3/4 | Dayton | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 3/4 | Dayton | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by ramster »

scine20 wrote: 4 years ago This is bad but I don't think it reaches 2007-2008 level. To be honest that team was more talented than this team and they were, what, 20-3? 20-4? Something like that. And they went from one of those records to the 11 seed in the Atlantic 10 Tournament. Think about that for a second. They lost, what, 8 of their last 9 games or something like that?

As a college player, Will Daniels was better than anyone on URI right now. They never had a shooter like they had in Baron. Cothran, Ulmer, Bittee and Seawright were all solid players and better than almost everyone on the current team. If you were combining the two teams to make a 9-man rotation you'd have more players on the 2007-2008 team than today's team.

I realize that what's going on is fresh and I've seen some say this is worse than the collapses under Baron. It's not. At least when compared to the 2007-2008 team.
But that was a collapse with Baron.
This is a collapse under the Hurley/Cox regime

We got 8000 people. We want students, we want paying fans - we get them and put on a miserable display.

Under Baron we would sometimes get big games like this. Games on National TV back then and then we would lay an egg. I’d be embarrassed with friends who I’d say to them to watch the game.

Last night reminded me of those days. I never worried about Hurley led teams. I knew Hurley teams would fight to the end, Hurley would fight to the end. But last night was embarrassing but much more than that a lost opportunity:
Senior Night
Jam Packed House
#3 Ranked Team in the Nation and an A-10 Team!!
National TV
Bar Stool Sports In The House
6’11” Recruit in the House
Numerous other future recruiting prospects in the house
Dowtin and Langevine potential 1st Team A-10, 4 year players
Potential NBA Star and Draft Lottery Pick Obi Toppin
Obi’s Brother playing for us

We swung and missed

It reminded me of past Baron Opportunities missed

Dan Hurley led team wouldn’t have missed - I don’t think
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

And after this, what is the state of affairs when it comes to the practice facility, more charters, and more money for the assistants?

Actually, maybe we should hold off on the "more money for the assistants" thing, for now. And the HC, too.

One thing's for sure, they aren't doing a very good job when it comes to teaching how to make layups.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

forget the offense for a minute.

WTF happened to the defense over the last few games? Teams are shooting over 50% against us and mostly getting layups. That's what really frustrates me. I know we are going to struggle offensively because our offense has become either Fatts or Cyril dribble too much and play hero ball.

Oh yea, one more thing. next year is going ti be unbearable to watch with Fatts having no one else to take the ball up. This may look like the Eric Leslie days.

Did anyone else look at Josh King, when they announced him, and go whose the guy with the hair?
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
But that was a collapse with Baron.
This is a collapse under the Hurley/Cox regime

We got 8000 people. We want students, we want paying fans - we get them and put on a miserable display.

Under Baron we would sometimes get big games like this. Games on National TV back then and then we would lay an egg. I’d be embarrassed with friends who I’d say to them to watch the game.

Last night reminded me of those days. I never worried about Hurley led teams. I knew Hurley teams would fight to the end, Hurley would fight to the end. But last night was embarrassing but much more than that a lost opportunity:
Senior Night
Jam Packed House
#3 Ranked Team in the Nation and an A-10 Team!!
National TV
Bar Stool Sports In The House
6’11” Recruit in the House
Numerous other future recruiting prospects in the house
Dowtin and Langevine potential 1st Team A-10, 4 year players
Potential NBA Star and Draft Lottery Pick Obi Toppin
Obi’s Brother playing for us

We swung and missed

It reminded me of past Baron Opportunities missed

Dan Hurley led team wouldn’t have missed - I don’t think
This is exactly my thoughts. In the Hurley year, the team would have never been blown out in big games or laid a total egg like the Baron years. Now we are back to shrinking in big games and it hurts man. I thought we were past this for good after the VCU games tbh
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I think the team is more beat up than we think/know and I suspect not able to practice or perform at the level needed. This is the result of some bad roster luck and it's a sad way for some great careers to end.
Last edited by RIFan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago
Oh yea, one more thing. next year is going ti be unbearable to watch with Fatts having no one else to take the ball up. This may look like the Eric Leslie days.
I mean I know we're all in a pretty dark place right now, but Jeremy Sheppard has proven at the D1 level he's an above average ball handler and we have our best guard recruit coming in since Fatts/Terrell in Leggett. We will have more guard depth next year than this year (not saying a whole lot).
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Dayton breaks backs. We were on the brisk of being a top 25 team in all the land, and now we are nearly entirely dismantled. Basketball is a mental game. Cox needs to do better. The senior night piece and Harris are the lone highlights.
GO RAMS
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

We needed Sheppard this season the most. Things were aligned for this year to be an NCAA second weekend or beyond type season.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with last post, the most inexplicable part of this awful stretch of basketball is on the defensive end. Forget getting throttled by Dayton twice where we couldn't string together 2-3 stops in a row once, but we also made offensively challenged teams like St Louis and Fordham look like Gonzaga. Don't understand how a team could fall off a cliff in terms of defensive focus and connectivity at this point in the season, at one point we had a Top 25 KenPom defense.

