Week #3- Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #3- Games of Interest

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I thought he was more like 6'7" or 6'8'. My bad.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Actually Weeks is 6’4”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

6'4" is more a shooting guard than a wing. That's undersized.

UMass has been impressive so far, but they were early last season also...then they went south fast.

I'm sure they're better this season, but I'll wait until they play better competition before passing any judgement on them.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

UMASS has a tough schedule ahead, and I think that will help determine which direction their season is headed.

Virginia, St. John's/Arizona St., at Rutgers, South Carolina, at Harvard.

After 5 games last season, UMASS was already 3-2, w/ a loss to Harvard (a comparable KenPom to Northeastern this season), and a terrible home loss to Howard.

So at least in that regard, it's already an improvement.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago 6'4" is more a shooting guard than a wing. That's undersized.

UMass has been impressive so far, but they were early last season also...then they went south fast.

I'm sure they're better this season, but I'll wait until they play better competition before passing any judgement on them.
I get confused
When URI played Dowtin 6’4”, Robinson 6’4”, Matthews 6’5”, Terrell 6’3” and Martin (Garrett and Langevine would sub) who was/were the wing(s) and who was/were the shooting guards?

Weeks is rebounding well, stealing well and shooting the lights out from 3P. Leading the A10 in 3P Shooting.

To me in today’s game the line ups show only “F” and “G” with the rare exception of a “C”

To me you might have a point guard but on some teams that is blurred (not URI or PC) and you have two wings as we had in Terrell and Mathews. Now we have Fatts as PG, Dowtin and Martin at the wings and Langevine and Harris as “F”

The 1,2,3,4,5 designations seem ancient and belong in the era before the 3 point shot was approved/implemented and has changed the game in a huge way.

Weeks to me is a wing, a “G” who shoots great, can handle the ball, good height, rebounds quite well and steals the ball. Also has great genes being the son of Tyrone Weeks who was a star at UMASS and an assistant coach at URI. Plus being from Warwick RI I’m jealous and pissed that he is not here.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

A-10 went 2-0 last night as UMass and Saint Louis won.

On Thursday in the A-10:

In a 2 PM game, Saint Joseph's versus Florida in the Charleston Classic. On ESPN2.

Duquesne versus Indiana State in the Junkanoo Jam in Bimini, Bahamas, 6:30 PM.

Only one game involving URI OOC opponents:

Villanova versus Middle Tennessee in the Myrtle Beach Invitational in Conway, SC. 11:30 AM. On ESPN2.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And URI @ Syracuse 7pm :D :D

Soccer 8-)
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It will be interesting to see how St Joes does against Florida. St Joes handled UConn and UConn beat Florida.
“We will be good when we are good.”
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago One of the announcers on a dunk by UMass's Baptiste

"And BAPTISTE THROWS IT DOWN WITH THE FORCE OF 1,000 WATERFALLS!!"
that announcing crew last night was TTTUUURIBLE (Charles Barkley)

I watched most of the game and they were talking about Pierre, Weeks, etc getting the crowd pretty rhowdy and loud....like what f'n crowd, the strong turnout of 2,378 (it looked closer to 1,500 on TV)
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

0.00% chance there we 2500 people at that game last night.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago 0.00% chance there we 2500 people at that game last night.
there was contest mentioned from one of their sponsors, can't remember who, but basically a group of four can win front row seats...ha ok, so instead of me buying four shitty seats in the nosebleeds and walking down to the front row, i could win a contest
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It might have been 1500. Mullins is a lousy arena to watch basketball.
UMASS has had bad teams for many years, as bad or worse than the Baron years here when that Clown took the most beautiful arena in the East Coast and vastly underperformed.
Than God for URI finally pulling the plus on that era.

At URI posters are infatuated with attendance. The more people in the Ryan Center the better our chance for winning so the thinking goes

So if UMASS is undefeated with 69 people in attendance doesn’t that say their team is actually better that it is showing? Because they have very few fans cheering them on?

Virginia Game will be a good barometer. Plus they will play St Hohns or Arizona State as a barometer

UMASS starts a freshman Center and freshman PG. The Center has the green light to shoot 3Ps too :roll:

Weeks is first man off bench also a freshmen.

I think UMASS is considerably better than fans here do. But time will tell. I’ve been wrong countless times before.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

ramster wrote: 4 years ago It might have been 1500. Mullins is a lousy arena to watch basketball.
UMASS has had bad teams for many years, as bad or worse than the Baron years here when that Clown took the most beautiful arena in the East Coast and vastly underperformed.
Than God for URI finally pulling the plus on that era.

At URI posters are infatuated with attendance. The more people in the Ryan Center the better our chance for winning so the thinking goes

So if UMASS is undefeated with 69 people in attendance doesn’t that say their team is actually better that it is showing? Because they have very few fans cheering them on?

Virginia Game will be a good barometer. Plus they will play St Hohns or Arizona State as a barometer

UMASS starts a freshman Center and freshman PG. The Center has the green light to shoot 3Ps too :roll:

Weeks is first man off bench also a freshmen.

I think UMASS is considerably better than fans here do. But time will tell. I’ve been wrong countless times before.
Is it different for hockey? to watch a game?

I know the product is 10x better for hockey
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago One of the announcers on a dunk by UMass's Baptiste

"And BAPTISTE THROWS IT DOWN WITH THE FORCE OF 1,000 WATERFALLS!!"
that announcing crew last night was TTTUUURIBLE (Charles Barkley)

I watched most of the game and they were talking about Pierre, Weeks, etc getting the crowd pretty rhowdy and loud....like what f'n crowd, the strong turnout of 2,378 (it looked closer to 1,500 on TV)

The effect of four straight losing seasons has taken a toll on attendance at UMass. The school which has an undergraduate enrollment approaching some 24,000 and plays its men's basketball games in the 9,493 seat on campus Mullins Center has drawn just 9,959 to four games this season for an average of 2,490.

UMass-Amherst 2019-20 Game Attendance
UMass-Lowell | 2,563
Northeastern | 2,145
CCSU | 2,873
Rider | 2,378
YTD Average | 2,490

UMass-Amherst Average Season Attendance
2018-19 | 2,792
2017-18 | 2,994
2016-17 | 3,297
2015-16 | 3,365
2014-15 | 4,553
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

When you look at these UMass attendance numbers and contrast them to URI you get a interesting perspective. In the 17 year history of the Rayan Center URI average attendance has fallen below 4000 only once, in Baron's last season (8-23 record) when it was 3,829. Furthermore, if you look only at regular season games and those in the season ticket subscriptions, you have a total of 256 games and only three have fallen below 3,000 - St Bona in 2013 when 1,933 came out after a big snowstorm and in 2011, 2,737 saw game against Cleveland State, and few days later, 2,710 for Maine!! And in that 17 year history we had several bad teams with the worse being the three year losing streak starting with 2012-13.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

To be complete on Ryan attendance history, the smallest crowds were for the UNC Asheville (869) and McNeese State (858) games held on consecutive days as part of the 2013 NIT Season Tip-Off. These games were not included in the season ticket subscriptions.

Another low attendance game not in regular season was the 1,115 who saw the CBI game against Miami (OH) in 2011.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think the St Bonaventure snow game had about 400 people. No way that reported attendance was correct
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

First results of day are in as Villanova put the boot to the throat of Middle Tennessee from the tip-off, raced to a 8-0 lead and built it to 15 points in the first four minutes, eventually routing the Blue Raiders, 98-69. Nova took 38 treys, putting in 18 for a blistering 47% pace. MT had poor shooting all around.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Florida is applying the stick to Saint Joseph's in first half as the Gators have built a commanding 16 point lead at the half.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Florida is applying the stick to Saint Joseph's in first half as the Gators have built a commanding 16 point lead at the half.
Back to a 7 point deficit in the second half with 8 minutes left.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Daly has been averaging 19 ppg, 9 rpg and 6 apg and I’m hoping he puts St Joe over the top vs Florida. This game is still winable for St joe.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Daly also is using Eric Leslie type usage to get those numbers. Had 11 points on 17 shots when i last checked.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Daly is really good.

C'mon Joe's!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Gators pull it out 70-62.

Wish we got to play them right now!

Not a doubt in my mind we beat them especially with Blackshear getting disqualified.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Joes covers 13.5
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

n the Myrtle Beach Invitational ,Mississippi State handed Tulane its first loss, 80-66. The Bulldogs who never trailed in the game had an astounding 41-16 edge on the boards. Tulane's leading rebounder with 8 mpg is none other than Chistion Thompson who is also fourth leading scorer and is averaging 31 minutes of PT. MSU now gets to play Villanova next
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Trailing most of game, Duquesne pulls it out in the last 20 seconds to keep its record unblemished and keep Indiana State in the winless column, 74-71
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Florida is applying the stick to Saint Joseph's in first half as the Gators have built a commanding 16 point lead at the half.
"Applying the stick".... that, is fresh. To me, anyway.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hofstra upsets UCLA by 10 at UCLA giving the Bruins their first loss of the season. Say it ain’t so Mick Cronin.

