General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I may have missed it, but has there been any tweets regarding Thompson and the schools involved with him?
Go Rhody
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Vote on the transfer rule tomorrow.

We'll have plenty to talk about......
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

If transfer rule passes, does that help or hurt with getting Nelson? I would figure Nelson is the insurance if Fatts doesn't return? (even with the transfer rule passing?)
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

Is there an expected time for the vote?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Most likely January 2021
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Based on reports the transfer rule will not be changed for this upcoming season. It is time to get a couple players immediately eligible for this season.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

Everyone on all teams will seek a waiver based on hardship. They were misled by the belief that they would be immediately eligible. That’s hardship, right?
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago Everyone on all teams will seek a waiver based on hardship. They were misled by the belief that they would be immediately eligible. That’s hardship, right?
Time to invest in the best waiver request writer on the planet.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Can someone confirm this for me:

Are Tyrese and Jacob Toppin able to come back to URI if they wanted to? I wonder if the rule not being voted on until January 2021 affects their decisions to transfer.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

They come back...play next year...then transfer without sitting out the next year....what can go wrong?
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Keep dreaming
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Bold prediction but I think we get at least one waiver.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Bold prediction but I think we get at least one waiver.
I'm betting that we get waivers for the Mitchell twins.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Bold prediction but I think we get at least one waiver.
Just one of them. ;-)
Slava Ukraini!
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
Just one of them. ;-)
lol then i'll take Makhi
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Maybe one could play the first half and the other could play the second. Who would know?
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Well, with Fatts on board, we really didn't need Gage or even Nelson. Antonio could have helped fill out a small roster for one year.

Does this possibly pave the way for Carey for '21?
Ramulous
Sly Williams

I’m calling no waivers.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Yeah, that's the smart money, with the NCAA.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Well, with Fatts on board, we really didn't need Gage or even Nelson. Antonio could have helped fill out a small roster for one year.

With currently only 7 players eligible, we can't take on any more transfers. We need to add 2 more eligible players. I don't want to go with only 8 like we did last year.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Well, with Fatts on board, we really didn't need Gage or even Nelson. Antonio could have helped fill out a small roster for one year.

Whoever is available at point guard would walk into a great situation with both point guards graduating and good depth at most of the other spots. We really need two point guards for 2021-22, unless they think converting one of the freshman to the spot between shooting and point guard is possible. URI could offer a starting position at point guard for the following season right off the bat
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

With currently only 7 players eligible, we can't take on any more transfers. We need to add 2 more eligible players. I don't want to go with only 8 like we did last year.
Yeah, well, this is the recurring theme that you have expressed. However, I'm not convinced Cox is going to compromise with the "quality" of the players, just to get a couple of roster fillers at this late date.

If he were going to just get a couple of roster fillers, I would take TT right away and add the unsigned PG from Scotland Prep, Zachary, who is a 2 star player but seems to play a heck of a lot better than his ranking. Wagner is currently one of the teams looking at him.

Don't forget, you get a freshman, he's here for 4 years unless he is wasting away at the end of the bench or so good that a P5 is snatching him away.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

To cover the PF and C position for 80 minutes URI has Harris and Walker. Harris avg 17.7 mins and 5.4 fouls per 40 minutes. Walker avg 16.7 mins and 5.3 fouls per 40 minutes. And some people want to fill another scholarship spot with a sit out transfer.
“We will be good when we are good.”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

:ugeek:
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago

Yeah, well, this is the recurring theme that you have expressed. However, I'm not convinced Cox is going to compromise with the "quality" of the players, just to get a couple of roster fillers at this late date.

If he were going to just get a couple of roster fillers, I would take TT right away and add the unsigned PG from Scotland Prep, Zachary, who is a 2 star player but seems to play a heck of a lot better than his ranking. Wagner is currently one of the teams looking at him.

