That's Enough, Fordham...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Re: That's Enough, Fordham...

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

Murray State has fcs football, that might complicate things. Murray is my #1 choice. Dropping Fordham and adding Murray would be a huge improvement. What league does Rhody play football in?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

There’s no need to replace teams.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago There’s no need to replace teams.
Yes there is, there is a huge need for it. We could become a consistent 3 or 4, maybe 5, bid league if we added Murray or Belmont or Vermont and dropped Fordham and LaSalle.

Things have degraded some since Xavier and Temple left.
Last edited by daytonflyerfan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I’d prefer to drop 2 teams and just stay at 12. Better would be drop 3 or 4 teams and play a round robin. I’m not sure Belmont or Vermont would really add a lot in the long run.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago Murray State has fcs football, that might complicate things. Murray is my #1 choice. Dropping Fordham and adding Murray would be a huge improvement. What league does Rhody play football in?
CAA
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I’d prefer to drop 2 teams and just stay at 12. Better would be drop 3 or 4 teams and play a round robin. I’m not sure Belmont or Vermont would really add a lot in the long run.
That would be fine too. Duquesne and then GW I guess next to go.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago I'm glad we were not having this conversation 5 years ago during the dark years of JD and JB enabled by RC.
We did have these conversations. They're definitely buried in the history of this board. They went the same:

URI has at least contributed SOMETHING - and in the Baron dark years our units stopped paying the A10 in 2006.

In lieu of those units paying..during the years where we were on the take 07-12, we were a bad loss ONCE. We were a top 75 team, top 50 team twice (should've been a tournament team), and a top 100 team the other 2 years. We never dragged the league down consistently and cost other teams an opportunity to dance.

Finally, and most importantly. WE INVEST IN OUR PROGRAM. WE INVEST IN OUR INFRASTRUCTURE. WE INVEST IN OUR FACILITIES. WE DRAW NATIONAL GAMES AND TV COVERAGE FOR THE A10. Unfortunately we invested too much in the wrong coach - but regardless we built the 4th biggest arena, had multiple national TV games (at a time before streaming and TV contracts were readily available for the A10).

Duquesne gets a pass from me for at least investing in the program, no matter how long overdue it is. La Salle is super cash-strapped and at least they made a tourney run in the not-so-distant past. So if we have to suck it up with them, fine, their situation I understand. Granted I would still put an ultimatum to find a new gym or GTFO.

Fordham is one of the richest schools in the A10. Their is ZERO excuse for their program to be as big of a shit show as it is. They have been a bad loss and a bad win...one that hurts the prospects of the league...TWENTY TWO TIMES IN TWENTY FIVE YEARS OF MEMBERSHIP. Not even bad...they hurt the league, and worse, THEY DO NOTHING TO FIX THEIR SITUATION.

They play in an embarrassment of a gym...and I don't want to hear the history line that Digger Phelps likes to bring up. Keaney is historical, it hosts volleyball games. Rodman Hall is historical, it hosts classes.

Fordham doesn't want to compete in basketball. That's fine. They don't have to. But they shouldn't be in league who's teams want to compete. More importantly in a league where metrics matter and playing a bad team hurts you.

Either way, something needs to be done. In the interim - look at the C-USA schedule and implement that. Keep Fordham playing trash piles so they don't hurt Dayton, URI, VCU, Richmond, or St Louis while they compete for a bid.

But for the love of God please stop entertaining the thought that URI is ANYWHERE CLOSE to Fordham.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago Murray State has fcs football, that might complicate things. Murray is my #1 choice. Dropping Fordham and adding Murray would be a huge improvement. What league does Rhody play football in?
CAA
Where does the CAA rank compared to the OVC, where Murray is, in terms of fcs football? Would the OVC allow Murray to leave every team, other than men's basketball, in the OVC?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
CAA
Where does the CAA rank compared to the OVC, where Murray is, in terms of fcs football?
The CAA is usually the top fcs conference.
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The CAA is a FCS power. Multiple playoff teams, national champions, etc. NDSU has been an absolute wagon in the last decade, winning 8 of the last 12 titles, but the CAA has won 3 of the other 4 and had the runner up 4 other times.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

You know what Fordham is good at?

