2020 A10 Tournament Talk

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RamFaninSF
Abdul Fox

Re: 2020 A10 Tournament Talk

Unread post by RamFaninSF »

I've been going to the A-10's every year since '07, and I can't remember having a better draw than this. Beat Duquesne, then Richmond, and you're in the conference finals is something we all would have taken in November.

That said, we haven't been playing this poorly going into a conference tourney in a while. But I believe in stats, and after the last few, that means Fatts and Jeff are due to break out.
RamFaninSF
Abdul Fox

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Still don’t think they’re good. I’ve explained why numerous times so I’m not going to do it again now. But the thing that has changed for me is that I don’t think we are very good, either, or at least we aren’t playing well over the last month.
At some point you can just say you’re wrong though?

Or on the otherside I can just respect the blind commitment to an incomplete opinion.
I fall somewhere in the middle with my opinion of Richmond, but if you asked me who I'd rather see in the Semi-Finals: Richmond/SLU/SBU/Davidson as crazy as this may sound I think I'd pick Richmond.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I believe Richmond is an at large team if they make the finals and lose to Dsyton if they get snubbed in that scenario that would be weak
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

RamFaninSF wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Still don’t think they’re good. I’ve explained why numerous times so I’m not going to do it again now. But the thing that has changed for me is that I don’t think we are very good, either, or at least we aren’t playing well over the last month.

Or on the otherside I can just respect the blind commitment to an incomplete opinion.
I fall somewhere in the middle with my opinion of Richmond, but if you asked me who I'd rather see in the Semi-Finals: Richmond/SLU/SBU/Davidson as crazy as this may sound I think I'd pick Richmond.
TP is clearly in denial. You can’t say you know anything about basketball and say RICHMOND isn’t good. They can play.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

reef wrote: 4 years ago I believe Richmond is an at large team if they make the finals and lose to Dsyton if they get snubbed in that scenario that would be weak
I think they are getting snubbed if they lose in the finals to Dayton. It will be very close. They should definitely be in and makes you wonder why they or anyone in a smaller conference would even waste their time playing the regular season games. Might as well not bother and try to win the auto bid since it is the only way in for them. The problem is the teams behind and in front will all get better wins in conference play. If these teams falter than they could move in. I would be ticked if I was a Richmond fan that all these garbage teams like Texas and Stanford are ahead of them. This is why I said if we had won that St.Louis game we weren’t even close to a lock.
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

Mason over Joes.

GW over Fordham.

VCU over UMass.

Bona over Mason.

Duquesne over GW.

Davidson over LaSalle.

VCU over Dayton (!)

SLU over Bona.

URI over Duquesne.

Richmond over Davidson.

VCU over SLU.

URI over Richmond.

URI over VCU.

This has to be what happens, because of the law of the inevitability of Jeff and Cyril knocking VCU out of the conference tourney.

In reality, the VCU-Dayton result will be reversed and the championship game will be Dayton over URI
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago I’m not sure where we got this idea that Richmond is some trash team this year - but they are much better and much more consistent than us.

Considering that we haven’t been able to convincingly beat anyone in the last 3 weeks - I’m not sure how anyone has confidence going into this weekend.

Anything could happen - but the blasé attitude towards Richmond all year has been wild to me.

We have sucked for a month. Let’s really take this one game at a time.
I agree with all you have said BM. All is was stating is I think we have a better chance to beat them then St Louis and Dayton. Obviously we will need to get by DUQ first. I think Richmond is a good match up. Golden is big and pretty good but not dominant like Obi or French. I dont think Golden is as good as a defender either. I am with you - we had it really going until the last 4-5 games and confidence is something we dont have like we have had in some past years coming into the A10's. I just think we got lucky with the draw and our chances to make the finals are better with the side of the bracket we are on
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'd like to believe we can make the finals, but...

We will have to play better than we have lately, just to beat Duquesne. I think we will.

Then we will have to play as well as we can to beat [likely] Richmond. I think we won't.

Forget Dayton. Even if St. Louis can somehow beat Dayton, what would we have left for that?

