11/15 | Alabama | 7:30PM (NBC Sports)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/15 | Alabama | 7:30PM (NBC Sports)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

There are much fewer posts during a home game because people are actually at the game.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Tjrams91 wrote: 4 years ago 10 pages of doom and gloom for a loss against UMD, 5 pages for a win against an SEC school.
While you will likely end up being correct the Md game was a week ago and had more time for more posts.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

What a great game, took the whole family... 3 generations having a blast watching URI beat an SEC team!

As an aside, losses in general have more posts...a lot more to analyze when your team lost...only so many things you can say when things went the way you want it.
Last edited by RIFan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
Tjrams91 wrote: 4 years ago 10 pages of doom and gloom for a loss against UMD, 5 pages for a win against an SEC school.
We see this every year - there’s two reasons for why this happens:

1. People do tend to want to voice frustration more than satisfaction, which is true for all fan bases and not just this one. But also losses tend to lead to people arguing and sniping at each other also which adds to the post count.

2. A good portion of the difference has to do with home/away. We have way less people on during and after home games because so many of our posters go to the games.

I don’t think it is a reflection of the fan base not being enthused or excited about a win.
And anyway we were only up to 7 pages on the morning after the MD game, and we're on 6 pages as of this post.
alldayrhodyrams02
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by alldayrhodyrams02 »

Toppin is going to be special. I’m just amazed at his size and agility. I could see him being the best player in the league by the end of next year!
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

Got it, not here enough to really know. Apologies.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 4 years ago

1. People do tend to want to voice frustration more than satisfaction, which is true for all fan bases and not just this one. But also losses tend to lead to people arguing and sniping at each other also which adds to the post count.

2. A good portion of the difference has to do with home/away. We have way less people on during and after home games because so many of our posters go to the games.

I don’t think it is a reflection of the fan base not being enthused or excited about a win.
And anyway we were only up to 7 pages on the morning after the MD game, and we're on 6 pages as of this post.
On top of all that - the Ryan Center is stuck is 2006 without modern conveniences like working internet. It’s impossible to consistently post from that building.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

reef wrote: 4 years ago The announcer in the URI game said he thinks URI point guard Jeff Dowtin Jr has a shot at NBA next year he had 21 points tonight on 9-11 shooting there were lots of scouts there mostly to watch 2 Bama players but they must have come away impressed with Dowtin
Celts has 4 scouts there
I’ve been thinking this for a couple years now - even posted about it awhile back

He does a lot of things well .. hope he gets a look
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Great game overall. Did anyone notice Harris was really favoring one of his shoulders, it actually was looked like the way it was hanging that it was separated?

Cell phone service doesn’t really bother me, have to spend enough time staring at screens I can handle just watching the game.

The security line has to be quicker or done away with. Took 20 mins to get into the Ryan center, way too long.
Clapton is God
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Maybe we could have more than 1 Tupperware bin to put your stuff through and it would speed things up.
Simple stuff here Rhody
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Just home from RI. Rhody played a great offensive game. Agree with most of the posts. A few comments on topics brought up and a look into the defense.
Someone mentioned Toppin being part of a smaller lineup. He is the second tallest player on the team at 6’8” behind Harris. I realize he is thin and needs to build strength. He ability to leap helps offset his lack of strength in rebounding.

Cox went zone those few times because of foul trouble. Cyril and Tyrese had 4 fouls. Jeff, Fatts & Harris had 3.

URI needs to get better defensively. Toppin got burned a few times. Too many layups and guys open down low. Alabama shot 57% in the 2nd half. Rhody isn’t going to have many offensive nights with 85+ points.

Jeff and Fatts are still playing too many minutes (37 & 36 last night). They were playing so well Cox couldn’t sit them. The offense stalled one time when Jeff sat. Tyrese needs to take more minutes at SG and they probably need to increase the minutes with the 1 true G lineup. Get Jeff and Fatts down to 32 minutes.

Toppin will continue to improve. I think of the improvements in other Fr in the past - EC, Hass, Jeff.

