Week #13 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Week #13 - Games of Interest

Unread post by RF1 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago They Bonnie team also lost to Hofstra and Siena in the non conference.

They make it a habit to have at large crushing losses early.

I mean this year they have a win over Rutgers where they DOMINATED them.

Too bad they fumbled out of the gate so bad, otherwise they'd be in alright shape.
SBU had nearly no chance at an at large once their schedule was finalized. The OOC was extremely weak with Rutgers being the only top conference foe (played no other P5, BE, AAC, or MWC teams). Their A-10 schedule also did not help their cause any with just single games versus Dayton, VCU, and URI (all of which they just lost) .
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

Do we REALLY think that it's possible we could win the A10 and NOT get an at large? The team that wins the A10 regular season will receive an at large bid, i.e., will reach the goal highlighted above...an NCAA at large. Wager: If a non-Fly-uhz team wins the conference and does get an at large, you buy me a six pack, if it doesn't, I'll buy you a case. Chances are practically nil that the team winning the A10 doesn't get an automatic ('the goal').

The talk about going for second is around 'reality probably is etc...', but I would say, there's no way we win the A10 and DO NOT get an at-large.
I don't care what happens to every other team in the conference, that's not happening. just my humble opinion, of course
Yes. It literally happened to the Bonnies 4 years ago.

If Rhody beats a good Dayton team, once or twice, there is a better chance not only of an at-large bid, but of a better seed.

If Rhody beats a decent Dayton team, once or twice, there is less of a chance of an at-large bid or a better seed.

No where on the selection sheet does it say where you finished in your conference. Only who you beat and who you lost to.

4 years ago, when there was a 3 way tie for first...
My wager offer stands - for anyone. A non-Dayton team wins the conference and gets an automatic bid, I get a sixer.
A non-Flyers team wins the conference and doesn't get an automatic bid...they get a case.
Just saying that it is possible. A 3 way tie for first would be a possible dystopian hellscape scenario that could happen if Dayton starts losing bad games and teams neck-and-neck with us get random wins against the Flyers.

This bet is a non-starter for me because there are scenarios where my situation or yours could happen. If a non-Dayton team takes 1st in the A10 because they beat a very good Dayton team to get there;

1) URI 17-1, 2) UD 16-2 or 1) VCU 16-2, 2) UD 15-3 - yes. Either of those teams is a sure fire at-large bid and a 6 seed.

However, if a non-Dayton team takes 1st in the A-10 because Dayton lost it for themselves;

1) URI 12-6, 2) UD 12-6 3) VCU 12-6 - no. URI winning what would be a down conference with 3 barely top 50 net teams is not going to the dance automatically.

In this awful scenario that I shouldn't even have to dream about 27 hours before the biggest game of the season, URI would have maybe 1, possibly 2 Q1 wins to go with a bunch of bad losses. Outside looking in.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

None of these scenarios are remotely likely. Dayton is more than 90% likely to win the conference regular season. Some places have them at better than 97% to win it. It’s nice to see all these places also have URI as the second most likely team to come in first, but when the odds are around 7% it doesn’t seem like what you want to pin your hopes and dreams on. I’m not going to root for an outcome that will hurt me 9/10 times because it could help me 1/10 times, especially when the benefit of the good scenario is not even all that big.

Similarly, it is never going to happen that Dayton, URI and VCU are going to collectively lose 15 of their final 24 games and finish in a 3 way tie for first place, so who cares what the NCAA implications of that would be?

If we are daydreaming perfect scenarios, you should want Dayton to win out except for their 2 games against us and for URI to finish 17-1 and Dayton 16-2. There are almost no scenarios where a weakened Dayton helps URI, so there is no reason to be rooting for them to be upset by someone else in the conference.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This whole conversation stems from the fact that NYG wanted Richmond to beat Dayton when they played last week. All these scenarios aside you will never convince me that would be a good thing for URI or for the league.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

- 1st Place A10 Conference
- Win A10 Tournament
67C994B6-C69E-4254-B45F-87575D5AC0A4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I agree with thinking big but rooting for another team to fail is not the definition of “Big Thinking,” especially when that team failing is just as likely to hurt you as help you, if not more. Thinking Big cannot wholly dispense with logic and completely ignore reality or it loses all meaning as a concept.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

Do we REALLY think that it's possible we could win the A10 and NOT get an at large? The team that wins the A10 regular season will receive an at large bid, i.e., will reach the goal highlighted above...an NCAA at large. Wager: If a non-Fly-uhz team wins the conference and does get an at large, you buy me a six pack, if it doesn't, I'll buy you a case. Chances are practically nil that the team winning the A10 doesn't get an automatic ('the goal').