Football.

IN THE PATRIOT LEAGUE
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I’m not sure Belmont or Vermont would really add a lot in the long run.
Debatable...Belmont top 105 rpi last 9 years straight, 8 ncaat bids since 2006.

Vermont 7 ncaat bids since 2003.

They have outperformed much of the a10.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I like Murray State, not Belmont or Vermont so much. We already have Davidson, Belmont is like a clone. Siena much stronger option IMO.
Recruiting base, natural rival for Bonnies, capital of NY, good basketball history and can draw 8-9K when they are good. Much more upside than those other 2.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I’m not sure Belmont or Vermont would really add a lot in the long run.

Most of those appearances are from auto-bids though aren't they? That wouldn't happen if they had played in the A10 over that stretch, not even close.
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Exactly, what they did in previous conferences is not as important as to what they would do in an upleveled league. Do they have the infrastructure (facilities, recruiting base) to scale upwards if they are in a better league. That should be the barometer.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I like Murray State, not Belmont or Vermont so much. We already have Davidson, Belmont is like a clone. Siena much stronger option IMO.
Recruiting base, natural rival for Bonnies, capital of NY, good basketball history and can draw 8-9K when they are good. Much more upside than those other 2.
What's wrong with Davidson? They have done very well in the a10. George Mason has been the disappointment.

Davidson Wildcats (Atlantic 10 Conference) (2014–present)
2014–15 Davidson 24–8 14–4 1st NCAA Division I Round of 64
2015–16 Davidson 20–13 10–8 6th NIT First Round
2016–17 Davidson 17–15 8–10 9th
2017–18 Davidson 21–12 13–5 3rd NCAA Division I Round of 64
2018–19 Davidson 24–10 14–4 2nd NIT First Round
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago

Most of those appearances are from auto-bids though aren't they? That wouldn't happen if they had played in the A10 over that stretch, not even close.
See the Davidson example. Davidson dominated the SoCon, now they are doing fine in the A10. Not a coincidence. They seem to do what they need to do to compete. Worried about life after McKillop though.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I like Murray State, not Belmont or Vermont so much. We already have Davidson, Belmont is like a clone. Siena much stronger option IMO.
What's wrong with Davidson? They have done very well in the a10. George Mason has been the disappointment.

Not hating on Davidson at all, just don't think we need another southern school with basically the same profile.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago

Not hating on Davidson at all, just don't think we need another southern school with basically the same profile.
Oh, who cares about the profile. Wins and losses is what we care about, right? Lol
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Be careful what you all wish for. The trend of the A-10 has for decades been in a direction not in the best interests of URI. URI joined an eight team league in 1980 that was comprised of mostly large public schools (URI + WVU, Rutgers, UMass, Pitt). It however soon thereafter morphed into a league of mostly Catholic schools. Later additions of even more small Catholic schools pushed the league west (Xavier, Dayton, and SLU) further away from URI. More recent changes to the conference have seen a very distinct southward push. The center of power now seems to be situated in the corridor between Philadelphia-DC-Richmond-NC as half the league members are located there. The league office of what was once a northeastern based conference even moved to Newport News, VA.

Fordham has been the only member added to the A-10 in 40 years that made geographic sense for URI. Every other add has only further made URI's location more an outlier. A league that once was majority public schools is far from that today. Half the league (7) are Catholic schools (SLU, UD, DU, SBU, LaSalle, SJU, & Fordham). Three members are private schools (GW, UR, and DC). Only three other members are publics like URI (UMass, VCU, GMU).