To add further insult to injury think about the last 2 big send offs of senior classes with some all time Rhody greats in them...

2017/18 - EC, Jared, Jarvis, Stan, Andre and we lose by 30
2019/20 - Jeff and Cyril and we lose by 25

On top of that poor Hassan got the goose egg in his last game in a Rhody uniform (vs Oregon) due to injury.

Rhody basketball, it's never easy.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago forget the offense for a minute.

WTF happened to the defense over the last few games? Teams are shooting over 50% against us and mostly getting layups. That's what really frustrates me. I know we are going to struggle offensively because our offense has become either Fatts or Cyril dribble too much and play hero ball.

Did anyone else look at Josh King, when they announced him, and go whose the guy with the hair?
Yep
Was very nice to see him in attendance
Did you notice he seems to have some trouble walking? His hips maybe a problem. He could shoot from very long range. Wish we could have shown him a better effort.

6C8C6C3F-D3D9-4B84-9843-1167A4347640.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Maybe it's the lack of sleep, but I can't even really put into words how pissed off I am at last night and this season.

Fatts was a complete and total liability last night. 2-13 from the field, 0-4 from three, doesn't get a call on offense so never bothers to get back on d, and the ultimate back breaking play of the game: Jeff hits a 3 with 4:14 to go in the half and we're down 8. We're called for a foul and Fatts gets T'd up complaining about it. Dayton hits their two technical free throws, Obi hits his two free throws because of the foul and we're instantly down 12 and we ever got the deficit in single digits the rest of the way. Did he face any apparent discipline for his poor shot selection, ball chucking, and poor attitude? Nope. Keep running him out there and let him keep chucking.

Speaking of guys not sitting, if you're down 20 throughout the last quarter of the game, you have two guys extremely banged up, and your only chance of making the tournament is winning the conference championship do you keep the banged up guys in or do you sit them? If you chose the right answer then you disagreed with Cox' strategy last night. What the fuck were Jeff and Cyril doing in the game with under a minute left? Seriously does anyone have a clue what Cox was doing there, because I certainly don't.

I think it's clear at this point that for Cox to be successful he needs conference player of the year Fatts and if he doesn't have that we're mediocre at best. He can win if he has superior talent but we won't win if it's a battle of coaching wits. He's a fantastic assistant but there is no evidence that he's a good head coach. If we don't win the conference championship this year and don't make the tournament next year then everything Hurley built here would have been pissed away. If that happens Cox shouldn't be the head coach here any longer. I don't want to hear another hint of him being extended until we make a tournament
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 4 years ago I think the team is more beat up than we think/know and I suspect not able to practice or perform at the level needed. This is the result of some bad roster luck and it's a sad way for some great careers to end.
Every team is beat up at this time of year. And it's not luck, it's management
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

ECR this one's for you - LOL

BRING BACK THE CUMBY!!!!

We never had a collapse in a season with the CUMBY
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
scine20 wrote: 4 years ago This is bad but I don't think it reaches 2007-2008 level. To be honest that team was more talented than this team and they were, what, 20-3? 20-4? Something like that. And they went from one of those records to the 11 seed in the Atlantic 10 Tournament. Think about that for a second. They lost, what, 8 of their last 9 games or something like that?

As a college player, Will Daniels was better than anyone on URI right now. They never had a shooter like they had in Baron. Cothran, Ulmer, Bittee and Seawright were all solid players and better than almost everyone on the current team. If you were combining the two teams to make a 9-man rotation you'd have more players on the 2007-2008 team than today's team.

I realize that what's going on is fresh and I've seen some say this is worse than the collapses under Baron. It's not. At least when compared to the 2007-2008 team.
Its a fair argument, and this may be recency bias via my incredibly shattered soul at the moment, but I disagree based on the fact that Barons team was never squarely in the field on March 1. We were never this close that year.

Barons team blew it in early February - but they played a SOFT schedule that year. They got to a 14-1 record with their best win against an NIT bound Syracuse team, and a sub .500 PC team. They also lost to a sub .500 BC team.

The other wins? FAU, Brown, USF, Stetson, UAB, Toledo, Northeastern, Hofstra, Eastern Mich, Georgia Southern, and Farleigh Dickinson.

We played no one. We beat a “name” but not a good team. That year we were Duquesne. I’m sure everyone looked at us and said the same things we all said about Duquesne this year.

Either way - pretty great that the state of our program is where we get to play the “which collapse was worse game” - so much fun.
Not sure I agree with the Duquesne comparison. That URI team was very talented. It still boggles my mind how that all happened. And the next year I think was worse than this year as well because of all the returning talent they had. I actually think those teams, particularly 2007-2008, were even more talented than Hurley's best teams. At least I think there could be an argument made.