The talk about going for second is around 'reality probably is etc...', but I would say, there's no way we win the A10 and DO NOT get an at-large.
I don't care what happens to every other team in the conference, that's not happening. just my humble opinion, of course
Yes. It literally happened to the Bonnies 4 years ago.

If Rhody beats a good Dayton team, once or twice, there is a better chance not only of an at-large bid, but of a better seed.

If Rhody beats a decent Dayton team, once or twice, there is less of a chance of an at-large bid or a better seed.

No where on the selection sheet does it say where you finished in your conference. Only who you beat and who you lost to.

4 years ago, when there was a 3 way tie for first...
My wager offer stands - for anyone. A non-Dayton team wins the conference and gets an automatic bid, I get a sixer.
A non-Flyers team wins the conference and doesn't get an automatic bid...they get a case.
If URI wins the A10 Conference there is no way they don’t get an At Large Bid.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

So long as we make the tournament we are all gravy.

After that, ya gotta hope for as many A-10 teams to make it in as possible. Because the conference doing well along with us, also helps us.

So you want VCU and Dayton to solidly make it in.
You want them to take care of business against the weaker teams.

We also dont want Richmond, SLU, Duquesne, St Bona and Davidson to drop too many bad games. We dont want their numbers to suffer because that will hurt us.

Davidson, Duquesne, SLU, St Bona being Q2 wins on selection sunday helps us.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
Roz wrote: 4 years ago I know we want Alabama to beat LSU. DO WE WANT Duquesne or Dayton?

Depends. If your main concern is the easiest route to the tourney you root for Dayton. If you are like NYG and Ramster you root for Duquesne and if it ends up blowing up in your face you do like NYG does :lol: :lol:
Not sure what you mean by 'blowing up in your face'... We win, Dayton loses is a plus for us. Having sole possession or even being tied for first with Dayton is not a bad thing <sheesh>. Setting sights on 2nd place or rooting for teams ahead of us to win = Thinking "little". It's just nutty that anyone can think there's a downside to winning the conference outright, and that shooting for second place is better. Show some confidence and aggressiveness for crying out loud. The 'good news' is that the way y'all are rooting on this has no actual impact, thank goodness. :roll:

Not even going to try to explain this to you again. A lot of people on this board that are a lot more knowledgeable about this stuff than both of us are telling you you are misguided. I'm comfortable with that.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I agree with thinking big but rooting for another team to fail is not the definition of “Big Thinking,” especially when that team failing is just as likely to hurt you as help you, if not more. Thinking Big cannot wholly dispense with logic and completely ignore reality or it loses all meaning as a concept.
I would agree and take it even further:

Thinking big means thinking beyond the A10 conference.

No one on the NCAA section committee cares about the A10 or who wins it. They care about who you beat and who you lost to. Period.

Dear God we’re running in circles...IS IT GAMEDAY YET
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s NCAAs or bust just get us in
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bubble team Minnesota loses tonight at Illinois 59- 51.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Whatever, a lot of people like to think they are 'more knowledgeable.' But so much of this is really not even knowable, that's why it's great conversation. And when you think about it, seems that's a great biz plan for the NCAA.

All I know is that Dayton is 'this close' to 2 losses and us in first place. Hard to believe that if that had happened...we'd be bummed about it. But, if you would be bummed...because we were in first place alone...because that would mean the teams we beat weren't as valuable...I don't know what to say.

If the conference looked like this, heading into tomorrow:

Rhody 7-1
Dayton + 3 or 4 @ 6-2

Would the conversation go like this:

"Man, sucks that Dayton lost and we're in first place. If only we could be in second place and Dayton in first, that would be better. Hey, whattya think, maybe we should lose two out of three, so Dayton could move ahead of us, so when we play them, it'll be worth more?" (Essentially what people are saying right now)

or, would we be talking about:
- how cool it is when RothsteinLunardJoePalmPom calls us the class of the A10 and a team to be reckoned with in March and,
- maintaining a lead and gaining distance on each opponent we played, one at a time.