If there were to be new members added to the league, it is a good bet that it will not be schools with a similar makeup and close proximity to URI. This will only further isolate Rhody. Also keep in mind that men's basketball is just one of 21 sports that the league sponsors. While it is the most significant sport for the league, some thought must also be given to the other sports.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

I dont think we talk enough about how much of a disappointment George Mason has been.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Oh, who cares about the profile. Wins and losses is what we care about, right? Lol
Wins and Losses in the past are less impt than what is their ceiling. A program like Siena has a much higher ceiling than Belmont. Bigger arena, better recruiting base, better fan support. Give them a better league to recruit against and they have much more upside.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Be careful what you all wish for. The trend of the A-10 has for decades been in a direction not in the best interests of URI. URI joined an eight team league in 1980 that was comprised of mostly large public schools (URI + WVU, Rutgers, UMass, Pitt). It however soon thereafter morphed into a league of mostly Catholic schools. Later additions of even more small Catholic schools pushed the league west (Xavier, Dayton, and SLU) further away from URI. More recent changes to the conference have seen a very distinct southward push. The center of power now seems to be situated in the corridor between Philadelphia-DC-Richmond-NC as half the league members are located there. The league office of what was once a northeastern based conference even moved to Newport News, VA.

Fordham has been the only member added to the A-10 in 40 years that made geographic sense for URI. Every other add has only further made URI's location more an outlier. A league that once was majority public schools is far from that today. Half the league (7) are Catholic schools (SLU, UD, DU, SBU, LaSalle, SJU, & Fordham). Three members are private schools (GW, UR, and DC). Only three other members are publics like URI (UMass, VCU, GMU).

If there were to be new members added to the league, it is a good bet that it will not be schools with a similar makeup and close proximity to URI. This will only further isolate Rhody. Also keep in mind that men's basketball is just one of 21 sports that the league sponsors. While it is the most significant sport for the league, some thought must also be given to the other sports.
The true dream would be for Rhody to be a top 3 team in the A10 and go to the tournament and advance for the next 5 years, become a national-impact major, and somehow get the Big East to come calling.

With UConn back, the "small catholic school" profile is gone, so there's a precedent. It makes geographical sense. If we become a perennial power, NCAA performer, and brand name (a la Dayton or VCU), we might be more attractive.

Now will this ever happen? 99% no. Can't imagine PC would want us in. Can't imagine UConn would want to play us either...but hey a guy can dream.

My eternal concern is that if the A10 doesn't address the Fordham (or La Salle) problem, is that the other teams consistently competing for an NCAA bid (Dayton or VCU), will search for greener pastures.

Dayton to the Big East is the most logical jump, and if that happens the A-10 will screwed. So really, the A-10 needs to start thinking of what they're going to do about the league dregs that drag the NCAA hopefuls down, to make sure the NCAA hopefuls stay.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

What if UMass eventually leaves?

Then we would be even more isolated, outside of St. Bona.

Adding Siena would make a ton of sense especially if that happens.

Vermont wouldn't work imo. Their gym is tiny I think.

Anybody who reads the Dayton board, knows that they want to join the BE.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Xavier will block Dayton like Providence will block Rhode Island
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Could depend if they need a unanimous vote, yes.

Otherwise, they could get in....but I don't think the BE plans to expand again anytime soon.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago What if UMass eventually leaves?

Then we would be even more isolated, outside of St. Bona.

Adding Siena would make a ton of sense especially if that happens.

Vermont wouldn't work imo. Their gym is tiny I think.

Anybody who reads the Dayton board, knows that they want to join the BE.
I guess it is a double-edged sword. Dayton (like Gonzaga) has proven they can be a top 4 seed from this conference, and routinely finds a way to dominate it and dance.

They obviously don't have a problem recruiting talent there. They don't have a problem scheduling big OOC games or getting into major OOC tournaments. They probably get to dictate a great amount of league policy here, whereas they'd be low man on the totem pole in the NBE.

But the Big East is a 4-7 bid league as presently constituted. It has a major TV contract that runs through 2025.

That means that 40%-70% of their league can expect a bid. That's insane. Those are good odds. The whole damn league is on the bubble. Their worst team this year is #73 in the NET. 6 top 50. 5 top 25. Even their worst team is a Q1 opportunity on the road.

The A-10 is a 2-3 bid league now. Drop the bottom feeders and maybe you get it to a 3-5 bid league. Maybe.

Because the A-10 carries so much dead weight at the bottom, 14%-21% of the league can hope for a bid.

We have 3-4 Q1 teams, even on the road. We have 5 top 75 teams...until they play one of our plentiful Q3/Q4 teams and drop down to the next quadrant. But hey - we've got 6 Q3/Q4 teams. Along with perennial Q4 favorite Fordham.

