Italy Trip Updates #Rhody2Rome

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Italy Trip Updates #Rhody2Rome

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Couldn't agree more with the Mike Powell comments. Nothing will be given to EC. He will play an important role on the team this year and should get significant minutes. But he is going to need to earn the starting PG position from Powell and I just don't see it happening this season. Powell is experienced and battle tested. We all know EC has the greater potential but he is very raw and has a lot to learn before he becomes a true floor general.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:Butler the only one not mentioned.
Butler should be a nice backup next year to Jared.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ace wrote:Butler the only one not mentioned.
Butler should be a nice backup next year to Jared.
Make it happen.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

To start the season I'm going with Powell, X, Minnis, Hare, Biruta... I think you will see different starting options for Minnis depending on match-ups and while I have concerns with Hare guarding big bodies, he should get most starts. The others are locks.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will guess Powell, X, EC, Hare and Gil to start
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote:I will guess Powell, X, EC, Hare and Gil to start
I honestly think we'll see a different starting lineup a lot of the time based on matchups just because we can.

Iffy was talked about a lot by hurley as one of the best big men on the team...I truly believe the only constants throughout the season will be Biruta and X
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I also think Biruta and X will be fixtures in the starting five. I don't know that the rest of the lineup will change based on matchups, but I do think it will evolve over the course of the year based on how guys play and that by the end of the year we may have used a half dozen or so different starting groups.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I think the line-up will largely stay the same game by game. What will change is some players' minutes based on match-ups/performance.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ace is likely correct, as I'm sure Dan uses the starting lineup as a motivator for the guys. Who doesn't like having their name called during the intro ceremony?!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:I think the line-up will largely stay the same game by game. What will change is some players' minutes based on match-ups/performance.
Ace, you know far more about Dan's coaching than I do. You think that if Powell starts at the 1 in the first game of the year, for example, that he automatically start all ~30 games? I find that a little hard to believe. I think you might have a couple positions where veterans break camp in the starting five but could potentially be replaced by younger guys that play their way past the veterans. Maybe the young guys win the jobs in the preseason and I'm wrong, or maybe they don't emerge as expected, but I'd be pretty surprised if Coach Hurley kept a guy in the starting five and played him 13 minutes while his backup played 25-30 minutes. That seems like a Baron move to me.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I don't think that's what Ace said, TP. Saying the starters will stay largely the same doesn't mean there can't be gradual transition from one play to another. What won't happen is the starting line changes mix and match game to game.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ah Ok. Then I misunderstood and we were saying the same thing. But I was confused because I had just said the lineup won't change from game to game based in matchups, but over the course of the year you could see several different lineups. I thought Ace was disagreeing with me.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Obviously, the lack of depth this year kind of tied Hurley's hands, but it wouldn't surprise me if we saw similar starting lineups this year anyway. i.e. The opening game starters, probably three or four will start every game, with some turnover in the other one or two spots. X and Biruta seem like the guarantees. Last year, Powell, X and Malone started every game (IIRC), with some combination of Malesevic, Brooks, Hare and Aaman in the final two spots from game to game based on health, energy level in practice and overall talent.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

My comment was just my thoughts, not necessarily a response to anyone else's. I do think Hurley will know who his guys are by the time the season starts. If we're going to see changes, then yes, I think that will be before conference play starts. He's stubborn, but he's not just going to stick with a guy as a starter if there is a better situation for the team. The minutes are what are likelier to somewhat vary game by game, not the line-up, which is what I said above. This situation, though, is pretty much uncharted waters for Hurley, or any coach really. Working in 7 new players and having only 5 who he's coached in real game time is a unique situation. It still amazes me that Powell and Buchanan are the only guys still around from just two years ago.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Australia has not been kind to the teams making their foreign trips there- Cullen Neal (New Mexico) had an appendectomy while there and Roosevelt Jones (Butler) tore ligaments in his wrist and is out for the season. Butler could be in for a rough one this season.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Ace: I agree that it's amazing how quickly the roster was turned over
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Even with the understanding that Rothstein is super optimistic about almost everything, this is fun to hear...

Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Yeah, if EC approached these accomplishments:

http://www.goxavier.com/sports/m-baskbl ... 99087.html

I'd be pretty happy with him!

Ace, Rothstein probably has 40 teams in his Top 25.
Slava Ukraini!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Yeah, but he only has one DAN HURLEY! 8-)
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

FWIW, http://nbadraft.net/ has a way-too-early projection of Christon going 8th in the 2014 NBA Draft (http://www.draftexpress.com/ has him going #20). There was a rumor floating around that Hurley thinks E.C. can be a lottery pick - if so, Rothstein seemingly agrees.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I don't know if he ever said lottery pick, but DH did say in an interview that EC had NBA potential.
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Our superfan and fellow poster Essam and Preston's mom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Well, now I know what Essam looks like!!!!!!!!!!!
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Essam! Maybe now I can spot you at the Ryan Center.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Why don't we have a designated game when we all wear GIANT name tags with our Keaney Blue handles!!!
8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-)
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I can attest to Essam and his wife taking copious game notes at each of the games I attended. Superfan's indeed!!! Mind you one of those games was being played in a 100 degree overn!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

He was going to forward much of what he was writing here, but
he hurt his arm, and wasn't able to do so.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

ace wrote:Even with the understanding that Rothstein is super optimistic about almost everything, this is fun to hear...

Efficiency. Hallelujah.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Both Clemson and St. Joe’s have now concluded their ten-day tour of Italy with both schools coming away with 4-0 records. (Did URI have a game unexpectedly cancelled to give them only three games?) It’s hard to draw any solid comparisons between the play of each school given the different teams they faced and the level of the Italian competition. URI and Clemson did play one common foe in the Vicenza All Stars – Clemson won, 83-67, URI won 91-79.

The tour coverage provided a more definitive comparison and Clemson won that hands down. Clemson had a daily journal highlighting the activities of the day in a lengthy report complete with photos. On game days, they added a recap of game to the journal along with a box score, both of which was regularly posted one hour after game ended. Video reports were added much later. They also did a summary of trip and a provided a combined team stat report. The Clemson website was an effective facilitator of the trip which kept their followers/supporters very much involved with every aspect of the trip.

Other than the Cox reports, URI coverage was only fair. URI was the only school not to have a daily journal and the website never issued a box score for the last game nor did the website concentrate tour information in one spot easy to access. URI had some good photos. St. Joe’s coverage was also wanting and the Hawks site provided no box scores and limited photos. All three schools used twitter for info and in-game scores.

BTW, Davidson is currently ending a two-week tour of Slovenia/Italy. In Slovenia they played some pro teams rather than a collection of all stars. They lost their first game on the tour, but are now 4-1 with one game remaining.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Dear Obadiah!
Well, I'm glad I had all of the those MULTIPLE ORGASMS -- JUST WAITING -- FOR ANY TRIP INFO!!!!!! FOR ANY GAME INFO!!!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
It was exciting! It was exciting, because as a fan, I HAD SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO AND WAS ABLE TO SHARE WITH FELLOW-FANS -- THAT GREAT ANTICIPATION OF TAKING PART OF SOMETHING SOMEHOW GREAT AND REWARDING!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Relatively-writing, the coverage was what it was, and I was THRILLED to get word from Cox, the Tweets, the messages from "Il Nostro Uomo Internazionale" (BAR), photos from the kids, messages from Coach Hurley, and so on. :o :o :o :o :o :o
Was it the greatest coverage by the school???? No, but the next time, it should be better! I have no idea who accompanied the team from the SID's office, etc., I do know this: URI's pockets don't run as deep as Clemson's "IPTAY" group, or whatever incarnation it is today. (It's probably "IPTTAY." "I Pay Twenty-Thousand A Year.") The school/team was scrambling for funds. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Why don't you send your suggestions to the Athletic Department (if you have any) and go stand in the corner for bringing this up 10 days after the very successful URI TEAM'S AND ITS SUPPORTERS' TRIP CONCLUDED!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Also, while we waded through any possible link to the team's journey, I can only recall "a few" postings tinged with frustration, none overtly negative. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Why don't you scroll through the seven pages of the thread. I have. It sort of reminds me of my own "journals" I've kept abroad and brought a smile to my face. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry, bressler if you did like my opinion on the information coverage of the tour. As Dan Hurley has so well stated, continuous improvement is key to the way he operates and wants to drive the program. One aspect of continuous improvement is the process of benchmarking, the act of looking at the best that your competition offers up and tries to do them one better. This Hurley approach is what makes his presence at URI so exciting given the years we had to endure the mediocrity of Jim Baron and his acceptance of being average. All of us on this board want this program to compete with the big dogs, but to do that we have to continually push for change and improvement on all fronts and not merely accept things as they are.

