1/8 | Davidson | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/8 | Davidson | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by section(105) »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ......loved the last hoop.....
.......still love the last hoop by a Fatts, after all this is not an intramural or CYO league, the boys and girls at this level, I think can handle this happening to them.....yes, what goes around, comes around, we can handle it......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

If you watch this clip, the shot was contested and the Davidson player jokingly bumped Fatts after the shot. No one seemed to take offense. He also seemed to ask coach as he was walking off the floor if he did anything wrong on that.

You be the judge.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhody will have to raise its level of play on Saturday, but in reading some of these posts, you would think VCU is a reincarnation of the back to back Duke championship teams of the early 90s. Don’t get me wrong, they’re a good team, but no one is pegging them as a possible Final Four team, as some are with Dayton.
Let’s hope Rhody doesn’t make them look like one of those Duke teams on Saturday.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Maybe Cox should play Cyril off the bench in the next game.
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
.......still love the last hoop by a Fatts, after all this is not an intramural or CYO league, the boys and girls at this level, I think can handle this happening to them.....yes, what goes around, comes around, we can handle it......
I like it from a confidence perspective, he needed to make a few 3s before VCU.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Maybe Cox should play Cyril off the bench in the next game.
He did that once before.
OldSchoolRhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OldSchoolRhody »

Grrrrrr. What’s this mean?

We're... We're going streaking! We're going up down the quad and to the gymnasium! Who is in? Let's Go Rhody!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

OldSchoolRhody wrote: 4 years ago Grrrrrr. What’s this mean?

He posts his stats after a loss and posts this after a win. This kid is very talented but I don't like what I'm seeing. He has the potential to be one of the top players in the A10. It's good to be somewhat relaxed but he's a little too relaxed for me. Lazy passes on offense, not fighting through screens on defense. Somebody needs to light a fire under his ass. Even if that post had nothing to do with basketball, I need to see him care a little less about himself and a little more about that team. I say this because I'm rooting for him. I don't want him wasting his time here. Play harder, care more. That IS what's best for both you AND the team.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

You guys forget these kids live actual lives OFF THE COURT. They have girlfriends, friends, enemies, etc.....

Stop reading so deeply into everything. They are growing up before our eyes, life goes on.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

My bad, but Tyrese Martin for me is the player I like to criticize. I have to say he is an outstanding rebounder, but his body language and lack of intensity is a downer. Who walks around with his head thrown back like he's some sort of debutante? Skill wise he is a terrible passer, but more damning he does not show good decision making especially in crunch time.

In general, the Rams continue to lack defensive spark and that will be their downfall at VCU who last year torched us by 34 at their place.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Why can't we get grad transfers like Christian Thompson? Averaging 13+ pts/game leads his team in rebounding and assists. oh wait
Tulane sucks worse than rhody does and he’s being asked to produce wayyyyy more than he ever would have gotten the chance to here. Very different situation
No doubt on your points made. And I'm not forgetting that CT had several frustr8ing plays and lousy passes last year but I am also frustrated with our lack of guard depth. As a fan I get to ignore the former and focus on the latter as it is current. Really any half decent guard would do to relieve some of the pressure on Dowtin and Fatts.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago You guys forget these kids live actual lives OFF THE COURT. They have girlfriends, friends, enemies, etc.....