The more I keep looking at this stuff the more I think the league needs to jettison the bad weight that doesn't invest, or Rhody needs to get serious, invest in this program and coach, and find a way out.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Ever being invited into the BE is a pipe dream. I think we should be lobbying/working to fortify the A10 as the 2nd best basketball only league (behind the BE) by either eliminating Fordham and Lasalle and going down to 12 teams, or replacing them with programs that have better facilities and bigger aspirations.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

If we at least get it down to 12 teams there will be more money to go around to those 12 programs from NCAA units.

Is there anyway someone can ask someone high up in the A-10 hierarchy?

Can we all petition to get Fordham TFO???
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Ever being invited into the BE is a pipe dream. I think we should be lobbying/working to fortify the A10 as the 2nd best basketball only league (behind the BE) by either eliminating Fordham and Lasalle and going down to 12 teams, or replacing them with programs that have better facilities and bigger aspirations.
I think BAR has the correct perspective. I disagree very much with RF1's view on geography because it is contrary to the major forces shaping both the P5 conferences and the top mid majors conference over the last 20 years that have pushed for geographic expansion. In fact the limited geography only applies to the lower level conferences. It was URI that led the charge in breaking up the old Yankee Conference because of its limited geographic reach. We want affiliation that gives URI national exposure rather a than limited geographic one and that is why Saint Louis and Dayton are good for the A-10.

Thus, any future A-10 re-alignment should look to adding members close and agreeable to those two schools. Using BAR's criteria of good facilities and aspirations, then we should look, as one example, to the Missouri Valley for new members and on that score Missouri State, Bradley and Southern Illinois come to mind. For those of you who may have seen the first class JQH Arena in Springfield, MO, will understand how much better it is than anything La Salle or Fordham could ever provide. But in reality, I am arguing for a broader and bigger thinking about conference affiliation rather than who is dropped and who is added.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Do we (A10, URI) want to give up our presence in the NYC area? This area is a basketball mecca. I think a decision on dropping a school from the A10 should be based on the competitiveness in all A10 sports.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago Do we (A10, URI) want to give up our presence in the NYC area? This area is a basketball mecca. I think a decision on dropping a school from the A10 should be based on the competitiveness in all A10 sports.
I’d rather have Manhattan, Iona or Hofstra than Fordham though the latter two are on Long Island. But that’s not going to happen. Fordham won’t leave unless it wants to leave.
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago Do we (A10, URI) want to give up our presence in the NYC area? This area is a basketball mecca. I think a decision on dropping a school from the A10 should be based on the competitiveness in all A10 sports.
Nobody in NYC cares about Fordham, the last time they appeared on the pages of the NY Post was about betting against them. NYC is a pro town, St John's is barely covered. This is an antiquated idea. In this day and age of streaming and digital platforms the "TV markets" of the past are of little value, its about programs that win and have a fan base. Look at the Big East with teams in Omaha and Indianapolis.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago
I’d rather have Manhattan, Iona or Hofstra than Fordham though the latter two are on Long Island. But that’s not going to happen. Fordham won’t leave unless it wants to leave.
Iona is in New Rochelle (West Chester), not Long Island. And if we wanted a team in Long Island then Stony Brook is a much stronger option. They are committed to being good in sports and have a great AD.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Geography does matter. How would you feel if the A-10 men's Basketball tournament only rotated between DC and Pittsburgh in coming years as these sites were more convenient for other members? How would you feel if Fordham was gone and UMass found an all sports conference leaving URI several hundreds of miles away from the next closest member school? How would you feel about having few road games that you might reasonably consider traveling to? How would you feel about the great rise in travel costs for ALL sports at URI and the added class time all our student athletes would miss ( only men's basketball would fly charter). URI is very much already now a bit of an after thought for much of the A-10 membership, league office administration, media, and fans. We constantly complain here about how URI is often forgotten and slighted when it comes to many matters. That would only get worse if the league adds members even further away.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Of the 3 mentioned above in order I would go Murray St then Belmont then Vermont

Fordham needs to get the heck out been a God awful 25 years
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Belmont is in Nashville right? Good for the league footprint and not a bad road trip. Beats Albany for sure
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Murray State would be the best choice from a purely basketball perspective
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

And I doubt our commish loses sleep worrying about URI’s feelings.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago I'm glad we were not having this conversation 5 years ago during the dark years of JD and JB enabled by RC.
We did have these conversations. They're definitely buried in the history of this board. They went the same:

URI has at least contributed SOMETHING - and in the Baron dark years our units stopped paying the A10 in 2006.

