Games of Interest - Post Season Play

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Games of Interest - Post Season Play

Post by rambone 78 »

First the NFL issue with the PI not called, now the NCAA gets in on the act.

Huge high profile screwups on non reviewable calls.

The Saints were robbed, now the Tigers.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Post by wpbrown8267 »

If Texas tech wins tonight the national championship will be in the forties...exciting! (Sarcasm)
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Post by eli#10 »

Good thing that did not happen to us with yours truly at the game. I would have been looking for the refs and I would have wound up in stripes in some sort of jail. As much as I detest Bruce Pearl and Auburn it is a travesty.
This has not been a good year in end of game situations for the refs.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Post by PeterRamTime »

The madness continues.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Post by bigappleram »

Seeing what a great shot blocker can do to impact a game with Texas Tech. Owens is a beast. Not saying Carrigan is that type of player, but a player like Owens makes the entire defense better just by standing there.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Post by Billyboy78 »

We recruited Owens back in the day, if I recall.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Post by TruePoint »

Cool that Beard was a student manager for Penders at Texas.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Post by ramster »

Texas Tech vs Virginia for the National Championship!!

Love the Red Raiders relentless defense.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Seeing what a great shot blocker can do to impact a game with Texas Tech. Owens is a beast. Not saying Carrigan is that type of player, but a player like Owens makes the entire defense better just by standing there.
Seeing what two Grad Transfers can do in Mooney and Owens.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Post by Rhody83 »

The championship game should be Auburn vs Texas Tech.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Post by TruePoint »

I haven’t been as happy to see someone lose as I am right now about Izzo losing in I don’t know how long. So happy that unhinged nutjob and all the scum that have come thru that program and stuck their necks out for him the last few weeks can’t celebrate anything.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Post by ramster »

Virginia is favored by 1 point over Texas Tech for Monday Night
reef
Frank Keaney

Post by reef »

Great games looked like UVA had it wrapped up by 10 with 5 minutes then Auburn comes storming back to grab lead

I thought there was a foul on that 3 point shot you just can’t make contact there should know better

Texas TExh is the real deal . Chris Beard was the Unlv coach for all of 2 weeks before TT scooper him up
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Post by rambone 78 »

And here we have another team that shouldn't be in a championship game.

The guy from Virginia clearly double dribbled and no call.

I think TT will win it though.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Post by Billyboy78 »

I hope Owens can play tomorrow night. I'm guessing that ankle is pretty swollen this morning.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Post by theblueram »

Wow. I turned the VA game off right after he missed the final shot. Thought Auburn had won it.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Virginia is favored by 1 point over Texas Tech for Monday Night
That's also the over-under.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Post by ATPTourFan »

Beat me to it, Red.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Post by ramster »

The Baylor Notre Dame National Championship Women’s game last night was great. Fantastic job by Baylor to hold on despite injury to Cox.

Tonight’s National Championship will be interesting pairing up two outstanding defensive teams
Texas Tech held Michigan State to a season low in points scored of 51 - well below Michigan States previous low of 62 points @ Indiana and also home vs Ohio State.
Michigan State also hit a season low in FG% with only 31.9% - far below their previous low of 38.2% vs Ohio State on their own home court.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Post by steviep123 »

I was only half paying attention when Cox got hurt. I thought there was 2 minutes left in the game, not the 3rd quarter. When I looked again I was surprised to see the game was not only still going, but down to a 2 point game. At first, I was like, "How did Notre Dame cut the 12 point lead to 2 in less than 2 minutes?" Then I remembered the women's game was 4 quarters, not 2 halves. Whoops.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Post by mjg13x »

Let's go Tech!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Post by DC_Rams »

Fun fact....Texas Tech did make an offer to Marial Mading. Chew on that....
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Fun fact....Texas Tech did make an offer to Marial Mading. Chew on that....
Just for some perspective on offers. On 247 Sports Texas Tech has made offers to 52 recruits in class of ‘19 and Mading is not on the list. Rivals site does show a Texas Tech offer for Mading.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Fun fact....Texas Tech did make an offer to Marial Mading. Chew on that....
Just for some perspective on offers. On 247 Sports Texas Tech has made offers to 52 recruits in class of ‘19 and Mading is not on the list. Rivals site does show a Texas Tech offer for Mading.
Mading himself said he was offered. It’s no conspiracy.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Post by adam914 »

I expect him to win us a National Championship soon then!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Post by DC_Rams »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago I expect him to win us a National Championship soon then!
Exactly! :lol:
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
My point was that Texas Tech made at least 53 offers (52 listed on 247 plus others like Mading).
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

My point was that Texas Tech made at least 53 offers (52 listed on 247 plus others like Mading).
They offered me, too. But, when I told them I was work-at-home and not willing to move to TX, they withdrew their offer.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Post by ramster »

How the heck was that not a tie up at the 5:45 mark? Had to be. Should have been a jump ball, then Virginia gets it down low and Owens picks up his 5th foul.
Virginia playing well but I’d love to see Texas Tech beat them.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Post by TruePoint »

Let’s gooooooooo

Tech!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Post by PeterRamTime »

OT

Wowwwwww
ramster
Frank Keaney

Post by ramster »

Refs are too slow with the whistle on possible tied up balls. Lucky someone didn’t get badly hurt when guy hit his head on the floor. Also too slow with the whistle for some foul calls.

Overtime now.
Great game. Has been a great NCAA Tournament.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Post by ramster »

A shame Texas Tech doesn’t win this. Feels like the refs and announcers lean towards Virginia. I’m sure I’m wrong but it feels that way.
Crucial call reversal when ball got polled away from Moretti and after many replays they reversed the call saying ball touched Moretti’s finger last. That call gets called as off the guy who polked the ball out of bounds a million times out of a million times just as it was on the floor but replay somehow gets the call changed. Maybe the right call but it only gets Calle with replay that way.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Post by TruePoint »

I’m happy for Virginia after what they went thru last year, but I feel like TT got hosed. Those tipped ball out of bounds plays are called one way for 38 minutes (and for 100 years before replay), and then they change it at the end of games. The UVA kid knocked it out of bounds. That it technically touched the TT players pinky 0.001 seconds after the UVA player’s hand left the ball didn’t change anything about what happened. I feel like they need to make that non-reviewable if they can’t find a fair way to legislate that concept into the rule.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Post by Rhody83 »

I wanted TT. Just felt like Virginia should’ve lost to Purdue and Auburn.
They went to the replay on several occasions and all but the last one went TT’s way. The others could have gone against them. It seemed fair.
In the end Virginia hit the big shots. TT went too much one on one in OT after they got the initial lead. Great game. Particularly the second half and end of regulation.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Post by PeterRamTime »

Great end to a really fantastic tournament.

Especially after the sweet 16 on.

You have to respect what Tony Bennett has done at Virginia.

They do things the right way.

It was a victory for college basketball for either of these teams to win this.

I love it.

Cant help, but imagine how unbelievable it would be for us to get there some day.... I believe.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I’m happy for Virginia after what they went thru last year, but I feel like TT got hosed. Those tipped ball out of bounds plays are called one way for 38 minutes (and for 100 years before replay), and then they change it at the end of games. The UVA kid knocked it out of bounds. That it technically touched the TT players pinky 0.001 seconds after the UVA player’s hand left the ball didn’t change anything about what happened. I feel like they need to make that non-reviewable if they can’t find a fair way to legislate that concept into the rule.
Exactly.
The defensive guy polked the ball, nobody is going to call that off Moretti, and even with replay it’s not conclusive. But it got reversed.......if you are going to do that replay all plays during the game.

On Texas Tech Message Board they show the picture where Moretti was fouled, with the Virginia players hand clearly grabbing his arm just prior to the guy polking the ball loose. So we can reverse a call on a microscopic foul and Moretti got his arm grabbed a second before.

I felt the whistles were slow on many plays and several tied up balls were not called or called very late.

Great game though, but not the refs best night. Defense from both teams is incredibly intensive. Defense put these two teams here ahead of all others.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Post by TruePoint »

I thought my old AAU coach Mike Stephens reffed a good game overall, as opposed to the last one he did (UNC/Gonzaga). But the charge call on Culver (I think) where was in the air before the UVA defender slid under him and the tipped ball out of bounds reversal were both frustrating to me as a more-or-less neutral fan watching (I did want TT to win but it’s not like I ever rooted for them in my life before tonight and don’t really care that they lost).
reef
Frank Keaney

Post by reef »

I agree with Ramster and TP about that overturned call

You can’t overturn there it wasn’t conclusive at all and changed the whole complexion of the game Tech would have had the ball down 2
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Post by NC_Ram »

What an amazing recovery for UVA. I was in Charlotte last year and they were flat out smoked by UMBC.

In addition to the pound puppies upsetting UVA, I got to see PC get blasted and UNC (85% of the arena) get upset. Ahh memories ...