Stop reading so deeply into everything. They are growing up before our eyes, life goes on.
Like I said, even if that post wasn't about basketball (but it did just so happen to be a couple of hours after a game. He could have been reading here) , I don't like what he's doing on the court. I'll use just one play as as example. Last night, he turned the ball over. The second Davidson got control of the ball, 9 players were running hard the other way. Tyrese was jogging slowly with his head down. All I ask of these kids is to play hard, give 100% at all times. I see him dogging it too often. Like BAR said, taking the easy way out and going under screens instead of fighting through them, the lackadaisical passes, things like that, just not the effort i want to see. And it's too bad, because he's obviously gifted. HYe could make us a better team is he went out there and busted his ass on every offensive and defensive possession.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I agree 100 percent. Play until the final buzzer regardless of score. I used to hate it when Dan would put in the end of the bench guys in with less than two minutes left in the game and then tell them not to run the offense at the end of the game. I had a special place in my heart for Delonte West for always playing to the final buzzer with the Celtics.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago
I agree 100 percent. Play until the final buzzer regardless of score. I used to hate it when Dan would put in the end of the bench guys in with less than two minutes left in the game and then tell them not to run the offense at the end of the game. I had a special place in my heart for Delonte West for always playing to the final buzzer with the Celtics.
And 10% off at the MEWS!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago You guys forget these kids live actual lives OFF THE COURT. They have girlfriends, friends, enemies, etc.....

Like I said, even if that post wasn't about basketball (but it did just so happen to be a couple of hours after a game. He could have been reading here) , I don't like what he's doing on the court. I'll use just one play as as example. Last night, he turned the ball over. The second Davidson got control of the ball, 9 players were running hard the other way. Tyrese was jogging slowly with his head down. All I ask of these kids is to play hard, give 100% at all times. I see him dogging it too often. Like BAR said, taking the easy way out and going under screens instead of fighting through them, the lackadaisical passes, things like that, just not the effort i want to see. And it's too bad, because he's obviously gifted. HYe could make us a better team is he went out there and busted his ass on every offensive and defensive possession.
I'm not jumping on the dumping on Tyrese train, just wanted to add that he looks like he could have a significant career at the next level if he works at it. And as has been suggested it appears he takes some sequences off, he can't do that and rise to his potential. As Bb stated we are fans of the players, I'm, again, not chiming in to be down on Martin but to say there is so much potential there but smooth scoring offense is only one aspect of what is needed at the next level.
Go Rhody!!!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Someone will have to explain to me the brilliance of beginning the game with a player on the bench, putting him into the game before the first media timeout and then having him play the entire rest of the game. Obviously this is a very giant brain move and I am just not smart enough to understand it. Fortunately for me, no other coach in the history of basketball has ever elevated to this level of genius either so I’m in good company at least.
It's not too popular in the college level, but has been utilized at the NBA level.

Manu Ginobili is probably the most popular example of this, followed by Lamar Odom with the Lakers, James Harden with the Thunder, and Jamal Crawford with the Clippers.

The thought process was that there were enough solid starters, that it gets them coming off-the-bench playing against fatigued starters and bench players, allowing them to help balance lineups.

The difference though is that in the NBA, most starters play between 30-35 minutes in a 48 minute game. The bench is always going to play a factor in the middle of the first and second halves, it's just the way NBA rotations are run.

That does not exist in college, which is why I don't believe it has ever caught on as a popular strategy. College starters play the same (if not more) minutes than NBA starters, with a condensed time. Often there are always three starters on-the-court, if not more.

If you are someone who believes that 36 minutes is 36 minutes, then it does not matter when they are played.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think its a way for cox to show that the team is above the individual. Anyone can start if they deserve it (Toppin) and any starter can come off the bench (Fatts) if need be. Fatts accepted it as quoted by Bill Koch and we won the game so all is well.
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago One thing I will say about Davidson and whether they are good or not good - if they shoot 4-23 from 3, they aren’t going to win many games especially on the road. How much we played a part in that dismal performance is really tough to say. It didn’t seem like they had too many just absolute prayers that they threw up, but then again it wasn’t like they were completely uncontested shots that they just couldn’t make. Our perimeter defense has been an issue so it will be interesting to see if we can carry this over and hold other teams down from 3 or this was just a one off (which would indicate to me Davidson just had a bad night and we got lucky).
They had a Top 50 offense in KenPom coming into last night (and even with the loss they're still at 52). But oh man did it NOT look like it at all. Maybe GBG can shed some light since he's our resident expert on Top 50 KenPom offenses.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

WRT that last shot - if you were watching the clock wind down, the two Davidson guards were chilling and then both deeked a press (jokingly) at Dowtin, who re-actively passed to Fatts who then shot. It was all in fun. It's ok for games to actually be fun.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

My takes from last night for my first trip to the Ryan Center since the end of the 2017-18 season (in no particular order, some of which were already mentioned by others I'm sure):

1. You can not truly appreciate how fast Fatts Russell is on tv. It is just mind boggling in person. Now I did see him play a couple of years ago live, but with all the senior guards ahead of him his minutes were limited then so you didn't get the full picture. I was flabbergasted by his speed and quickness.

