Roster Management

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Roster Management

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We were told that we had to hire Cox because he was the only one who could keep our roster and incoming recruiting class together, his supporters said he was principally responsible for the recruiting class, and he was the only candidate that could have us dancing in the 2019-20 season.

Since that time, four of the eight scholarship underclassmen he inherited didn't finish their time here, one of the four members of the incoming recruiting class (a player Cox was supposedly responsible for bringing here) never set foot on campus, and another of the four is now transferring after a year and a half on campus. We had to hire Cox to keep the roster and recruiting class together and he managed a 50% success rate in accomplishing his first task. You don't need an education degree to know that's a big, fat F.

Then we were told that that shouldn't count against him because those were Hurley's guys (even though we had to hire Cox because he was responsible for bringing them here) and because those players weren't actually good in the first place (again, had to hire Cox because he was responsible for bringing them here and why did we bring them in in the first place if they weren't actually good?). It would be different with the players Cox brought in as head coach. Well he's brought in nine players in the last year and a half. Four of those nine are already gone, one isn't eligible, and one is apparently redshirting.

This is HORRIFIC roster management, should never have happened, is not sustainable, and is showing no signs of slowing down. We've had 9 players out of 20 leave campus early in a year and a half (45% transfer rate), one of the 20 isn't academically eligible, one of the 20 apparently needs a redshirt year, and that 20 isn't counting the Cox recruit that never set foot on campus. What successful team has that kind of roster turnover? That's not a rhetorical question, can anyone cite any team in college basketball that's been successful with that kind of turnover in a year and a half?

One thing the Cox honks and I agree on are there no excuses for this years team, we just get to that place differently. They think none of the guys that left are good enough to play and that we have enough here to win now, and I'm glad to hear that, because I too think there should be no excuses. Cox needs to get to the tournament THIS season, or he should be gone and we should get someone in here who knows how to handle a college roster.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago We were told that we had to hire Cox because he was the only one who could keep our roster and incoming recruiting class together, his supporters said he was principally responsible for the recruiting class, and he was the only candidate that could have us dancing in the 2019-20 season.

Since that time, four of the eight scholarship underclassmen he inherited didn't finish their time here, one of the four members of the incoming recruiting class (a player Cox was supposedly responsible for bringing here) never set foot on campus, and another of the four is now transferring after a year and a half on campus. We had to hire Cox to keep the roster and recruiting class together and he managed a 50% success rate in accomplishing his first task. You don't need an education degree to know that's a big, fat F.

Then we were told that that shouldn't count against him because those were Hurley's guys (even though we had to hire Cox because he was responsible for bringing them here) and because those players weren't actually good in the first place (again, had to hire Cox because he was responsible for bringing them here and why did we bring them in in the first place if they weren't actually good?). It would be different with the players Cox brought in as head coach. Well he's brought in nine players in the last year and a half. Four of those nine are already gone, one isn't eligible, and one is apparently redshirting.

This is HORRIFIC roster management, should never have happened, is not sustainable, and is showing no signs of slowing down. We've had 9 players out of 20 leave campus early in a year and a half (45% transfer rate), one of the 20 isn't academically eligible, one of the 20 apparently needs a redshirt year, and that 20 isn't counting the Cox recruit that never set foot on campus. What successful team has that kind of roster turnover? That's not a rhetorical question, can anyone cite any team in college basketball that's been successful with that kind of turnover in a year and a half?

One thing the Cox honks and I agree on are there no excuses for this years team, we just get to that place differently. They think none of the guys that left are good enough to play and that we have enough here to win now, and I'm glad to hear that, because I too think there should be no excuses. Cox needs to get to the tournament THIS season, or he should be gone and we should get someone in here who knows how to handle a college roster.
And then there is the biggest question of all....should we have beer in our seats? :lol:
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Check out Dayton’s roster/personnel fluidity in the time after Archie left and within Anthony Grants first 12 months.