Two URI Dan Hurley recruits in Class of 2015 Went up against each other. Desire Buie with 29 points for Hofstra played a great game.
Prince Ali not such a great game going (1-9) on 3Ps.
Omar Silverio 5 minutes no points for Hofstra.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Trailing most of game, Duquesne pulls it out in the last 20 seconds to keep its record unblemished and keep Indiana State in the winless column, 74-71
Baylee Steele went for 20 points off the bench for Duquesne. He could be in the starting line up soon
Grad Student transfer from Utah Valley
6’11” 240 pound center hit 4-6 on 3Ps
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Lots of A-10 teams in action in tournaments on Friday. In addition to URI versus North Texas in the Jamaica Classic, 4:30 PM. ET On CBSSN, they are:

Missouri State versus Saint Joseph's in the Charleston Classic, 2:30 PM. On ESPNU.

Fordham versus Nevada in the Paradise Jam in St. Thomas, 3:15 PM.

UMKC versus George Washington in the Bahamas Showcase in Nassau, 5 PM'.

Duquesne versus Air Force in the Junkanoo Jam in Bimini, 6:30 PM.

George Mason at #6 Maryland, 7 PM. On BTN.

McNeese at Richmond, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Wake Forest versus Davidson at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte, 7:30 PM. On ESPN+.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

North Carolina A&T versus Nicholls in Jamaica Classic, 11:30 AM. On CBSSN.

Tulane versus Middle Tennessee, 12 Noon. In the Mrytle Beach Invitational. On ESPNU.

LSU versus #15 Utah State, in the Jamaica Classic, 7 PM. On CBSSN.

Boston U. at West Virginia, 7 PM. A campus game in the Cancun Challenge.
Last edited by Obadiah 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah,
URI - North Texas is at 4:30pm EDT.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago First results of day are in as Villanova put the boot to the throat of Middle Tennessee from the tip-off, raced to a 8-0 lead and built it to 15 points in the first four minutes, eventually routing the Blue Raiders, 98-69. Nova took 38 treys, putting in 18 for a blistering 47% pace. MT had poor shooting all around.
Cole Swider had 26 points.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Obadiah,
URI - North Texas is at 4:30pm EDT.
Thanks, ramster, I edited the post making the correction.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I didn’t realize these Jamaica games had brought in the bleachers from my old middle school gym. I honestly love these November tournaments, so weird and entertaining. I really enjoy watching this Nicholls team. (ETA: I said a nice thing about them and then they sucked.)

Alterique Gilbert is hurt again. That guy continues to have the worst injury luck.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don’t think there’s been a single jump shot attempted in this Nicholls-NC A&T game... all dunks and lay-ups and a couple free throws.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

NC A&T has 23 points on 10 FGs and 3 FTs, and 9 of the 10 FGs have been either dunks or layups. No 3 pt attempts for A&T. Nicholls is getting murdered inside.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 4 years ago I didn’t realize these Jamaica games had brought in the bleachers from my old middle school gym. I honestly love these November tournaments, so weird and entertaining. I really enjoy watching this Nicholls team.

Alterique Gilbert is hurt again. That guy continues to have the worst injury luck.
UConn looked better without Gilbert. Breakout game for Adams. All three Fr looked good for UConn.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

This Nicholls game with A&T is surprising, A&T has lost four of its five games by margins of 20+.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’m trying to watch a little of this Tulane game to see Christion Thompson, but this camera angle is horrible. I feel dizzy.

Middle Tennessee looks like a fairly easy win for URI.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nichols State favored by 9
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
ace wrote: 4 years ago I didn’t realize these Jamaica games had brought in the bleachers from my old middle school gym. I honestly love these November tournaments, so weird and entertaining. I really enjoy watching this Nicholls team.

UConn looked better without Gilbert. Breakout game for Adams. All three Fr looked good for UConn.
I know, I was watching. I still feel bad for the guy. They need him to be healthy and much better than what he’s been so far.
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Looks like A. Jones isn't playing for Nicholls. He put up 16 on us before fouling out.
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Not a pretty box score for N St right now. Down 10 in 2nd half, getting outrebounded 32 - 20. Shooting 26% against 52% from the field.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Poor shooting is always a concern in these concocted tournament gyms...unfamiliar sightlines, different lighting, weird dimensions, etc.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NC AT is a terrible team bad loss for Nichols
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

CT is 7-10 and 5-5 from 3 today for Tulane for 23 pts with 4 mins to go in the 2nd half. having a good year so far - happy for him.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

I guess Nicholls just came in there bored and overconfident.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago CT is 7-10 and 5-5 from 3 today for Tulane for 23 pts with 4 mins to go in the 2nd half. having a good year so far - happy for him.
He seems to be following in the footsteps of the Jarrelle Reischels and Matthew Butlers of the Rhody world.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Looks like Nicholls went to Nine Mile this morning.