Asst. Coach Posting?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Asst. Coach Posting?

Unread post by adam914 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago July 1 was beginning of FY. They just posted Ty's job.
What's the state requirement on how long that needs to be posted before they can announce the hire?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago July 1 was beginning of FY. They just posted Ty's job.
What's the state requirement on how long that needs to be posted before they can announce the hire?
I don't think there is a requirement on how long it needs to be. Some vacancies are "until filled", some on the URI job board have posting dates that are about two weeks, some are longer. The closing date for the Assistant spot is 7/15.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ah ok, I thought maybe there was a minimum amount of time it had to be up before they could close it.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, if the search is for Ty's job, the staff is Sutton, Carroll and whomever gets Ty's job.....yuck.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

How can you tell it’s for Ty’s job?
“We will be good when we are good.”
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

If they just posted Ty’s job, whose job did they post earlier?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago How can you tell it’s for Ty’s job?
That's what Iggy said.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Because that's what it says in the posting:
Requisition ABC1234: Ty's Job
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago How can you tell it’s for Ty’s job?
That's what Iggy said.
I believe what Iggy says.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It does look like Ty’s position based on it requiring only 1 year experience as an assistant coach, DBO or DPD.
It also list recruiting as the first responsibility.
Interesting that the contract goes until April 30, 2020 with anticipated renewal. Maybe they are learning to avoid contracts that go until June 30th.

https://jobs.uri.edu/postings/6074
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhodyMadness072
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RhodyMadness072 »

2. Minimum of one year’s experience as an assistant coach, Director of Operations and/or Director of Player Development in Men’s basketball at the Division I collegiate level.

The #2 requirement makes it look like TJ is getting promoted. Thats basically his qualifications the past two years.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

And it's the only qualification I couldn't meet - have the rest of it nailed. That just seemed like a big one. Otherwise, I'd be over there....
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Is there a full coaching staff yet?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago Is there a full coaching staff yet?
Didn’t somebody give them until Monday?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You didn't get an interview?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

This is getting ridiculous. Seriously.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Prediction.....

Sutton, Carroll, and TJ.

Unless of course, Carroll is finally out....but no one seems to know.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
You didn't get an interview?
No, didn't apply....the experience requirements were just not realistic.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Prediction.....

Sutton, Carroll, and TJ.

Unless of course, Carroll is finally out....but no one seems to know.
Thoughts? You would be happy with that?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

No. I’d be thrilled for TJ but not sure only replacing Ty from last year’s staff is enough for me. I wanted to see turnover on the staff from about the midpoint of last season. I’d be disappointed not to get more than this.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sutton and TJ yes.

Carroll? What exactly does he add to the program?

If Thorr's hands are tied, then he [Carroll] is here another year or so.

The secrecy around this is ridiculous.

Again, the team's performance last season picked up right about the time Carroll left.

Coincidence, or not?

If Carroll was a problem, and he's back, then they all have a problem. And that would suck.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago No. I’d be thrilled for TJ but not sure only replacing Ty from last year’s staff is enough for me. I wanted to see turnover on the staff from about the midpoint of last season. I’d be disappointed not to get more than this.
Yeah, this staff situation is not giving me a feeling that the team is in place for next year. That's concerning for sure.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Carroll's lawyers are saying that he cannot be fired while on medical leave, then their hands could be tied a long time.

URI doesn't want to pay out big bucks if they were to lose in court. Not the first time.
Last edited by rambone 78 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I really don’t know if it’s fair to say that Carroll was the problem. I’ve seen people say that, and that TJ moving into an acting coach role turned the season around. Maybe it contributed, but I have a really hard time believing that kind of change in one assistant coaching position would make the kind of night and day difference we saw. I’m more willing to assume that the timing there was coincidental and some other stuff closer to the actual court played a bigger role. I’m also very leery of kicking Carroll while he’s down - I don’t know anything about the inner workings of the coaching staff so I cannot say who was serving Cox best and who wasn’t. But I do feel that, overall, Cox was not getting what he needed from his assistants and he would benefit from some turnover. I’d leave it to him to figure that out, but Carroll seems like an obvious candidate to be swapped out all other things being equal. I also feel for him and his family and would fully support/encourage the university to move him into a non-coaching role until he’s out of the woods with respect to his health.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sounds simple enough TP.....so what's taking so long?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

That I’m not the AD, I guess? Lol

I have no idea what is taking so long.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If they could have done what you were saying, I would have thought they would have done it by now.