2. Toppin was great and I look forward to seeing him over the next few years, as well as Long. They'll be a good defensive punch and both have the ability to hit the 3. Obviously Toppin's offensive game is more advanced at this point or at least that we can see.

3. The national anthem singer was fantastic.

4. Great to see Luther Clay in the house. I was sitting one section over from him and could clearly see him and his family.

5. Great ovation in the second half for a former serviceman who had some connection to the school. I unfortunately couldn't quite hear the details if someone could enlighten me on what it was.

6. We complain about the refs every game and last night was no exception. There were some awful calls that thankfully didn't cost the game. Earlier I said Gudmunsson (which autocorrected to something else), but it was Brajkovic that was allowed to shoulder and elbow Langevine and/or Harris all night.

7. People keep harping on Martin, but he made his free throws late, and I liked the idea of the pass to beat the press, just needed to execute it better. One of the fouls he committed after a rebound after a late miss shouldn't have happened because Martin was fouled on his shot that missed. Of course, no call - but the play happened right in front of me and I could clearly see AND hear it. I don't know why the ref chose to ignore it. That said, I love Martin's game, and sure he made a couple of mistakes late, but also had some good plays to get us going as well.

8. It was a pleasure meeting Taylor Swift and Lovemyrams tonight. Had a good conversation about the game during halftime with these two amazing fans.

9. I'm hoping to make a couple more games this season and certainly hope to not miss another full season like last year.

10. I noticed on the video board that for a limited time you can get passes to the A10 tourney for $100 ($175 off normal price). I don't recall the website, but it seems like a great deal.

Edit to add #11:

11. Harris had a smooth hook shot basket down low in the first half. If that becomes a regular part of his game and develops it, he'll be an offensive force!

Another edit to add #12 and 13.

12. David Cox was fired up on several occasions. Since this was my first game in person since Cox took the helm, I haven't witnessed other performances, but this one instance anyway goes against those that claim Cox doesn't get fired up.

13. The post game came in crystal clear on 101.5 FM last night. I don't know if that is the normal station or not.
Last edited by steviep123 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Someone will have to explain to me the brilliance of beginning the game with a player on the bench, putting him into the game before the first media timeout and then having him play the entire rest of the game. Obviously this is a very giant brain move and I am just not smart enough to understand it. Fortunately for me, no other coach in the history of basketball has ever elevated to this level of genius either so I’m in good company at least.
It's not too popular in the college level, but has been utilized at the NBA level.

Manu Ginobili is probably the most popular example of this, followed by Lamar Odom with the Lakers, James Harden with the Thunder, and Jamal Crawford with the Clippers.

The thought process was that there were enough solid starters, that it gets them coming off-the-bench playing against fatigued starters and bench players, allowing them to help balance lineups.

The difference though is that in the NBA, most starters play between 30-35 minutes in a 48 minute game. The bench is always going to play a factor in the middle of the first and second halves, it's just the way NBA rotations are run.

That does not exist in college, which is why I don't believe it has ever caught on as a popular strategy. College starters play the same (if not more) minutes than NBA starters, with a condensed time. Often there are always three starters on-the-court, if not more.

If you are someone who believes that 36 minutes is 36 minutes, then it does not matter when they are played.
I think Havlicek is actually the best historical example, not that Ginobli and Lamar and Vinny Johnson were bad players. The 6th man is an important role - they even have an award for it.