Don't forget, you get a freshman, he's here for 4 years unless he is wasting away at the end of the bench or so good that a P5 is snatching him away.
I wouldn’t dismiss the possibility that the Twins are eligible for the second semester. They left after the first semester and although they didn’t register at URI until after the season was over they might be get a waiver. They may not get it, but have a much better shot than Martin and Betrand
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago To cover the PF and C position for 80 minutes URI has Harris and Walker. Harris avg 17.7 mins and 5.4 fouls per 40 minutes. Walker avg 16.7 mins and 5.3 fouls per 40 minutes. And some people want to fill another scholarship spot with a sit out transfer.
You understand that this upcoming season is not going to be a typical season, correct? If we get a 2/3rds season out of this, we'll be lucky. Hopefully, we'll at least get the entire A-10 Conference season.

I want the best for Fatts last year, but with an eye for the future at the same time. That is the situation Cox is juggling right now. If some of you had your way, we would just grab the first Richard Rivers to come along just to have a warm body to throw in there so we can have a power forward and a center on the floor "at all times" instead of going with 3 and 4 guard small lineups with the best players you can get and get the freshman their experience.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago I wouldn’t dismiss the possibility that the Twins are eligible for the second semester. They left after the first semester and although they didn’t register at URI until after the season was over they might be get a waiver. They may not get it, but have a much better shot than Martin and Betrand
I'm not hoping against that, but I'm not banking on it either. This is the NCAA we are talking about. If you aren't Kentucky or North Carolina, they aren't interested in doing you any favors. Else they would have had an answer today, is a great example of what they are all about.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago :ugeek:

I wouldn’t dismiss the possibility that the Twins are eligible for the second semester. They left after the first semester and although they didn’t register at URI until after the season was over they might be get a waiver. They may not get it, but have a much better shot than Martin and Betrand
That is incorrect. They completed classes for the 2nd Semester at Maryland. The rule is clear that a transfer needs to be on campus for a academic year.
From the NCAA site on Transfer Rules:
“you must spend an academic year in residence at the school to which you are transferring.”
The Mitchells quit the team.
Under what exception are they getting a waiver?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago To cover the PF and C position for 80 minutes URI has Harris and Walker. Harris avg 17.7 mins and 5.4 fouls per 40 minutes. Walker avg 16.7 mins and 5.3 fouls per 40 minutes. And some people want to fill another scholarship spot with a sit out transfer.
You understand that this upcoming season is not going to be a typical season, correct? If we get a 2/3rds season out of this, we'll be lucky. Hopefully, we'll at least get the entire A-10 Conference season.

I want the best for Fatts last year, but with an eye for the future at the same time. That is the situation Cox is juggling right now. If some of you had your way, we would just grab the first Richard Rivers to come along just to have a warm body to throw in there so we can have a power forward and a center on the floor "at all times" instead of going with 3 and 4 guard small lineups with the best players you can get and get the freshman their experience.
You can actually take either side on this? Without two more quality players (hopefully bigs) the team isn’t talented enough even with Fatts and lacks any depth. You could also say that if you could land top notch players even if they weren’t eligible this year would make for a very strong team in 2021-22. Granted Fatts last year would probably go to waste with not enough around him. I can’t see much bring left for immediate eligible players at this point.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago :ugeek:

That is incorrect. They completed classes for the 2nd Semester at Maryland. The rule is clear that a transfer needs to be on campus for a academic year.
From the NCAA site on Transfer Rules:
“you must spend an academic year in residence at the school to which you are transferring.”
The Mitchells quit the team.
Under what exception are they getting a waiver?
The coronavirus 2020 care act! I’m probably hoping more than anything in this case. As you pointed out this could be a very thin team depth wise
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Right now, we have the COVID pandemic, right? When you go to the store, do you find all of your favorite things there every time?

Remember when toilet paper and paper towels and bleach were so scarce you could go a month without seeing them?

Quality bigs are the toilet paper, the paper towels and the bleach. The shelves are bare. We had a good one in Ousmane who was like Charmin Ultra extra butt lotion, and he bolted for a lateral move to North Texas. Bacon-Medley was serviceable but he picked VCU instead.

