The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Would be disappointed with anything less than 5-0 against them next year.

We really need to stop losing to Fordham every other year.

Theyve won 2 of the last three games against us at the Ryan center.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago If the A10 has any clue what they’re doing, those teams will all play each other twice, and they will all be quarantined from the expected top handful of teams.
I'm sure we'll end up with at least UMass out of those teams as one our home and home opponents. At least we haven't had Fordham as one of them lately. I was convinced for a while that the conference was trying to make that a rivalry
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago They were 6-12 in conference and have been trending down, they're not some team on the verge. They weren't going to the tournament next year

They havent seemed on the verge the last few times they have suddenly made the tournament.

They had talent, just a lot of injuries.

If they had everyone back healthy plus their incoming freshman, I would have expected them to make a push for the dance.

They were expected to this year, but got the injury bug again.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The league has been much better at trying to match up the top teams and avoid doubling up a Tier 1 team with a bunch of Tier 3 teams. Our conference schedule last year is a testament to that where we played Dayton, VCU and Davidson twice. Given this year it looks like it will be a case of the haves and have nots I hope they do the same. There will be 6-7 good to very good teams IMO so plenty of good games to go around.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Andddddd....Charlie Brown from St. Joe's just declared for the NBA Draft. Right now UMass and St Joe's are competing for the biggest roster overhaul from 1 season to the next. They both will be bad, bad, bad next year. A10 won't have much of a middle, it will be top and bottom heavy.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Andddddd....Charlie Brown from St. Joe's just declared for the NBA Draft. Right now UMass and St Joe's are competing for the biggest roster overhaul from 1 season to the next. They both will be bad, bad, bad next year. A10 won't have much of a middle, it will be top and bottom heavy.
The interesting thing is usually an overhaul happens with a HC change. UMass is overhauling going into McCall’s 3rd year.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Quinerly is leaving Villanova.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago It's really funny to see the Friar board salivate over a transfer from a conference they trash repeatedly. They love transfers from A10 cellar dwellers, first Jackson (Mason) and now Pipkins (Umass).
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This would be a guy to get
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago It's really funny to see the Friar board salivate over a transfer from a conference they trash repeatedly. They love transfers from A10 cellar dwellers, first Jackson (Mason) and now Pipkins (Umass).
Very good Point Guard and only a Freshman, Could have argued he should have been all A10 Freshman Team in lieu of Nick Honor of Fordham or Sincere Carry of Duquesne. Given a choice of the 3 I would take Bynum for the full 4 years.
Many good schools are chasing Bynum now.

Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Quinerly is leaving Villanova.
Kind of surprising he lasted out the season, and also a bit surprising it took him this long to announce leaving. Way under performed to expectations.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Kind of surprising he lasted out the season, and also a bit surprising it took him this long to announce leaving. Way under performed to expectations.
And tweeted his displeasure on lack of playing time. Around here, we call that a Ryan Preston.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhodeIslandBorn
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by RhodeIslandBorn »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago
And tweeted his displeasure on lack of playing time. Around here, we call that a Ryan Preston.
Doubt he steps down program wise, even though I don't believe he will even get playing time at any other big program. Nova was young and inexperienced and he barely saw the floor.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Andddddd....Charlie Brown from St. Joe's just declared for the NBA Draft. Right now UMass and St Joe's are competing for the biggest roster overhaul from 1 season to the next. They both will be bad, bad, bad next year. A10 won't have much of a middle, it will be top and bottom heavy.
St Josephs only has 5 players on scholarship at this point in time
UMASS has only 1 scholarship available right now although many expect Jonathan Laurent to transfer making a 2nd scholarship available
There are a number of names being bantered about for the 1 available scholarship
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

St Josephs only has 5 players on scholarship at this point in time
URI 2012-13, 2.0 (Malesevic, Malone, Brooks, Buchanan, Powell)

Long climb ahead for the Hawks.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Commits continue to get releases as the coaching changes happen.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Those Lawsons get around...
A return to Memphis would make for an entertaining story.

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
Absolutely disgraceful and surprise surprise, Martelli is involved. The way people on this board defended him and acted like he deserved better was a joke. A noted scumbag got treated like a scumbag. Call it karma, call it justice, but for once Martelli got exactly what he had coming
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
Absolutely disgraceful and surprise surprise, Martelli is involved. The way people on this board defended him and acted like he deserved better was a joke. A noted scumbag got treated like a scumbag. Call it karma, call it justice, but for once Martelli got exactly what he had coming
It always struck me odd that Head Coaches were always frowned upon for not releasing a player. The NCAA allowed Schools to not release players. But the general rule among the basketball fraternity and the general fan population was they should release them. So Martelli did not allow a player his release in 2011 for Gradiate school. Not sure who the player was or if it matters but there were other HCs that refused to sign releases also, not just Martelli. But bottom line it always bothered me the rule was there but you really weren’t supposed to follow it according to the law of public opinion. NCAA then removed the release requirement finally ——- but now they want to tighten it back up again because of the huge increase in Grad Transfers.
NCAA can’t make up its mind but my guess is soon the age limit will be gone and 1 and done will be greatly diminished. Players will skip college if they can go direct to NBA, Development League, etc.

Transferring and sitting out a year will likely go the way of the dinosaur too.......immediate eligibility. Players and Lawyers will sue

Another rule that makes no sense to me is not allowing change of schools within Conference or requiring two years to sit out - varies by conference. NCAA must keep their lawyers pretty busy,

Sell said that the committee surveyed athletic directors, faculty representatives, senior woman administrators, coaches and athletes over 18 months. Still, the fingerprints of basketball coaches in the working group’s recommendation were not hard to miss. The lone men’s basketball voice on the committee was St. Joseph’s Coach Phil Martelli, who in a widely publicized 2011 case blocked one of his graduating players from transferring by refusing to sign a release. Partially as a result of that case, releases are no longer required. (Martelli, who was fired by St. Joseph’s last month, declined to comment through a university spokesman.)
The rule itself seems to have come straight from the mouth of Kentucky Coach John Calipari, who suggested to ESPN in 2016 — long before the committee began its work — that “if the kid gets his grad degree in one year, fine; if he doesn’t, you’ve got to use the scholarship for two years.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Will be interesting if the one and done rule is gone.

The top HS and prep players will skip college like ramster said.

However schools like Duke will still get the best available players.

But imo this will hurt the college game. Star power is everything nowadays.

Of course as it is now, the one and done rule is a joke anyway when it comes to going to school....does anybody think Zion actually goes to classes?

School for him is just a bus stop on the way to the NBA.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

and the Grad School thing is mostly a joke too. For most it's not the Grad School as such but an opportunity to get re-recruited based on one's performance at their current school to move up to a P5 and get more exposure. Now they are going to tighten up the Grad School process and let fewer do this.
It's all a mess.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The grad school transfer situation was like the single thing that the NCAA has gotten right in the last half century, and so obviously they are focusing their attention on undoing that rather than fixing all of the broken elements of their system. Typical.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 5 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago What is going on at UKMC?

Capture.PNG
Their best player, Xavier Bishop, is also transferring, announced the day before. So 9 players are transferring.
https://247sports.com/Article/College-b ... 130900424/
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Wabissa Bede is also transferring. Now that Buzz left, let the exodus begin.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Get us some Chris Clarke!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

He is a beast. I want him on my team.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago
He is a beast. I want him on my team.

Oh hell yeah, if he came here he would probably be the best player on the team and we are DEFINITELY dancing.

He isnt the most flashy guy but he can do it all.
He and Cyril would be aggressive as hell together.

He will likely just end up at Kemtucky or something and be lame....
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Which team has seen a revolving door for players more often in recent seasons - UMass or Duquesne? Seems to be a constant inflow and outflow of transfers at both places.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Too bad for Duquesne. They could have been good with Eric William's Jr.

I have faith in Dambrot, but I'm sure that puts a damper on things.

He could go just about anywhere.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Williams Lost his starting spot midway through last season. Dambrot basically sat him on the bench. He later earned his starting spot back.

3 players announced departing today and a 4th likely later this week
2 players for 2019-20 committed today with another player likely to commit this week

These two articles explain all the changes and updates

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2019/04 ... wo-guards/

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2019/04 ... asketball/
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Interesting wording. I wonder if the AD is usually this open. Is he encouraging them to transfer?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It sucks that the A10 is penalized for taking an A10 transfer. I realize they don’t want pouching but a lot of good players walk and the top A10 teams just have to
pass on them.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Obviously.

Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago Obviously.

I’m surprised he’s transferring this early, thought he would’ve waited another year or two
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Fordham loses another good one.
Slava Ukraini!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Hard to blame the kid for wanting out of there! Wonder what level he'll end up at, he put up some decent numbers but also shot the ball a ton.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Surprised about Sean Mobley.

I mean he is good, but I dont know if he is any level better than VCU good.

Fordham has lost basically all impact players ever.

Should have never let go of Derek Wittenberg.

Chris Gaston was the last good player to stay.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Gotta love reading PC fans gush over undersized PGs from A10 doormats...now comparing St Joe's Bynum to Tremont Waters simply because they are in the consideration set. I do give some of them credit when they say "i've never watched him play" bc as we all know the majority of PC fans aren't actual basketball fans, they watch PC and maybe some BE and that's where their frame of reference ends.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Gotta love reading PC fans gush over undersized PGs from A10 doormats...now comparing St Joe's Bynum to Tremont Waters simply because they are in the consideration set. I do give some of them credit when they say "i've never watched him play" bc as we all know the majority of PC fans aren't actual basketball fans, they watch PC and maybe some BE and that's where their frame of reference ends.
I like Bynum but he is only 5'8" and as for Pipkins, who is only 5'10", I would not have wanted him at URI, so going to PC does not phase me at all, in fact it's good from my vantage point.
I thought several years ago that the Big East would trend downwards once the teams bolted for the Big 10, ACC, AAC, etc and we saw that drop from #2 to #5 this year. They could drop even further it the AAC continues it's steady climb.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Gotta love reading PC fans gush over undersized PGs from A10 doormats...now comparing St Joe's Bynum to Tremont Waters simply because they are in the consideration set. I do give some of them credit when they say "i've never watched him play" bc as we all know the majority of PC fans aren't actual basketball fans, they watch PC and maybe some BE and that's where their frame of reference ends.
I like Bynum but he is only 5'8" and as for Pipkins, who is only 5'10", I would not have wanted him at URI, so going to PC does not phase me at all, in fact it's good from my vantage point.
I thought several years ago that the Big East would trend downwards once the teams bolted for the Big 10, ACC, AAC, etc and we saw that drop from #2 to #5 this year. They could drop even further it the AAC continues it's steady climb.
PC does not have a true PG and desperately need one. Pipkins was the right play for the team giving them a potential solid PG while they search for/develop the next one. Bynum would be a good pickup, who cares what team he played for?

As for the conference, the conference had a bad year by its standards. But most preseason rankings have 3 BIg East Top 15 teams plus two more right on the outside of the top 25. ESPN was probably the most aggressive predicting two Top 5 Big East teams. So it clearly was a blip unless you only judge things in one year cycles. Every Big East team should be better next year with the exception of St. John’s.