But if a guy comes into a 40 minute game after 3.5 minutes then plays the final 36.5 minutes, all you’ve accomplished is handicapping yourself for 3.5 minutes. If they had 7 guys that all played between 25 and 30 minutes then staggering the lineups strategically might make some sense. But that is not at all what is happening here. Lots of people fucking love “sending a message” to players in a way that I frankly have always found creepy as hell and very, very disturbing considering the respective demographics of sports fans and players. That’s all this is about. There is not a basketball reason to manage Fatts’ floor time the way it was managed.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Why can't we get grad transfers like Christian Thompson? Averaging 13+ pts/game leads his team in rebounding and assists. oh wait
Tulane sucks worse than rhody does and he’s being asked to produce wayyyyy more than he ever would have gotten the chance to here. Very different situation
What is this revisionist history on CT?

I personally like the kid - but his effort was questionable and lacking 80% of the time he stepped on the floor. He maybe maybe 1 or 2 memorable plays that were drowned out by bad shots, worse decisions, and flat out not trying whether he was in the starting lineup or not. Even though he was an RS Sr he wasn't a leader on the team.

IMO Cox gave him way too much rope and Rese should've been starting over him 4 games earlier.

Not a bad kid at all, did everything the right way here and got his degree. Happy for him. But comparing his situation at Tulane and who he was as a player here is a false equivalency that's hard to top.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

This was the second home game I had to miss this season (the other was Manhattan) — and I wasn't able to watch, either, so I'll keep my comment narrow.

I've been critical of Fatts's shot selection and poor shooting percentage recently but otherwise I recognize he is a leader of this team and we would be nowhere without him. I love the decision to bring him off the bench not only because it does seem to have lit a spark under him but more so because it shows Cox was willing to TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT. (I'd have settled for almost anything.)
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago
No doubt on your points made. And I'm not forgetting that CT had several frustr8ing plays and lousy passes last year but I am also frustrated with our lack of guard depth. As a fan I get to ignore the former and focus on the latter as it is current. Really any half decent guard would do to relieve some of the pressure on Dowtin and Fatts.
Blueballs, Blue Man
I guess you missed this part of the conversation or chose to ignore it.
signed your friend,
Running Spam
Last edited by Running Ram 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody!!!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
And now it "worked" because we won. Ignore the fact that the worst we played was those first 4 minutes that Fatts was on the bench.
And the best they looked against Richmond was when Fatts sat with foul trouble. My only point is that correlation does not equal causation. Let's see what the lineup looks like Saturday before we kill Cox for this one.
Right, correlation does not equal causation is exactly what I am saying. Thats why I still think we won despite sitting our best player to start the game, not because of it.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago One thing I will say about Davidson and whether they are good or not good - if they shoot 4-23 from 3, they aren’t going to win many games especially on the road. How much we played a part in that dismal performance is really tough to say. It didn’t seem like they had too many just absolute prayers that they threw up, but then again it wasn’t like they were completely uncontested shots that they just couldn’t make. Our perimeter defense has been an issue so it will be interesting to see if we can carry this over and hold other teams down from 3 or this was just a one off (which would indicate to me Davidson just had a bad night and we got lucky).
They had a Top 50 offense in KenPom coming into last night (and even with the loss they're still at 52). But oh man did it NOT look like it at all. Maybe GBG can shed some light since he's our resident expert on Top 50 KenPom offenses.
It was said afterwards, that it was done to see if it would provide Fatts with a mental spark, after his past two games. Looks like it worked.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mekhi had a nice efficient game for 12 minutes. Especially valuable during this 1st half sequence:

13:39 Toppin and Walker enters game for Langevine and Martin
10:02 Turnover by Walker with bad pass. He did not return to game. Long enters we are losing (14-12)
9:31 Long rebound
8:42 Rhody down (16-12) Long steals the ball assists Langevine for breakaway layup
7:42 Game tied (16-16) Long swishes a huge 3P assisted by Russell for Rhody to go up (19-16).
6:42 Long fouls and goes to bench

Long played 12 minutes
1-2 on 3Ps
2-2 FT
3 rebounds
2 assists
2 steals
5 points
0 turnovers
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

DC, that's all I was suggesting. And it did work!