Go with the best ingredients you can get.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I guess in my mind, after the mass exodus, I only envisioned Harris and Walker manning the 5 spot with a little spill over into the 4, meaning when they are on the floor at the same time. Granted, of the people who left, only Toppin and Long qualified as "4's" and that is a stretch, they were swing forwards at best. In Long's case, a swing foward with no outside shooting ability at all.

It's not like beyond Ousmane we ever actually compensated for Cyril's departure, considering the twins were never going to be for this year without a waiver or a ruling.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I guarantee you that Cox doesn’t start the season with SIX ineligible transfers on the bench. I will accept bets.
He is going to fill the last two spots with eligible players. He doesn’t have a choice. For the health and safety of the current players, he needs front court players to eat minutes. He lost 56 minutes per game from last year’s players and has added ZERO front court minutes. On top of that he lost an additional 47 mpg from Martin & Long and replaces that with only DJ. That is 103 mpg and one player has been added.

He lost five underclassmen from the start of last year’s season. You can’t recover from that but you also can’t have a disastrous year.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I messed up that analogy back there.

Quality bigs are clorox wipes and lysol laundry sanitizer.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I guess in my mind, after the mass exodus, I only envisioned Harris and Walker manning the 5 spot with a little spill over into the 4, meaning when they are on the floor at the same time. Granted, of the people who left, only Toppin and Long qualified as "4's" and that is a stretch, they were swing forwards at best. In Long's case, a swing foward with no outside shooting ability at all.

It's not like beyond Ousmane we ever actually compensated for Cyril's departure, considering the twins were never going to be for this year without a waiver or a ruling.
Harris and Walker will both start. They are the only two rebounders on the team.
Topin absolutely played the 4. Topin avg 19 mpg & Long 13 = 32. Martin avg 34 mpg so a majority of Topin’s and Long’s time was at the 4.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Anyone know anything about Vladislav Goldin, center playing out in Putnam? Is a 2020 big with no reported interest but texas tech.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

So, answer me this. When Walker starts, is he going to do what Cyril did last year? Is he going to SACRIFICE his body down low. Take the BEATING game to game. LIVE under the basket. Grab countless rebounds, and attempt to put the offensive ones back in traffic with people elbowing him in the face.

OR

Is he going to sit on the perimeter and call for the ball like he did last year?

At least Harris, for all of the flack he gets on this site, is at least willing to try to do those things. I cannot see Walker voluntarily doing it on a full time basis, I do agree he will play a lot, and only because we are desperate.

When he is out: 4 guard set with the one big man, Harris.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Being a 4 doesn't mean being 6'7" or 6'8" or taller. Being a 4 means you bring a certain attitude to the table. You are willing to do certain things that a heck of a lot of people out there are not willing to do.

I will admit that losing Topping and Long means losing their Defense however.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago So, answer me this. When Walker starts, is he going to do what Cyril did last year? Is he going to SACRIFICE his body down low. Take the BEATING game to game. LIVE under the basket. Grab countless rebounds, and attempt to put the offensive ones back in traffic with people elbowing him in the face.

OR

Is he going to sit on the perimeter and call for the ball like he did last year?

At least Harris, for all of the flack he gets on this site, is at least willing to try to do those things. I cannot see Walker voluntarily doing it on a full time basis, I do agree he will play a lot, and only because we are desperate.

When he is out: 4 guard set with the one big man, Harris.
I agree with you on Walker, but we really don't have much choice at this point in the front court. There will be a ton of pressure on Harris if they can't fill the last two spots with front court players. Harris has battled both injuries and foul trouble his first two years and will be much more effective playing 25 minutes than 35 a night. Just like next years point guard spot for URI someone out there could get an immediate starting spot or at the least 20+ minutes a game next year. I'm not sure if anyone is left that would help. Grad transfers are mostly decided.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree we will fill the last 2 spots with players that can play immediately, hopefully a big guy that plays the 4 and 5 to help out JH and AW and then we can use a 3 guy who is decent
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Agree we will fill the last 2 spots with players that can play immediately, hopefully a big guy that plays the 4 and 5 to help out JH and AW and then we can use a 3 guy who is decent

DITTO
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

It would have been perfect if Ousmane stuck around.

