Jermaine Harris

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Jermaine Harris

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

You'd rather Fatts' 3 point attempts decline instead of Harris'?

In what world?

Fatts was 3-4 last night, Harris 0-3.

Harris is a career 9% 3 point shooter, Fatts is in the 30%.
Fatts has 4 airballs already this year.
Sheppard, Martin and Johnson are better 3P shooters than Russell. Yet Russell takes by far the most 3Ps - makes no sense. His 3Ps have been open but still he shots a low percentage.

Russell needs to pass much more, involve his teammates and take inside shots. He has not proven to be a good 3P shooter. How posters can constantly gripe about Harris and not Russell is a mystery.
Malik Martin has shown nothing as a 3P shooter. He 23.1% from three this year.
Sample size is only 13 shots. His two previous years were 37.8 and 28.7 percent, so I think he'll settle somewhere between those two numbers, which is fine. Harris, I'm more dubious on, but he also has 42 career attempts in 66 games. It isn't a major component of his game.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

To me Malik has been a disappointment in all phases of the game. I expect a consistent (not great) contribution from him. He is the only transfer that played a full year at the D1 level last year. I don’t see his great defense either. I hope he turns it around.
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago To me Malik has been a disappointment in all phases of the game. I expect a consistent (not great) contribution from him. He is the only transfer that played a full year at the D1 level last year. I don’t see his great defense either. I hope he turns it around.
I WHOLEHEARTEDLY disagree. Not all great things show up on the stat sheet.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago To me Malik has been a disappointment in all phases of the game. I expect a consistent (not great) contribution from him. He is the only transfer that played a full year at the D1 level last year. I don’t see his great defense either. I hope he turns it around.
I would agree with this statement if you re-wrote it and said the opposite of everything you said.

He's defended well at multiple positions, though his shot hasn't fallen at a high clip it looks good.

His motor and defense are definitely there.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MegaRamFan2 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
I would agree with this statement if you re-wrote it and said the opposite of everything you said.

He's defended well at multiple positions, though his shot hasn't fallen at a high clip it looks good.

I agree Blue Man. We didn't bring in Malik to be a high volume scorer, but rather for his energy and aggression on the defensive side of the ball. So far so good for me in that department. Sure he will contribute a couple of double digit point scoring games along the way with baskets that come in the natural flow of the game, but I'm not expecting more than that.

Regarding Harris... call me a "homer," but I still like his upside. He's not as athletic as the Mitchell twins, but that's okay. He shows flashes, like that quick spin to the basket last game where the defender had no shot. I always am surprised when he shoots the ball that he looks like he has a pretty decent stroke. He definitely needs to get more arc on the ball, but that could come with more practice. The clock is ticking for sure, and this foot injury doesn't help. It will be hard for him to live up to the high expectations that come along with a top 75 ranking out of HS, but how can you not love the depth we have down low? The different looks we can show teams with the combination of bigs is something I feel like I've never witnessed as a Rhody fan!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
I agree with DC and Blue Man, I think Malik brings a lot of intangibles to this team, that don't necessarily jump out at you on the stat sheet, but he is that needed glue guy. As the season moves along, his #'s will also increase.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

MegaRamFan2 wrote: 3 years ago

I agree Blue Man. We didn't bring in Malik to be a high volume scorer, but rather for his energy and aggression on the defensive side of the ball. So far so good for me in that department. Sure he will contribute a couple of double digit point scoring games along the way with baskets that come in the natural flow of the game, but I'm not expecting more than that.

Regarding Harris... call me a "homer," but I still like his upside. He's not as athletic as the Mitchell twins, but that's okay. He shows flashes, like that quick spin to the basket last game where the defender had no shot. I always am surprised when he shoots the ball that he looks like he has a pretty decent stroke. He definitely needs to get more arc on the ball, but that could come with more practice. The clock is ticking for sure, and this foot injury doesn't help. It will be hard for him to live up to the high expectations that come along with a top 75 ranking out of HS, but how can you not love the depth we have down low? The different looks we can show teams with the combination of bigs is something I feel like I've never witnessed as a Rhody fan!
I often read about fans not happy that Jermaine didn't "live up to the hype" coming into URI. It does take Big Men longer to develop normally. Often Guards and Wings tend to be able to contribute more quickly.
Harris was ESPN Top 100 Ranked #90, not #75.
I looked back to 2017, 2018 and 2019 for familiar names of Ranked Recruits.
I don't hear anyone question many players who were ranked much higher than Harris. I don't hear Carey and Reeves from 2018 questioned. Ashton-Lankford was #38 from 2017 - now at BC. By the way, 2017 had 6'11" Luke Garza of Iowa #100 and he might be the best College Basketball Player this season playing for #3 Ranked Iowa.
Tre Mitchell was only #74 in 2019 but he may be the most talented player in the A10 as only a Sophomore.

I don't get the frequent criticism of Harris - I'd say the most frequently criticized player I have ever seen play at URI. Last season he had a thread that was brutal. Now it seems to be starting again this season. Give the guy a break please.

Familiar names from the 2018 ESPN Top 100 - Senior Year
Jermaine Harris was Ranked #90 - URI
Jalen Carey #38 - Syracuse to URI
David Duke #49 - PC
AJ Reeves #55 - PC

Familiar names from the 2017 ESPN Top 100 - Senior Year
Makai Ashton-Lankford #38 - PC to BC

Familiar names from the 2019 ESPN Top 100 - Senior Year
Greg Gantt #68 - PC
Makhi Mitchell #70 - Maryland to URI
Tre Mitchell #74 - UMASS
Brycen Godine #77 - Syracuse to PC
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Brycen Godine transfered to Providence (unless he pulled a Sly Williams?)
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago Brycen Godine transfered to Providence (unless he pulled a Sly Williams?)
fixed it. thanks.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
I agree with DC and Blue Man, I think Malik brings a lot of intangibles to this team, that don't necessarily jump out at you on the stat sheet, but he is that needed glue guy. As the season moves along, his #'s will also increase.
Whats he talkin about Malik's defense has been STICKY. It partly why we keep getting out to fast starts! Malik brings the heat and disrupts a lot.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Whats he talkin about Malik's defense has been STICKY. It partly why we keep getting out to fast starts! Malik brings the heat and disrupts a lot.
Malik has only started one game (the last one because Carey was injured). So if we keep getting out to a fast start it is when Malik is sitting on the bench. Carey is the starter.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If I made everything the opposite - so you expected him to be an inconsistent contributor??? He has been good in all phases??? Your comment makes no sense.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Key point is that URI lost 1st two games to ASU and BC. David Cox replaced Jalen Carey with Malik Martin and Makhi Martin with Makhel Martin. Since then URI has won 3 straight games over South Florida, San Francisco and Seton Hall.
David Cox made the decision to insert Malik Martin into the starting lineup and he has chosen to keep the two changes in place. "If it ain't broke don't fox it"
I'd agree Malik's stats are not as good as they could be but I have to trust David Cox when he wins 3 straight games. After the first two losses I honestly thought we might lose all of our OOC games going into the Dec 18 Davidson game. What gutsy lineup changes Cox made and how impressed I am with the 3 straight wins.
Malik has been tough on defense, probably what cost Carey his starting role. Malik has played 97 minutes in 5 games. Most impressive is that he has had only 2 TO's in all that time over 5 games. 5 Steals and 2 Blocks during those 5 games.
I'd bet Cox goes with the same lineup until he sees a reason to change - especially if we continue to win and play well.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I love the intangible argument and don’t look at the stat sheet.
Here are his stats:
FG - 30% 9th out of 10 regulars (only Harris behind him)
3P - 23% 6th out of 7 regulars (3 bigs haven’t taken one) Harris is last
Reb - 1.2 per game tie for 10th out of regulars with Ish

In the Seton Hall game Cox played Ish at the 3 instead of Malik for the last 5+ minutes. Ish played great. So with Carey out injured, Malik wasn’t on the court during the critical part of the game.
Up for opinion is his defense. In my opinion he hasn’t played great D. He has hurt them on D boards. Your opinion maybe different.
As I said in my original post, I hope he turns it around.
Last edited by Rhody83 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Malik has only started one game (the last one because Carey was injured). So if we keep getting out to a fast start it is when Malik is sitting on the bench. Carey is the starter.
Aside from Fatts and Jeremy, at this point we don't have any other clear cut starters. Our roster is balanced and deep enough that Cox may rotate the lineup based on the competition or just trying to find the right chemistry. Because this is such a new roster, I am sure Cox will do a lot of experimenting. I am sure once Jermaine's injury issues are behind him, we will see a different player and when Malik gets more comfortable in this system his stats will also improve.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Aside from Fatts and Jeremy, at this point we don't have any other clear cut starters. Our roster is balanced and deep enough that Cox may rotate the lineup based on the competition or just trying to find the right chemistry. Because this is such a new roster, I am sure Cox will do a lot of experimenting. I am sure once Jermaine's injury issues are behind him, we will see a different player and when Malik gets more comfortable in this system his stats will also improve.
I’d argue Walker has shown enough to deserve to be a consistent start at the 4 too.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Here are his stats:

In the Seton Hall game Cox played Ish at the 3 instead of Malik for the last 5+ minutes. Ish played great. So with Carey out injured, Malik wasn’t on the court during the critical part of the game.
Up for opinion is his defense. In my opinion he hasn’t played great D. He has hurt them on D boards. Your opinion maybe different.
I anticipate Malik's #'s will improve with time but he is the blue collar guy that every team needs. He will help make all the other players around him better with his toughness and intensity. I never expected his stats to jump out, we have other players to fill out that sheet. I actually think he is the perfect fit for this team. Comparing him to Ish is unfair, I always thought this was a recruiting coup when we got him and he has the potential to be a stud here, that has not been my expectations for Malik. He put up steady #'s at Charlotte, but those teams weren't as talented as ours.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago

I’d argue Walker has shown enough to deserve to be a consistent start at the 4 too.
I agree if he maintains his current play, he certainly came out of the gate strong this year.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Getting back on topic here, Jermaine must feel very frustrated his nagging injuries has kept him from reaching his potential. With Walkers improvement and the twins arrival here and contributions, Jermaine can't be satisfied with his current playing situation. There was such high expectations when he came here, that being a role player off the bench and having limited minutes must be very difficult for him.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Getting back on topic here, Jermaine must feel very frustrated his nagging injuries here has kept him from reaching his potential. With Walkers improvement and the twins arrival here and contributions, Jermaine can't be satisfied with his current playing situation. There was such high expectations when he came here, that being a role player off the bench and having limited minutes must be very difficult for him.
I beg to differ. He is playing and contributing as a large body off the bench.
He is not complaining and sitting out - which would be easy to do with a foot injury.
That is the attitude of a 'team first' player. This speaks volumes about the young man, IMO.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Getting back on topic here, Jermaine must feel very frustrated his nagging injuries here has kept him from reaching his potential. With Walkers improvement and the twins arrival here and contributions, Jermaine can't be satisfied with his current playing situation. There was such high expectations when he came here, that being a role player off the bench and having limited minutes must be very difficult for him.
I beg to differ. He is playing and contributing as a large body off the bench.
He is not complaining and sitting out - which would be easy to do with a foot injury.
That is the attitude of a 'team first' player. This speaks volumes about the young man, IMO.
His attitude has been great and I applaud him for it, I just feel that he must be frustrated he can't contribute more. I am hoping things turn around for him soon.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Most recruiting rankings aren’t worth the pixels they’re printed on. That said, I expected more from Harris, but as we find out more about his injuries it’s hard to be too critical of him (though he should not be shooting 3s). Having had plantar fasciitis, I know it’s a process of trial and error to find the right shoes, the right orthotics and the right therapy exercises to get it under control.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Here are his stats:

One again, you’re bringing up stats. It’s safe to say we are all talking past each other.

He had a crucial and 1 basket that helped us ice a win. That’s a veteran. That stat or game situation doesn’t show up on the stat sheet.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago Most recruiting rankings aren’t worth the pixels they’re printed on. That said, I expected more from Harris, but as we find out more about his injuries it’s hard to be too critical of him (though he should not be shooting 3s). Having had plantar fasciitis, I know it’s a process of trial and error to find the right shoes, the right orthotics and the right therapy exercises to get it under control.
Here's my issue with the injury argument. I'm certainly not saying it doesn't play a part - but none of my criticisms of Harris have involved anything to do with his foot injury.

He's wildly explosive. He shows that in flashes. Those are the things an injury would affect.

My problem with him is between his ears.

He does not know how to defend, attack, or play in the low post. His footwork is off. He puts the ball on the floor every single time. He goes out too far on a hedge (every.single.time) and gets lost, forcing a switch and a mismatch, a lag in the defensive rotation, and gives up an easy basket. It's why he's the only player who has a negative +/-.

Taking 3 point shots as a 9% shooter also has nothing to do with an injury. It's a dumb decision. Honestly, Harris sitting outside the 3 point line on offense isn't a part of coaching - as Walker and the Mitchell boys constantly find themselves around the hoop.

If we want to have a chance against Wisconsin, Harris can't see the floor more than 15 minutes. Period.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago Most recruiting rankings aren’t worth the pixels they’re printed on. That said, I expected more from Harris, but as we find out more about his injuries it’s hard to be too critical of him (though he should not be shooting 3s). Having had plantar fasciitis, I know it’s a process of trial and error to find the right shoes, the right orthotics and the right therapy exercises to get it under control.
Here's my issue with the injury argument. I'm certainly not saying it doesn't play a part - but none of my criticisms of Harris have involved anything to do with his foot injury.

He's wildly explosive. He shows that in flashes. Those are the things an injury would affect.

He does not know how to defend, attack, or play in the low post. His footwork is off. He puts the ball on the floor every single time. He goes out too far on a hedge (every.single.time) and gets lost, forcing a switch and a mismatch, a lag in the defensive rotation, and gives up an easy basket. It's why he's the only player who has a negative +/-.

Taking 3 point shots as a 9% shooter also has nothing to do with an injury. It's a dumb decision. Honestly, Harris sitting outside the 3 point line on offense isn't a part of coaching - as Walker and the Mitchell boys constantly find themselves around the hoop.

If we want to have a chance against Wisconsin, Harris can't see the floor more than 15 minutes. Period.
The plus-minus stats for Harris are somewhat irrelevant, since he's played a whopping 39 minutes. You're acting like he's Jon Clark out there, when as of right now, he's more like our #3 or #4 big man. In year's past, that position was occupied by like Jon Cruz and pre-shapely Andre Berry. Last year, I don't even know who was #4 on the depth chart for the 4 and 5 rotation - Jacob Toppin or Tyrese Martin or Mekhi Long? I think he's perfectly average out there, which is probably a disappointment given his stature as a recruit, but it suits us well if he's happy with his role on the team.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I think our coaches will need to reel in his 3 point attempts until he shows he can be a more consistent shooter. If Jermaine can stay in the paint or close to it, we will need his strength to help offset Wisconsin's size and depth up front. That way, we can have a fresh rotation of players inside to keep the pressure on their bigs.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm not sure you can dismiss that as not a part of coaching. If Cox doesn't want him doing that why isn't he flipping out when he's out there and why does he continue to see the floor if he remains out there?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

I cannot believe I am coming to the defense of Jermaine Harris but I am. Blue Man I love you man but I see Jermaine Harris totally different from you. Maybe we end up at the same place, that he is a average to below average player, but not for the reasons you state.

Jermaine's problems from day one has been his lack of athleticism. How can you say he is "wildly explosive". I never see that out of him, ever. Just the opposite, slow to get off the ground, not much lift when he does etc. And you think he is a good offensive player and a bad defensive one?? Again I am not seeing that. He does not have much offensive skill at all. Struggles with his back to the basket due to his lack of athleticism and unfortunately, does not look like he can shoot either. That is not a good offensive player. Even though he does set a good screen.

But defensively I think he is solid. The hedge you complain about he does better than anybody on the team and is very effective at it. We lost the Oregon due primarily to nobody hedging on their great point guard and he was heading down hill on every play basically unimpeded. That is when your defense breaks down, and it did often that night. My one frustration with the Mitchell Twins is neither one hedges which I think is not good. And it is odd, because if they have Harris hedge you would think they would have the Mitchell twins do the same. Plus he steps in and takes charges. He is much better on the defensive side than he is on the offensive side.

But jumping on his mental part of the game?? There are several players on this team that bother me much more with their decisions than Jermaine does and I really do not understand where you are coming from with this criticism. Taking 3 point shots, yes frustrating, but he is wide open and have obviously has the green light to shoot. He is not going one on five and taking a contested shot with nobody else on the floor touching the ball which others do more than occasionally. His hedging is tremendous, and an asset, not a problem which you think it is.

I thought he looked much improved the first two games back. Had a little setback last game, but come on, lay off the kids mental part of the game. You state "My problem with him is between the ears". That is a little much. I think it is not accurate and is unfair. Jermaine's biggest issue, and I said this way back, is that he is not very athletic. Which is why he is limited in many ways, not because he is not hustling and has a problem "between the ears". This is not Robert Williams out there with all of the physical gifts in the world that does have issues with the mental part of the game. Just the opposite.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I hate that this is still a f**king discussion.

We get it! Some of you love him, some tolerate him, some wish he rode the pine.

How much longer do we continue to beat this dead horse for a student athlete who is still ENROLLED and a member of the TEAM!

I am forever grateful some of you aren’t mentors or coaches, because there would be some mentally f’d up kids in this world.

Jesus H Christ...enough is enough.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago I hate that this is still a f**king discussion.

We get it! Some of you love him, some tolerate him, some wish he rode the pine.

How much longer do we continue to beat this dead horse for a student athlete who is still ENROLLED and a member of the TEAM!

I am forever grateful some of you aren’t mentors or coaches, because there would be some mentally f’d up kids in this world.
This
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......amen......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I keep thinking theres news that hes hurt when I see this topic. If hes good, the teams good. We need him.
GO RAMS
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Agree 100% with DC_Rams. Talk about something else blueram. Boy am I hoping he hits a couple of 3s tomorrow.........
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Agree 100% with DC_Rams. Talk about something else blueram. Boy am I hoping he hits a couple of 3s tomorrow.........
I would love Harris to drop 30 and 10 tomorrow with 6/6 3 point shooting. Been pretty clear about that. Of course I'm rooting for the kid to do well.

In 1100 minutes of play in 3 years I'm yet to be proven wrong though. Would love it to be tomorrow.

I'd also love to be 6'5 and win the lottery, if you're listening God.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

The plus-minus stats for Harris are somewhat irrelevant, since he's played a whopping 39 minutes. You're acting like he's Jon Clark out there, when as of right now, he's more like our #3 or #4 big man. In year's past, that position was occupied by like Jon Cruz and pre-shapely Andre Berry. Last year, I don't even know who was #4 on the depth chart for the 4 and 5 rotation - Jacob Toppin or Tyrese Martin or Mekhi Long? I think he's perfectly average out there, which is probably a disappointment given his stature as a recruit, but it suits us well if he's happy with his role on the team.
I would agree he's our #4 big man - so why is he getting 20+ mpg when he's realistically 10th in the rotation?

I wouldn't say he's Jon Clark - mainly because there are so many other options around him. The Clark teams were hamstrung with an awful coach who drove future NCAA-leading rebounder Chris Holm away. So Clark was all we had. We have so many other options now.

I can't believe the amount of flak I'm taking here for pointing out facts. Is this such a fan-happy forum that we can't have an objective discussion about basketball any more?

Obviously I want this kid to do well. As does anyone on here who is a ram fan. But to act like it's sacrilegious to call out the underwhelming play of an individual on a basketball message board is insane to me.

Here are some objective statistics:
harris bpm.JPG
These are Harris' 3 seasons and totals.

BPM is box +/- - similar to WAR in baseball. It's how a player would contribute per 100 possession versus an average player on an average team.

OBPM and DPBM are obviously offensive and defensive versions.

WS/40 is number of wins a player has contributed per 100 possessions. Average would be .100.

But remember there are 32 conferences and 357 teams - meaning that these ratings are giving you the expectations for an average player on a middle of the pack sun-belt school or something.

We play in a top 10 conference. We are a top tier team in that conference. The expectation is that you're an "above average" player when you come here.

Sorry if my stats are mean and hurtful, but I'm sorry - pointing out sub-standard basketball play on a basketball message board is not some type of blasphemy.

I would love to engage in a debate of opinions on this topic where someone provides me some type of statistical context of why I'm wrong. Beyond "he's a good kid, he's hurt, he made a great layup." I would love to be proven wrong. We'll be a national championship contender if Harris becomes our best player over night. I would LOVE for that to happen.

