Games of Interest - Post Season Play

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Games of Interest - Post Season Play

Unread post by ramster »

But all 32 teams are in the same boat. They all wanted to be in the NCAA Tournament.
Just watching the Butler Nebraska game and the announcers are raving about how the Big East has all 10 of their teams in Post Season Play
Will be interesting to see how these 5 teams do in the NIT

DePaul vs Central Michigan in the CBI

PC vs Arkansas NIT
Harvard vs Georgetown NIT
Butler vs Nebraska NIT
Xavier vs Toledo NIT
Creighton vs Loyola Chicago NIT
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well they are 1-2 so far.

PC and GTown losers, and X wins.

Not impressed so far. The A10 has nothing to brag about either.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Dayton loses a close one yesterday and Davidson loses to a school called Lipscomb? Damn.
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote: 5 years ago Alright, Bobby- time to win a tournament game (as a coach). Maybe Dan being there will bring him luck.
So far, so good... 38-25
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

They could have stomped St. John’s out of this game when they went up 18 with 5+ minutes in the half, but went over four minutes without scoring. St Johns is barely hanging around but they’re lucky to be even this close.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That inconsistency is kind of the story of ASU this year- they could reach the Sweet 16 or lose to Buffalo by ten if they get there. It’s weird seeing Dan actually sit at a game. He still looks more active and engaged than Mullin. I loved Mullin the player, not sure what to make of him as a coach yet.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago They could have stomped St. John’s out of this game when they went up 18 with 5+ minutes in the half, but went over four minutes without scoring. St Johns is barely hanging around but they’re lucky to be even this close.
There are always runs in college basketball. You can’t what if/could’ve by excluding your teams bad run.

Half time commentary on Bobby picking up bad T. Ironic that he got it shortly after they showed Dan in the stands.
The Hurley boys have a bad reputation with the refs that seems justified.
“We will be good when we are good.”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If you missed it, good article here-

NDSU moves on after their win tonight.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago NIT is still a valuable tournament. Sure you have teams who under achieved and are on their way out, but many teams are young teams on the cusp of making the NCAAT. Hungry. Those are the teams you want to play.
The NIT is actually now much harder to get into for an at large than it was for the four decades before the NCAA took it over. Not only was the field larger for some time (40 teams vs today's32), it did not give automatic bids (which now can account for nearly 1/3 of teams) and was entirely at large invites. It is now much better run, more selective, and much more merit based. In the old days, it was run by a NYC based old boys club that favored local teams and made many selections based on name value and who had big venues that could sell tickets. There was no initial set bracket. Matchups were decided after each round. Often easy paths (all home games) to NYC were created to help get the desired teams in the final four.
Not sure of the number of teams in the NIT decades ago but in early ‘70s the NCAA Tournament was only 32 teams and now it is 68. So the teams in the NIT field in the early ‘70s would make the 68 team NCAA field now.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago They could have stomped St. John’s out of this game when they went up 18 with 5+ minutes in the half, but went over four minutes without scoring. St Johns is barely hanging around but they’re lucky to be even this close.
There are always runs in college basketball. You can’t what if/could’ve by excluding your teams bad run.

Half time commentary on Bobby picking up bad T. Ironic that he got it shortly after they showed Dan in the stands.
The Hurley boys have a bad reputation with the refs that seems justified.
There are runs to be expected, but ASU has now scored 5 points in 8 minutes. Fortunately for them, SJU has only been OK during that time or they’d be in real trouble. I’m not really excluding anything, just observing that they appeared on the cusp of running away from Johnnies but now they’re in a game because of the scoring drought.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

St Johns sucks. They shouldn’t have made the Tournament. Losing by 32 points last week to Marquette (a 5 seed) might have been an indication they didn’t belong.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

On that we are agreed
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

mjg13x wrote: 5 years ago NCAAs tonight:

(16) NC Central vs. (16) North Dakota State, NDSU favored by 5 points, 6:40p truTV

(11) St. John's vs. (11) Arizona State, ASU favored by 2 points, 9:10p truTV

NIT tonight:

(6) Toledo @ (3) Xavier, X favored by 5 points, 7:00p ESPN3

(8) Norfolk State @ (1) Alabama, Bama favored by 16 points, 7:00p ESPNU

(6) Harvard @ (3) Georgetown, Hoyas favored by 5 points, 7:00p ESPN2

(6) Wichita State @ (3) Furman, Pick-'Em 7:00p ESPN3

(8) Sam Houston State @ (1) TCU, TCU favored by 14 points, 9:00p ESPNU

(5) Butler @ (4) Nebraska, Huskers favored by 5.5 points, 9:00p ESPN2
No Surprise Arizona State beating St John's. It's a shame St John's got in this Tournament because they kept out a good team in UNC Greensboro.
St John's had a weak 73 NET plus they stumbled badly over the last 3 weeks of the season. The NCAA used to give consideration to how a team finished the season whether strong or weak but not any more. Just your total record. Glad St John's lost but I never thought they would win a game in the NCAA anyway - just too weak a team

Brown with a nice win over University of Alabama Birmingham in Providence in the CBI. Brown played without Desmond Cambridge.
Obi Okolie had a career high 26 points for Brown.

Nebraska was a fun game to watch as the crowd was big and really into the game actually a sea of red continuously standing the last minute or two of the game. It was a physical game at times versus Butler. Good for Nebraska considering the challenges the state is facing with flooding now
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

St John's is talented but so damn undisciplined!

One of the guys in the studio, some former UNC guy was talking about how they just dont know what they're doing out there. Looks like some, your turn, my turn basketball.

There were some games where they put it together, but it would happen randomly because they play randomly.

The Temple Belmont game was waaaaay better.

Either of those teams woulda clocked St. John's.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Big East went with Chris Mullin and Patrick Ewing as Head Coaches - could have gotten some much more experienced, known Coaches but went with the former players. Jury is still out.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah no doubt Johnnies did not deserve a bid they were terrible the last 8-10 games of the season
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

NCAAs today:

(10) Minnesota vs. (7) Louisville (-5.5) 12:00 pm CBS
(14) Yale vs. (3) LSU (-6.5) 12:30 pm truTV
(12) New Mexico St. vs. (5) Auburn (-5.5) 1:20 pm TNT
(13) Vermont vs. (4) Florida St. (-9) 1:50 pm TBS
(15) Bradley vs. (2) Michigan St. (-18.5) 2:30 pm CBS
(11) Belmont vs. (6) Maryland (-3) 3:00 pm truTV
(13) Northeastern vs. (4) Kansas (-6.5) 3:50 pm TNT
(12) Murray St. vs. (5) Marquette (-3.5) 4:20 pm TBS
(10) Florida vs. (7) Nevada (-2.5) 6:45 pm TNT
(15) Abilene Christian vs. (2) Kentucky (-21.5) 7:00 pm CBS
(11) Saint Mary's vs. (6) Villanova (-4.5) 7:15 pm TBS
(16) Fairleigh Dickinson vs. (1) Gonzaga (-27.5) 7:15 pm truTV
(15) Montana vs. (2) Michigan (-15) 9:15 pm TNT
(10) Seton Hall vs. (7) Wofford (-2.5) 9:30 pm CBS
(14) Old Dominion vs. (3) Purdue (-13) 9:45 pm TBS
(9) Baylor vs. (8) Syracuse (-1.5) 9:55 pm truTV

Favorite (spread)
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Today begins America’s downfall of focus in the workforce.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From the sounds of it, Brown played better in this game because of Cambridge not being there. Mentions how he would force shots and shoot a relatively poor percentage.
Brown will next head to Los Angeles to play at Loyola Marymount in the same gym that the great Hank Gathers played his college basketball in.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... win-in-cbi
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I just completed my bracket and then immediately hated every choice I made.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Whos the Cinderall(s)??
GO RAMS
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Just watching the Butler Nebraska game and the announcers are raving about how the Big East has all 10 of their teams in Post Season Play
The reason it's important is because it's pretty much the same pattern every year.
This year was certainly a down year for the conference, but the lack of low-quality games every season helps get those 4-6 teams into the tournament.
If you look at the NET for the conference this season:
26 - Villanova
28 - Marquette
53 - Creighton
57 - Seton Hall
64 - Butler
67 - Xavier
70 - Providence
73 - St. John's
82 - Georgetown
102 - DePaul
Since you play everyone twice, someone like PC gets those 9 Q1 games, 7 Q2 games, and 2 Q3 games.
This is supposed to be a down year, and it was, but quality games were still there.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago I just completed my bracket and then immediately hated every choice I made.
That's me - every single March!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Happy for Brown to finally get a postseason game victory and record their first ever 20 win season.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