-multiple transfers (4+) including 2 starters
-multiple de commits (3+)

Look where they are now? Dayton has 5 inbound transfers on their current active roster so that tells you there was plenty of movement there.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago We were told that we had to hire Cox because he was the only one who could keep our roster and incoming recruiting class together, his supporters said he was principally responsible for the recruiting class, and he was the only candidate that could have us dancing in the 2019-20 season.

And then there is the biggest question of all....should we have beer in our seats? :lol:
You read my mind....
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

I believe you are making the situation a little dramatic here. Besides Tate which guy that left was going to make an impact on this team? Adams left to follow Hurley. Tertsea Leysard & Aris were never going to step foot in the court. Mading who the hell knows what his deal is. Thompson was a grad transfer that happens all the time in CBB. Silverio left for a lesser progran to be closer to home. Hammond saw he wasnt playing and have 2 guards coming next year who are already better then him so he choose to leave instead of it lighting a fire under his ass to try and improve. These are all end of the bench players.

The exception is Tate he would have and did play and i am upset to see him leave.

Long & Toppin look like 2 promising freshman

Harris martin and walker is an extremely strong sophmore class

So far 2 promising incoming freshman

Being a little dramatic stating cox cant build a college roster
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And that he should be fired if we don’t make the NCAA tourney. You sound like emotional and delusional fans on the PC board.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Check out Dayton’s roster/personnel fluidity in the time after Archie left and within Anthony Grants first 12 months.

-multiple transfers (4+) including 2 starters
-multiple de commits (3+)

Look where they are now? Dayton has 5 inbound transfers on their current active roster so that tells you there was plenty of movement there.
Sure, Dayton could be the model, as they are with most things in this conference. Hiring from within was suppose to lessen some of the disruption, and I think it did help. The issues, as I see them, are the wasted spots and recruitment efforts with the quick turnover/misses with Aris, Silverio, Hammond, and Mading (all guys brought in with Cox as the head coach) and the current open roster spots that are doing nothing for this team. There’s the minutes on the floor, and there’s also keeping the program strong. Next year is, again, a lot of new faces getting their first Rhody minutes. You look for leaderships not just from the head coach, and losing Dowtin and Langevine to graduation leaves a gap there with who’s left. It will be interesting to see who steps up. The biggest gaps in this conversation seem to be between just looking at the players who have left on an individual basis, one by one, and stepping back to look at the whole picture and consider the possibilities. It’s fine to say that this one guy would have mattered or not, but another to think about what that roster space and recruiting effort could have been or led to.

No good coach- and I consider Cox to be one- is a finished project. I said this before- there’s a path through this where Cox learns something about putting together and managing a roster and also this 19-20 team does well. That’s the best of both worlds.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Tate is the first departure that is problematic for me, but certainly it does not come close to causing me to second guess Cox’s hiring. The previous departures were either neutral (Hammond, Thompson, Akele) or helpful (Tertsea, Mading, Papadopolous).

Hard to say whether this one is at Cox’s feet or if this was something that Dana needed, which would make it hard to blame Cox for. But what I can say is that this is the most significant departure from the program since Hare and the most talented transfer since Billy Baron.

A year and half into his tenure, I can chalk the turbulence up to normal program transition, and the reality is that the upheaval during the transition has been way less impactful than what would have happened we hired someone else. Also, I’m happy with the job Cox is doing overall - keeping the core of the roster together was a bonus but that wouldn’t have mattered if people didn’t think he could coach. At this point, I think it is clear he can coach and he wasn’t hired just to keep the roster intact.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

While I understand your point of view, RhowdyRam02, I don't necessarily agree. The key players we needed to stay, stayed. Would you have rather hired a new coach, purged the entire roster and end up with a 5 year struggle to rebuild? I prefer the situation we have now to that.

Tate's issues could not have been foreseen.

Hammond left on his own accord - it must have been obvious to him in practice that he was not ready yet (needed a better handle, needed to get stronger, etc,) for this level of basketball. He could tell he was not going to play and decided to go. Can't see that coming.