What the problem is, is anyone's guess.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

If Carroll is cleared by his physicians, Coach Cox is welcoming him back with open arms. If he is not then he will not have a new contract extended to him and someone similar to him will be named. His presence is not essential right now. Everything else is in place and will be announced soon. I think the vast majority will be pleased with the outcome.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 5 years ago If Carroll is cleared by his physicians, Coach Cox is welcoming him back with open arms. If he is not then he will not have a new contract extended to him and someone similar to him will be named. His presence is not essential right now. Everything else is in place and will be announced soon. I think the vast majority will be pleased with the outcome.
-- Is TJ getting promoted or staying where he was?
-- If Carroll doesn't come back wouldn't the hiring pool be pretty thin?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well if CD is correct when he says most will be pleased, to me that means TJ is getting the assistant job.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Maybe Al is getting the other job.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TJ is likely moving up.
I don’t see Carroll returning.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TJ may be green, but I haven't seen many more players give the blood and guts on the court like he did. Give him a chance, you know he is going to work his ass off.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Al is not a recruiter.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

From what little I've heard, TJ's done a GREAT job as acting assistant coach.

You gotta start somewhere...why not here and now?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago TJ may be green, but I haven't seen many more players give the blood and guts on the court like he did. Give him a chance, you know he is going to work his ass off.

He gives his KEANEY BLUE BLOOD AND GUTS on the court!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago If Carroll's lawyers are saying that he cannot be fired while on medical leave, then their hands could be tied a long time.

URI doesn't want to pay out big bucks if they were to lose in court. Not the first time.
If that is the situation, URI and the state need to fire its "lawyers" Hard to believe this scenario does not happen a lot in the business world and it is resolved quickly.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Is Carroll back full time? He has been at practice and with recruits on campus.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

McRam wrote: 5 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago If Carroll's lawyers are saying that he cannot be fired while on medical leave, then their hands could be tied a long time.

If that is the situation, URI and the state need to fire its "lawyers" Hard to believe this scenario does not happen a lot in the business world and it is resolved quickly.
It is usually "resolved" by the business cutting a check, which is usually amenable to the party leaving the job. If you're a college basketball assistant, I could see where just keeping your job is the more valued outcome. (I have no clue if that's the case here, just offering an explanation for why it probably isn't as simple as paying out some cash.)
RhodyMadness072
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RhodyMadness072 »

Carroll is back with the team for workouts and recruits. A friend of mine whose son is at camp this week also told me he was an active participant in camp yesterday.
raminwarwick
Abdul Fox

Unread post by raminwarwick »

Could it be that Cox wants to try to get by this year with Carroll and replace him with someone he wants. That person may be a current asst. coach at a smaller school that really would have a hard time leaving at this late a date. At the end of this year, Cox could replace Carroll and hire the person he wants. This may solve the Medical/Lawyer problem many have talked about. If Carroll can't make it the whole season maybe Cox could bring in someone (AL?) at that time to do rest of this season.
This would make the hiring of the DOB important so maybe someone with AAU/Prep experience that would be thinking of getting in at the bottom of NCAA coaching instead of someone right out of college.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Seems the need to speculate about Carroll is over. He's back.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Not so fast people, hold your horses.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

For the sake of argument, is it possible John Carroll is not that bad of an assistant? I know we have quite a few recruiting gurus based on, I'm not sure what, how many stars, what teams recruit them or they have seen them and its their opinion (lol), mostly from our experts here that have only played basketball on xbox or coached cyo. I may be crazy but I trust David Cox with his knowledge, experience and judgement. Recruiting is an inexact science but I'll take his thoughts and beliefs more than anyone here, and that is also the case with his choices of his assistant coaches.

Also, fwiw, I am very happy to see John Carroll is healthy enough to resume coaching, regardless of the fact if he is a good assistant or not.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I've said this before, to me, Sutton and Carroll are the same person.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago I've said this before, to me, Sutton and Carroll are the same person.
You may be right. But is that a necessarily[media], a terrible thing? 1 year is a very small sample for anyone. I just do not get the attacks on these guys for the teams performance last year. Yes, we may have underachieved for the season, in the fans opinion, but is that
un usually the case after losing 4 seniors and having a staff overhaul?. [/media]
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote: 5 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago I've said this before, to me, Sutton and Carroll are the same person.
You may be right. But is that a necessarily[media], a terrible thing? 1 year is a very small sample for anyone. I just do not get the attacks on these guys for the teams performance last year. Yes, we may have underachieved for the season, in the fans opinion, but is that
un usually the case after losing 4 seniors and having a staff overhaul?. [/media]
I'd like two youngish coaches(50 or younger) out on the recruiting trail. I think that would take some pressure off of Cox to recruit so he can concentrate on other duties.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Cox hired Carroll and Sutton because he gave more weight to player development and scouting than recruiting. why would he want to dump Carroll after 1 year?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

The job posting closes on the 15th. No one will be officially hired until then.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, the posting is definitely for Ty's job.