The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Unread post by STC »

Surprised Luguentz Dort wasn’t drafted. I like his upside, I think he ends up in the league.
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Charlie Brown of St Joes didn't get drafted but signed a 2 way contact with Atlanta
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Christian Thompson in an interview for the New Orleans Advocate states he feels he was trapped in a box and was tired of being a glue guy. Wanted to do more...

The problem with that statement is that he had opportunities to do more and couldn’t make shots.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 298d6.html
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Christian Thompson in an interview for the New Orleans Advocate states he feels he was trapped in a box and was tired of being a glue guy. Wanted to do more...

The problem with that statement is that he had opportunities to do more and couldn’t make shots.

“I was a glue guy and nothing else,” Thompson said. “I wanted to go somewhere I could do everything I would like to do. I work too hard to be stuffed in a container.”

What BS.
David Cox gave Thompson every chance before pulling him from the starting line up. He was far more patient than I thought he should have been. Thompson missed wide open after wide open shot. Lost his role to freshman Martin but still got more than his share of playing time from David Cox.........and then Thompson disses his prior Coaching Staff???
Doesn’t surprise me
He could just keep his head high and talk of the future but he chooses to down the path of being critical of URI.
His playing time would have decreased more this year and he knew it
How many times last season I watched the back of his Jersey as his man blew past him?? I honestly thought he might have been injured it happened so often. But now he boasts of his defensive greatness.
Should have taken the high road in the interview but he didn’t

Good luck at Tulane. Glad he is freed from “the container” :roll: :roll: :roll:

The old saying “people living in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones ........” I could go on, best that he moved on
Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Maybe if he worked harder.....
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

79RhodyFan wrote: 5 years ago Charlie Brown of St Joes didn't get drafted but signed a 2 way contact with Atlanta
Interesting as former St Joe star player DeAndre Bembry has now played 3 years with Atlanta. Maybe Hawks saw things in Bembry that they think could provide upside potential in Charlie Brown.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t know if Christion has a future as an analyst based on his assessment of his role here and how he fit into it, but I’m not going to get mad at the guy for saying what he said. Doesn’t impact us at all. Hope he crushes it at Tulane.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

:D :D :D
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Maybe the way he was coached made him feel that way during the season which put him in his head?

But really, the fact is, he was never better than just a glue guy here.

He may get a chance to feel more important at Tulane, which could raise his confidence enough to where he plays better.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Horton's another kid who flew under the radar and now will end up someone good.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Grimes picks Houston as he departs Kansas. Excellent pick up for the Cougars as Grimes was rated the best transfer currently available. Big question with new rules is can he be immediately eligible?
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

giovanni wrote: 5 years ago
Wow huge late blow to Cleveland State.

Maybe if they were in the A-10 they wouldn't have transferred....
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

MAL transfers to Boston College. Wow
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

It's possible he could be referring to more than when Cox was coach. Hurley may not have thought he was going to be a big difference maker on the court either. It's hard to know for sure, but I don't blame him for transferring. I don't see his statement as a negative. He seems like he's being honest with how he felt. Let's be honest...even we know Dowtin, Cyril, & Russel are the players we think are the big guns on the team. It's not like we were out thinking Thompson was going to be the next Terrel or anything. His injury likely hurt his development a little as well, I would imagine. I wish him lots of success!
ramster wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Christian Thompson in an interview for the New Orleans Advocate states he feels he was trapped in a box and was tired of being a glue guy. Wanted to do more...

“I was a glue guy and nothing else,” Thompson said. “I wanted to go somewhere I could do everything I would like to do. I work too hard to be stuffed in a container.”