St John's is one of those Big East teams that has less NCAA Tournament wins than URI in the last two decades but still continues to get far more press and hype. The Johnnies have but one NCAA victory in the 2000's. Not exactly impressive for the school that constantly crows that it is 9th in all time wins.
steviep123
Sly Williams

The games have begun. I remember in the past it was possible to have up to all 4 games on at once on the computer screen. I don't see that option on the March Madness Website. Maybe it will come up as other games start. Does anyone know? It would be great to have 4 games on one screen.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Bill Murray’s hat is the highlight of this game so far.

It was mentioned in the coaches’s thread, but I would love to see Luke get a chance to run a team.
steviep123
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 5 years ago Bill Murray’s hat is the highlight of this game so far.

It was mentioned in the coaches’s thread, but I would love to see Luke get a chance to run a team.
Agreed...great hat, but also indicative of this game being pretty bad that Murray's hat is the highlight. Also would love to see Luke Murray get a crack at gig.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago St John's is one of those Big East teams that has less NCAA Tournament wins than URI in the last two decades but still continues to get far more press and hype. The Johnnies have but one NCAA victory in the 2000's. Not exactly impressive for the school that constantly crows that it is 9th in all time wins.
It demographics related -- Such a big part of these TV contracts + realignment is what type of markets are we entering/are we in? People can say all they want "It doesn't matter, its all online," but it's overall viewership/interest. At the BET, SJU fans show up in good numbers. Opening night at the Garden was a sell-out for first round games, primarily because St. John's was playing. Garden is a nearly 20,000 seat venue, sold out to watch 4 teams that had practically no chance at winning the BET. By comparison, the highest attendance at any session for the A10 Tournament was 8,371 to the Championship game. That's why they get the press and hype. It's the marquee college program located in New York City for people who grew up in that area. It's why they can recruit at a reasonably high-level, despite having done nothing in recent history. That's why people focus so much on TV markets -- How else does Rutgers end up in the Big 10?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I find it so crazy that Will Wade is just not coaching his team in the tournament. I’m not used to schools being so proactive with coaches.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

Luke Murray to St Joes
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Listening to Reggie Miller reminds me of one thing, "EC Matthewwwwwssssss"
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago St John's is one of those Big East teams that has less NCAA Tournament wins than URI in the last two decades but still continues to get far more press and hype. The Johnnies have but one NCAA victory in the 2000's. Not exactly impressive for the school that constantly crows that it is 9th in all time wins.
It demographics related -- Such a big part of these TV contracts + realignment is what type of markets are we entering/are we in? People can say all they want "It doesn't matter, its all online," but it's overall viewership/interest. At the BET, SJU fans show up in good numbers. Opening night at the Garden was a sell-out for first round games, primarily because St. John's was playing. Garden is a nearly 20,000 seat venue, sold out to watch 4 teams that had practically no chance at winning the BET. By comparison, the highest attendance at any session for the A10 Tournament was 8,371 to the Championship game. That's why they get the press and hype. It's the marquee college program located in New York City for people who grew up in that area. It's why they can recruit at a reasonably high-level, despite having done nothing in recent history. That's why people focus so much on TV markets -- How else does Rutgers end up in the Big 10?
Eh, then explain Butler and Creighton. I live in NYC, St John's does not get a lot of pub in the market, Zach Brazilier in the Post covers them the most but really that equates to story recaps after games and an occasional player profile. MSG was packed bc its MSG, and its a sports town and the Big East still has cache to the average Joe basketball fan. Not because 15k were there to see St Johns. They still play games in a 7k gym on campus and only this year have they been able to draw to MSG bc they had a decent team.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago

St John's averaged 8,620 for its 17 regular season home games that were played at both MSG and Carneseca. Three of their games actually drew less than 5k. All in a city that alone has 8.6M residents living within its borders and millions more in its metro area. One would think that if SJU was truly the huge draw you contend, it would schedule more than FIVE home games at 20,789 seat MSG and look to play far less than the 12 games it did at its 5,602 capacity gym on campus.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Listening to Reggie Miller reminds me of one thing, "EC Matthewwwwwssssss"
“Don’t do it to them like that Fatts!!!!”