Harris’ minutes could stay low (even without foul trouble) if he doesn’t improve. After Walker gets a few games under his belt there will be 5 players splitting time for the two forward spots (Tate and Toppin will play some at SF too).
“We will be good when we are good.”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I suspect some people are still having login issues too. But yeah, home games are always quiet around here. I've tried to stop talking to myself in game threads so much. :lol:
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I’ll start out by stating that I agree that it would be better if Jeff and Fatts played 3 or 4 fewer minutes per game. That said, it’s pretty obvious they’re both going to need to play 35+ minutes against good competition. As for fatigue, I can see it to an extent, but they have the media timeout every four minutes. Cox will have to pick his spots wisely to get them rest. He did a good job sitting Jeff for a bit with the big lead in the first half. The biggest issue with fatigue could be lack of good defense or reaching and fouling because they’re too tired to move their feet to get in good defensive position.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Fatts after 3 games.

16 assists to 5 turnovers.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I prefer them to be on the court as much as possible. I think the schedule should dictate minutes. They haven't played in a week so high minutes doesn't hurt.

Good game! Fun environment! I almost never post on game days at home because I am there.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

gorhody89 wrote: 4 years ago Great game overall. Did anyone notice Harris was really favoring one of his shoulders, it actually was looked like the way it was hanging that it was separated?

Cell phone service doesn’t really bother me, have to spend enough time staring at screens I can handle just watching the game.

The security line has to be quicker or done away with. Took 20 mins to get into the Ryan center, way too long.
i noticed he kept grabbing it and shrug/rotating it. hmmm...
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

We know Fatts had that otherworldly offensive display against St Joe’s last year, but I submit that last night was his best overall game as a Ram. He was the one guy who was just as quick or quicker than the Bama players. I noticed a couple of big defensive rebounds early. I don’t know how many steals he had, but his hands were active all night. He had a key deflection that led to a runout hoop when the lead had ben cut to I think eight. On offense, I can live with the number of threes he took last night. He’s so much better at the mid range game and his drives. I don’t even mind if he takes it to the hoop in traffic at times because he draws a second defender and a teammate should be in position to clean up a miss. Anything that leads to more player movement is ok with me.
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Just home from RI. Rhody played a great offensive game. Agree with most of the posts. A few comments on topics brought up and a look into the defense.
Someone mentioned Toppin being part of a smaller lineup. He is the second tallest player on the team at 6’8” behind Harris. I realize he is thin and needs to build strength. He ability to leap helps offset his lack of strength in rebounding.

Cox went zone those few times because of foul trouble. Cyril and Tyrese had 4 fouls. Jeff, Fatts & Harris had 3.

URI needs to get better defensively. Toppin got burned a few times. Too many layups and guys open down low. Alabama shot 57% in the 2nd half. Rhody isn’t going to have many offensive nights with 85+ points.

Jeff and Fatts are still playing too many minutes (37 & 36 last night). They were playing so well Cox couldn’t sit them. The offense stalled one time when Jeff sat. Tyrese needs to take more minutes at SG and they probably need to increase the minutes with the 1 true G lineup. Get Jeff and Fatts down to 32 minutes.

Toppin will continue to improve. I think of the improvements in other Fr in the past - EC, Hass, Jeff.

Harris’ minutes could stay low (even without foul trouble) if he doesn’t improve. After Walker gets a few games under his belt there will be 5 players splitting time for the two forward spots (Tate and Toppin will play some at SF too).
We got burned on defensive quite a few times, but that may have something to do with the fact that Bama is quoted as being the fastest team in the country.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I must say the biggest revelation I saw was Cyril’s distribution skill from the high post last night.

I think under the basket he leaves a lot to be desired offensively - at least relative to what he gives you as a shot blocker, rebounder, and athlete.

But his ability to pass from the center of the floor completely opened the offense up and led to some easy baskets.

I really hope we see more of that.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We have seen in the past 2 games the defense playing very well early and not so well later on. Two areas that lack of depth affect as the game goes on...outside shooting on offense and digging in on defense.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Jermaine had ice on his shoulder late in the second half
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Jermaine had ice on his shoulder late in the second half
He definitely looked like he was hurting at one point and favoring the shoulder, and I was surprised he didn't come out. Sucks that he keeps getting hit with these injuries.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

One other thing about Fatts. He has no fear and doesn’t shrink from the moment. You need players like that, especially late in close games and when the opponent is making a run. Players like this need to avoid hero ball though. That’s always the fine line. Fatts managed it well last night.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago I must say the biggest revelation I saw was Cyril’s distribution skill from the high post last night.