Devale was a roster fill, lottery ticket type kid. 11-12th player that may have upside. No problem with a redshirt year. Could this roster spot have been used more efficiently? Maybe. But you have to consider the time frame, etc.

The only real 'bad' move was bringing on Sheppard knowing that he may not qualify - especially when he was filling a very specific roster need. That was a miscalculation.

I think the program's talent level is high, the on the court coaching is solid.

On a general note, transferring is out of control. I will bet if you look around, there are dozens of college teams with 10 or less eligible players on roster this year.
On the flip side of that is we will have a scholarship or two to use on the 'free agent' transfer market ourselves. Today's college roster seems to be 10 active players and three guys sitting out a year after transferring. It's a new world. Better adjust to it.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I know I underestimated the impact of the transition in coaches. To think that the transition would be seamless was naive on my part. All the kids got a new boss, including the recruits. A few have left; I'm thinking that it was inevitable due to the change in coaches. The end-of-the-bench kids were leaving no matter what anyway. Tate leaving hurts a little this year due to our lack of depth; but I think we have that covered. Our real problem is at guard if God forbid Fatts of Jeff get hurt. I think the Sheppard thing was unexpected and kind of blind-sided the staff; a learning experience. I think Cox has done a good job so far and we need to see what he can do. That will take a couple more years. I think the program looks pretty solid right now in Cox's hands.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

I am not as concerned with the players leaving as most here.....with the exception of Tate who I believe is an A10 player....

I am concerned that several players who left are not A10 level players in my opinion....someone overestimated their ability and gave them a scholarship...that is a trend I do not like.....

I will be concerned after this season if Tyrese and Mekhi or Jacob decide to leave....players we are counting on to be the core of the team next year and beyond....

I will be concerned if Sheppard is not an A10 level player....if Elijah Wood is not an A10 player....if Ish Leggett is not an A10 player...

Better that Cox let's these players leave (or talks them into leaving) then having deadwood on the bench from positions 4-13....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago I am not as concerned with the players leaving as most here.....with the exception of Tate who I believe is an A10 player....

I am concerned that several players who left are not A10 level players in my opinion....someone overestimated their ability and gave them a scholarship...that is a trend I do not like.....

I will be concerned after this season if Tyrese and Mekhi or Jacob decide to leave....players we are counting on to be the core of the team next year and beyond....

I will be concerned if Sheppard is not an A10 level player....if Elijah Wood is not an A10 player....if Ish Leggett is not an A10 player...

Better that Cox let's these players leave (or talks them into leaving) then having deadwood on the bench from positions 4-13....
So, does every team in the A10, have A10 caliber players from the top to bottom of their rosters?
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

No they do not......but I don't care about those teams.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago No they do not......but I don't care about those teams.....
Carry on.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Next year is not shaping up well at all.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Next year is not shaping up well at all.
This team is going to go to the tournament this season then return 6 rotation guys including maybe the A10 POY favorite, end up with a good recruiting class and add two transfers who will be in the rotation, and you will 150% say that there is no excuses for them not to dance because they’re bringing all these guys back yada yada. This is the same cycle every year.

For the record, I think next year’s team will be pretty good but they’re going to have to play a slightly different style than we've been used to with Cyril.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago I am not as concerned with the players leaving as most here.....with the exception of Tate who I believe is an A10 player....

So, does every team in the A10, have A10 caliber players from the top to bottom of their rosters?
Ramulous I agree with your ultimate conclusion here, but as far as the concern on not having “A10 caliber players” 1-13, I think you have to give the coaches some latitude to take shots on guys - especially knowing that in the current state of college basketball the back end of the roster is so fluid. If the coaches think they might have found something with a guy who is dominating against bad competition or has one unique attribute that they think they can build off of, take the shot and see if you stole a guy. If he gets into practices here and it doesn’t translate, the player will figure it out just as quickly as the coach and they’ll move on. Since you’re not getting minutes from the 11, 12, 13th guys on the roster anyways, what is it hurting you?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Next year is not shaping up well at all.
This team is going to go to the tournament this season then return 6 rotation guys including maybe the A10 POY favorite, end up with a good recruiting class and add two transfers who will be in the rotation, and you will 150% say that there is no excuses for them not to dance because they’re bringing all these guys back yada yada. This is the same cycle every year.