We all want what's best for Fatts and the rest of the team, and coach, and program.

Cox isn't the only coach that on occasion gives his players a subtle kick in the ass.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I was at the game but didn't get to post any comments until now.

First, I think URI did a terrific job defending the three point line. Most of the time they had to shoot over an out-stretch hand and I don't recall that we ever fouled a three point shooter.

Some times Tyrese just doesn't seem to be in the game. He is at his best when he is an aggressive rebounder and at his worst when he stands flat footed while an opponent blows by him.

Fatts needs to learn when his path to the basket is blocked. The two times he dribbled out of bounds on the right baseline were ridiculous. Fatts created a real match-up problem for Davidson. Fatts would do well to sit through a critical film review of his play and commit to a process of continuous improvement.

I'll state this as positively as I can, Jeff has the highest basketball IQ on the team.

Cox is not giving Walker much of a chance and I don't know why. He has too much talent and potential to be relegated to the bench as soon as he makes a mistake.
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago

And now it "worked" because we won. Ignore the fact that the worst we played was those first 4 minutes that Fatts was on the bench.
And the best they looked against Richmond was when Fatts sat with foul trouble. My only point is that correlation does not equal causation. Let's see what the lineup looks like Saturday before we kill Cox for this one.
Right, correlation does not equal causation is exactly what I am saying. Thats why I still think we won despite sitting our best player to start the game, not because of it.
Which is fair but I was coming from the other side. URI played poorly to start last night while Fatts was on the bench but that is different than URI started poorly BECAUSE Fatts was on the bench. A simple difference in philosophy but happy with the result.

We may disagree on the means (starting Fatts on the floor or on the bench) but still agree on the end (the team getting a win) and that's what matters.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We will need Walker against VCU more than against Davidson.

They are physical and athletic inside. Davidson was not.

I expect he will play a lot more Saturday.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago I was at the game but didn't get to post any comments until now.

First, I think URI did a terrific job defending the three point line. Most of the time they had to shoot over an out-stretch hand and I don't recall that we ever fouled a three point shooter.

Some times Tyrese just doesn't seem to be in the game. He is at his best when he is an aggressive rebounder and at his worst when he stands flat footed while an opponent blows by him.

Fatts needs to learn when his path to the basket is blocked. The two times he dribbled out of bounds on the right baseline were ridiculous. Fatts created a real match-up problem for Davidson. Fatts would do well to sit through a critical film review of his play and commit to a process of continuous improvement.

I'll state this as positively as I can, Jeff has the highest basketball IQ on the team.

Cox is not giving Walker much of a chance and I don't know why. He has too much talent and potential to be relegated to the bench as soon as he makes a mistake.

Agreed.

Especially on Walker playing only three minutes.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I like Toppin in the starting lineup. Maybe it’s time for Martin to sit.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The good Tyrese is way too good to sit for long....but after a bonehead pass or lazy play Cox could have him take a seat next to him for a couple minutes and do a little advising on what not to do.

Late in a close game, he needs to handle the ball less until he proves less prone to mistakes.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago We will need Walker against VCU more than against Davidson.

They are physical and athletic inside. Davidson was not.

I expect he will play a lot more Saturday.
It’s a guarantee he plays 17-20 minutes against VCU.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I just found out that you are not allowed to ignore the postings of a moderator which is the reason for the following post which is not intended as a personal attack:

True Point your opinions on Coach Cox are getting tiresome to read, not that I would consider you an actual foe.

I get it you don't like discipline, you have soured on Cox and now you seemingly are going to tell us in a hundred different ways. David Cox is responsible for and will be held ultimately accountable for the success or failure of the URI Men's Basketball Program. Coach Cox is a bright, hard working, and ethical man and I am behind him 100 percent. Why not let this play out to see how successful it will become?