I seriously doubt folks would lose sleep if Dayton had lost and we were in first. Maybe, just maybe, we'd be talking about hoping that Dayton could hold on to 2nd place behind us (I might actually back that talk, but would more likely be thinking, bury them all, we're the lead dog and don't care what happens to them). All just a guess though, and it would follow that people more knowledgeable than me have better guesses, too. I just can't see anyone saying, 'well, they (fill in the blank) lost, so now we're in first...that sucks..." under any circumstances.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Whatever, a lot of people like to think they are 'more knowledgeable.' But so much of this is really not even knowable, that's why it's great conversation. And when you think about it, seems that's a great biz plan for the NCAA.

All I know is that Dayton is 'this close' to 2 losses and us in first place. Hard to believe that if that had happened...we'd be bummed about it. But, if you would be bummed...because we were in first place alone...because that would mean the teams we beat weren't as valuable...I don't know what to say.

Rhody 7-1
Dayton + 3 or 4 @ 6-2

"Man, sucks that Dayton lost and we're in first place. If only we could be in second place and Dayton in first, that would be better. Hey, whattya think, maybe we should lose two out of three, so Dayton could move ahead of us, so when we play them, it'll be worth more?" (Essentially what people are saying right now)

- how cool it is when RothsteinLunardJoePalmPom calls us the class of the A10 and a team to be reckoned with in March and,
- maintaining a lead and gaining distance on each opponent we played, one at a time.

I seriously doubt folks would lose sleep if Dayton had lost and we were in first. Maybe, just maybe, we'd be talking about hoping that Dayton could hold on to 2nd place behind us (I might actually back that talk, but would more likely be thinking, bury them all, we're the lead dog and don't care what happens to them). All just a guess though, and it would follow that people more knowledgeable than me have better guesses, too. I just can't see anyone saying, 'well, they (fill in the blank) lost, so now we're in first...that sucks..." under any circumstances.
You’re starting to become more annoying with this than me and my Harris posts.

And that’s saying something.

(Also you’ve been 1 billion percent wrong and everyone is in agreement with that. At least I have 1.5 years of games to use for my defense in my posts.)

Realistically, Dayton is a national title contender and we have very little shot to finish above them in the standings. Yes we all want to, but we understand there’s a slim chance of that.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Whatever, a lot of people like to think they are 'more knowledgeable.' But so much of this is really not even knowable, that's why it's great conversation. And when you think about it, seems that's a great biz plan for the NCAA.

Rhody 7-1
Dayton + 3 or 4 @ 6-2

(Also you’ve been 1 billion percent wrong and everyone is in agreement with that. At least I have 1.5 years of games to use for my defense in my posts.)

Realistically, Dayton is a national title contender and we have very little shot to finish above them in the standings. Yes we all want to, but we understand there’s a slim chance of that.
Don't all of a sudden become a lemming, stand up for yourself. Answer honestly -> "Would you have a case of the sads if Dayton had lost those two games and we were in first? " It's a yes or no question - go for it. Just post, yes or no, leave out the bs.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

Rhody 7-1
Dayton + 3 or 4 @ 6-2

Don't all of a sudden become a lemming, stand up for yourself. Answer honestly -> "Would you have a case of the sads if Dayton had lost those two games and we were in first? " It's a yes or no question - go for it. Just post, yes or no, leave out the bs.
I would because I would see 1 Q1 game disappear from URIs schedule.

No. One. Cares. About. First. Place. Mid. Season. In. The. A. 10.

Having an opportunity for 2 Q1 wins against Dayton means more to our NCAA hopes than being in first place.

If we ascend to first by beating Dayton that is great.

If Dayton descends to 2nd by losing games that is bad.

Seriously how are you not getting this?

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

This is sad. Fans of a team that purport to want that team to be the bell cow of the conference...wants another team in the conference to remain ahead of them in the standings. I get it now...it's a beaten down fan base. My point is, why can't we BE Dayton now? The difference between us and Dayton in the conference could probably be flipped in less than 5 possessions...