If you average out the season, I think we're right about where we should be.

See you at the Ryan for a 1st round NIT game. We'll be a 3 or 4 seed.

If we had lost last night, we would likely not even have gotten a home game.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Yeah. If I thought I was wrong I’d definitely say so. I’ve said I was wrong about a ton of things here. I do think they’ll probably roll us if we play them next Saturday unless we somehow get back to where we were a month ago.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

Yeah. If I thought I was wrong I’d definitely say so. I’ve said I was wrong about a ton of things here. I do think they’ll probably roll us if we play them next Saturday unless we somehow get back to where we were a month ago.
Dude, they are good. Period. They will roll everyone in the A10, at their current pace, except for Dayton.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

So TP what you're saying is only one A10 team belongs in the tourney.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The A10 imo will get 2 teams in, somehow.

The question is, who's the 2nd team?

Richmond needs to get to the finals to lock up a bid.

Otherwise, someone else needs to steal a bid by beating the Flyers.

Right now, St. Louis looks like the only candidate....just like last season.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Tjrams91 wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

Dude, they are good. Period. They will roll everyone in the A10, at their current pace, except for Dayton.
I think SLU would smoke them again
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago

This is not far from the truth...
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago

Probably. But I think if it came down to Richmond or SLU, I would take SLU in a head-to-head and if I were on the committee deciding between the two teams. I think most likely neither of them will get in unless SLU beats Dayton on Saturday.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don’t know how, if you actually watched Richmond a few times, you can think they aren’t good. They have 2 efficient and quality guards, an elite level 3 point shooter, a decent big that can pass and rebound and a role playing versatile PF. And all those guys are 3rd or 4th year Juniors. Them and St Louis will be preseason 1 and 2 next year.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Richmond is in - they beat Wisconsin which is the best win by anyone in the conference and they have mostly taken care of business otherwise.

Richmond is a good team, but in a tourney setting I would rather play them then SLU because our guards can wear down their guards. SLU is just a bad matchup for us. SLU is also a good team. If I were on the committee the top four A10 teams would be in with SLU and Rhody in the first four matchups.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Richmond is in - they beat Wisconsin which is the best win by anyone in the conference and they have mostly taken care of business otherwise.

Richmond is a good team, but in a tourney setting I would rather play them then SLU because our guards can wear down their guards. SLU is just a bad matchup for us. SLU is also a good team. If I were on the committee the top four A10 teams would be in with SLU and Rhody in the first four matchups.
Richmond is a very good basketball team. TP likes to call them soft but its a basketball game not a tough man competition. I can't believe that some posters here think that the A-10 might only deserve one bid. The league was good out of conference this year we can not help that Dayton is a super team. Dayton would have rolled through the big east as well.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I like the number three draw. I think we can beat Duquesne. I’d rather play them over Davidson, SB or VCU. We have a short rest to regroup and win two games to get to the finals.

Let’s do this. See you in Brooklyn.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......just get the double bye, go from there....
.......I am still going with this.....considering to road getting here wasn’t exactly a Sunday drive ta a day at the beach......but here we are, looking forward to the twists and turns of the A-10 Tourney.......March Madness is here, buckle up......Go Rhody......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Richmond is in - they beat Wisconsin which is the best win by anyone in the conference and they have mostly taken care of business otherwise.

Beating Providence is up there, esp. if they can win the BE.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It’s about the best possible draw we could have had considering the circumstances.

My thoughts on this season. It wasn’t a disaster, we finished 3rd after being predicted 4th, won 21 games. VCUs season was a disaster. But what stings is that numerous things had lined up in our favor and a clear path to the tourney existed.

Think of all the things that fell our way - no Daly or Ossuniyi when we played SJU and Bonnies. We lose our 2 seniors for 1 game and happen to be SJU and Fordham the worst two teams in league. No Bassey when we played WKU. Despite not getting that signature win we were being given very favorable treatment by bracketologists for playing a tough schedule and were more highly regarded than I think we had earned. Then we had an awful 2 weeks of dreadful offense and no effort defense. We were never a no doubt ncaa team- we had inherent flaws. We were always a fringe NIT/NCAA bubble team IMO.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Richmond is getting shafted by the bracketologists.