For the record, I think next year’s team will be pretty good but they’re going to have to play a slightly different style than we've been used to with Cyril.
Of course I will :lol:
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....where is our next “pioneer “ level in coming player....?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

So now we have Hammonds AAU coach trashing Cox on Bill Koch’s Twitter feed.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago So now we have Hammonds AAU coach trashing Cox on Bill Koch’s Twitter feed.
Link?
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago So now we have Hammonds AAU coach trashing Cox on Bill Koch’s Twitter feed.

I wouldnt call it trashing Cox. But seriously these people expect PT day one once they step foot on a D1 campus. Its ludacris
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago

I wouldnt call it trashing Cox. But seriously these people expect PT day one once they step foot on a D1 campus. Its ludacris
.......yep, “ disease of me” kicks is early and often, it seems to me.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Wow, 4 years of college. I’d hate to see what kind of kids he’s developing.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox does not guarantee playing time, they have to earn it.

The kid's a freshman you know? Not many play that often.

Some douchebaggery from that AAU coach.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Wasn't Hammond like a 2 borderline 3 star recruit?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Wasn't Hammond like a 2 borderline 3 star recruit?
He was the best player in Louisiana. Not sure how much that says...but.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I thought Wood was
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Wasn't Hammond like a 2 borderline 3 star recruit?
Well, it doesn't say much. Was he a 2 or 3 star recruit? It's not rocket surgery. You can say he was a 2 star recruit.
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

It is ironic that he left right before Tate because his minutes would have increased
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
Well, it doesn't say much. Was he a 2 or 3 star recruit? It's not rocket surgery. You can say he was a 2 star recruit.
Do you really think “rocket surgery” is a saying?
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
I really respect and like what Cox is trying to teach these kids. There’s more to life than basketball.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Cox is making mistakes, but he is a fast learner, recognizes his mistakes and moves on. Tate is a reserve and was moving lower in the line-up. Cox will continue to try to recruit better players without regard to position. If he gets one that plays your position, you will move down in the line-up. When I see starters becoming unhappy, I will worry about Cox.

This not just about players, it is about Cox's future as a basketball coach. URI is not the final destination for the type of coach we want at URI. He has to deliver and not just by winning against cupcakes a la Jim Baron.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It most certainly is. It was first created on this board.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

It most certainly is. It was first created on this board.
Rocket surgery...brain science...tomatoes tamatoes
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

he is shown as a strong 3 star on verbal comitts and number one player that year in Louisiana. If true, it shows offers from Mississippi, Mississippi State, Richmond, Tulane, Lo. Tech. Think Offers mean more than the "rankings" . He could count on 37 minutes from this year's team being available on next year's team. That is the definition of an opportunity- unless there is something personal that we do not know about, this sounds more like the new generation , NOW NOW NOW.

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on Hsmmond AAU coach get real

I like the discipline Cox is installing in these kids he is preparing them for their future hats off
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Let's see where Hammond lands and how well he does. Being the best player in LA usually means more than being the best player in RI.
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

It absolutely is. You don't have to be the brightest bulb in the shed to know that either.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yep

It’s Brain Science too...
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Every situation with these kids is unique, but Hammonds coach’s comments obviously hint at the perception from the players perspective in this case. And if so then sorry it didn’t work out but good riddance.