Also, not to lament, but we would be fully loaded and projected top 2/3 in the A10 if Toppin stuck around.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

1. Still love the core 4 players on this team, expect huge seasons from JH and Walker. 2. If freshmen can play, we might see 5 to 10 mins a game with a four guard rotation to spell the bigs (as the team is currently constituted. 3. Crossing fingers on DJ - kid can clearly shoot and has length to be a good defender.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Also - very clearly I would target both Taurean Thompson and Jalen Carey. Take Carey for for 21' and have at least 5 players who can't transfer again if the rule does pass next winter (5 really good players at that). Thompson would make next year an offensive juggernaut.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

The kid can really put the ball in the basket. His body is a Ferrari. He's the embodiment of "if I were 6'10" I could get the ball in the basket nearly every time". He's playing twister with two tall trees under the hoop and somehow his arm weaves in the middle of all of that and flips the ball in.

If he were judged strictly on his offensive ability, no issues whatsoever. He is a defensive liability, but he still merits up to 15 mins a game. The highlight games like the one vs Kentucky, they used him very strategically, mostly in the second half, when it was like, what do we have to lose? If we don't score we're cooked anyway, put him in.

If your bigs foul out with 5-10 mins to go. Perfect. It's TT time, that's when he plays best anyway. at the very end of the game when you need points and the other team is winded.
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Are we involved with Thompson? Who else is involved with him? I've seen very little being reported on Thompson. Does anyone here have any info on Thompson's recruitment?
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

79RhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago Are we involved with Thompson? Who else is involved with him? I've seen very little being reported on Thompson. Does anyone here have any info on Thompson's recruitment?
I'm pretty sure people are trying to speak it into being. If I have the timeline right, he would have to sit out his senior year in order to play a post-grad year somewhere, unless he got a waiver. Seeing that he was the target of a tampering investigation between Seton Hall and Syracuse, I wouldn't be optimistic of the NCAA doing a solid for him. I kind of assume that interest in him from power conference teams has been lukewarm, and as a result, he might just look for pro opportunities, since he's 6'10", athletic and has a pulse. The last items on him in Google News are from the time of his transfer, and in articles about Seton Hall since then. (I assume that all recruiting news is even more speculation than usual right now.)
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Wait a minute.

1st year: Syracuse
2nd year: Sit out at Seton Hall
3rd year: Seton Hall
4th year: Seton Hall

So, if he graduated Seton Hall, why would he have to sit out again?
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Also, the NCAA punished Seton Hall for recruiting violations, which they were clearly guilty of. It's not even open for discussion. They contacted him mom like 160 times by text message without Syracuse's approval, and they have all of the evidence.

Why would they target Taurean Thompson himself? They don't typically target the actual student involved. If anything, they consider the student athlete the "victim".
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Also, the NCAA punished Seton Hall for recruiting violations, which they were clearly guilty of. It's not even open for discussion. They contacted him mom like 160 times by text message without Syracuse's approval, and they have all of the evidence.

Why would they target Taurean Thompson himself? They don't typically target the actual student involved. If anything, they consider the student athlete the "victim".
Because it's the NCAA. Being petty and cashing TV checks is their whole deal.

He's also been connected with zero schools - like, there is zero news out there except for the March stuff about his transfer - which makes me think it is more likely he's done with college ball, then him suiting up for a college in 2020-21. There's barely any indication we offered him years ago, and at that time, we didn't make his cut list of like, seven or eight schools. I would be happy to be wrong - he's tall, we need anyone tall and breathing at this point - but again, there have been crickets about him.