1/6 | Richmond | 6:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/6 | Richmond | 6:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Blue Man »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
RamStock wrote: 3 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

I agree with everything.

I do have an issue with the “transition year” mentality.

It’s year 3. It’s a “transition” because in the first 2 years we have lost 8 of 10 recruits.

When does it stop being a transition? When is it Cox’s team?

2 years an assistant. 2 years the associate HC. 2 years down as head coach. Same program. Recruited all the guys. When is he accountable?

This fees like the start of baron all over again.

Hold on let me get ready for the responses that will look a lot like:

“I told owah guyz to make shots”
Believe me when I say that I am not defending them. This year is a complete failure to me. No excuses. Everyone across the country are in similar situations with the Covid. Are we going to use the excuse next year “well Fatts left what do you expect”
Honest question, what were your expectations for this year? The more specific the better.
To not play basketball in a manner that embarrasses the birthplace of the fast break. To play better basketball and improve from beginning of season to end and from year to year.

Yes NCAA’s are always the “goal” but I’ve lived far more of my years without that than with. A tourney twice every four years isn’t too much to ask. But I would like my program with a storied history, that plays in a top 10 conference, in a 7600 seat arena, to not look like a DII school.

The reason I was such a Hurley guy from early in was because you saw a change. We looked like crap and we didn’t have talent, but at least we fought and cared. At least the coach had standards and expectations.

Poor shots, bad decisions, awful turnovers - nothing elicits a response or a change from our coach. He looks lost. There’s no consistency in his decision making. It’s like he’s a perpetual first year coach and people want to give him a pass because of all the roster turnover - even though the roster turnover is 100% on him.

No team in America that didn’t lose a head coach has had the number of transfers that we have.

Can you tell me one way that a player or aspect of our game has improved from last year to this year? From my chair it’s been a linear regression.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Honest question, what were your expectations for this year? The more specific the better.
With the talent that we supposedly had coming in and a “returning” All America” candidate I don’t think it was unrealistic to think we would be fighting for a tourney bid in a league that was supposed to be vastly improved with a shot at 4 tourney teams. This team is nowhere near that! URI isn’t the only one in this league that has disappointed for sure. This league looks like a 2 bid league. What were you expectations-14-14? Look at the high expectations that people projected for us with the newcomers.
We were picked to finish 6th in the conference on the pre season poll. Other outlets predicted an even lower finish.

I always thought we were in the 3-6 range, obviously very upside dependent on how we gelled and how other teams shaped up too.

This is exactly where we’re at currently. I really don’t get how anyone is surprised or disappointed.
I agree. They have talent but everyone should judge where we are at toward the end of the season. It is a little rougher to watch right now than i expected with our sloppy play and i thought we should have pulled out a few more Ws but the team is right around where i thought they would be at this point. Still have a great shot at top 5 in the conference.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

I agree with everything.

It’s year 3. It’s a “transition” because in the first 2 years we have lost 8 of 10 recruits.

2 years an assistant. 2 years the associate HC. 2 years down as head coach. Same program. Recruited all the guys. When is he accountable?

Believe me when I say that I am not defending them. This year is a complete failure to me. No excuses. Everyone across the country are in similar situations with the Covid. Are we going to use the excuse next year “well Fatts left what do you expect”
Thorr will give him 5-6 years before making any changes. At least that is better than the 11 years we suffered with JB.
3 years since one of the greatest URI teams of all time and we are back to “well at least it’s not Baron.”

Kill me.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Thorr will give him 5-6 years before making any changes. At least that is better than the 11 years we suffered with JB.
3 years since one of the greatest URI teams of all time and we are back to “well at least it’s not Baron.”

Kill me.
Hopefully Blue Man it won't come to that, I feel good about where we are headed, but I also didn't start the thread "It is Way to Early but is this our
...that this is the most complete, deepest, and most talented URI team in HISTORY?
Probably. But guess what I'm going to say anyway??". Sorry but you stepped into that one.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Kill me.
Hopefully Blue Man it won't come to that, I feel good about where we are headed, but I also didn't start the thread "It is Way to Early but is this our
...that this is the most complete, deepest, and most talented URI team in HISTORY?
Probably. But guess what I'm going to say anyway??". Sorry but you stepped into that one.
All those things could still be true. But you would need a capable coach to make that talent, balance, and depth look like more than a pick up game on Boon St.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Kill me.
All those things could still be true. But you would need a capable coach to make that talent, balance, and depth look like more than a pick up game on Boon St.
I think some of it may be true, we shall see, but this is certainly not our most talented team of all time. I think you drank too much of the Kool-Aid then.
Besides when you said "most complete" that includes the staff.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

I think some of it may be true, we shall see, but this is certainly not our most talented team of all time. I think you drank too much of the Kool-Aid then.
Buddy - I've been on an IV of this Kool-Aid since my first game in Keaney at 9 months old lol. It comes with the territory.

I was really only referring to the players and not the staff - a significant oversight for sure.

It clearly isn't the most talented - I was more getting at the depth and the fact that we had capable bigs and shooters, along with an "all-american" candidate.

I think on paper it looked better. Obviously with no Makhi, and now an offense that resembles a game of pick-up - coaching matters way more than the talent on the roster.

Not the first time I've made some bold declaration of positivity and proven wrong. There's like 2-3 years of Bleacher Report and Cigar articles penned by yours truly that said "this was the year" and it wasn't. I should just stick to this ooze of negative realism that surrounds the team now. At least it prevents disappointment. The bar is incredibly low.

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Kill me.
Get used to it. The Jim Baron excuses are all over the message board again. Especially during the games.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

Let’s not get it confused people, this is a talented team. Now just because guys have talent, it does not necessarily mean that they’re GOOD players. There’s a difference. Rankings from hs don’t matter at all in college. Kentucky, UNC, & Duke are learning that even more this year. With the duds that they pulled into those storied programs. So Jalen and the Twins lofty rankings don’t translate to a given that they’ll be good college players (although Mahkel is starting to grow on me). The talent on this team is obvious. What is not obvious, is the guidance/structure that is supposed to be provided to these guys by the coaching staff. It’s crazy to think what this team would be if Hurley were the coach. Or not even that....how about Mark Schmidt, or Anthony Grant, or even Ashley Howard. Because even tho LaSalle stinks too. At least they compete like crazy. They defend the ball. And they have an offensive philosophy that’s obvious (no matter how much it doesn’t for the personnel lol lol. But they have one.) cut from the Villanova cloth. Guys it’s coaching, plain and simple. And if the 5 guys on the bench can’t take ownership of it, then they don’t deserve the thousands of dollars they receive twice a month.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Buddy - I've been on an IV of this Kool-Aid since my first game in Keaney at 9 months old lol. It comes with the territory.

I was really only referring to the players and not the staff - a significant oversight for sure.

It clearly isn't the most talented - I was more getting at the depth and the fact that we had capable bigs and shooters, along with an "all-american" candidate.

I think on paper it looked better. Obviously with no Makhi, and now an offense that resembles a game of pick-up - coaching matters way more than the talent on the roster.

Not the first time I've made some bold declaration of positivity and proven wrong. There's like 2-3 years of Bleacher Report and Cigar articles penned by yours truly that said "this was the year" and it wasn't. I should just stick to this ooze of negative realism that surrounds the team now. At least it prevents disappointment. The bar is incredibly low.
I can understand. Being newly retired (forced) at the beginning of this pandemic and now that golf season is over and not travelling, following URI basketball is my favorite activity, kids and grandchildren are far.
I have always been a bit obsessed by it since I stepped foot on campus 48 years ago. Planned vacations and trips around the team's schedule and away games, so I can relate.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I agree with everything.

Improvement? Playing more as a team, both offensively and defensively. Taking better care of the ball and cutting down the turnovers?
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
Improvement? Playing more as a team, both offensively and defensively. Taking better care of the ball and cutting down the turnovers?
I mean yes those are obvious goals over the course of a season. The question more so was phrased as before the season what were your expectations of how we’d shake out?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago The soup of the day (for this game) was turnovers. Absolutely maddening amount of stupid passes and lack of ball protection. I dont know anymore. Our issues are just more and more widespread with each passing game. Its like we have a capacity to only improve so much before we decline in some other area.

I continue to want to blame coaching, or the lack thereof. Example (which I'm sure I will get flamed for): The team's social media account posted a video this week of the guys lined up taking half court shots and running around celebrating when Leggit hit one. Yes, I am sure it was guys messing around having fun, BUT are you really in the position to be jerking around like that? I can see if you are hitting your stride and the team is firing on all cylinders, youre winning games and you are having fun staying loose, but you're not a good team right now. Wouldn't you think practice should be a nightmare for these kids - not playtime? I mean ... you miss critical free throws at a high school level and the coaches had you stay there and shoot them until your arms fell off.

When you throw a balls away, not once but twice ...why aren't you pulled and talked to on the sideline? When you are throwing up impossible shots - consistently... why aren't you pulled and talked to on the sideline? When you turn the ball over on the dribble THREE TIMES - why aren't you pulled and talked to on the sideline? Where are the consequences of consistently stupid mistakes?! Its never there.

I firmly believe if there was more discipline, more of a game plan, and more focus on a strength we would be more successful. Being just OK at everything is getting us nowhere. We can keep beating this to death, I am sorry if you are offended, but this team is not playing to its potential because it is not being coached to its potential.
This is a good take. Now I will say most, if not all teams, have the end part of practice where they take 1/2 court shots and I wouldn't make too much of content posted on social media as being indicative of anything.

But, the lack of discipline I completely agree with. Probably my biggest concern with DC, some guys have too long a leash and we have had long spurts of unfocused and undisciplined play even in Years 1 and 2. Without a Dowtin to reign things in that type of play has become more widespread and pervasive but it does seem fairly consistent year to year. DC needs to crack a tougher whip on every guy on the roster...at some point playing 11 games against stiff competition without any Covid disruptions has to start paying dividends. I'm waiting patiently for that. If it doesn't happen its not on the players at that point.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

IMO this roster had a slighly higher ceiling than last year's roster, but a lower floor. Losing Makhi did hurt some of that upside.

This always seemed like it would be a team that could beat good teams but also lose to crap teams...that has seemed to bear itself out through 11 games.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I mean yes those are obvious goals over the course of a season. The question more so was phrased as before the season what were your expectations of how we’d shake out?
How could anyone know? Cox lost so many players we had a ton of question marks going into the year. As a fanbase, we had to see how all the new guys looked and then make a prediction, in my opinion. After watching them play their first few games, it was clear that with good coaching, we could be a problem in the A10. I felt we should finish top 3. Our team had a very tough schedule in the nonconference so when teams like Davidson and St Joes come to the Ryan Center, we should take care of business... All I've seen is regression and inconsistent, indecisive coaching. Similar to how we finished last year when we played our way out of a bid.

Either Cox has brought a bunch of guys loaded with talent but are much better playing streetball than college ball or can't figure out how to coach these guys to play consistently. Either way, that's on him.

People are saying next year is the year, and I have no idea how they think anything will change. I really hope I'm wrong..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago The soup of the day (for this game) was turnovers. Absolutely maddening amount of stupid passes and lack of ball protection. I dont know anymore. Our issues are just more and more widespread with each passing game. Its like we have a capacity to only improve so much before we decline in some other area.

I continue to want to blame coaching, or the lack thereof. Example (which I'm sure I will get flamed for): The team's social media account posted a video this week of the guys lined up taking half court shots and running around celebrating when Leggit hit one. Yes, I am sure it was guys messing around having fun, BUT are you really in the position to be jerking around like that? I can see if you are hitting your stride and the team is firing on all cylinders, youre winning games and you are having fun staying loose, but you're not a good team right now. Wouldn't you think practice should be a nightmare for these kids - not playtime? I mean ... you miss critical free throws at a high school level and the coaches had you stay there and shoot them until your arms fell off.

When you throw a balls away, not once but twice ...why aren't you pulled and talked to on the sideline? When you are throwing up impossible shots - consistently... why aren't you pulled and talked to on the sideline? When you turn the ball over on the dribble THREE TIMES - why aren't you pulled and talked to on the sideline? Where are the consequences of consistently stupid mistakes?! Its never there.

I firmly believe if there was more discipline, more of a game plan, and more focus on a strength we would be more successful. Being just OK at everything is getting us nowhere. We can keep beating this to death, I am sorry if you are offended, but this team is not playing to its potential because it is not being coached to its potential.
100% get this and think a lot of it is more than fair. My only thing I’m cautious of regarding social media videos is the fact (basketball or otherwise) they’re a short snippet of time, don’t give you the full picture. For all we know they spend the 55 minutes before that doing wind sprints. Don’t get me wrong I doubt that, but just trying to make a point

On the turnover front, and I’ve mentioned this before, the biggest issue is how it’s affecting everyone. We don’t have a guy (maybe it should be Fatts) who we can count on to go take care of the ball. Really hard to be taking every single player out and scolding them just for the next guy up to do it too. Maybe that’s a bigger problem with practice or whatever we want to allude to. Just thinking out loud about how you handle it in game
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago Let’s not get it confused people, this is a talented team. Now just because guys have talent, it does not necessarily mean that they’re GOOD players. There’s a difference. Rankings from hs don’t matter at all in college. Kentucky, UNC, & Duke are learning that even more this year. With the duds that they pulled into those storied programs. So Jalen and the Twins lofty rankings don’t translate to a given that they’ll be good college players (although Mahkel is starting to grow on me). The talent on this team is obvious. What is not obvious, is the guidance/structure that is supposed to be provided to these guys by the coaching staff. It’s crazy to think what this team would be if Hurley were the coach. Or not even that....how about Mark Schmidt, or Anthony Grant, or even Ashley Howard. Because even tho LaSalle stinks too. At least they compete like crazy. They defend the ball. And they have an offensive philosophy that’s obvious (no matter how much it doesn’t for the personnel lol lol. But they have one.) cut from the Villanova cloth. Guys it’s coaching, plain and simple. And if the 5 guys on the bench can’t take ownership of it, then they don’t deserve the thousands of dollars they receive twice a month.
If anyone watched Uconn's game vs Marquette the other night and saw their best player and eventual pro James Bouknight being the biggest cheerleader from the bench (he was banged up) then they saw what culture and winning looks like. That is what has been missing from the day DH left.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

How could anyone know? Cox lost so many players we had a ton of question marks going into the year. As a fanbase, we had to see how all the new guys looked and then make a prediction, in my opinion. After watching them play their first few games, it was clear that with good coaching, we could be a problem in the A10. I felt we should finish top 3. Our team had a very tough schedule in the nonconference so when teams like Davidson and St Joes come to the Ryan Center, we should take care of business... All I've seen is regression and inconsistent, indecisive coaching. Similar to how we finished last year when we played our way out of a bid.

Either Cox has brought a bunch of guys loaded with talent but are much better playing streetball than college ball or can't figure out how to coach these guys to play consistently. Either way, that's on him.

People are saying next year is the year, and I have no idea how they think anything will change. I really hope I'm wrong..
I think that’s my point. No one can say they knew for sure. It was going to be a year filled with ups and downs given the roster construction.

To your point on thinking we should finish top 3, I think that was just your excitement getting the best of you. Should we challenge for it? Sure. But the top two teams in conference were unanimous for a reason. We’re in the group right behind that challenging for the 3rd seed still
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I didn't have "Dance" expectations this year, if we did get a bid that would of been a bonus. I clearly had St. Louis, Richmond, and possibly Dayton as the cream of the crop this year. I thought it would be a crapshoot next between a number of teams including Davidson, St. Bonaventure, URI, both Duquesne and George Mason return all their starters. VCU is playing extremely well, for the most part they usually seem to be tough. last year they struggled. I also was thinking UMass will be much improved.
That is why my expectations this season were tempered because not knowing what to expect with this new roster.
Look we weren't even sure what was going to happen with scheduling and the pauses with this pandemic.
This year obviously isn't normal and not having any fans really takes away from the energy of the game and does impact the players. It's is almost like every game is just a closed scrimmage.
So I wouldn't put too much into how this season plays out.
Besides losing Mikhi for the year was a bigger loss than many think. He was considered the better prospect of the two and does shorten our depth up front.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I can understand. Being newly retired (forced) at the beginning of this pandemic and now that golf season is over and not travelling, following URI basketball is my favorite activity, kids and grandchildren are far.
I have always been a bit obsessed by it since I stepped foot on campus 48 years ago. Planned vacations and trips around the team's schedule and away games, so I can relate.
Bless you guys for your long-term support of the program and the university. I'm an old fart grad who didn't become a fan until I moved back to RI and saw first-hand the passion of Coach Hurley and its effect on his players. You never had the feeling that his team was indifferent to losing.

I just don't get the same feeling with this coach and team. And that is concerning.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Golf season ain't over baby. It was sunny and 40 with little wind today :D

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Golf season ain't over baby. It was sunny and 40 with little wind today :D
Sunny in the 40's works for me, still have my clubs out. :D
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago While the jury may be still out on Cox and his staff, the trend is troubling. The leash on Cox will last this year and next and if the results don't change in that period, he should not be extended. Street ball is both interesting and entertaining if you're driving by and stop to watch free of charge, but that view changes if you're buying a ticket for a good seat and are then are subjected to repeated disorganized, hero ball performances.

The assists and turnovers comparison between the two teams clearly showed what we already know: Richmond 16 assists vs 7 turnovers, ratio 2.29; URI 10 assists vs.19 turnovers, ratio .526. It is far easier for a player to achieve a high ratio, e.g. Dowtin's 2.82, more difficult for a team, but poised Richmond did just that. More troubling URI is getting worse - overall 14 TO's per game, and 20 in the last three games.
Does Rhody fire coaches? Won'tl he be here until he's successful and then leave to cries of "traitor" (and other expletives)?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago While the jury may be still out on Cox and his staff, the trend is troubling. The leash on Cox will last this year and next and if the results don't change in that period, he should not be extended. Street ball is both interesting and entertaining if you're driving by and stop to watch free of charge, but that view changes if you're buying a ticket for a good seat and are then are subjected to repeated disorganized, hero ball performances.

The assists and turnovers comparison between the two teams clearly showed what we already know: Richmond 16 assists vs 7 turnovers, ratio 2.29; URI 10 assists vs.19 turnovers, ratio .526. It is far easier for a player to achieve a high ratio, e.g. Dowtin's 2.82, more difficult for a team, but poised Richmond did just that. More troubling URI is getting worse - overall 14 TO's per game, and 20 in the last three games.
Does Rhody fire coaches? Won'tl he be here until he's successful and then leave to cries of "traitor" (and other expletives)?
As I watched the game last night a thought hit me that hasn't hit me in a long time. It looked to me like some players were avoiding passing the ball to certain players. Hopefully I am wrong in this admittedly early thought, but sometimes teams have chemistry problems and leadership problems. A player like Jeff Dowtin brings a certain leadership to a team, much like a great quarterback is like having a Coach on the field itself. We seem to continue to be missing this type of leadership. When a team goes on a losing streak then things can get ugly.
I thought we were a poor passing team last season, but this season seems worse. Good passing leads to good shooting. We have 3-4 excellent 3 point shooters on this team now, but we are definitely having trouble getting them good passes.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

As I watched the game last night a thought hit me that hasn't hit me in a long time. It looked to me like some players were avoiding passing the ball to certain players. Hopefully I am wrong in this admittedly early thought, but sometimes teams have chemistry problems and leadership problems. A player like Jeff Dowtin brings a certain leadership to a team, much like a great quarterback is like having a Coach on the field itself. We seem to continue to be missing this type of leadership. When a team goes on a losing streak then things can get ugly.
I thought we were a poor passing team last season, but this season seems worse. Good passing leads to good shooting. We have 3-4 excellent 3 point shooters on this team now, but we are definitely having trouble getting them good passes.
I am glad you brought this up Ramster, because this team is so new it takes time for players to establish that trust with their teammates. That on court familiarity will develop with time along with the players building a rapport/relationship on and off the court. This is almost like the timing between a quarterback and wide receiver, making the correct passes in the lanes and knowing where your teammate will be. This is probably our biggest hurdle this season.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I am glad you brought this up Ramster, because this team is so new it takes time for players to establish that trust with their teammates. That on court familiarity will develop with time along with the players building a rapport/relationship on and off the court. This is almost like the timing between a quarterback and wide receiver, making the correct passes in the lanes and knowing where your teammate will be. This is probably our biggest hurdle this season.
How much time is 'reasonable'? A full season? Half season?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

That depends on the kids and the staff, this will be ongoing. DH had off court activities together and dinners with the entire team. Unfortunately that is not possible in this current climate. That is why i reserve my expectations for this team until next season.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

That depends on the kids and the staff, this will be ongoing. DH had off court activities together and dinners with the entire team. Unfortunately that is not possible in this current climate. That is why i reserve my expectations for this team until next season.
Hmmm....if only every other team in the country had to deal with 'this current climate'...then, at least we'd be on a level playing field. Wait....what?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Hmmm....if only every other team in the country had to deal with 'this current climate'...then, at least we'd be on a level playing field. Wait....what?
Yes, but not every other team had almost a complete roster turnover. This puts us at a huge disadvantage, many of the teams in our conference have their teams intact and in some cases most of their starters returning.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

KenPom did an analysis a year or so ago and deduced that “continuity” was 1 of the biggest contributors to winning. We obviously would have scored very low in that category heading in to this season.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Yes, but not every other team had almost a complete roster turnover. This puts us at a huge disadvantage, many of the teams in our conference have their teams intact and in some cases most of their starters returning.
And who’s fault is that? We had 4 transfer out in year 1. No starters but you lost Thompson and supposedly a ridiculously talented shooter g/f in Mading. That was a normal year.

Pandemic or not you lost 2 starters this year. One who was a 2 year starter and a focal point of your offense.

Sorry but that isn’t happening at similar programs regardless of the circumstances. 2 of our key pieces transferred out before the pandemic affected anything.

Tate might be an extenuating circumstance, but still a pattern. Long left in mid March. That’s not pandemic related, it’s another in a worrying trend.

A program at this level who is supposedly competitive in the A-10 with a “bar” of championships shouldn’t be losing pieces 2 years after reaffirming a commitment to the new coach, and the guy who had a hand in recruiting him.

We don’t have a track record of retaining talent after we recruit it.

The whole reason that we signed Cox was for continuity. It’s been the complete opposite in the years since.

If we lose Ish or another key piece this off-season, you have to make a move this year.
Last edited by Blue Man 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

And who’s fault is that? We had 4 transfer out in year 1. No starters but you lost Thompson and supposedly a ridiculously talented shooter g/f in Mading. That was a normal year.

Pandemic or not you lost 2 starters. One who was a 2 year starter and a focal point of your offense.

Sorry but that isn’t happening at similar programs pandemic or not. A program at this level who is supposedly competitive in the A-10 with a “bar” of championships shouldn’t be losing pieces 2 years after reaffirming a commitment to the new coach, and the guy who had a hand in recruiting him.

The whole reason that we signed Cox was for continuity. It’s been the complete opposite in the years since.

If we lose Ish or another key piece this off-season, you have to make a move this year.
But, but...new guys, continuity....unprecedented times..... /s
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Pandemic or not you lost 2 starters. One who was a 2 year starter and a focal point of your offense.

Sorry but that isn’t happening at similar programs pandemic or not. A program at this level who is supposedly competitive in the A-10 with a “bar” of championships shouldn’t be losing pieces 2 years after reaffirming a commitment to the new coach, and the guy who had a hand in recruiting him.

There are reasons Martin, Toppin and Long departed. It is likely more than one reason each one left the program. Sure it could be for development at a program like UCONN and Kentucky. It could be for playing time. Most people leave jobs because of their boss. Maybe players want a practice facility at a UCONN or Kentucky. Maybe more fans, better conference in AAC and SEC. Maybe they were recruited by the other Head Coaches (legal or not legal). But when you add it all up these players chose to leave. Martin and Toppin were definite starters this year. Long could have had at least a shot at starting.
St Bonaventure, Richmond, Dayton, Saint Louis, VCU, Duquesne.....did not have a potential starter transfer out, never mind two.

So who says URI won't have more starters leave after this season? Have he reasons they left been learned? fixed?

I'd be concerned that we have a 10 players rotation - lots of mouths to feed. Other A10 teams will be down to 6-7 primary rotation as the A10 tournament approaches.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Pandemic or not you lost 2 starters this year. One who was a 2 year starter and a focal point of your offense.

Sorry but that isn’t happening at similar programs regardless of the circumstances. 2 of our key pieces transferred out before the pandemic affected anything.

Tate might be an extenuating circumstance, but still a pattern. Long left in mid March. That’s not pandemic related, it’s another in a worrying trend.

A program at this level who is supposedly competitive in the A-10 with a “bar” of championships shouldn’t be losing pieces 2 years after reaffirming a commitment to the new coach, and the guy who had a hand in recruiting him.

Actually Blue Man, I was just answering a question as to how long it should take for the players to develop a bond or chemistry and the disadvantage of having a new roster at this time. This wasn't about why this situation happened or throwing blame at Cox.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Here we go again overrating talent even when they left us.

“Ridiculously talented shooter in Mading.”

Kid hasn’t done jack shit since committing to Pacific.

We really need to stop overrating talent until they step on the court for us.

I’m guilty of it and we all are.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Here we go again overeating talent even they they left us.

Mading is probably my favorite recruiting story of all time at URI. A guy that was barely going to make the top 9 in the rotation at URI starts getting recruited by big programs like Kentucky. I thought at the time he was the most overrated recruit and still do. Paper thin body. Agree on overrating talent as Carey is a perfect example
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Here we go again overeating talent even they they left us.

And overrating talent even after they step on the court for us :D
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes, but that is human nature, especially for us as fans.
Anyone care to revisit our losses vs. gains with our transfers now that we are in January

Greg Hammond (SG) - Jalen Carey (PG)
Tyrese Martin (SG/SF) - Allen Betrand (SG)
Mekhi Long (SF) - Malik Martin (SG/SF)
Dana Tate (SF/PF) - Makhel Mitchell (PF/C)
Jacob Toppin (SF/PF) - Makhi Mitchell ((PF/C)
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Agree with Blue Man about more transfers...if we lose more after this season, especially leggett, that would confirm [to me at least] that there is something rotten in Denmark about the program, and that problem lies at the feet of Cox.

If we can't keep our best players, we can't keep the coach, like it or not.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Anyone care to revisit our losses vs. gains with our transfers now that we are in January

The difference is all these guys are new faces and have zero chemistry. If our coach can't retain his players, we will look like we have this season. Who cares if we have a bunch of talent if they can't figure out how to play with each other. I know Fatts, Walker, Toppin, Long, and Martin would be a hell of a lot more consistent than what we've seen this year. His inability to retain players is a huge red flag. I think the top priority now is doing whatever we can to keep Ish. If we lose him...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Why people put so much stock in recruiting rankings and heavily edited highlight videos on YouTube is beyond me.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

The difference is all these guys are new faces and have zero chemistry. If our coach can't retain his players, we will look like we have this season. Who cares if we have a bunch of talent if they can't figure out how to play with each other. I know Fatts, Walker, Toppin, Long, and Martin would be a hell of a lot more consistent than what we've seen this year. His inability to retain players is a huge red flag. I think the top priority now is doing whatever we can to keep Ish. If we lose him...
Really should look at the entire roster change.
Freshman Leggett came in but Dowtin and Langevine went out - All A10 players.