This team, at least to me, is not that good. I like Dowtin but aside from that the team is and has been overrated all year. Fatts Russell when he's on can be unstoppable but really there's too much hero ball with him and it hurts the team. There's no comparison between a guy like Langevine and Seawright. There's very little depth. Of course some of that had to do with Sheppard being ineligible and Tate's transfer but the team is what it is and I think maybe expectations were too high to begin with and maybe we all thought they were better than they are because they beat up on weak competition at the beginning of league play. And they haven't been well coached.

There's just very little to get excited about with the program at the moment. And once all of Hurley's recruits are gone and all the players are a result of the new staff? I shudder to think of where this program is heading.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

This collapse may be worse because of the timing of it. It also may be an understandable collapse in that we have dealt with the 8 man rotation we were dealt.

Cox went from great coach to nothing in just a few weeks.

I think you have to base our current situation on the roster management. Cox almost coached the team out of it, but only have the particular 8 guys we have, led by Fatts who is somehow capable of playing like an All-American and then playing like I dont even know.

I mean besides us relying on Fatts entirely, we have seen us execute plays offensively with a crispness that some here havent seen here in a while. We were pick and rolling like crazy and Fatts was lighting people up.

Our defense was up in peoples grill. Teams could never get going. Remember how we shut down Duquesne? They are a talented offensive team right there and we made them look like current us.

I mean, I think Cox has shown he can create good results. Last year we peaked at this time. Earlier in the year we peaked.

I think the goal HAS to be to not have to rely on Fatts. Then we neeeeeed a big. I would wager Harris and Walker will be better, but they wont be good enough and for heavens sake you need more than 2 freaking big men. We dont have JG JT EC Stan Dowtin and Fatts next year. Just hot cold Fatts. Cant have a year with just two guards and then follow it with just two bigs. I wouldn't even mind getting two more big guys!
We just need enough guys to pick up the slack if Fatts doesnt have it. Rese can do it. Love Dowtin, but he obviously struggles being an offensive weapon. Can Rese, Sheppard, Leggett, Wood, Toppin and everyone else be good enough to make shots and score some points? Good teams can afford multiple guys having off nights.

Ugh I'm just blabbering. This makes me sad.

I was so excited to pound my chest when we made the tournament. Give my profile picture the Rhody March Madness frame. Get to see all the hype leading up. And it's gone in two weeks.

Feel bad for the guys though. Must really suck for them
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago
I mean I know we're all in a pretty dark place right now, but Jeremy Sheppard has proven at the D1 level he's an above average ball handler and we have our best guard recruit coming in since Fatts/Terrell in Leggett. We will have more guard depth next year than this year (not saying a whole lot).
Sheppard hasn't played in a D1 basketball game since 2016-17. We always talk about rust when a guy sits one year because of transferring, what do you think it's going to look like for Sheppard? People should really temper expectations for him
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The last time URI scored 80 was on the road at GW about a month ago. These guys make poor decisions on offense.

This team has to prioritize certain shots and take them with confidence.

A lot of teams have been building toward the end of the year and URI seems to have lost its way.

The past two years this group seems to lose sight of how much effort it takes to actually win games and do the things they want to do. Like Rhody needs some or two someones to get 20 or near 20 points. To get that many points Jeff would have to shoot the ball more. He doesn't even attempt to get the amount of points that are needed from him. I doubt Fatts is making any excuses. He has to be on all the time. And then the rest of the guys need to fall in line.

URI left 18 points at the free throw line. Have to wonder how some of our players can take their game seriously when they have such severe stat lines like Langevine shooting 48% from the line (his worst of his career) or Jermaine Harris 3/36 on three pointers over his career. Talk about giving the ball away!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago Did anyone else look at Josh King, when they announced him, and go whose the guy with the hair?
I had the same thoughts. Did not recognize him at all. Far different look than his playing days. Most people lose hair as they age. He has done the reverse.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Sheppard hasn't played in a D1 basketball game since 2016-17. We always talk about rust when a guy sits one year because of transferring, what do you think it's going to look like for Sheppard? People should really temper expectations for him
I don't want to derail the thread, but I expect something similar to his freshmen campaign at ECU when he came right out of HS. I expect bigger things from Leggett.

Voted to The American All-Rookie Team ... Played in 30 games and made 13 starts ... Averaged 9.2 points, 2.1 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 26.6 minutes per game ... Led the Pirates in assists and steals (1.1) per game and ranked second in 3-point field goals made (50) ... Led all American Athletic Conference in assists per game and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.3)
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I don't want to derail the thread, but I expect something similar to his freshmen campaign at ECU when he came right out of HS. I expect bigger things from Leggett.