I'll end my posts on this topic with this one hope: just watch the guy on both ends of the floor. Watch his movements. Watch his footwork. Watch what he does with the basketball and more importantly away from the basketball. Watch where he is on rebounds. Watch what happens when he hedges.

If you can do that for a whole game and then provide me details where he did the right thing I'll happily change my tune.

I want Harris to be the best he can because WE would be the best team we can. But I'm not going to sit here and be accused of being some kind of hater or fake fan because I have the audacity and middle-school level basketball knowledge to point out when someone isn't doing the right things on the court.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

What the hell happened to this board. We used to be able to have a discussion positive or negative and then move on. Now I feel like everything has to be positive, or posters freak out. The constant replies by some about how you're a bad fan or a hater of this program for having a negative thing to say are ridiculous. People are going to have negative things to say about some of our players and our coach. Nothing Blueman is saying is disrespectful or out of line. If Harris was barely playing, I'm sure this wouldn't be a big discussion, but if he continues to get the same amount of minutes as the Mitchell twins and Walker, our fanbase will talk about it...

We all want him and all our players to succeed.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago What the hell happened to this board. We used to be able to have a discussion positive or negative and then move on. Now I feel like everything has to be positive or posters freak out.. The constant replies by some about how you're a bad fan or a hater of this program for having a negative thing to say are ridiculous. People are going to have negative things to say about some of our players and our coach. Nothing Blueman is saying is disrespectful or out of line. If Harris was barely playing, I'm sure this wouldn't be a big discussion, but if he continues to get the same amount of minutes as the Mitchell twins and Walker our fanbase will talk about it...
Smh, you’re missing the entire point. How many different ways can one person (this isn’t directed at just Blueman) say that a kid sucks? Should he try saying it in Swahili? The fact remains, the horse has been dead. We all want great things for Jermaine, but let’s just continue to shit on him until he makes us all happy seems to be the M.O. here.

We all have some growing up to do, and using the excuse that this is a message board doesn’t negate that fact.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago What the hell happened to this board. We used to be able to have a discussion positive or negative and then move on. Now I feel like everything has to be positive or posters freak out.. The constant replies by some about how you're a bad fan or a hater of this program for having a negative thing to say are ridiculous. People are going to have negative things to say about some of our players and our coach. Nothing Blueman is saying is disrespectful or out of line. If Harris was barely playing, I'm sure this wouldn't be a big discussion, but if he continues to get the same amount of minutes as the Mitchell twins and Walker our fanbase will talk about it...
Smh, you’re missing the entire point. How many different ways can one person (this isn’t directed at just Blueman) say that a kid sucks? Should he try saying it in Swahili? The fact remains, the horse has been dead. We all want great things for Jermaine, but let’s just continue to shit on him until he makes us all happy seems to be the M.O. here.

We all have some growing up to do, and using the excuse that this is a message board doesn’t negate that fact.
Not everyone is saying he sucks. Some are saying he's injured. Some are saying he's playing better. Some are saying he's been bad. We all have different opinions, and there is nothing wrong with discussing it.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

Not everyone is saying he sucks. Some are saying he's injured. Some are saying he's playing better. Some are saying he's been bad. We all have different opinions, and there is nothing wrong with discussing it.
Except we don't scrutinize other players like this. Harris has shown great commitment to the coach and the program and he gets this kind of scrutiny for it. It's simply not cool.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Then this obviously isn’t directed towards those people. The overwhelming majority is leaning towards the kid sucks. I personally don’t this so. All people are doing now is try to convince others why the kid is bad and that he doesn’t deserve to play. Again, so thankful you all (to whom the shoe fits) don’t coach/mentor/teach.

Criticism is ok. Sure, in his case it may even be warranted, but we’ve devolved into quite simply non-stop berating.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Then this obviously isn’t directed towards those people. The overwhelming majority is leaning towards the kid sucks. I personally don’t this so. All people are doing now is try to convince others why the kid is bad and that he doesn’t deserve to play. Again, so thankful you all (to whom the shoe fits) don’t coach/mentor/teach.

Criticism is ok. Sure, in his case it may even be warranted, but we’ve devolved into quite simply non-stop berating.
And the non-stop berating went on last season as well. No player has received as much scrutiny and criticism as this player - not even close.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Here's my two cents. Harris seems like a hard worker, a good person, and a great teammate. He is definitely improving. If that continues, he will be an important part of the team both this year and next. I'm not a fan of the three point shooting. If he does all of the other things, and doesn't force it on offense, he can be great. I am rooting for him big time. Only want to see him succeed.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’m glad Blue Man has taken my place in getting drilled about Harris talk!