Cox was also very lucky that eligibility was granted otherwise we would have played the season without all 5 of these transfers. That could have happened.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Again, saying, “see, those guys that left (that the coaches invested lots of time and recruiting resources into) aren’t even good anyway!” is not quite the solid argument some seem to think it is. If you think that the whole thing (recruiting misses and player transfers and lack of retention and development and losing almost everyone in two straight recruiting classes) was just one unlucky combination of badness and that it won’t happen again, you probably feel ok. If you think it’s an overall issue that hasn’t been addressed and improved upon, you maybe feel less comfortable.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 3 years ago

Again, saying, “see, those guys that left (that the coaches invested lots of time and recruiting resources into) aren’t even good anyway!” is not quite the solid argument some seem to think it is. If you think that the whole thing (recruiting misses and player transfers and lack of retention and development and losing almost everyone in two straight recruiting classes) was just one unlucky combination of badness and that it won’t happen again, you probably feel ok. If you think it’s an overall issue that hasn’t been addressed and improved upon, you maybe feel less comfortable.
Plenty of different reasons why these and other players leave, and we shouldn't dwell on it. The bigger issue is are we able to rebound from it, restock and move forward. I think Cox did a great job of getting these player here, especially under the restricted circumstances he faced.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote: 3 years ago

Plenty of different reasons why these and other players leave, and we shouldn't dwell on it. The bigger issue is are we able to rebound from it, restock and move forward. I think Cox did a great job of getting these player here, especially under the restricted circumstances he faced.
It’s great that you believe that those plenty of reasons have been addressed and fixed to the extent possible. I can also see why other people have some reservations.
Last edited by ace 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Basketball seems so inconsequential in these present times. With this pandemic raging and what is happening elsewhere, we all need a mental health break. And this board is no place to get a mental health break.

But having said that, you have to factor in this pandemic when you are looking at all of these transfers. None of the players were around in March when three of these transfers left. Martin was talked into leaving in large part due to his AAU coach. Toppin not sure what happened there, but how did we know he would have interest from Kentucky? Some backdoor recruiting going on for sure. And since they were away from the program, the Coaching staff had no chance to re-recruit these players. And in this day and age, coaches have to re-recruit there locker rooms. They need to be doing that now as well. But the pandemic has led to a rise in transfers that is clear. Plus freshman do not want to wait there turn anymore. They want to play now. Hammond left in December due to this. Richmond just lost a transfer this December for the same reason. Long left because he thought he should be playing more. What?? I was one of his biggest fans but he played plenty for a freshman. Nope not enough I am out of here. But to put all of this at the feet of Cox is not fair. A lot of reasons for this exodus that was beyond his control. Even this year is not a normal year in this regards. You need to wait until we are back to some semblance of normalcy to see if this is a Cox problem, or a more structural problem with the current environment playing a large role with these transfers.

The issue for Cox will not be getting players. The issue with him is he needs to step up to the main chair and act like a head coach. He needs to be more decisive in making decisions. What I mean by this is he should be holding players accountable for their play on the court. If someone is not putting forth an effort on defense, and we have multiple players that do this, he needs to pull them from the game and tell them he needs a better effort on the defensive end. This does not happen. There are no consequences of any kind for no defensive effort. Same thing for players that play selfishly, or make sloppy or lazy turnovers on a consistent basis. Pull them from the game. Put in other players. Yes you may ruffle a few feathers doing this, but it needs to be done. If not, you will not be a very good team and you will have a lot of unhappy players as well. The best coaches do this. They reward the actions they like with playing time, and they punish the actions they do not like by reducing time and pointing out why.

It baffles my mind how Ish can play so few minutes while others play much more. This should not happen. He should be rewarded for his excellent defensive effort and team first approach on the offensive end with more minutes. But he is not, it is let's play Carey much more because of why exactly? Until he figures this part out, we will have teams that look a lot like this one. One that the parts are better than the sum of the parts.

But I will say there has never been a more difficult time to be a young coach in college basketball with these new transfer rules, covid etc. But coaching is coaching. And he needs to start holding players accountable for their actions on the court. And he should reward players that play well and hard with more time. This is his biggest issue. He just kind of goes into each game with the thought of playing the same players the same number of minutes for the most part and that is what he does. He does not adjust if someone is playing well, or if someone is playing poorly like I think he should.

I lost my mind at half time of the Wisconsin game due to the sloppy, selfish play of Carey and the turnover machine that Walker is. I have seen absolutely no change in either one of those players (even though Walker has been a little better, but still way too many careless turnovers) since that time. And their time is basically the same. This is Cox's biggest issue. Put the best players on the court regardless of pedigree or anything else. And those players can and should fluctuate from game to game based on match ups and other things. But I do not think that happens nearly enough.

Cox is a good quality person. I really enjoy him and I hope he succeeds here. But he needs to be the leader of this program. And not everybody can take that step. But for his own good, and ours as well, he needs to do just that.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

4Diffs wrote: 3 years ago Basketball seems so inconsequential in these present times. With this pandemic raging and what is happening elsewhere, we all need a mental health break. And this board is no place to get a mental health break.