Voted to The American All-Rookie Team ... Played in 30 games and made 13 starts ... Averaged 9.2 points, 2.1 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 26.6 minutes per game ... Led the Pirates in assists and steals (1.1) per game and ranked second in 3-point field goals made (50) ... Led all American Athletic Conference in assists per game and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.3)
He really would have made a huge difference for us. Cox probably wanted him so he could avoid what is happening right now.

Tate too!

The A-10 might get one 1 to 2 seed in the tournament and about 7 teams in the NIT. Unreal.
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

RIFan wrote: 4 years ago I think the team is more beat up than we think/know and I suspect not able to practice or perform at the level needed. This is the result of some bad roster luck and it's a sad way for some great careers to end.
Not sure how much "luck" has to do with it.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago Maybe it's the lack of sleep, but I can't even really put into words how pissed off I am at last night and this season.

Fatts was a complete and total liability last night. 2-13 from the field, 0-4 from three, doesn't get a call on offense so never bothers to get back on d, and the ultimate back breaking play of the game: Jeff hits a 3 with 4:14 to go in the half and we're down 8. We're called for a foul and Fatts gets T'd up complaining about it. Dayton hits their two technical free throws, Obi hits his two free throws because of the foul and we're instantly down 12 and we ever got the deficit in single digits the rest of the way. Did he face any apparent discipline for his poor shot selection, ball chucking, and poor attitude? Nope. Keep running him out there and let him keep chucking.

Speaking of guys not sitting, if you're down 20 throughout the last quarter of the game, you have two guys extremely banged up, and your only chance of making the tournament is winning the conference championship do you keep the banged up guys in or do you sit them? If you chose the right answer then you disagreed with Cox' strategy last night. What the fuck were Jeff and Cyril doing in the game with under a minute left? Seriously does anyone have a clue what Cox was doing there, because I certainly don't.

I think it's clear at this point that for Cox to be successful he needs conference player of the year Fatts and if he doesn't have that we're mediocre at best. He can win if he has superior talent but we won't win if it's a battle of coaching wits. He's a fantastic assistant but there is no evidence that he's a good head coach. If we don't win the conference championship this year and don't make the tournament next year then everything Hurley built here would have been pissed away. If that happens Cox shouldn't be the head coach here any longer. I don't want to hear another hint of him being extended until we make a tournament
Speaking of Fatts-we all know how small a guy he is to begin with, but lately and especially last night he just looks like a midget in the paint and has no chance when he drives to the basket. Forget making the shot, he is just lucky to get if off without getting blocked or losing the handle on it.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I actually like Sheppard, but he hasn’t played basketball in awhile and even if he is good it is for only one year and it will take time to adjust. He is also isn’t very tall at 6’ 1”
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm a fan so I get to flip flop if I want.

Roster mismanagement sums up my feelings on this derailing.

I still think Cox is a good second year HC. I still fell like we can make a move in the A10 tournament. Cox is intelligent and will be learning lessons from this season, but I have my doubts about staying in the top 4 in the league in the seasons to come. Teams in this league are on the rise and we, well I'm not sure where we are as of today.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Here's what I posted before the Davidson game last month:

Here's what we need to do:
-- Don't bite on fakes.
-- Switch every screen -- fighting through makes it easy for them to run their misdirection cuts and get open.
-- Don't collapse on penetration -- their system helps ballhandlers find open men for layups.
-- Guard the corners.

Two weeks later, I'm still waiting to see any of this.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Section104
Art Stephenson

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

I actually like Sheppard, but he hasn’t played basketball in awhile and even if he is good it is for only one year and it will take time to adjust. He is also isn’t very tall at 6’ 1”
I'm not sure what being tall has to do with "bringing the ball up". I'm not saying he's a program changer, but the initial point that was made that I disagree with is that it will be unbearable to watch with just Fatts being able to bring the ball up. My argument is our guard play with Leggett + Sheppard + maybe one more addition is fine.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Agree with last post, the most inexplicable part of this awful stretch of basketball is on the defensive end. Forget getting throttled by Dayton twice where we couldn't string together 2-3 stops in a row once, but we also made offensively challenged teams like St Louis and Fordham look like Gonzaga. Don't understand how a team could fall off a cliff in terms of defensive focus and connectivity at this point in the season, at one point we had a Top 25 KenPom defense.

To add further insult to injury think about the last 2 big send offs of senior classes with some all time Rhody greats in them...

2017/18 - EC, Jared, Jarvis, Stan, Andre and we lose by 30
2019/20 - Jeff and Cyril and we lose by 25

On top of that poor Hassan got the goose egg in his last game in a Rhody uniform (vs Oregon) due to injury.

Rhody basketball, it's never easy.
We learned under Dan Hurley that you can win games by playing ugly and playing tough man to man defense. When we would go on runs under Dan, a lot of it was started by our defense. We would draw charges, shot clock violations, and turnovers. Does anyone know how to draw a charge on this team? Why don't we know how to get back on defense and find our man? Why can't we defend the pick and roll? Why can't we box out our man and stop teams from constantly scoring 2nd chance points?

When things are good this team has a swagger that I love. When things are bad it's REALLY bad. We are incredibly inconsistent. Sorry guys but that's coaching.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I'm not sure what being tall has to do with "bringing the ball up". I'm not saying he's a program changer, but the initial point that was made that I disagree with is that it will be unbearable to watch with just Fatts being able to bring the ball up. My argument is our guard play with Leggett + Sheppard + maybe one more addition is fine.
Height is important. Watch the tape last night of how easy it was to shoot over a Fatts and how hard it was for him to get in the lane. If he isn’t drawing fouls than he needs to hit his threes which he obviously isn’t. Not having height hurts on defense despite all the steals he gets. Leggett will be a very good player, but how much do you expect from a freshman?
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

This team went as Fatts went this year. Relied way too much on him. When he was averaging 20+ consistently in the first half of the season it gave the team a false positive. As soon as he started faltering the wheels came off, and Cox and the players did not adjust.

We're not nearly as good a team as we appeared playing a bunch of what turned out to be bad teams during that ten game conference run. The onion has been peeled, and it stinks.
Mobley was fouled.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

But Sheppard and Leggett are still inferior to Dowtin. And if Cox moved Dowtin off point to accommodate Fatts what do you think he's going to do with those two guys?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Next years offense:

Fatts and Martin combined to throw up 30 shots a game and the bigs Walker, Harris and Toppin combined to throw up their complimentary four three attempts a game. Harris had a nice game, but Walker stinks. I’m not sure why he doesn’t receive more heat. He leaves his feet and gets beat on defense and makes bad decisions including firing threes on offense.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......for me, tempering the expectations of the recruits coming in is needed..... all on me, but the transition of any of these guys to the style of play, etc sustained intensity in the A-10 are all works in progress, regardless of resumes coming in, player development is needed.....for me, player X Y Z all need teaching, coaching to have significant impacts.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

mjg13x wrote: 4 years ago It's been the same all year. We fall into an early hole, say, six points. Then, guaranteed, someone chucks a low-percentage three-point attempt early in the shot clock. The other team - Dayton, Brown, or anyone in between - effortlessly drives and scores on the next possession. What do we do then? Another low-percentage three. Now we're down 10 and collapsing.

This collapse sucks. We won't win a game in Brooklyn.
Instead of “someone” you can just say Harris. You can also point out that after he took that 3 at the top of the key and admired it, he didn’t bother to get back down the floor and gave up an easy layup.
Fair, although it is occasionally Walker or Martin. I just looked back at my contest entries - I take the set-it-and-forget-it approach for most of the season - and can't believe I had Harris as the top scorer. I want to get more of whatever I was smoking when I posted that.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Next years offense:

Fatts and Martin combined to throw up 30 shots a game and the bigs Walker, Harris and Toppin combined to throw up their complimentary four three attempts a game. Harris had a nice game, but Walker stinks. I’m not sure why he doesn’t receive more heat. He leaves his feet and gets beat on defense and makes bad decisions including firing threes on offense.
If you think the offense will be bad, the defense will be worse. There are a lot of pretty good bigs in the A10 that will be back next year. We currently have no one on next year's roster that can handle them.
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Hoops and football seasons were just pissed away.
Can't remember a year like it.
BB had 3 all conference candidates and FB numerous pro candidates.
And both teams laid an egg.
What does Rhody do now?
Cox needs to be put on notice.
Section104
Art Stephenson

The good news: we clinched a double bye.
The bad news: everything else.
OldSchoolRhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OldSchoolRhody »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 4 years ago
spar wrote: 4 years ago
I also hate hate hate the timeout after a made basket, but Cox is far from the only NCAA coach to use that move and so I try to cut him some slack with it. I understand the reasoning even if I disagree with it. Overall, I think he's a nice guy and I really want him to succeed, for both his own sake and this program's, but every time I start to think he might be finding his footing he takes two giant steps back.
With this team - that was known to score in streaks - I HATE the timeout after the score. If you pride yourself on defense, you had better be able to set up one fine after a MADE basket!

Hindsight is 20/20, but this sure felt like the wrong move at the time.

12:19 Jeff Dowtin made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Fatts Russell. 56 - 42
12:15 Rhode Island Timeout 56 - 42

Jeff makes a huge shot, building gets into it, Cox time-out - Dayton goes on a 16-4 run that ends the game here.

6:06 Obi Toppin made Dunk. Assisted by Ibi Watson. 72 - 46
5:57 Cyril Langevine missed Dunk. 72 - 46

What could have happened if Cox had let it go. Fans stay into it, big defensive effort, get a stop, Jeff streaks one more in, now its 56-45 and the under 12 TV timeout happens with ~11:45 to go.

Game is over for sure, but Cox still gives it another go.