I suspect the committee might value them a little more.

They could be in with a win in the quarterfinal.
Probably in if they make it to the final.

Saint Louis may have a chance to get an at-large if they make it to the final with a win over Dayton.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago It’s about the best possible draw we could have had considering the circumstances.

My thoughts on this season. It wasn’t a disaster, we finished 3rd after being predicted 4th, won 21 games. VCUs season was a disaster. But what stings is that numerous things had lined up in our favor and a clear path to the tourney existed.

Think of all the things that fell our way - no Daly or Ossuniyi when we played SJU and Bonnies. We lose our 2 seniors for 1 game and happen to be SJU and Fordham the worst two teams in league. No Bassey when we played WKU. Despite not getting that signature win we were being given very favorable treatment by bracketologists for playing a tough schedule and were more highly regarded than I think we had earned. Then we had an awful 2 weeks of dreadful offense and no effort defense. We were never a no doubt ncaa team- we had inherent flaws. We were always a fringe NIT/NCAA bubble team IMO.
Also considering Walker wasn’t eligible until after PC, along with all the other roster debacles that happens pre-season and mid season.
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The bracket with game times and TV coverage:
Screenshot_2020-03-08 If the A10 Tournament Started Today, 2020 Edition.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RamFaninSF
Abdul Fox

Interesting to note Richmond went 1-3 against the Top 5 teams in the conference, with the lone win obviously against us way back on Jan. 5.

We all know Duquesne and Davidson are solid wins, but from an outsiders perspective, not having a single win in the last two months against anyone better than the 6th best team in the A-10 is probably why there needle hasn't moved much
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I have to say. I like our path. It seems all the teams with size are on the other side of the bracket.

If this team can somehow find their lock down defense again there is no reason we can’t make it to Sunday. Won’t be easy but it all resolved around the defense.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

So who is going to be there?

Ive heard a lot of people say they were going, but now...”not this year.” I’m packing my hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes and heading out Wednesday to watch all of the games...unless Bernie tells us to stay home, I’ll be cheering on our boys.

#GoRhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I want UMass to win so we can see Tre Mitchell take on Obi.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Richmond is getting shafted by the bracketologists.

Saint Louis may have a chance to get an at-large if they make it to the final with a win over Dayton.
Richmond has no chance without at least getting to the finals. I think they should be in, but not going to happen with teams in front and behind them having big opportunities. Also the shot of 1-2 teams that win conference final that changes everything. Much rather see Richmond than Stanford or Texas
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago

Richmond is a very good basketball team. TP likes to call them soft but its a basketball game not a tough man competition. I can't believe that some posters here think that the A-10 might only deserve one bid. The league was good out of conference this year we can not help that Dayton is a super team. Dayton would have rolled through the big east as well.

I'm not sure how you think the league was good out of conference. the entire league has a grand total of ONE win over a team in the AP top 25 (Richmond over Wisconsin). and i don't believe dayton has even beaten a team in the AP top 40!
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Richmond is getting shafted by the bracketologists.

so in your last scenario you have 3 A10 teams in (dayton, St. Louis and whoever beats St. Louis in the final). I don't think so.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago It’s about the best possible draw we could have had considering the circumstances.

Also considering Walker wasn’t eligible until after PC, along with all the other roster debacles that happens pre-season and mid season.

i don't think walker is a difference maker... and we had tate instead so at best only a minor uptick.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

If Richmond loses Friday and we make it to Sunday - does anyone think that gives us an outside chance ?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago If Richmond loses Friday and we make it to Sunday - does anyone think that gives us an outside chance ?
Zero percent. That would mean we have two more wins over bad A-10 teams. It won’t move the needle at all. I’d be surprised if we even got into the next four out.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago If Richmond loses Friday and we make it to Sunday - does anyone think that gives us an outside chance ?
I do. Some other things need to shake out our way but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Fatts needs to find his shot quickly or it’s going to be a short tournament for us!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If Richmond makes the finals and loses to Dayton they be 26-7 that has to be at least 90 % to get a bid
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 4 years ago
I do. Some other things need to shake out our way but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.
I think Rhody needs to win the tournament to dance, but to have even the slightest chance, they need to beat Richmond in the semis, not Davidson or, good lord, LaSalle. They need a quality win. Maybe a close loss or overtime loss to Dayton to have even the slightest chance. I don’t think this would be enough, though, give our record the past two weeks. The committee wants at large teams that can compete, and scraping out one point wins at Fordham and UMASS does not present a good case.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
Zero percent. That would mean we have two more wins over bad A-10 teams. It won’t move the needle at all. I’d be surprised if we even got into the next four out.
Zero chance

URI NET is 57

URI RPI is 30

So prior to last season I would say definitely because the RPI is 30

With a NET of 57 however the hell its calculated there is no way URI gets an at large and not win the A-10,

Only way to NCAA now is to win the A-10 Championship just like for all teams not named Dayton

I think Richmond could go to the A-10 Championship and lose but even that’s not a lock

A-10, NET numbers are simply not good. A10 RPI numbers for Top 4 teams are solid but RPI got “fired”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Are we allowed to root for Dayton to lose yet?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Are we allowed to root for PC to lose yet?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Can we stop talking about RPI since every other basketball fan, media and most importantly the selection committee have.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No.
Because that is exactly what the NCAA wants.
There is a reason why several sites still track RPI. It provides a benchmark from which to measure the gap between NET today and how things would have looked prior to last season.

The RPI was managed by the NCAA. If it was so bad then why didn’t the NCAA fix it? Adjust it?
Why did the NCAA need to come out with something new and rebrand it?
And have the formula a secret to this day?

I don’t trust the NCAA with this secret formula at all

Seeing DePaul and St Johns NET rankings so high for such bad teams makes no sense. But these high NET levels for the bottom of the NBE helps the upper teams of the NBE. They don’t get impacted much like teams in the A-10, AAC, WCC, MVC, etc get.

The NCAA would love nothing more than for the RPI to not be looked at but the formula was simple, and so it’s out there and continues to be tracked.

Having a secret NET is infuriating.

RPI is still widely used in other NCAA sports, just not Men’s Basketball.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Are we allowed to root for PC to lose yet?
Another great question! I'm not sure we're officially 'past the point where they can help us' yet, are we?. You'd have to get someone that cares knows more about that than me to weigh in...I would be okay with having (soundly) beaten the NBE champs anytime though.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CBS Sports Tracks RPI along with NET
FB40CD76-89D6-408B-BD9A-69C90D320B4E.png
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/rankings/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Reported that Team Sheets still includes Strength of Schedule (SOS) as derived from RPI

D78A47F7-80A9-48C5-B1A9-62BE1C53C37A.png
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-baske ... ng-by-conf
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

So RPI although maybe not a significant tool, is still used in some way.
GO RAMS
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago No.
Because that is exactly what the NCAA wants.
There is a reason why several sites still track RPI. It provides a benchmark from which to measure the gap between NET today and how things would have looked prior to last season.

The RPI was managed by the NCAA. If it was so bad then why didn’t the NCAA fix it? Adjust it?
Why did the NCAA need to come out with something new and rebrand it?
And have the formula a secret to this day?

I don’t trust the NCAA with this secret formula at all

Seeing DePaul and St Johns NET rankings so high for such bad teams makes no sense. But these high NET levels for the bottom of the NBE helps the upper teams of the NBE. They don’t get impacted much like teams in the A-10, AAC, WCC, MVC, etc get.

The NCAA would love nothing more than for the RPI to not be looked at but the formula was simple, and so it’s out there and continues to be tracked.

Having a secret NET is infuriating.

RPI is still widely used in other NCAA sports, just not Men’s Basketball.
Obvious nepotism hire Dan Gavitt: “Transparency? We don’t need no stinkin’ transparency!”
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago So RPI although maybe not a significant tool, is still used in some way.
Correct