In lieu of those units paying..during the years where we were on the take 07-12, we were a bad loss ONCE. We were a top 75 team, top 50 team twice (should've been a tournament team), and a top 100 team the other 2 years. We never dragged the league down consistently and cost other teams an opportunity to dance.

Finally, and most importantly. WE INVEST IN OUR PROGRAM. WE INVEST IN OUR INFRASTRUCTURE. WE INVEST IN OUR FACILITIES. WE DRAW NATIONAL GAMES AND TV COVERAGE FOR THE A10. Unfortunately we invested too much in the wrong coach - but regardless we built the 4th biggest arena, had multiple national TV games (at a time before streaming and TV contracts were readily available for the A10).

Duquesne gets a pass from me for at least investing in the program, no matter how long overdue it is. La Salle is super cash-strapped and at least they made a tourney run in the not-so-distant past. So if we have to suck it up with them, fine, their situation I understand. Granted I would still put an ultimatum to find a new gym or GTFO.

Fordham is one of the richest schools in the A10. Their is ZERO excuse for their program to be as big of a shit show as it is. They have been a bad loss and a bad win...one that hurts the prospects of the league...TWENTY TWO TIMES IN TWENTY FIVE YEARS OF MEMBERSHIP. Not even bad...they hurt the league, and worse, THEY DO NOTHING TO FIX THEIR SITUATION.

They play in an embarrassment of a gym...and I don't want to hear the history line that Digger Phelps likes to bring up. Keaney is historical, it hosts volleyball games. Rodman Hall is historical, it hosts classes.

Fordham doesn't want to compete in basketball. That's fine. They don't have to. But they shouldn't be in league who's teams want to compete. More importantly in a league where metrics matter and playing a bad team hurts you.

Either way, something needs to be done. In the interim - look at the C-USA schedule and implement that. Keep Fordham playing trash piles so they don't hurt Dayton, URI, VCU, Richmond, or St Louis while they compete for a bid.

But for the love of God please stop entertaining the thought that URI is ANYWHERE CLOSE to Fordham.
These conversations come up every year.....

Teams mentioned are almost always the same. Teams to kick out are almost always the same

To jettison from the A-10:
Fordham
LaSalle
Duquesne

To potentially leave the A-10:
UMASS
Dayton
St Louis

To bring in potentially:
Sienna
Vermont
Stony Brook
Hofstra
Belmont
Murray State

Best to send your thoughts to the A-10 Commissioner. These things have been said around here every year and nothing has ever happened.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I like the Fordham gym. Went on the bus trip a couple years ago (we lost), but it was still a blast. Save the Metro Rams.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You have become the resident contrarian of late. Literally no one wants Fordham to stay in the league. You can still have a fun bus trip to NYC without it including a stop in that high school gym. Or if you love the gym so much go watch the NY High School playoffs which culminate with games there, fittingly high school teams playing in a high school gym.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

My solution......disband the A10....reform as the A12......only invite teams who make an attendance and spending commitment to basketball....Let UMass go to chase football....Let Lasalle and Fordham and George Mason go to more appropriate conferences....keep Duquesne and St. Joes.....add quality non FBS schools....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago I like the Fordham gym. Went on the bus trip a couple years ago (we lost), but it was still a blast. Save the Metro Rams.
How was the Wi-Fi?
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I'd take a school from Paducah, Kentucky over Fordham. I live in Westchester about 20 minutes from the school, go to the games there any time we play there.
Fordham stinks, they bring the league down, their gym stinks. I always liked the bar downstairs but that was because I was used to not being able to drink at the RC.
NYC area does not care about local college sports. Period. Give me a school that is the only thing around for 100 miles.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Geography does matter. How would you feel if the A-10 men's Basketball tournament only rotated between DC and Pittsburgh in coming years as these sites were more convenient for other members? How would you feel if Fordham was gone and UMass found an all sports conference leaving URI several hundreds of miles away from the next closest member school? How would you feel about having few road games that you might reasonably consider traveling to? How would you feel about the great rise in travel costs for ALL sports at URI and the added class time all our student athletes would miss ( only men's basketball would fly charter). URI is very much already now a bit of an after thought for much of the A-10 membership, league office administration, media, and fans. We constantly complain here about how URI is often forgotten and slighted when it comes to many matters. That would only get worse if the league adds members even further away.
Sorry, I do not agree and I also I believe this is not expansive thinking. It also smacks of "woe is me", whiney kind of thinking. We should always have stretch aspirations. We will never be in a P5 conference, but our goal for our marquee sport, basketball, should be in a high mid-major conference with as national reputation. Act like P5 but at our level. Do you think somebody in California is worrying tonight because they can't easily drive to their basketball game with Colorado. I don't want to act like the NEC conference. Thankfully I have some knowledge about how our Athletics admin team is thinking and they not are in you mode. And I certainly don't share your defeatist opinion that we are an afterthought in the A-10.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Fordham's other sports for the most part are very competitive, even very good in some areas.

But in men's BB, it isn't and that's because as long as Rose Hill is their home arena, they will suck.

Who wants to go there and play in front of friends and family and not much else?

And if they do get someone who turns out to be pretty good, they bail for obvious reasons.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago I like the Fordham gym. Went on the bus trip a couple years ago (we lost), but it was still a blast. Save the Metro Rams.
How was the Wi-Fi?
With unlimited data, I'm just looking for function and i don't recall any issues. I don't believe they had beers, but a very friendly group on the bus brought what seemed like multiple cases of different flavored whiskey nips. Nice folks, very generous, too.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago
RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Geography does matter. How would you feel if the A-10 men's Basketball tournament only rotated between DC and Pittsburgh in coming years as these sites were more convenient for other members? How would you feel if Fordham was gone and UMass found an all sports conference leaving URI several hundreds of miles away from the next closest member school? How would you feel about having few road games that you might reasonably consider traveling to? How would you feel about the great rise in travel costs for ALL sports at URI and the added class time all our student athletes would miss ( only men's basketball would fly charter). URI is very much already now a bit of an after thought for much of the A-10 membership, league office administration, media, and fans. We constantly complain here about how URI is often forgotten and slighted when it comes to many matters. That would only get worse if the league adds members even further away.
Sorry, I do not agree and I also I believe this is not expansive thinking. It also smacks of "woe is me", whiney kind of thinking. We should always have stretch aspirations. We will never be in a P5 conference, but our goal for our marquee sport, basketball, should be in a high mid-major conference with as national reputation. Act like P5 but at our level. Do you think somebody in California is worrying tonight because they can't easily drive to their basketball game with Colorado. I don't want to act like the NEC conference. Thankfully I have some knowledge about how our Athletics admin team is thinking and they not are in you mode. And I certainly don't share your defeatist opinion that we are an afterthought in the A-10.
Totally agree with Obes. If we used that thinking we should be considering UNH and Merrimack to join our league so a few dozen fans can drive to games no one will care about. I don't get this thinking of "URI is an after thought" - we have been on the receiving end of a great TV schedule for the last few years, we were awarded a very good schedule this year for a team wanting to make the NCAAs (pairing with Dayton, VCU and Davidson), heck when we were given the 7 seed 2 years ago and awarded a game against the weakest 10 seed we were shown great respect. Enough with the woe is me. DC is also a great spot for the A10 tourney, i had a great time there 2 years ago. This is antiquated thinking, and the same thinking that has some people saying we need Fordham bc we need a team in NYC. Times have changed, innovate or die.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Why don't we invest more in the URI program and look to upgrade to a stronger conference? Did we lose an opportunity when UCONN left the Big East? Could we have thought big and filled that void. Maybe PC wouldn't have objected. Too late, they took UCONN back. It's just a matter of time before UMASS leaves the A10.
NCAAs or Bust!