5:27 Jeff Dowtin made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Fatts Russell. 73 - 51
5:23 Rhode Island Timeout 73 - 51

How did the team respond to that one coach? Four min later...

1:09 Jeff Dowtin Steal. 81 - 53
We're... We're going streaking! We're going up down the quad and to the gymnasium! Who is in? Let's Go Rhody!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

This collapse may be worse because of the timing of it. It also may be an understandable collapse in that we have dealt with the 8 man rotation we were dealt.

I think you have to base our current situation on the roster management. Cox almost coached the team out of it, but only have the particular 8 guys we have, led by Fatts who is somehow capable of playing like an All-American and then playing like I dont even know.

I mean besides us relying on Fatts entirely, we have seen us execute plays offensively with a crispness that some here havent seen here in a while. We were pick and rolling like crazy and Fatts was lighting people up.

Our defense was up in peoples grill. Teams could never get going. Remember how we shut down Duquesne? They are a talented offensive team right there and we made them look like current us.

I mean, I think Cox has shown he can create good results. Last year we peaked at this time. Earlier in the year we peaked.

I think the goal HAS to be to not have to rely on Fatts. Then we neeeeeed a big. I would wager Harris and Walker will be better, but they wont be good enough and for heavens sake you need more than 2 freaking big men. We dont have JG JT EC Stan Dowtin and Fatts next year. Just hot cold Fatts. Cant have a year with just two guards and then follow it with just two bigs. I wouldn't even mind getting two more big guys!
We just need enough guys to pick up the slack if Fatts doesnt have it. Rese can do it. Love Dowtin, but he obviously struggles being an offensive weapon. Can Rese, Sheppard, Leggett, Wood, Toppin and everyone else be good enough to make shots and score some points? Good teams can afford multiple guys having off nights.

I was so excited to pound my chest when we made the tournament. Give my profile picture the Rhody March Madness frame. Get to see all the hype leading up. And it's gone in two weeks.

Ignoring all of the roster issues, my biggest issues with the coaching are taking the ball out of Dowtin's hands and the treatment of Fatts. Letting Fatts play hero ball is great if he's playing like Obi Toppin...but I've watched Obi Toppin and Dayton play, and they don't even let their consensus lottery pick play hero ball. EVERY DAYTON PLAYER TOUCHES THE BALL IN THE HALF COURT.

Seriously, when's the last time you even saw a single possession that had all 5 rams touch the ball?

This team was on a winning streak when Fatts was scoring. This team gets on a losing streak when Fatts isn't scoring. It's exactly like last year. Hero ball doesn't work. ESPECIALLY when the "hero" is a wildly inconsistent shooter. That's not good coaching. It's literally the same crap we bag on Ed Cooley about.

Speaking of Cooley - compare Fatts to Pipkins. Same exact thing - except Pipkins decided to shoot his team out of games in the beginning of the year, and shoot them into them at the end. Fatts went the opposite way which is way worse.

When it comes to the treatment of our "star" - Fatts' technical and subsequent lack of punishment told me everything I needed to know. Under Hurley, it wouldn't have mattered who was available on the bench. We'd have gone with 4 forwards or Eric Dadika would've come into the game to make a point that that behavior was unacceptable. Fatts gets the superstar treatment - which causes me issues because once you tell him he's a superstar he stops producing like one. His season turned the second he made that watch list. Dude is a Philly grinder which is awesome. He loves being the underdog. The second he's out front he loses his edge.

On top of that, I feel bad for Jeff. After his sophomore year I think a lot of people saw him as having a legitimate chance at making a run at the NBA. Then we took the ball out of his hands the last 2 years instead of letting him run the show. That's the biggest problem with this whole experiment.

There's no floor general. No leadership. That's why we take so many bad shots early in the clock. It doesn't excuse the lack of effort to get back on defense, but holy hell is it pathetic basketball to watch.

The lack of BBIQ from anyone but JD is really astounding. I think it's fair to put that on the coach - and I don't mean he's supposed to get everyone up to a Jeff Dowtin IQ level. I mean he's supposed to identify his smartest player and keep the ball in his hands. The games where that doesn't happen are the games we get embarrassed in.

There's just no excuse for us not to be a tournament team this year. Once again, we didn't have to beat Dayton. We didn't have to beat Maryland, LSU, or WVU either. That much was clear. Technically, we didn't even need to beat Brown or Richmond. We were CLEARLY in the NCAA field as of a week ago with all of those losses. We were a consensus 9 seed. All we had to do was beat a shitty Davidson team and St Louis at home. We couldn't do that. We don't deserve shit.

Hopefully Coach takes a lot of lessons from this season and makes the appropriate changes. I'd really prefer to not post on this message board in the "NIT or Bust" section.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
OldSchoolRhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OldSchoolRhody »

On top of that, I feel bad for Jeff. After his sophomore year I think a lot of people saw him as having a legitimate chance at making a run at the NBA. Then we took the ball out of his hands the last 2 years instead of letting him run the show. That's the biggest problem with this whole experiment.