I’ll agree and disagree with Blue Man on some of his points.

Disagree that he is explosive. Harris is one the least athletic players I have ever seen, cannot elevate worth a damn, struggles to even dunk the ball. Not sure he’s had 5 dunks in his career here.

Agree that it’s ridiculous Blue Man (and me last year) get crucified for pointing out the fact that Harris has not been good (albeit for a 3ish game stretch last year) / cannot understand how some defend his play when it has been extremely underwhelming.

Someone actually defended his 3 point shooting saying it MAY LEAD TO AN OFFENSIVE REBOUND. That point is so ridiculous and pretty much makes all your takes irrelevant because you sound like you have no knowledge of the game.

Someone else wants Harris to keep shooting 3s, but wants Fatts to shoot less 3s. Again, a ridiculous take and makes you look like a fool who knows nothing about basketball.

But, like I said, this team is too good and fun to watch for me to post in this thread as much as I did last year.

Now I hope he drops 20/10 the rest of the year to help this team win. Just don’t think it’ll ever happen.
Go Rhody
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago Here's my two cents. Harris seems like a hard worker, a good person, and a great teammate. He is definitely improving. If that continues, he will be an important part of the team both this year and next. I'm not a fan of the three point shooting. If he does all of the other things, and doesn't force it on offense, he can be great. I am rooting for him big time. Only want to see him succeed.
Good take.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago I’m glad Blue Man has taken my place in getting drilled about Harris talk!

Disagree that he is explosive. Harris is one the least athletic players I have ever seen, cannot elevate worth a damn, struggles to even dunk the ball. Not sure he’s had 5 dunks in his career here.

Agree that it’s ridiculous Blue Man (and me last year) get crucified for pointing out the fact that Harris has not been good (albeit for a 3ish game stretch last year) / cannot understand how some defend his play when it has been extremely underwhelming.

Someone actually defended his 3 point shooting saying it MAY LEAD TO AN OFFENSIVE REBOUND. That point is so ridiculous and pretty much makes all your takes irrelevant because you sound like you have no knowledge of the game.

Someone else wants Harris to keep shooting 3s, but wants Fatts to shoot less 3s. Again, a ridiculous take and makes you look like a fool who knows nothing about basketball.

But, like I said, this team is too good and fun to watch for me to post in this thread as much as I did last year.

Now I hope he drops 20/10 the rest of the year to help this team win. Just don’t think it’ll ever happen.
What some are tired of is that the Harris criticism never stops.
Last season there was a similar Harris thread that went to 10 pages before ATP finally locked it.
Then 2 months later this thread was started when rumor was he was leaving URI and has now become 9 pages. It has gone down the same path of Harris criticism that the previous thread did that ATP locked. So a total of 19 pages. No other player on the roster has such a thread.

The title of last year's thread I'm sure all remember Jermaine Harris - Season Expectations

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=6 ... &start=450
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Blueman needs to find a life. His message is basically the same with everyone of his lengthy posts.
We are not stupid--we know you want him to do well. There is no need to cite his stats endlessly.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago I’m glad Blue Man has taken my place in getting drilled about Harris talk!

What some are tired of is that the Harris criticism never stops.
Last season there was a similar Harris thread that went to 10 pages before ATP finally locked it.
Then 2 months later this thread was started when rumor was he was leaving URI and has now become 9 pages. It has gone down the same path of Harris criticism that the previous thread did that ATP locked. So a total of 19 pages. No other player on the roster has such a thread.

The title of last year's thread I'm sure all remember Jermaine Harris - Season Expectations

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=6 ... &start=450
Bingo!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......like any other thread here......read it/don’t read it.......reply/don’t reply......move to another one/don’t move to another one......like it/don’t like it......ya know.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Before you complain about his athleticism or lack thereof, how much do his feet hinder him? Does anybody know how bad they really are?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago Before you complain about his athleticism or lack thereof, how much do his feet hinder him? Does anybody know how bad they really are?
I think that's been a significant issue for him. His feet have been bad throughout his career here.