But having said that, you have to factor in this pandemic when you are looking at all of these transfers. None of the players were around in March when three of these transfers left. Martin was talked into leaving in large part due to his AAU coach. Toppin not sure what happened there, but how did we know he would have interest from Kentucky? Some backdoor recruiting going on for sure. And since they were away from the program, the Coaching staff had no chance to re-recruit these players. And in this day and age, coaches have to re-recruit there locker rooms. They need to be doing that now as well. But the pandemic has led to a rise in transfers that is clear. Plus freshman do not want to wait there turn anymore. They want to play now. Hammond left in December due to this. Richmond just lost a transfer this December for the same reason. Long left because he thought he should be playing more. What?? I was one of his biggest fans but he played plenty for a freshman. Nope not enough I am out of here. But to put all of this at the feet of Cox is not fair. A lot of reasons for this exodus that was beyond his control. Even this year is not a normal year in this regards. You need to wait until we are back to some semblance of normalcy to see if this is a Cox problem, or a more structural problem with the current environment playing a large role with these transfers.

The issue for Cox will not be getting players. The issue with him is he needs to step up to the main chair and act like a head coach. He needs to be more decisive in making decisions. What I mean by this is he should be holding players accountable for their play on the court. If someone is not putting forth an effort on defense, and we have multiple players that do this, he needs to pull them from the game and tell them he needs a better effort on the defensive end. This does not happen. There are no consequences of any kind for no defensive effort. Same thing for players that play selfishly, or make sloppy or lazy turnovers on a consistent basis. Pull them from the game. Put in other players. Yes you may ruffle a few feathers doing this, but it needs to be done. If not, you will not be a very good team and you will have a lot of unhappy players as well. The best coaches do this. They reward the actions they like with playing time, and they punish the actions they do not like by reducing time and pointing out why.

It baffles my mind how Ish can play so few minutes while others play much more. This should not happen. He should be rewarded for his excellent defensive effort and team first approach on the offensive end with more minutes. But he is not, it is let's play Carey much more because of why exactly? Until he figures this part out, we will have teams that look a lot like this one. One that the parts are better than the sum of the parts.

But I will say there has never been a more difficult time to be a young coach in college basketball with these new transfer rules, covid etc. But coaching is coaching. And he needs to start holding players accountable for their actions on the court. And he should reward players that play well and hard with more time. This is his biggest issue. He just kind of goes into each game with the thought of playing the same players the same number of minutes for the most part and that is what he does. He does not adjust if someone is playing well, or if someone is playing poorly like I think he should.

I lost my mind at half time of the Wisconsin game due to the sloppy, selfish play of Carey and the turnover machine that Walker is. I have seen absolutely no change in either one of those players (even though Walker has been a little better, but still way too many careless turnovers) since that time. And their time is basically the same. This is Cox's biggest issue. Put the best players on the court regardless of pedigree or anything else. And those players can and should fluctuate from game to game based on match ups and other things. But I do not think that happens nearly enough.

Cox is a good quality person. I really enjoy him and I hope he succeeds here. But he needs to be the leader of this program. And not everybody can take that step. But for his own good, and ours as well, he needs to do just that.
Nail. Head. Hammer.

Excellent post.

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

To add in my two cents, and putting aside the chemistry / playing together issue entirely for the moment - I think the depth of the team is certainly better this year vs. last year, but the "peak" of the team isn't necessarily higher because of that. I think I may have expressed a similar sentiment on the "is this the deepest team ever?" thread.

At this early juncture, Fatts is the only guy who might make an All-A10 team, except for maybe all-freshman for Ish. Basketball is a top-heavy sport normally when it comes to talent - Its better to have LeBron James and scrubs, then to have depth in most circumstances. I like the talent on the roster and I think future years could be very good, if we retain most of the roster, but for this particular year I kind of worry that we don't have consistent and aggressive offensive options beyond Fatts.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago To add in my two cents, and putting aside the chemistry / playing together issue entirely for the moment - I think the depth of the team is certainly better this year vs. last year, but the "peak" of the team isn't necessarily higher because of that. I think I may have expressed a similar sentiment on the "is this the deepest team ever?" thread.

At this early juncture, Fatts is the only guy who might make an All-A10 team, except for maybe all-freshman for Ish. Basketball is a top-heavy sport normally when it comes to talent - Its better to have LeBron James and scrubs, then to have depth in most circumstances. I like the talent on the roster and I think future years could be very good, if we retain most of the roster, but for this particular year I kind of worry that we don't have consistent and aggressive offensive options beyond Fatts.
likelihood?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I had forgotten about Mading he avg 1 point 1 board a game