I think under the basket he leaves a lot to be desired offensively - at least relative to what he gives you as a shot blocker, rebounder, and athlete.

But his ability to pass from the center of the floor completely opened the offense up and led to some easy baskets.

I really hope we see more of that.
Probably a big factor in Cox decision to install high post offense mid season last season. He saw it, I certainly didn’t.

His decision continues to impress me and the national media is noticing. I was pretty much in on “cut bait” midseason last year.

No more. Cox decision to ditch dribble drive and utilize the high post set with two skilled guards attacking in tandem more than saved his job. If Walker can play this team will move into the very dangerous category.

A couple posters have mentioned our defense needs to improve. Sure, agree but remember that used to be us missing all those layups. We did what we had to do to get a nice win.

Can Tate finish at the glass or what?

Good night last night no reason in my mind to think this won’t be a solid team all year.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Tate's early season development has been huge. Such a great piece to have coming off the bench right now.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Is Cox okay with Harris attempting treys? He missed all 3 but two were in-and-outs so his aim is true but his touch is a bit off.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago Is Cox okay with Harris attempting treys? He missed all 3 but two were in-and-outs so his aim is true but his touch is a bit off.
Cox is ok with it. Fyi, Harris shot 40% from three his Sr year of HS.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

I’m hopeful that in a few of these games that might be called “cupcakes” between now and A10 play, we can get comfortable leads and dial the minutes back on these guys considerably. Getting 3 or 4 chances to limit them to 20 minutes or so could end up being really valuable, both in terms of keeping some gas in their tanks and letting Hammond and Martin get some guard minutes in case they’re pressed into service later on. One problem is that it might be a tough sell to Jeff and Fatts, who understandably may want to partake in the fun and get their numbers up and get some highlights to put in their instagrams. Hopefully the staff can sell them on it, because it is in their long term interests.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago Is Cox okay with Harris attempting treys? He missed all 3 but two were in-and-outs so his aim is true but his touch is a bit off.
Along with a lot of his fouls, he seems to be snake-bitten with his 3s. Both of those last night were 1/2 down.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

All Harris attempts hung on the rim a long time. Against weaker/ less athletic teams we should get offensive boards off of those soft misses. I like it if he’s open (within reason) make a few of those from the high post and the baseline really opens up. It’s in the flow of Cox’s offense for sure.

Again, wasn’t too much to dislike about the Ram offense last night. Our blend of look to push and half court sets was great. Having two guards with elite ball handling skills is a treat to watch!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago The more I see Jermaine the more I think he is playing out of position at the 4. He can be our center the next two years. I am fine with him continuing to start but I also think we are going to see a lot of smaller lineups with Tate and/or Toppin in there with Cyril or Jermaine.

I think you’re right about Harris. He’s a center. I was saying on the car ride up to the game, Harris won’t break through until after Langevine graduates.

But, as people have mentioned, Langevine looked great around the free throw area yesterday. I can see Harris being the biggest beneficiary if Langevine can play the Iverson role and Harris the Martin role in that high-low game.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Harris didn’t play down low in high school. One of the transitions he had to make was to become a back to the basket player.

I was at a National Prep event last Jan and talked to Dan Hurley for awhile. Dan said they knew Jermaine needed a year of development but that he would be good. He also said most bigs outside of the top 50 need that development.
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Harris didn’t play down low in high school. One of the transitions he had to make was to become a back to the basket player.

I was at a National Prep event last Jan and talked to Dan Hurley for awhile. Dan said they knew Jermaine needed a year of development but that he would be good. He also said most bigs outside of the top 50 need that development.
I consider this high school coaching malpractice to not have Harris play at all down low and develop those skills.
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Kudos to Austin Carroll who had the scout for Alabama. Nice early contribution for the new guy. Played Alabama a couple times at Arizona and also Buffalo.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Cox is ok with it. Fyi, Harris shot 40% from three his Sr year of HS.
From my observation he appears to be more of a line drive shooter from 3. Much more so than Dowtin who does this as well.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Any recruits last night?
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We had to set a team record for most straight away bank shots we made last night. Toppin and Cyril both had a couple, Jeff too I believe.