In my opinion, the coaches that you had in the past, who would never take away your playing time regardless of whatever team rules you broke, did not do you any favors. Self discipline is a very beneficial to people who exercise it. Being a good follower is a positive trait. I will just leave it at that.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Stevie, the vet who was honored was John Stellitano from Westerly. He was a freshman football player at R.I. State in 1941. He left to join the Army Air Corps after Pearl Harbor and served throughout the war. He was shot down once. He got his degree after the war and became a teacher, then high school coach in Westerly and later principal and superintendent. As a westerly native, I don’t know him personally but he is a legendary figure, truly one of the greatest generation. I’m glad he was honored.

BTW I agree about the singer who didn’t appear to be more than 12 years old.
Slava Ukraini!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
RI_Bred wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
I did not see adverse reaction from Davidson players or Davison Coaches after the shot or while going through the handshake line - I was specifically looking to see if it had any impact and if any words or bad looks were exchanged.
But you write about a thousand words about it anyway. Got it. :roll:
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago Stevie, the vet who was honored was John Stellitano from Westerly. He was a freshman football player at R.I. State in 1941. He left to join the Army Air Corps after Pearl Harbor and served throughout the war. He was shot down once. He got his degree after the war and became a teacher, then high school coach in Westerly and later principal and superintendent. As a westerly native, I don’t know him personally but he is a legendary figure, truly one of the greatest generation. I’m glad he was honored.

BTW I agree about the singer who didn’t appear to be more than 12 years old.
Thanks for posting the details. He's an amazing man. And the PA announcer did a great job of emphasizing HOW MANY astounding accomplishments this man has. "He flew the maximum number of missions during World War II ... and that's not all ..."
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago If you watch this clip, the shot was contested and the Davidson player jokingly bumped Fatts after the shot. No one seemed to take offense. He also seemed to ask coach as he was walking off the floor if he did anything wrong on that.

You be the judge.
I noticed this as it happened to, both sides seemed to laugh about it. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal.
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago My takes from last night for my first trip to the Ryan Center since the end of the 2017-18 season (in no particular order, some of which were already mentioned by others I'm sure):

1. You can not truly appreciate how fast Fatts Russell is on tv. It is just mind boggling in person. Now I did see him play a couple of years ago live, but with all the senior guards ahead of him his minutes were limited then so you didn't get the full picture. I was flabbergasted by his speed and quickness.

2. Toppin was great and I look forward to seeing him over the next few years, as well as Long. They'll be a good defensive punch and both have the ability to hit the 3. Obviously Toppin's offensive game is more advanced at this point or at least that we can see.

4. Great to see Luther Clay in the house. I was sitting one section over from him and could clearly see him and his family.

5. Great ovation in the second half for a former serviceman who had some connection to the school. I unfortunately couldn't quite hear the details if someone could enlighten me on what it was.

6. We complain about the refs every game and last night was no exception. There were some awful calls that thankfully didn't cost the game. Earlier I said Gudmunsson (which autocorrected to something else), but it was Brajkovic that was allowed to shoulder and elbow Langevine and/or Harris all night.

7. People keep harping on Martin, but he made his free throws late, and I liked the idea of the pass to beat the press, just needed to execute it better. One of the fouls he committed after a rebound after a late miss shouldn't have happened because Martin was fouled on his shot that missed. Of course, no call - but the play happened right in front of me and I could clearly see AND hear it. I don't know why the ref chose to ignore it. That said, I love Martin's game, and sure he made a couple of mistakes late, but also had some good plays to get us going as well.

8. It was a pleasure meeting Taylor Swift and Lovemyrams tonight. Had a good conversation about the game during halftime with these two amazing fans.

9. I'm hoping to make a couple more games this season and certainly hope to not miss another full season like last year.

10. I noticed on the video board that for a limited time you can get passes to the A10 tourney for $100 ($175 off normal price). I don't recall the website, but it seems like a great deal.

Edit to add #11:

11. Harris had a smooth hook shot basket down low in the first half. If that becomes a regular part of his game and develops it, he'll be an offensive force!

12. David Cox was fired up on several occasions. Since this was my first game in person since Cox took the helm, I haven't witnessed other performances, but this one instance anyway goes against those that claim Cox doesn't get fired up.

13. The post game came in crystal clear on 101.5 FM last night. I don't know if that is the normal station or not.
Really? Taylor Swift was in the house?
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Roz wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago My takes from last night for my first trip to the Ryan Center since the end of the 2017-18 season (in no particular order, some of which were already mentioned by others I'm sure):

Edit to add #11:

Really? Taylor Swift was in the house?
The one and only - as in the KBB poster with the name Taylor Swift. Not to be confused with the performing artist who goes by the same name and also lives in Watch Hill.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Blueballs, Blue Man
I guess you missed this part of the conversation or chose to ignore it.
signed your friend,
Running Spam
Haha touche
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TS used to only be at her Watch Hill house a couple weeks a year.

17 mil for a vacation home.

I think I saw where the house recently sold however. Can anybody confirm that?

She's now the highest paid entertainer in the business.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
What is this revisionist history on CT?

I personally like the kid - but his effort was questionable and lacking 80% of the time he stepped on the floor. He maybe maybe 1 or 2 memorable plays that were drowned out by bad shots, worse decisions, and flat out not trying whether he was in the starting lineup or not. Even though he was an RS Sr he wasn't a leader on the team.

IMO Cox gave him way too much rope and Rese should've been starting over him 4 games earlier.

Not a bad kid at all, did everything the right way here and got his degree. Happy for him. But comparing his situation at Tulane and who he was as a player here is a false equivalency that's hard to top.
Thompson got beat out of his starting role by Tyrese Martin. Good move by David Cox although I would have liked to have seen it made a few games sooner. In addition I thought Cox gave Thompson more minutes than he should have following removal as a starter.
If we had Thompson now I’d still play the same starters and I’d play Toppin, Walker and Ling ahead of Thompson. Do not sure why the longing for Thompson here. It was a win win for URI and for Tulane
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Liked these Quotes by David Cox in today’s Projo:

"Our guys followed the game plan," URI coach David Cox said. "Their focus and concentration over the last couple of days was tremendous."

"We were there on the catch," Cox said. "We contested a lot of their shots. We stuck to the game plan as far as running them off the 3-point line and making them hard attempts."

"They didn't get a whole lot of backdoors and backdoor cuts on us," Cox said. "I thought the activity of our centers was tremendous. We kind of played a little one-man zone in that regard.

"They got us a couple of times with screens, but it was an effective game plan. The guys really came through tonight."

Very well managed game for David Cox. A game URI very much needed to win.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago TS used to only be at her Watch Hill house a couple weeks a year.

17 mil for a vacation home.

I think I saw where the house recently sold however. Can anybody confirm that?

She's now the highest paid entertainer in the business.
......as she is a regular on here, maybe she will respond.... :lol:
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If the shot clock is expiring before the game clock, shoot the ball 100 times outta 100. Absolutely no problem with that at all.

This isn’t baseball where we have to adhere to the “unwritten” rules of the game and make everything so proper and not hurt anybody’s feelings.
Go Rhody
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Oh My Lord! ramster, what is up with you people only reading the bits you want to and ignoring the bits that speak to your responses?

So you understand now that I was not actually wishing to have Thompson here now, but to have more depth at guard?
Go Rhody!!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Oh My Lord! ramster, what is up with you people only reading the bits you want to and ignoring the bits that speak to your responses?

So you understand now that I was not actually wishing to have Thompson here now, but to have more depth at guard?
So why not mention Silverio? Thompson’s performance at Tulane is brought up a lot around these parts so I thought you were missing him.
Sorry I misinterpreted your intentions.

I was vocal here wanting Martin in the line up last year and was elated when. Cox made the switch, not elated that Thompson still got the same minutes. But I get your intent now.