BTW, I posted earlier in this thread that I would be benchmarking Clemson and St. Joseph's. They just concluded their tour which explains the timing.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Gotcha, my apologies! (At least you gave me the opportunity to make my post tantalizingly, welllllllll, "IMAGINATIVE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I will say, Clemson has resources due to its football status that URI can't reasonably expect to compete with considering where we are at the moment in the program's arc. The goal is to be there someday, but that is something that will not happen overnight. You may look at it and say "how hard is it to record a game recap or write a game story and post them to the athletic dept.'s webpage?" But Clemson has a website and technological infrastructure at its disposal that wasn't built by or for the basketball program. Those are the kinds of "soft" advantages that BCS football programs have, and Clemson has a pretty rabid football fan base.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Cox Sports will air its exclusive insider special “Rhody in Rome” Friday October 18 at 10pm, on OSN (Channels 5 and 1005 for Cox Subscribers).
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Doesn't matter who starts the games. It is always about who finishes it.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

In addition to tonight (Sunday) at 10:00pm, Rhody2Rome will also be re-broadcast at the following days/times:

Monday 8:00pm
Friday 8:30pm
Saturday 10:00pm
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
Thanks for the reminder, Ace! Setting the DVR!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Watched it this morning. Really enjoyed how the Cox team had a good mix of the trip and the basketball highlights.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Does anybody know why this is not on Cox sports for people who live in CT? I'm worried Cox might not be showing the URI games in CT moving forward as well. It's the only reason why I even keep Cox cable!
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

FYI - Cox YurView is showing the half hour Rhody to Rome special tonight (5/8) at 10:30 pm. This shows the 2013-14 Rams when they went to Rome to play 3 exhibition games.
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

spookydog wrote: 4 years ago FYI - Cox YurView is showing the half hour Rhody to Rome special tonight (5/8) at 10:30 pm. This shows the 2013-14 Rams when they went to Rome to play 3 exhibition games.
Spookydog,
I don’t see it. Can I view the show on your view.com? I don’t have cox cable tv.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Is there a link someone can post here ??
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
spookydog wrote: 4 years ago FYI - Cox YurView is showing the half hour Rhody to Rome special tonight (5/8) at 10:30 pm. This shows the 2013-14 Rams when they went to Rome to play 3 exhibition games.
Spookydog,
I don’t see it. Can I view the show on your view.com? I don’t have cox cable tv.
Sorry I am just seeing this now. Sorry about that.
Anyone else get to watch it?
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

spookydog wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Spookydog,
Sorry I am just seeing this now. Sorry about that.
Anyone else get to watch it?
I watched it. Not a lot of basketball mostly showed the team touring though Italy, making Pizza, Walking with tour guides. But it was fun to watch. Hass and EC looked like babies. Gilvydas was really kind of endearing, very interested in everything. A few short interviews.