As he rips Tre Young
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’m getting ahead of myself, but I really hope Dowtin and Cyril get another trip to the tournament. Would be well-deserved.
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

Damnit Louisville. The first game of the tournament, and my bracket's already imperfect. Glad I had them losing in the second round.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
Eh, then explain Butler and Creighton. I live in NYC, St John's does not get a lot of pub in the market, Zach Brazilier in the Post covers them the most but really that equates to story recaps after games and an occasional player profile. MSG was packed bc its MSG, and its a sports town and the Big East still has cache to the average Joe basketball fan. Not because 15k were there to see St Johns. They still play games in a 7k gym on campus and only this year have they been able to draw to MSG bc they had a decent team.
I'm not telling you that they were the only people who showed up, but there was a lot of red in the stands. It drew 3,000 more than the previous high for a 1st round night (16,866 - 2018). That was because of St. John's having a decent team, that's all I was saying. They pushed it to a sellout when it would have otherwise had somewhere between 14-16k.

The reality is NYC is a pro sports town. SJU will never dominate coverage. But there are still people who believe in that whole demographic thing. They believe in hyping the top college program in the top media market. It doesn't matter what the people in the area feel. Let's face it, there are probably more Duke and Kentucky fans living in NYC then there are St. John's fans. It doesn't mean people won't try to push that agenda.

Let me also put it to you this way -- At the Big East Tournament I was talking to a few old school guys. One goes "I don't get why the Big East added Creighton. They should have added Fordham, it would be good for the Big East to have more New York schools to solidify the area." I nearly spit my beer out. How could anyone feel that way? But it was later explained to me that they were in town working in advertising/marketing and that's what they are taught to look for.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Please please please take Fordham.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Back to the games....Auburn tries to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory but hang on anyway. I'm sure you'll see highlights, but down 2 with 6.8 seconds to play, New Mexico St with a chance to tie or win with a 3, dribbles down the lane for what looks to be a wide open layup (replay shows there was a trailer to potentially block a shot), but inexplicably passes it out for a wide open 3 attempt. It's missed, BUT Auburn fouls the shooter for 3 FTs. However, he misses the first, makes the 2nd, and missed the 3rd. The rebound goes out of bounds off Auburn and NM St. has 1.1 seconds left. They get another shot, take a 3 pointer, but it misses as the buzzer sounds. NM State did miss 4 or 5 FTs in the last couple of minutes while Auburn had several turnovers and a couple of offensive fouls down the stretch.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Vermont FLA St a good one!

Vermont is good, but the Seminoles proving to be too talented.

Terence Mann and Kabengele are so good.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Tom Izzo just lost his mind going after one of his players. Save that energy for the refs!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Bradley ain't goin nowhere!

They came to play!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I'm already overwhelmed.
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I'm already overwhelmed.

I still got 2 perfect brackets!

Will only have one left after Maryland Belmont.

I still root for upsets even if it's out of my favor.

Louisville losing hurt me bad I'm my work bracket.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Horrible end of game possession by Belmont. Best player (G) never touches the ball. They had the ball with 24 seconds to go down 1. Small PG who commits turnovers dribbling and then making a bad pass. They have three good players and none of them touched the ball in the last full possession.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Big East is imploding in post season. Marquette outscored 31-11 in last 14 minutes. BE about to go 0-2 in NCAA and 3 teams lost in the first round of NIT.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Perfect bracket about to have first blemish as Marquette goes down.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago Perfect bracket about to have first blemish as Marquette goes down.

Right there with you with that result.

Hard not to root for Murray State though!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I’ve still got one perfect . I picked northeastern as a homer pick and Belmont once.
GO RAMS