But everyone wants to massage Dayton's joints to make them a "super duper quality win", or else "we might not" whatever... fear is a motivator, I guess, but c'mon, go for the gusto. Be best.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

February 11 is the showdown at Dayton

Dayton plays 3 home games
Fordham this Saturday
St Louis next Saturday
URI Tuesday February 11

URI plays
VCU home tonight
UMASS home next Wednesday
GW away next Saturday
At Dayton February 11

First place in Conference could very well be on the line February 11

URI is just ONE GAME out of first place in Conference. Dayton was picked by Coaches to finish 3rd in the A10. URI was picked to finish 4th in the A10

So “WHY NOT US?”

Go for 1st place. Seniors Dowtin and Langevine will be sky high for this final game in Dayton of their illustrious careers at URI.

790493CE-DF93-4EAD-B482-BCFB99AA49E5.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

NYG this isn’t that hard and you are purposely changing the entire basis for the convo. If Richmond had beaten Dayton, which is what you wanted Richmond would have 3 Q1 wins and have beaten us. We would be in a tie for 1st but likely the brackets would have Dayton and Richmond in the tourney and us on the outside looking in. Everyone agrees the A10 will get 2 bids but a 3rd is sketchy. Whether we finish 1st or 2nd we are playing for 1 of those 2 bids. Given Dayton is a shoo in for 1 regardless if they finish in first or second we are playing for the other one and competing with Richmond and VCU for it. That’s it.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

This is the most ridiculous argument. Everyone wants URI to finish first if possible, but you have a chance to do it by beating Dayton twice. If you think that is unlikely, then maybe consider that it’s also unlikely to pass them without doing that. At the end of the day, the most likely scenario to getting into the tournament - which is the point to all this - is picking up a resume-making win against Dayton when they come here and finishing alone in second place. The primary impact of Dayton losing to anyone but us is that it would dilute that potential win.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Whatever it takes to finish either 1st or 2nd, doesn't matter to me.

Of course I would like us to win the conference.

However we have a LOT of work to do before we get to the end of the season.

One thing that we all like to do, is put the cart before the horse.

We have tonight, plus 9 more games to go....or 7 non-Dayton games if you will.

We need to concentrate on winning each and every one of those games, one game at a time.

We have to keep winning, and things will take care of themselves.

By the way, I don't see Dayton losing to anyone not named URI or VCU at VCU, the rest of the way.

Nothing short of 9-1 is needed to win the conference, with that one loss being to Dayton.

That's asking a lot.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago February 11 is the showdown at Dayton

Fordham this Saturday
St Louis next Saturday
URI Tuesday February 11

URI plays
VCU home tonight
GW away next Saturday
At Dayton February 11

URI is just ONE GAME out of first place in Conference. Dayton was picked by Coaches to finish 3rd in the A10. URI was picked to finish 4th in the A10

So “WHY NOT US?”

Go for 1st place. Seniors Dowtin and Langevine will be sky high for this final game in Dayton of their illustrious careers at URI.

OK, I'm convinced. (We should also probably actually lose the first game to Dayton...y'know, so as not to upset their apple cart and potentially cause them to go on a couple game loser skid and diminishing the value of our second go-round with them?)

New chant for us at the game tonight: Hey! Hey! Go Flyers..we're here to pump Dayton tires!

Second place, baby! All in.... :roll:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In-defense of 208 and non-defense of 208
  • I Would not go so far as to say I want Richmond to beat Dayton at this point in the season just as I would not want Fordham to beat Dayton tomorrow
  • But I do agree that 1st place should be the goal at all costs and I’m 300% sure it is for the players, coaches and 99.9% of all URI fans
  • Looking at the standings through 8 games URI is only 1 game behind Dayton. 1 game!!!
  • Several KB posters have said it doesn’t matter what place URI ends up in as long as they make the Tournament. I’m with 208 —- HUH?????
  • I agree with Blueman we want an A10 team as high in the AP Rankings as possible. Great publicity for the A10 just as it would be for any Conference
  • I root for ALL A10 Teams, yes even UMASS, as long as they are not playing URI
  • I love this Conference. Dayton, URI and VCU would all represent the A10 well in the NCAA Tournament
  • Screw being content with 2nd place, screw just wanting to make the Tournament like that’s all that matters. Win the A10 Season, win the A10 Tournament and get the best NCAA Seed Possible and then kick butt in the Tournament itself.

D73A6716-AB6E-46B2-A02B-ADCE6FC636B7.jpeg
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago Tonight on the bubble

Third to last bye BYU vs Pepperdine at 8:30 on CBSSN
Fourth out Minnesota at #19 Illinois at 7:30 on FS1
BYU won 107-80
Minnesota lost 59-51

Bubble teams are 29-35
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago February 11 is the showdown at Dayton

Fordham this Saturday
St Louis next Saturday
URI Tuesday February 11

URI plays
VCU home tonight
GW away next Saturday
At Dayton February 11

So “WHY NOT US?”

OK, I'm convinced. (We should also probably actually lose the first game to Dayton...y'know, so as not to upset their apple cart and potentially cause them to go on a couple game loser skid and diminishing the value of our second go-round with them?)

New chant for us at the game tonight: Hey! Hey! Go Flyers..we're here to pump Dayton tires!

Second place, baby! All in.... :roll:
Ok 208,

I’ll compromise, I’ll root for Dayton vs Fordham and St Louis so they are the highest rank possible, then I’ll root for Dayton to lose every game the rest of the A10 Season :D

No way I want anything other than 1st place. No settling.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

In tonight's bubble game, the college basketball world will be focused on

Second to last bye VCU at LAST BYE RHODE ISLAND at 7 on ESPN2
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You always know you’re getting thumped in an debate when the person on the other side has to distort and misrepresent your argument in order to continue the discussion.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Or when they’re just being really annoying.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But TP there are different arguments being made. They are not all the same
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

The problem is that NYG doesn't actually think we are good enough to beat Dayton ourselves so he wants other teams to do our dirty work. If he had ANY confidence in this team he would root for URI to win out and come in first. Like Blueman says...That way we win the conference because we are the best...not because someone else isn't so good.

208...wish you and Ramster had more faith in our team!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago The problem is that NYG doesn't actually think we are good enough to beat Dayton ourselves so he wants other teams to do our dirty work. If he had ANY confidence in this team he would root for URI to win out and come in first. Like Blueman says...That way we win the conference because we are the best...not because someone else isn't so good.

Didn’t I just say win the A10 Conference, Win the Tournament, Get the best Possible Seed in the NCAA and go as far in the NCAA Tournament as possible?

208 doesn’t want 2nd place, he wants First. I want First.

I don’t get caught up in how all of our OOC Opponents are doing. Most important is to finish as high in the A10 Conference as possible.

Win the A10 Conference and I see zero chance we don’t get an at-Large. I don’t care about what happened to St Bonaventure. No way URI does not get in winning the A10.

Don’t know how that’s a lack of faith.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I have all kinds of faith in our team...to beat Dayton 2x actually. I'm saying, don't just win it by a game...be the clear lead dog now. From wire to wire (almost). "The problem with BAR" is ;) , he doesn't think Rhody can get in the tournament without Dayton's shoes being shined. Like we need to hitch our balloon to them for some reason... I'm thinking, we run the table, AND win the conference by multiple games for good measure. Hello 5 seed, class of the conference.' We take care of business, it won't matter what happens to Dayton....

ETA...and I guess if you don't have faith in our ability to take care of business...I can see how you'd want to fluff up Dayton.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Lack of faith is in those basically giving up and handing the Conference Championship to Dayton.
I want us beating Dayton and winning the whole enchilada.

Dayton was picked preseason 3rd in A10.

I’ve been to Dayton Arena and seen URI win there.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago The problem is that NYG doesn't actually think we are good enough to beat Dayton ourselves so he wants other teams to do our dirty work. If he had ANY confidence in this team he would root for URI to win out and come in first. Like Blueman says...That way we win the conference because we are the best...not because someone else isn't so good.

Didn’t I just say win the A10 Conference, Win the Tournament, Get the best Possible Seed in the NCAA and go as far in the NCAA Tournament as possible?

I don’t get caught up in how all of our OOC Opponents are doing. Most important is to finish as high in the A10 Conference as possible.

Win the A10 Conference and I see zero chance we don’t get an at-Large. I don’t care about what happened to St Bonaventure. No way URI does not get in winning the A10.

The lack of faith comes in that you and 208 don't feel we can do it ourselves. You are both rooting for other teams to beat Dayton so we can win the conference.

Nobody else here (Blueman, BAR, TP, 83, me, etc.) is rooting for URI to come in second place. We are rooting for URI to go to the dance and being realistic about our best chances of getting there. If other bubble teams in our conference beat Dayton, they will have just as good a chance to come in first as we do. Not only that, they will also have as good a chance of coming in second or third as we do. However, if Dayton beats everyone else, that increases our chances of coming in at least second, and if URI is as good as we all hope they are, then we can still come in first by beating Dayton twice.

The most likely scenario give our regular season history vs. highly ranked teams is that we are going to lose to Dayton twice. If that's the case and other teams (VCU, Richmond, St Lo) beat Dayton, we have no chance of coming in first and less of a chance of coming in second.

If and when we beat Dayton, the discussion could change, but for now I don't want bubble teams not named URI getting marquis wins and i want URI to have as many chances at marquis wins as possible.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The lack of faith comes in that you and 208 don't feel we can do it ourselves. You are both rooting for other teams to beat Dayton so we can win the conference.

Nobody else here (Blueman, BAR, TP, 83, me, etc.) is rooting for URI to come in second place. We are rooting for URI to go to the dance and being realistic about our best chances of getting there. If other bubble teams in our conference beat Dayton, they will have just as good a chance to come in first as we do. Not only that, they will also have as good a chance of coming in second or third as we do. However, if Dayton beats everyone else, that increases our chances of coming in at least second, and if URI is as good as we all hope they are, then we can still come in first by beating Dayton twice.

The most likely scenario give our regular season history vs. highly ranked teams is that we are going to lose to Dayton twice. If that's the case and other teams (VCU, Richmond, St Lo) beat Dayton, we have no chance of coming in first and less of a chance of coming in second.

If and when we beat Dayton, the discussion could change, but for now I don't want bubble teams not named URI getting marquis wins and i want URI to have as many chances at marquis wins as possible.
Fear and lack of confidence highlighted above...sad face... "The most likely scenario is...we lose...." and you're saying that ramster and I lack faith? Good one.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago I have all kinds of faith in our team...to beat Dayton 2x actually. I'm saying, don't just win it by a game...be the clear lead dog now. From wire to wire (almost). "The problem with BAR" is ;) , he doesn't think Rhody can get in the tournament without Dayton's shoes being shined. Like we need to hitch our balloon to them for some reason... I'm thinking, we run the table, AND win the conference by multiple games for good measure. Hello 5 seed, class of the conference.' We take care of business, it won't matter what happens to Dayton....

ETA...and I guess if you don't have faith in our ability to take care of business...I can see how you'd want to fluff up Dayton.

your thoughts have long since passed insanity. we all want URI to win the conference. next i want them to get as high a seed as possible in the dance. the best chance of achieving a high seed would be to win the conference, beat Dayton twice and have those two losses be the only two losses dayton has. then we will have beaten one of the best teams in the country twice...not some fly by night that lost 5 or 6 games in the A10 conference.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

For the 1,000,000th time this conversation was initiated by NYG saying he wanted Richmond to beat Dayton. No one who understands the NCAA tourney committee or has an ounce of logic in their brain would have agreed with that, since that would have given Richmond a pretty significant edge over URI for an A10 at large bid. THAT WOULD NOT BE A GOOD THING. We aren't the Big 10 or Big East, there is basically a cap on the amount of bids the A10 will get. For sure 2, maybe if things break right 3. Since we are directly competing with Richmond (and VCU) for 1 of those 2 bids, and since they beat us, and since that would have been their 3rd Quad 1 win no one in their right mind (besides NYG) should have wanted Richmond to beat Dayton. This is not rocket science. This does not mean anyone is conceding 1st place to Dayton, quite the contrary. I'd prefer Dayton's only losses to be to URI, so yes I want us to go 17-1 and Dayton to go 16-2.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Fear and lack of confidence highlighted above...sad face... "The most likely scenario is...we lose...." and you're saying that ramster and I lack faith? Good one.
i'm saying your faith is BLIND. if we beat dayton twice, we win the conference and don't need anyone else's help. If we don't beat dayton twice, which regardless of how much faith any of us have, is more likely, i still want us to dance. in that case the best chance of dancing if we don't beat dayton twice is to come in second by ourselves. but based on your argument, if other teams beat dayton we could come in first. this is true...we could also come in fifth.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

If we beat Dayton @ Dayton it will be the second best win in college bball this year. The only top 5 NET team to lose at home this year is Kansas who lost to #1 Baylor.

Of course, a win @ Dayton would probably knock them down a peg or two in the NET, but the point being if Dayton continues to win, and we somehow knock them off, it will be one of the best resume wins of any team in college basketball. Them losing to anyone else prior to then waters down the quality of the win a bit.

A win @ Dayton or at home against Dayton is significantly better than our signature win against Seton Hall a few years back. A win against VCU tonight + avoiding bad losses + knocking off Dayton once = safely in and likely in the 8/9 game.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago I have all kinds of faith in our team...to beat Dayton 2x actually. I'm saying, don't just win it by a game...be the clear lead dog now. From wire to wire (almost). "The problem with BAR" is ;) , he doesn't think Rhody can get in the tournament without Dayton's shoes being shined. Like we need to hitch our balloon to them for some reason... I'm thinking, we run the table, AND win the conference by multiple games for good measure. Hello 5 seed, class of the conference.' We take care of business, it won't matter what happens to Dayton....

your thoughts have long since passed insanity. we all want URI to win the conference. next i want them to get as high a seed as possible in the dance. the best chance of achieving a high seed would be to win the conference, beat Dayton twice and have those two losses be the only two losses dayton has. then we will have beaten one of the best teams in the country twice...not some fly by night that lost 5 or 6 games in the A10 conference.
Do you think Dayton Nation is rooting for us to win all our games except for against them?
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Do you think Dayton Nation is rooting for us to win all our games except for against them?
Dayton is securely in. I believe they want to take care of their own business. I think they want to win all their games and hope that URI, VCU, RIchmond don't lose to lesser teams in the conference so that their wins against those bubble teams aren't diluted.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Dude just stop. Its beyond annoying. Dayton and us are not in the same situation. Dayton is squarely in the tourney. We are on the bubble and need more quality wins AND to finish in no worse than 2nd to feel safe.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Dude just stop. Its beyond annoying. Dayton and us are not in the same situation. Dayton is squarely in the tourney. We are on the bubble and need more quality wins AND to finish in no worse than 2nd to feel safe.
Dude...just stop, yourself. Block me or don't read me....good grief....lighten up Francis
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Guys, we are so concerned about everyone else.

We. WE! Have to take care of business...FIRST.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

In 2018, at the end of January we were 10-0 and had games with VCU, Davidson and Richmond ahead of our trip to Olean. Do you think Bonnies was rooting for us or our opponents? Whatever the answer, they should have been rooting for us because we went there as a top-20 team and gave them a signature win that put them in the NCAA tournament in the play-in game with a second place A10 finish. If we’d have lost two of those games, let’s say, they’d have finished in first but with no Q1 wins and more likely than not in the NIT.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago Dayton is securely in. I believe they want to take care of their own business. I think they want to win all their games and hope that URI, VCU, RIchmond don't lose to lesser teams in the conference so that their wins against those bubble teams aren't diluted.
Dayton is NOT securely in. Granted, the chances of a Baronesque collapse are de minimus, but there's still an eternity left in the regular season.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Lets win them all. All the games left. Make it the best year. Overshadow everything that came the last 5 years.

This team is awesome.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago Dayton is securely in. I believe they want to take care of their own business. I think they want to win all their games and hope that URI, VCU, RIchmond don't lose to lesser teams in the conference so that their wins against those bubble teams aren't diluted.
Dayton is NOT securely in. Granted, the chances of a Baronesque collapse are de minimus, but there's still an eternity left in the regular season.

to the best of my recollection, none of baron's teams were projected to be a top 4 seed in any bracket at any time during the regular season.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Some are getting way ahead of themselves here. We aren't even 1/2 way through the conference schedule.
Being named the last 4 in by Lunardi is nice but I would almost rather we were listed on the first 4 out or
not at all. We don't need anyone on the team reading that crap and getting complacent.
There are 5 of the 10 games left that we could easily lose. We absolutely have to take care of business.
I am hoping for a split against Dayton, but we could easily lose both , VCU, Davidson and St. Louis. This teams
offensive dead spots really worry me as do Cyril and Harris's health.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago

I hold this post is a troll.

They are a billion percent in.
Go Rhody