:lol:
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago We had to set a team record for most straight away bank shots we made last night. Toppin and Cyril both had a couple, Jeff too I believe.

:lol:
Did they call them? :)
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

#2- especially since no one can even open up a browser from their seat to access KB. 😂
Ram96
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ram96 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Harris played pretty well aside from fouling. We need his size and Tate is a great 6th man. He’s impressed me. Topin too.
Why is Harris taking threes? He looks so lost.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Any recruits last night?
My understanding is a few of the New England 21s.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Ram96 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Harris played pretty well aside from fouling. We need his size and Tate is a great 6th man. He’s impressed me. Topin too.
Why is Harris taking threes? He looks so lost.
I am hoping they will work on getting him in more pick and rolls where a switch is made, then post him up against an opposing guard.
He does well with his little jump hook against guys his size or smaller, but struggles against size down low.

This may be why they are trying to see if he can draw those matchups away from the hoop.
He must hit the three in practice regularly as Cox did not yank him for shooting them.
Start making the three at 33% or so and his game may open up a bit.
So, I don't have a problem with it …. yet.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Cox needs an attitude change. He needs to coach to continuous improvement and not just focus on what the team did well in the last game - win or lose. Some times you get away with sloppy play against inferior opponents - such play should never be acceptable. Cox needs to get this mindset into the heads of his players and evaluate each players performance against a consistently high standard. Don't let bad habits creep into their heads. If he is already doing this it isn't obvious to me in watching his in-game coaching and listening to his post-game comments. The defense in the second half of the Alabama game was not good and Cox needs to get on the team before the game gets close. I'm not looking to bury inferior opponents, play subs for more minutes while maintaining high expectation for their performance.
NCAAs or Bust!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago Cox needs an attitude change. He needs to coach to continuous improvement and not just focus on what the team did well in the last game - win or lose. Some times you get away with sloppy play against inferior opponents - such play should never be acceptable. Cox needs to get this mindset into the heads of his players and evaluate each players performance against a consistently high standard. Don't let bad habits creep into their heads. If he is already doing this it isn't obvious to me in watching his in-game coaching and listening to his post-game comments. The defense in the second half of the Alabama game was not good and Cox needs to get on the team before the game gets close. I'm not looking to bury inferior opponents, play subs for more minutes while maintaining high expectation for their performance.
After a win against a power conference opponent, this is like the most on-brand Rhody72 post ever.
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago Cox needs an attitude change. He needs to coach to continuous improvement and not just focus on what the team did well in the last game - win or lose. Some times you get away with sloppy play against inferior opponents - such play should never be acceptable. Cox needs to get this mindset into the heads of his players and evaluate each players performance against a consistently high standard. Don't let bad habits creep into their heads. If he is already doing this it isn't obvious to me in watching his in-game coaching and listening to his post-game comments. The defense in the second half of the Alabama game was not good and Cox needs to get on the team before the game gets close. I'm not looking to bury inferior opponents, play subs for more minutes while maintaining high expectation for their performance.
I’m sorry, this is one of the most ill-advised, misinformed takes I have come across on this board. And that’s saying a lot.

How do you even come up with something so seemingly far fetched? Are you in the huddles? Fly on the wall in “one on one conversations”? Do you sit in practices? Film room? Anything close?

Better yet, have you ever coached a group of high level athletes?

I’ll wait.

Is Cox a perfect coach? Not by a long shot. But you coach to your personnel. That is an forever moving stick.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Tjrams91 wrote: 4 years ago
I’m sorry, this is one of the most ill-advised, misinformed takes I have come across on this board. And that’s saying a lot.

How do you even come up with something so seemingly far fetched? Are you in the huddles? Fly on the wall in “one on one conversations”? Do you sit in practices? Film room? Anything close?

I’ll wait.

Is Cox a perfect coach? Not by a long shot. But you coach to your personnel. That is an forever moving stick.
Seeing as you've been here 9 months, you have a lot to learn.
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

I’ll wait.

I see. I want no parts of it. I’ll go back to my neutral corner.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

I’ll wait.

I see. I want no parts of it. I’ll go back to my neutral corner.
Just saying certain posters have their thing. We all know about it. It's not a big deal.