There's no floor general. No leadership. That's why we take so many bad shots early in the clock. It doesn't excuse the lack of effort to get back on defense, but holy hell is it pathetic basketball to watch.

The lack of BBIQ from anyone but JD is really astounding. I think it's fair to put that on the coach - and I don't mean he's supposed to get everyone up to a Jeff Dowtin IQ level. I mean he's supposed to identify his smartest player and keep the ball in his hands. The games where that doesn't happen are the games we get embarrassed in.

100% right on. Such a waste of a great talent. We know Fatts and Harris were considering transferring. How much of that discussion between them and Cox has left us in this spot with the inmates running the asylum.
We're... We're going streaking! We're going up down the quad and to the gymnasium! Who is in? Let's Go Rhody!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago Maybe it's the lack of sleep, but I can't even really put into words how pissed off I am at last night and this season.

RR2,

That was a huge moment. Dowtin had just hit the 3P. Energy was pouring out from the crowd and from the URI bench. Down to 8 points vs the #3 Team in the country!!

Jacob committed the foul. Jacob did not have a problem with the foul, nobody did, except Fatts. Rightfully so the Ref Teed up Russell. It was right in front of Cox, 15 feet away. I actually think Russell was still mad about previous calls or non calls or who knows what. Russell complains about officiating all the time. It’s tiring. But Cox allows it. Never tells Russell to get his head back in the game. Russell goes unmanaged complaining about Refs like the boy who cried wolf.

That was a crucial Technical. Totally unnecessary and unwarranted by Russell. Was Not even his play or foul. He was not involved!!

Fans around me said the same thing. It took the momentum we had from Jeff’s big 3-point shot away. It silenced the crowd and the URI Bench. But Cox left Russell in. No repercussions whatsoever.

Later in the game Russell waved off a call by the Ref, it was one of those waves that would only piss of a Ref and that was Russels intent. If the Ref had seen Russell do it he would have teed him up and thrown him out. I’m not 100% sure any of the 3 Refs didn't see Russell wave his hand, but if they did they gave him a break. I would have tossed him.

I’m so tired if Russell complaining about calls or more so non-calls.

He not only shot 2-13 but most all of his misses were way off, not even close. Dowtin goes 5-7 on 3-pointers but do we try to get him more shots from 3? No.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

To defend Fatts a little, he gets hit on almost every drive and no calls. Thought the T was completely unnecessary.

On another note, and please do not think I am blaming the refs for the loss, there is absolutely no way we win that game last night, the refs made the game unenjoyable. Let the kids play some without calling a foul every possession.

Further note, Obi is an awesome dunker. Spectacular stuff there.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Disagree. I don’t think he gets hit.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

RR2,

That was a huge moment. Dowtin had just hit the 3P. Energy was pouring out from the crowd and from the URI bench. Down to 8 points vs the #3 Team in the country!!

Jacob committed the foul. Jacob did not have a problem with the foul, nobody did, except Fatts. Rightfully so the Ref Teed up Russell. It was right in front of Cox, 15 feet away. I actually think Russell was still mad about previous calls or non calls or who knows what. Russell complains about officiating all the time. It’s tiring. But Cox allows it. Never tells Russell to get his head back in the game. Russell goes unmanaged complaining about Refs like the boy who cried wolf.

That was a crucial Technical. Totally unnecessary and unwarranted by Russell. Was Not even his play or foul. He was not involved!!

Fans around me said the same thing. It took the momentum we had from Jeff’s big 3-point shot away. It silenced the crowd and the URI Bench. But Cox left Russell in. No repercussions whatsoever.

Later in the game Russell waved off a call by the Ref, it was one of those waves that would only piss of a Ref and that was Russels intent. If the Ref had seen Russell do it he would have teed him up and thrown him out. I’m not 100% sure any of the 3 Refs didn't see Russell wave his hand, but if they did they gave him a break. I would have tossed him.

He not only shot 2-13 but most all of his misses were way off, not even close. Dowtin goes 5-7 on 3-pointers but do we try to get him more shots from 3? No.
We sit in 211 and I saw fatts tech coming.. I think Obie was fouled and as he was walking to the line he gave fatts a forearm to get him out of the way.. fatts started jawing at ref and I started screaming fatts shut up.. I knew he was going to get a tech.. selfish on his part.. I think Cox has lost control.. players were visibly pointing at each other and chirping.. Cox needs to regain control or he is toast
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

RR2,

From my vantage point Fatts got the T for saying something to one of the Dayton guys- not the ref
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago

RR2,

We sit in 211 and I saw fatts tech coming.. I think Obie was fouled and as he was walking to the line he gave fatts a forearm to get him out of the way.. fatts started jawing at ref and I started screaming fatts shut up.. I knew he was going to get a tech.. selfish on his part.. I think Cox has lost control.. players were visibly pointing at each other and chirping.. Cox needs to regain control or he is toast
Early in the game Dayton got a score inside. Russell said some words to Jacob. If I’m Jacob I don’t need Russell chirping at me about my defensive play. Dowtin or Langevine sure, but not Russell. Anyway, Jacob a minute or two later gestured back to Russell with semi hand shake like all was good. It was big of the Freshman, Jacob, to make the move. Russell nodded in acceptance.