IMO we are every bit as good as Xavier, Dah Bishop isn’t sniffing the court and was ranked 200+ spots above Hammond. The minutes he was competing for were scarce from the outset, Jeff and Fatts are going to play 30+ every night. I don’t even fault a kid for not having patience, or feeling like they should be playing more, but this coming from the coach is 1 big part of the problem. Enablers.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And I’m ok if we never recruit another player from Louisiana. I’ll gladly roll the dice with the kid from Shea who scored 2000 points the other night instead.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Every situation with these kids is unique, but Hammonds coach’s comments obviously hint at the perception from the players perspective in this case. And if so then sorry it didn’t work out but good riddance.

IMO we are every bit as good as Xavier, Dah Bishop isn’t sniffing the court and was ranked 200+ spots above Hammond. The minutes he was competing for were scarce from the outset, Jeff and Fatts are going to play 30+ every night. I don’t even fault a kid for not having patience, or feeling like they should be playing more, but this coming from the coach is 1 big part of the problem. Enablers.

Coming from a HS under 18 AAU coach is a HUGE problem.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

It's only a problem if people respect that coach with his obviously ill-conceived thought process and use of social media MORE than they respect Cox who I believe has proven throught out his career that he is not only a pretty good coach (still more to be shown on that front) but also a stand out educator, leader, and all around good role model for young men.
I'll worry about it more if it becomes a trend.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I can’t speak for him, but I thought he meant it’s indicative of a problem in the culture more than that it is a problem for Cox.
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago And I’m ok if we never recruit another player from Louisiana. I’ll gladly roll the dice with the kid from Shea who scored 2000 points the other night instead.
In the words of Kenny Mayne: not in one game, that would be a record.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

After what has come out the past 2 weeks, I might be the most OK with Hammond leaving more than any other player (including Aris). I never want to say I'm happy with someone leaving, but so many things point to this being on Hammond with his ego and not so much on Cox.

Obviously completely different sports, but look at college football with players that were the best players at their position in their regions. They go to big time schools, get absolutely buried on the depth chart for sometimes 3 years and wait until their last year and blow up then go pro. Miles Sanders had to ride the bench behind Sequan Barkley for 2 years at Penn State, then showed what he could do in his 3rd year and went pro.

Being a 30 year old "millenial" myself I try not to generalize about generations because that's convenient way to make excuses for other people. If you dont want to compete, or think you should be getting more minutes even though you're coach is telling you that you're not ready, you either step up or you fold. Greg chose to fold, I wish he would have chose to step up because it would have been nice to see the best player in Louisiana develop here.

Or this is just a bad take from some out of shape idiot sitting on his couch...
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago After what has come out the past 2 weeks, I might be the most OK with Hammond leaving more than any other player (including Aris). I never want to say I'm happy with someone leaving, but so many things point to this being on Hammond with his ego and not so much on Cox.

Obviously completely different sports, but look at college football with players that were the best players at their position in their regions. They go to big time schools, get absolutely buried on the depth chart for sometimes 3 years and wait until their last year and blow up then go pro. Miles Sanders had to ride the bench behind Sequan Barkley for 2 years at Penn State, then showed what he could do in his 3rd year and went pro.

Being a 30 year old "millenial" myself I try not to generalize about generations because that's convenient way to make excuses for other people. If you dont want to compete, or think you should be getting more minutes even though you're coach is telling you that you're not ready, you either step up or you fold. Greg chose to fold, I wish he would have chose to step up because it would have been nice to see the best player in Louisiana develop here.

Or this is just a bad take from some out of shape idiot sitting on his couch...
I think you may be correct. Too many young kids have been made to believe that they deserve everything immediately. They all want it NOW, no time for waiting and working hard.

I believe we will see a lot more of this mentality in college sports unfortunately. From what I saw from Hammond, he needed to work harder to earn his minutes. He wasn’t spectacular the minutes that he was given on the floor.

I’m sorry he couldn’t wait it out a bit, but perhaps he never would have been a good fit.

Dana is another story entirely. I suspect that I may have a pretty good sense of what was going on with him and it was very unfortunate. I wish he could have gotten it together and stayed with the team. There is so much evidence now on the impulsiveness and immaturity of the male brain at their age. I hope he does not regret this move.