are appearing “all of a sudden” this year is because we don’t have Jeff Dowtin.

The dumbest thing I’ve ever seen was taking the ball out of Jeff’s hands and splitting the PG duties with Fatts. You can at least get away with it because Fatts is a PG.

This team doesn’t have that skill set. Shepp. Betrand. Carey.

If they held the Nuremberg trials for ball handling these guys would get charged with war crimes.

They are gifted scorers and shooters in their own ways. They aren’t PG’s - but the Cox system is forcing them into handling the ball and being asked to distribute and key plays.

Let your PG run your offense. Period.

That’s how the TO’s are on the coach.

Like of course the players are committing the TO’s but it’s on the coach to recognize his players strength’s and how to put them in a position to win. Cox’s stubborn commitment to his system with this cast of players is costing us games and any hope of post season play.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Carey should not be allowed to bring the ball up court. Obviously he will have to have to touch the ball in what we call our half court offense but please no more ball handling bringing the ball up.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Another game with 20 turnovers is maddening , this team is so unwatchable and yes coaching is a big part of that
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......I think Blue Man cracked the code on why the turnovers and why we play like we do.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Not defending cox because he has finally lost me but I think leggett and martin's minutes were down last night because he rode the 5 that brought them back from 15 down. Unfortunately he rode them into the ground as evidenced by the timeout in ot when they were exhausted.
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

Not sure why Cox did not make a sub even after all the 5 that ended regulation were clearly gassed until Mitchell fouled out. We have a good amount of depth, certainly more than Umass yet Cox did not use it to our advantage.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Another game with 20 turnovers is maddening , this team is so unwatchable and yes coaching is a big part of that
Turnovers consist of Offensive fouls, traveling, bad passes, steals....
16 of our 20 TOs were outright steals. That’s huge.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago 100% of the problems are related to Cox’s offensive philosophy.

He likes the “positionless” type of basketball where anyone can bring up the ball or run the offense at any point in the game.

Similar to what Houston used to do with Harden/CP3.

Problem with that is when did that ever work? How many titles did they have with that offense? And they had 2 of the best guards in the league!

The reason these turnover issues are appearing “all of a sudden” this year is because we don’t have Jeff Dowtin.

The dumbest thing I’ve ever seen was taking the ball out of Jeff’s hands and splitting the PG duties with Fatts. You can at least get away with it because Fatts is a PG.

This team doesn’t have that skill set. Shepp. Betrand. Carey.

If they held the Nuremberg trials for ball handling these guys would get charged with war crimes.

They are gifted scorers and shooters in their own ways. They aren’t PG’s - but the Cox system is forcing them into handling the ball and being asked to distribute and key plays.

Let your PG run your offense. Period.

That’s how the TO’s are on the coach.

Like of course the players are committing the TO’s but it’s on the coach to recognize his players strength’s and how to put them in a position to win. Cox’s stubborn commitment to his system with this cast of players is costing us games and any hope of post season play.
Wait, I'm confused.. I thought you were a clueless poster who doesn't understand the game...This makes plenty of sense to me...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

When is the next David Cox Radio show so there is a chance we can ask him a question or Bill Koch I know your on this board and read it could you ask why he plays Carey so much compared to Ish
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

This is my biggest gripe about Cox. For the life of me I do not understand why we call timeouts when things are going well for us.

If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I've haven't understood his timeout management since game 1
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Dino611 wrote: 3 years ago When is the next David Cox Radio show so there is a chance we can ask him a question or Bill Koch I know your on this board and read it could you ask why he plays Carey so much compared to Ish
Next radio show you can ask him a question is quite a way away from happening I would guess. It's the media asking him or nothing for the foreseeable future
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The timeouts called by Cox are truly bizarre. He literally kills our momentum every time.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

spookydog wrote: 3 years ago This is my biggest gripe about Cox. For the life of me I do not understand why we call timeouts when things are going well for us.

To be fair - I thought that was a UMass time out at that point.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
spookydog wrote: 3 years ago This is my biggest gripe about Cox. For the life of me I do not understand why we call timeouts when things are going well for us.

To be fair - I thought that was a UMass time out at that point.
I just checked on replay and the TO was indeed made by McCall.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......for years, we wanted big men.......for years, we wanted good three point shooters, we wanted a solid freshman to come here and grow with the program.....we got all that and the results are way less that desired......why?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......for years, we wanted big men.......for years, we wanted good three point shooters, we wanted a solid freshman to come here and grow with the program.....we got all that and the results are way less that desired......why?
I believe the answer is not enough good coaching
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 years ago
section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......for years, we wanted big men.......for years, we wanted good three point shooters, we wanted a solid freshman to come here and grow with the program.....we got all that and the results are way less that desired......why?
.......I was wondering if it was bad juju in the program that burning some sage would take care of.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago
.......I was wondering if it was bad juju in the program that burning some sage would take care of.....
maybe if they got the right strain of sage...maybe from here?

https://www.nealternatives.com/
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

It looks like in the shortened rotation that JH is the casualty. I don't think Cox has been happy with his effort as of late.
This might just be temporary until he proves something to Cox and plays his way back in.

Not to pile on but wouldn't be surprised if he transfers after this season and takes advantage of the new rule. Maybe a change of scenery will do him some good. We would be fine with Makhi returning along with freshman Ileri and Samb, also maybe pick up another big in the portal.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

530D9D87-82A0-449B-B6C6-30AC218CB5A4.png
I think Carey and Harris sit as of now ,unless we need more guards or more bigs bs certain opponents, even though Carey had more minutes then Ish and Martin. Mitchell was in foul trouble at times. But I think a true lineup is becoming clear.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago 530D9D87-82A0-449B-B6C6-30AC218CB5A4.png

I think Carey and Harris sit as of now ,unless we need more guards or more bigs bs certain opponents, even though Carey had more minutes then Ish and Martin. Mitchell was in foul trouble at times. But I think a true lineup is becoming clear.
100%. 7 man rotation now unless foul trouble or god forbid an injury.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You mean 8...Ish, DJ, Malik
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Malik & Ish should both be getting more minutes. Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet but Malik Martin has been a pesk on Defense these past few games.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

I think 8 man with Ish, Martin, and DJ primary minutes off the bench.
I do like combination of DJ and Walker up front when resting Makhel.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago You mean 8...Ish, DJ, Malik
I do. Math has never been a strong suit of mine. Missed a lot of classes at Tyler Hall.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

I think 8 man with Ish, Martin, and DJ primary minutes off the bench.
I do like combination of DJ and Walker up front when resting Makhel.
I do too and in the A10 we can get away with a small ball lineup.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I was wondering why JH didn’t play I thought it was maybe an injury but I guess coaches decision

Tough break for him to going totally out of the rotation but nobody really has a 10 man rotation should be a solid 8 man rotation with possibly 8-10 minutes for the 9th guy Jalen C
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I dont mind JH or Carey playing they just have to play a little less. Putting them in a position where when they go out there they feel like they really need to fight and earn their minutes could really help maximize what we get out of them.

They have to realize that they need to step up.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If you are going to play Carey he has to be out there with Shep and DJ so you have shooters to create spacing. When he’s out there with Fatts, Malik and Ish per se is when lanes are clogged and he tries to squeeze through small windows and ultimately loses it. Or you wanna get a Carey confident, invert the offense and let him post up his defender and use his athleticism with less decision making. Those “I’m gonna put my head down and go through people” drives ain’t working at college level.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think we still need to give Carey minutes. Mostly it's just his tendency to dribble into traffic; he needs to understand what he can get away with, and not. He can defend, and rebound, get to the rim, and has a mid-range game.

I'd like to see us continue to go with a smaller lineup when Mitchell is out. Walker with DJ or even Martin can work IMO depending on the situation and opponent.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Carey does show potential with his athleticism at times but must cut down on his turnovers
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I don't think Cox will shelve Carey or JH, unless there is something going on behind the scene that we are unaware of.
Like I said, I think either Cox was sending JH a message last game, or resting him for some lingering foot issues.
Both their minutes will be limited until they prove it on the court, and Ish along with DJ are deserving of more playing time.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

If Cox is truly shortening the rotation, I absolutely love that decision and shows he's growing as a coach. I feel bad for Harris, but he's been given 1 million chances to earn more minutes. This has been his best season so far, but the fact is we have better talent that should be playing over him.

Carey should stick to 8-10 minutes and should no longer come in before Ish. Carey STILL played 17 minutes while Ish played 15, which makes no sense at all. Especially during a blowout. I guess it's because Ish is a freshman, but it truly baffles me that he's getting the same amount or fewer minutes than a player he continues to outplay.

I'm very interested to see how things shake out Wednesday at Duquense.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING