The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That plus if we bring in another guard.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago That plus if we bring in another guard.
If we bring in another quality guard we could be 10 or 11 deep that will fun be fun to watch.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Madding is really the wildcard here. If he gets significant playing time that will change everything. Will he be at three or a four? If so, how does Harris and Walker fit in. What about Tate. Then you have Long as well. Who plays the three? Martin, Thompson, Tate, Long, Madding? That will be a log jam. Something will have to give. It may be a nice problem to have. Sorry to go away from the subject of the thread but it was just kind of stream of consciousness.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I've heard that Mading is an amazing 3 pt. shooter, at least in practice.

With his height, at the 3 who could contest his shot if he can get open consistently?

Talk about a wild card. A 6'10" guy who can shoot from deep at 40% or so.....game changer.

Would open up the inside big time...and wouldn't need Fatts to shoot many 3's.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Does anyone know what percentage Madding shot the 3 in HS or AAU?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I would highly doubt Mading contributes anything next year. Tertsea should be exhibit A in the case of it's not only about size. Draining threes pregame or in practice with no defense and no pressure is not the same as in a game, and beyond shooting there are multiple other factors in being ready to contribute (defense, ball handling, awareness, etc).

I wouldn't get caught up in nomenclature about 2s or 3s, what I would guess they want from Martin is the ball in his hands more. That is certainly a part of his game he should be focused on in off season. We need more than 2 players that can create their own shot off the dribble, you are not hard to guard when the whole gym knows only Jeff and Fatts can make their own offense.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

If Mading is that kind of a shooter we will see a lot of Fatts and Jeff taking it to the hoop and dishing it out to him. That type of play will create great spacing and the opportunity for a lot of other offensive plays.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

All going to depend on how far and fast he develops......getting here early is a big advantage, especially for a big.

Hopefully he ends up a huge steal for us.

BAR is right in that it's a big adjustment from HS to college...the speed and physicality is totally different.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, shooting threes pre-game with no defense is nothing like it is in a game. I'm the one who watched him shooting. And I agree that it could be totally different in a game. But my observation is that his shot is so smooth and effortless, even going out to about 25 feet. He was hitting almost every shot. I think I remember that he took about 100 of them, many very deep, and hit about 90 of them. He has a beautiful stroke. Remember, he was a guard until he shot up. . He will have to put on some weight and get stronger so he doesn't get pushed around under the basket. Eventually, I think he will be a weapon for us. We'll see how long it takes for that to happen.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago I would highly doubt Mading contributes anything next year. Tertsea should be exhibit A in the case of it's not only about size. Draining threes pregame or in practice with no defense and no pressure is not the same as in a game, and beyond shooting there are multiple other factors in being ready to contribute (defense, ball handling, awareness, etc).

I wouldn't get caught up in nomenclature about 2s or 3s, what I would guess they want from Martin is the ball in his hands more. That is certainly a part of his game he should be focused on in off season. We need more than 2 players that can create their own shot off the dribble, you are not hard to guard when the whole gym knows only Jeff and Fatts can make their own offense.

I'd also like us to draw some plays through Tate.

He can shoot dribble and pass. I think hes a better passer.

Tate and Martin have a lot to give.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I admit it, I laughed-

Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

This is the kid Ty was watching last week....
Screenshot_20190324-091625.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Via Mat Shelton Eide (VCU insider?)

Prediction (based on fact): Rhode Island will land an extremely talented point guard in the very near future that I wish was headed to VCU.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Wish we had some “insiders” to maybe shed some more light on that. I kind of kid, but mostly what we get are fans that are close to the program reporting stuff out when they randomly come across some info on a one-off basis; nobody that draws a paycheck to report on URI ever reports something out that wasn’t first transcribed in a press release from the school. I respect those guys’ work, but it would be cool if we had a rumor-mill element to our media contingent. It’s part of what makes college sports fun to follow.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Let's hope that guy is right!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago I would highly doubt Mading contributes anything next year. Tertsea should be exhibit A in the case of it's not only about size. Draining threes pregame or in practice with no defense and no pressure is not the same as in a game, and beyond shooting there are multiple other factors in being ready to contribute (defense, ball handling, awareness, etc).

I agree completely. Anyone that is counting on Madung is going to be severely disappointed next year. When guys like Harris have trouble adjusting one can only imagine the issues Mading will have. This isn’t a game of around the world.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

http://www.mdjuco.org/sports/mbkb/2018- ... elewisw5zk

More detail on Louis.

Good shooter. Over 40% from both two and three. Over 70% in three throws during conference play. About a 1.3 to 1 turnover ratio.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago

I agree completely. Anyone that is counting on Madung is going to be severely disappointed next year. When guys like Harris have trouble adjusting one can only imagine the issues Mading will have. This isn’t a game of around the world.
I don’t disagree with you guys based on the results of this year‘s freshman class. However, watching the tournament there are many examples of freshmen who are excelling well beyond expectations. With four new guys coming in and four rising sophomore’s, sooner or later one or two of these guys will takeoff and surprise a lot of people.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Section104 wrote: 5 years ago Via Mat Shelton Eide (VCU insider?)

Prediction (based on fact): Rhode Island will land an extremely talented point guard in the very near future that I wish was headed to VCU.
LaMelo Ball is still available :D
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

URI & VCU we're both in on Nah'Shon Hyland.... Could be him??
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Joe95 wrote: 5 years ago URI & VCU we're both in on Nah'Shon Hyland.... Could be him??
For the '20 class I think they were pretty high on Hassan Diarra who has been blowing up lately, plays at PSA - that would be a steal for URI.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Can’t find anything on Lewis on 247Sports or Rivals.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

He broke his knee senior year of HS, not sure if that had any effect on recruiting sites but he is a JUCO now.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I see there is already a portion of our fanbase that is off an running with their way too high offseason expectations for incoming freshman. How did that work out for us this year?

I think it much more likely that none of the incoming freshman make a noticeable impact next season then it is that any one of them makes a significant impact.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago I see there is already a portion of our fanbase that is off an running with their way too high offseason expectations for incoming freshman. How did that work out for us this year?

I think it much more likely that none of the incoming freshman make a noticeable impact next season then it is that any one of them makes a significant impact.

I don’t see how any freshman make a significant impact next year with the whole rotation returning.

Only way I see it is if Thompson leaves as a grad transfer.
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm not saying Mading will be a factor this coming season. I think he'll be a weapon at some point. Maybe it will be at some point in the A10 schedule this season. Maybe it won't be until '19-'20 season. Just my opinion after watching him. He has to get stronger, that much I know. I'm guessing he's already stronger now than he was 3 months ago.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago I see there is already a portion of our fanbase that is off an running with their way too high offseason expectations for incoming freshman. How did that work out for us this year?

I don’t see how any freshman make a significant impact next year with the whole rotation returning.

With Omar and Preston, gone, the rotation is only 7 deep. There are minutes for a couple of the incoming frosh if they earn them.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago

With Omar and Preston, gone, the rotation is only 7 deep. There are minutes for a couple of the incoming frosh if they earn them.
Actually, I guess Walker figures in, so that's 8. Still could use minutes from one or two of the frosh.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Wow, Pipkins to Providence. That is surely a vote of no confidence for MAL and Duke as a PG.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

With me, it is always an issue of wording and semantics, like how each individual poster defines "significant" or "noticeable." It would surprise me if anyone in the 2019-20 freshman class is an immediate starter. It wouldn't surprise me if one of them was a regular, 8 to 15 minute guy off the bench. Which guy would it be? I honestly don't have a clue. If you had asked me about this year's class, I would have thought Harris > Tate > Martin, but Martin looks to be the best of the class, with the caveat that Harris was playing hurt. All three look to be valuable A-10 players though, so that's a pretty good class with a chance to become great.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Wow, Pipkins to Providence. That is surely a vote of no confidence for MAL and Duke as a PG.
I wonder if MAL is a transfer candidate. Would be sit one/play two. If he thinks he’s not going to see the floor much next year now anyways, it might make sense for him.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Wow, Pipkins to Providence. That is surely a vote of no confidence for MAL and Duke as a PG.
I'm curious to see if his efficiency ticks up. You'd think it would, since he probably wouldn't be the focal point of the offense at PC, but some guys don't when their role changes. I don't see a ton of downside for PC - he's only on the books for one year, and hell, maybe his presence on the roster forces some of the other guys to step up their game.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

http://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2018-1 ... eppardsjc5

There’s some mutual interest via Coach Boswell...we’ll see. Kicked off East Carolina after making all AAC rookie team. Character issues? Knockdown shooter.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Character and academics. From 247sports:
Sheppard missed all of this past season due to off-the-court issues, but he was a promising talent thanks to his ball-handling skills and shooting ability from the point guard position. Sheppard averaged 9.2 points and 3.5 assists per game as a freshman in 2016-17, earning All-AAC Rookie honors.
On paper, the two players seem like big losses from a production standpoint, but sources indicate the team may be better off from a morale viewpoint behind the scenes going forward following their departure. Barkley was the team’s best rebounder the last three years and averaged 32.2 minutes and 12.0 points per game last season in 23 games. But he was suspended twice last season for a violation of team rules.
Sheppard was the team’s only other true consistent 3-point threat outside of shooting guard Shawn Williams. He was named to the All-American Athletic Conference rookie team in 2016-17. Despite missing this entire past season due to a violation of team rules combined with his academic standing, Sheppard was initially seen as a candidate to stick on the roster following Dooley’s introduction. He went to the coach’s first team meeting, but per sources, another rules violation led to his recent dismissal.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Mading - I saw him play 5 times live and about 5 times on ballertv in AAU Tournaments. All of those games were against lower level teams and he didn’t standout. His shot was avg to below avg % from outside. He would have to make huge gains in order to contribute at all next year. It can happen. The coaches feel he has significant upside.

Pimpkins has the potential to hurt PC. He is a shoot first PG and is a ball hog. I would think Cooley will reel him in or he will sit. MAL has to transfer.

Rhody open slot - I think they woukd prefer a 5th yr senior over a JUCO. JUCO is a crap shoot because of the competition level. Not a lot of defense and a lot of run and gun. They should have one recruit for a on campus visit in the next two weeks.

Adding Walker puts the rotation at 8. That is the typical rotation size. They could use a G to add to the rotation.

Of the incoming Fr, Hammond has the best chance of playing time next year because of the need at G. Long has played against the best competition by far which makes him the most college ready. The issue for Long is Martin, Tate & Walker ahead of him.
“We will be good when we are good.”
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago Character and academics. From 247sports:
Sheppard missed all of this past season due to off-the-court issues, but he was a promising talent thanks to his ball-handling skills and shooting ability from the point guard position. Sheppard averaged 9.2 points and 3.5 assists per game as a freshman in 2016-17, earning All-AAC Rookie honors.
On paper, the two players seem like big losses from a production standpoint, but sources indicate the team may be better off from a morale viewpoint behind the scenes going forward following their departure. Barkley was the team’s best rebounder the last three years and averaged 32.2 minutes and 12.0 points per game last season in 23 games. But he was suspended twice last season for a violation of team rules.
Sheppard was the team’s only other true consistent 3-point threat outside of shooting guard Shawn Williams. He was named to the All-American Athletic Conference rookie team in 2016-17. Despite missing this entire past season due to a violation of team rules combined with his academic standing, Sheppard was initially seen as a candidate to stick on the roster following Dooley’s introduction. He went to the coach’s first team meeting, but per sources, another rules violation led to his recent dismissal.
Sometimes the first home isn't the best fit. I would like for us to give him a shot.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

His numbers certainly warrant a looksee. I trust our staff to make the right decision either way.
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

As expected, Makai Ashton-Langford has announced he is transferring from PC.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It's really funny to see the Friar board salivate over a transfer from a conference they trash repeatedly. They love transfers from A10 cellar dwellers, first Jackson (Mason) and now Pipkins (Umass).
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago It's really funny to see the Friar board salivate over a transfer from a conference they trash repeatedly. They love transfers from A10 cellar dwellers, first Jackson (Mason) and now Pipkins (Umass).
Well, Umass did beat them. So I guess if you can't beat em, join em.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago As expected, Makai Ashton-Langford has announced he is transferring from PC.

And he should now go to UMass...
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago Character and academics. From 247sports:
Sometimes the first home isn't the best fit. I would like for us to give him a shot.
What do we think 'violation of team rules' entails? Do we think we have the same rule(s)?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Pipkins is very solid pick up for PC.

Instant offensive threat which White and MAL aren’t.

He’ll step right into their starting 5 with Duke, Reeves, Diallo and Watson.

Very formidable starting 5.
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jeremy Sheppard is a lights out shooter. This is the kid the VCU blogger was talking About. Headed here for a visit soon and will likely commit. This is what the doctor ordered.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago Pipkins is very solid pick up for PC.

Instant offensive threat which White and MAL aren’t.

He’ll step right into their starting 5 with Duke, Reeves, Diallo and Watson.

Very formidable starting 5.
Pipkins over MAL is an upgrade.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Jeremy Sheppard is a lights out shooter. This is the kid the VCU blogger was talking About. Headed here for a visit soon and will likely commit. This is what the doctor ordered.
Presuming his off court issues are history, his numbers have me drooling.
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Not just off court, but his grades hopefully aren't an issue.

Would he have 2 years eligibility?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Cox dips into DMV again. Yes, 2 years
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Sheppard looks solid, just finished his highlight video from freshmen year

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Sheppard Fr year game stats. Percentages lower than his JUCO #s this year.
https://static.ecupirates.com/custompag ... lyr_01.htm
“We will be good when we are good.”