What BS.
David Cox gave Thompson every chance before pulling him from the starting line up. He was far more patient than I thought he should have been. Thompson missed wide open after wide open shot. Lost his role to freshman Martin but still got more than his share of playing time from David Cox.........and then Thompson disses his prior Coaching Staff???
Doesn’t surprise me
He could just keep his head high and talk of the future but he chooses to down the path of being critical of URI.
His playing time would have decreased more this year and he knew it
How many times last season I watched the back of his Jersey as his man blew past him?? I honestly thought he might have been injured it happened so often. But now he boasts of his defensive greatness.
Should have taken the high road in the interview but he didn’t

Good luck at Tulane. Glad he is freed from “the container” :roll: :roll: :roll:

The old saying “people living in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones ........” I could go on, best that he moved on
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hate to see this in today’s college game where players leave schools after their freshman year. Now see players who make their conference All Rookie Team only to reopen their recruiting.
The idea of finding undiscovered talents becomes less important because then they get poached after year 1

Just seeing Eric Musselmans name associated with this Freshman from Delaware............Same way he built Nevada, now at Arkansas
But if the rules allow it then can’t blame him.

By Adam Zagoria
Transferring Delaware guard Ithiel Horton will make a decision “soon” after taking an unofficial visit to Pittsburgh and an official visit to Arkansas, he told ZAGSBLOG.
“[In the] next week and a half,” Horton said Wednesday after visiting both schools.
The 6-foot-3 Horton averaged 13.2 points and 3.1 rebounds as a freshman at Delaware. He will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Pittsburgh is looking to up its talent level in the ACC under second-year coach Jeff Capel.
“It’s a great city with a rich culture,” he said of Pittsburgh. “Legendary coach Jeff Capel is indeed building something great up there.”
New Arkansas coach Eric Musselman built his Nevada team into a national power largely through transfers.
“It’s a beautiful campus,” Horton said. “The facilities and the coaching staff are wonderful and they have an extremely high-level coach.”

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/07/03/del ... t-arkansas
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

This kind of stuff will turn the non P5 and big boys into farm teams.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Musselman is pure sleaze.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago This kind of stuff will turn the non P5 and big boys into farm teams.
Yep. It’s already happening.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Does the statement that he has three years of eligibility remaining mean that he is immediately eligible? And if he is, why?
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago This kind of stuff will turn the non P5 and big boys into farm teams.
Yep. It’s already happening.
College players want to play in the NCAA Tournament. Teams that have unproven tournament resumes are likely to see more attrition than teams that do compete nearly annually for the tournament, or have a coach with that pedigree. Unfortunately, teams that haven't made the tournament in 15 years are more likely to face that attrition. Teams like URI with a steady coaching structure and recent A10 success are more likely to retain their talented players even though they aren't in a conference you would deem "big boys." If the conferences regain the level of consistency they had years before and don't limp through the OOC and hit conference play battered and beaten by any meaningful foe, players are more likely to remain committed because they see that they are going to play 5-7 strong teams during conference play and have a good crack of making the tournament. Players don't want to be in a place where they feel like they need to win 12 games in a row to get an at-large bid.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

College players want:
1) To play professionally somewhere
2) Play in the NCAA Tournament
3) Play on a consistently winning team/win their league

If you are playing for Delaware and have a very good Fr year, you should look to transfer. It improves your possibility to play professionally.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nobody disagreeing with that 83
But that is not the way it used to be
Tough news to hear being a Delaware fan, or a Fordham losing their All Freshman PG.
It's the trend that is bothersome
Even then NCAA is recognizing it as they just implemented tougher criteria for immediate eligibility - they did not do that to encourage more Freshmen transferring, but to have less

You also have players going the other way, away from teams that can make the NCAA, but they are not getting the playing time.

The College Game is suffering from the:
1)1 and done
2) HS Players going overseas and not even considering College at all (The likely future for some of the Top 30 Ranked HS Players)
3) Grad Transfer made much easier than in the past - far more than in the past
4) Transfers made immediately eligible much more easily and not having to sit out a year at all
5) Transfers ever increasing every year

Not good for the game overall
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago College players want:
1) To play professionally somewhere
2) Play in the NCAA Tournament
3) Play on a consistently winning team/win their league

If you are playing for Delaware and have a very good Fr year, you should look to transfer. It improves your possibility to play professionally.
How are your criteria any different from 3 years ago? 5 years ago? 20 years ago?