As I said, I’m so sick and tired of Russell complaining on the court about Referees.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From Dayton Message Board on Russell....

Join Date: Feb 2004. Posts: 7,451 Thanks: 3,041 Thanked 4,239 Times in 2,231 Posts

Fatts offensive philosophy:
Put head down
Charge at the basket
Throw up a crap shot and pray for a foul call
Or take a crappy 3.

Join Date: Nov 2001 Posts: 3,002 Thanks: 1,934 Thanked 2,097 Times in 983 Posts

You left out: fall down

Join Date: Mar 2007 Posts: 3,893 Thanks: 938 Thanked 1,937 Times in 879 Posts

When all of the above fail, talk trash and get T’d up.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........the increased tech calls we have seen I think, is the result of the Kansas incident where now the officials are not taking a verbal, trash, otherwise from or between players......curbing potential escalation.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I blame the Coaching Staff for the Technical Foul by Russell much more than I blame Russell

The Coaching Staff knows what Refs will allow.

Dan Hurley knows what is allowed. Hurley would even joke with Refs during the game. He worked the Refs.

Russell’s Tech was devastating to the Team, his Coaches and to the Fans. It was not a bad foul call, the foul didn’t even involve him. He just chirps and chirps and never stops.

A nice comeback run stopped in it’s tracks.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

Totally agree. I posted in another thread JD’s A/TO ratio from his first 3 years. How can you have a top 5 nationally A/TO PG with 2 years experience and 4 NCAA Tournament games under his belt and take the ball out of his hands? Even someone who knows nothing of basketball would look at those numbers and realize he is your floor general. Not sure if it had anything to do with keeping Fatts or keeping him happy but that is Cox’s biggest mistake: reinventing the wheel.

Ignoring all of the roster issues, my biggest issues with the coaching are taking the ball out of Dowtin's hands and the treatment of Fatts. Letting Fatts play hero ball is great if he's playing like Obi Toppin...but I've watched Obi Toppin and Dayton play, and they don't even let their consensus lottery pick play hero ball. EVERY DAYTON PLAYER TOUCHES THE BALL IN THE HALF COURT.

Seriously, when's the last time you even saw a single possession that had all 5 rams touch the ball?

This team was on a winning streak when Fatts was scoring. This team gets on a losing streak when Fatts isn't scoring. It's exactly like last year. Hero ball doesn't work. ESPECIALLY when the "hero" is a wildly inconsistent shooter. That's not good coaching. It's literally the same crap we bag on Ed Cooley about.

Speaking of Cooley - compare Fatts to Pipkins. Same exact thing - except Pipkins decided to shoot his team out of games in the beginning of the year, and shoot them into them at the end. Fatts went the opposite way which is way worse.

When it comes to the treatment of our "star" - Fatts' technical and subsequent lack of punishment told me everything I needed to know. Under Hurley, it wouldn't have mattered who was available on the bench. We'd have gone with 4 forwards or Eric Dadika would've come into the game to make a point that that behavior was unacceptable. Fatts gets the superstar treatment - which causes me issues because once you tell him he's a superstar he stops producing like one. His season turned the second he made that watch list. Dude is a Philly grinder which is awesome. He loves being the underdog. The second he's out front he loses his edge.

There's just no excuse for us not to be a tournament team this year. Once again, we didn't have to beat Dayton. We didn't have to beat Maryland, LSU, or WVU either. That much was clear. Technically, we didn't even need to beat Brown or Richmond. We were CLEARLY in the NCAA field as of a week ago with all of those losses. We were a consensus 9 seed. All we had to do was beat a shitty Davidson team and St Louis at home. We couldn't do that. We don't deserve shit.

Hopefully Coach takes a lot of lessons from this season and makes the appropriate changes. I'd really prefer to not post on this message board in the "NIT or Bust" section.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago To defend Fatts a little, he gets hit on almost every drive and no calls. Thought the T was completely unnecessary.

On another note, and please do not think I am blaming the refs for the loss, there is absolutely no way we win that game last night, the refs made the game unenjoyable. Let the kids play some without calling a foul every possession.

Further note, Obi is an awesome dunker. Spectacular stuff there.
I'm glad you brought up the Obi dunking cause that made me almost lose it. At least twice guys couldn't wait to get out of the way fast enough. GO UP AND CHALLENGE HIM!! Don't let him windmill dunk in our building without him ending the play on his ass, instead our guys wanted to watch the show without buying a ticket