Transferring is running at levels never before seen and increasing every year
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

It’s probably a function of the millennial mindset( Nano second attention span, need for immediate gratification, unrealistic sense of entitlement )In combination with the AAU/Prep School culture of moving to and from multiple schools and teams before they leave high school.
The table has been tilted for the power fives and
Then add in the visibility of it all due to the internet and you have the perfect storm.

It will continue to increase unless the NCAA ratchet’s it down to make movement more difficult not less !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago It’s probably a function of the millennial mindset( Nano second attention span, need for immediate gratification, unrealistic sense of entitlement )In combination with the AAU/Prep School culture of moving to and from multiple schools and teams before they leave high school.
The table has been tilted for the power fives and
Then add in the visibility of it all due to the internet and you have the perfect storm.

It will continue to increase unless the NCAA ratchet’s it down to make movement more difficult not less !
agree
and throw in the Basketball Factory schools such as Findlay Prep that recruits their players Nationwide among others like Mansanutten, Oak Hill Academy, Monteverde, etc.
And the NBA where Free Agency runs rampant. These kids see these NBA Players changing teams to play with friends, trying to build an NBA Championship Team during the Off Season like the Lakers are now, making unbelievable money, kids see that everyday
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

There are more pro basketball opportunities around the world.
There is more money in pro basketball.
There are more influences on these players starting at 13 years old. So many people advising them what to do (in their best interest) that aren’t part of the college program.
There are more coaching changes than there use to be.
It is easier to transfer.
The success of some transfers from lower level schools with P5s give players from the low level schools more confidence
P5/BE schools interest in these players. 10 years ago would a national championship team (Nova) recruit a transfer from Fordham.
Programs like Nevada becoming an Elite 8 as Transfer U
The Grad Transfer rule.

If I spent time, I could probably come up with more.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Look at how many recruits play at multiple high schools. They switch all the time because their Influencers tell them it’s best for them. So much has changed. Look at all the prep school teams popping up. Woodstock Academy had no team 3 years ago. Last year they had two teams with a total of 22 players. Mekhi Long played at three different high schools in his last three years.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

As a fan of a particular program, I can see the need for stricter transfer rules - if the rules are relaxed or even if they stay the same and the trend continues in the direction it has been going, it will be nearly impossible for most programs to build a winning team and it will therefore be impossible for huge amounts of college basketball fans to stay invested, which could kill the sport.

On the other hand, as someone who generally cares about fairness and equitable treatment of labor, I can see the argument for eliminating transfer rules altogether - it isn’t necessarily fair to players, who aren’t even getting paid and are collectively producing huge revenues, that they can’t change schools like normal students can and can essentially be held against their will by a particular program. Increasing transfer penalties would exacerbate this problem.

There is an obvious tension here, and too few people acknowledge it. My solution as I’ve said before is to start sharing revenue with players, evenly across the board no matter who they play for or how much revenue they produce. It’s not a perfectly fair solution, at least to the best players at the biggest schools, but it is fairer and could preserve the current system where smaller schools still have some semblance of a chance.

Too many here are looking at this only as a fan of a particular program or of the sport in general and not taking the other side of the coin into account. Of course you can take whatever view you want, but you’re unlikely to really understand the problem in a meaningful way if that is how you choose to look at it.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I disagree. While I certainly do not want to eliminate the ability to transfer, I do think kids should incur a penalty.
They should not get an additional benefit that other students do not get.

If you are a non-athlete and transfer, most schools typically do not accept all of your credits from the previous school.
This usually results in a student being 'behind' and graduating late - the equivalent of a sit year in basketball.

Do we really want to see a kid play for four colleges in four years?
If there are no transfer penalties at all, the mid majors will just become the P5's G League.
We are already seeing this and no penalty will make it much, much worse.

The NCAA should put a rule in place to limit coaching changes, however - maybe with the same one year sit penalty or a sizable mandatory buyout.
This may slow the transfer rate as coaching changes are the main reason kids cite for transferring.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago I disagree. While I certainly do not want to eliminate the ability to transfer, I do think kids should incur a penalty.

If you are a non-athlete and transfer, most schools typically do not accept all of your credits from the previous school.
This usually results in a student being 'behind' and graduating late - the equivalent of a sit year in basketball.

If there are no transfer penalties at all, the mid majors will just become the P5's G League.

The NCAA should put a rule in place to limit coaching changes, however - maybe with the same one year sit penalty or a sizable mandatory buyout.
This may slow the transfer rate as coaching changes are the main reason kids cite for transferring.
The only to figure out the impact of this change would be by someone analyzing the data of the types of players who transferred 10 years ago and the types of players who transferred today.

One thing I will say, the grad transfer has definitely evolved the game, no two questions about it. I'm all for reworking that rule, in that for someone to qualify as a grad transfer, they need to have a minimum GPA (which I would say is 3.0) to be eligible for that year of eligibility at a new institution.

However with regards to sitting transfers, yes there are definitely guys who transfer due to coaching change or transfer to play up, but that existed 10 years ago. Do more do it now? Perhaps.

But I think the real issue is players not accepting their role, and wanting to move around and find more opportunity. The average college team loses 2.5 players per year. On a normal team without coaching changes, those are often bottom of the rotation/roster players. I feel like now more than ever, guys are not willing to fight to develop, but would rather jump ship to an easier opportunity. I blame that considerably more for the transfer epidemic.

You'd have to think about it -- As a URI fan, has URI lost many players of major consequence during the Hurley/Cox era, or has it been mostly bottom-level guys that maybe you would have liked here but weren't dying about losing?

I'm all for trying to restrict the grad transfer loophole, but also accommodating tighter restrictions there by saying that in the event of any coaching change (hiring or firing), players have a window where they can transfer without penalty. You have to give a little to get a little.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago I disagree. While I certainly do not want to eliminate the ability to transfer, I do think kids should incur a penalty.

I assume this was in response to my post, in which case I don’t think we actually disagree - at least with respect to restrictions on player movement. I guess I didn’t expressly connect all the dots in my post, so maybe that is the source of confusion. To clarify:

- too much transferring, like the proposal that was floated last year that would eliminate all transfer penalties and essentially make every college basketball player a free agent every year, would kill college basketball as it currently exists. I am and have always been totally opposed to that.

- on the other hand, the current deal is pretty unfair to players who have less freedom of movement than an average student, while generating a ton of revenue that they do not get a piece of directly.

- my solution to try to bridge these two things, which are directly at odds, would be to compensate the players with some share of the revenue and in return the players would agree to some restriction of movement - similar or perhaps slightly more restrictive than what it is now.

I know that people who view this only from the players’ perspectives think that is bullshit and they should get a revenue cut AND unrestricted movement. And I know that people who view this only from the teams/schools’ perspective think players shouldn’t be compensated at all, that they should be happy to get their tuition, room and board covered AND they should have their movement heavily restricted. I think any realistic solution will have to treat the players fairly by allowing them to participate in the revenue sharing and treat the schools/programs/fans fairly by not turning the sport into a completely lawless free-for-all, where a small number of schools are competitive every year and everyone else’s best possible outcome is watching a guy that used to play for them do well on a big stage for another team later in their career.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Guessing this isn't exactly what he had planned...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Probably figured he could do better than DePaul......
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I kind of feel bad for the guy. Maybe it’s his own doing, maybe it’s bad advice from those around him, but that’s a rough go for a talented player.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Probably figured he could do better than DePaul......
So now he transfers again and sits another year. Yeah, he is really doing better.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Rumor is he’s a bad clubhouse guy. Difficult to acclimate yourself to schools if you don’t mesh with the rest of the team. Hope things work out for the kid though.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers