The 2019 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: The 2019 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by RF1 »

With Martelli gone, Mooney is now the dean of the conference as far as tenure in the A-10 is concerned. I however seriously doubt that he will ever surpass Phil for years coaching in the league.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Their endowment is over $2.5 Billion

https://giving.richmond.edu/leadership/ ... index.html
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

When Bob McKillop is done at Davidson, they are going to have to decide what they are going to do...he is one of the lowest paid coaches in the A10, yet one of the best. Unless they find the next coach who is very good, just loves it there and doesn't mind being paid less than half of what he could on the open market, they will have to pony up big time if they wish to maintain their status as a top tier A10 team.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Martelli been at SJU since 85 as an assistant

Nice career I would think he stays retired
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

With Fairfield letting go of their entire coaching staff, word is that Tyson Wheeler is heavily being considered for the head coaching job at D3 Connecticut College.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bos8 wrote: 5 years ago With Fairfield letting go of their entire coaching staff, word is that Tyson Wheeler is heavily being considered for the head coaching job at D3 Connecticut College.
Makes sense as Tyson needs a new job and is a native of New London which is also the home to Connecticut College (located across the street from the the Coast Guard Academy).

Have seen current Louisville assistant (formerley Xavier/URI/Towson) and Fairfield alum Luke Murray's name connected to the Stags opening.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Saw this mentioned elsewhere - St Joe's fired Martelli on its patron saint's day.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Martelli been at SJU since 85 as an assistant

Nice career I would think he stays retired
+1

I hope he play golf (or whatever he likes to do) and enjoys life. Too many D1 coaches stay around too long.
You worked hard, made lots of $$ - go have fun.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

A lot of coaches coach well past their shelf life...it's what they do.

And then you have guys like Calhoun.....Boeheim....coach K.

Many don't coach for the trophies....not many get them....they just love what they do too much to quit.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The comments by this athletic director are unbelievable. Here is a person in her first year as an athletic director and first year at the school talking like she knows more about the school, the program and basketball culture itself than the guy who basically is St Joe’s basketball. And to add insult to injury, it’s all consultant-y corporate speak. The audacity of this person!

I’ve never been a big Martelli fan as a person, mostly because our interests never aligned and that’s just something that happens in sports. But there’s no question that the guy has had an incredible career, all at the one school, and has forgot more about basketball and St Joes since he was fired earlier today than this AD will ever know.

Btw, I’m not even saying I wouldn’t have replaced him if I were the new AD. That’s a totally sensible move. I just can’t believe what she was saying about it. In light of the record over the last several years, I think she could have simply said Martelli is a legend and will always be associated with St Joes and vice verse, but that after 35 years the school decided it was time for a change in leadership. And that’s it. Don’t say anything else. You don’t need to try to make yourself sound super smart and super in charge. You’re the AD, everyone knows you’re in charge, and nothing that was said here gave the impression the AD is smart as much as that she wants to sound smart. I’m very skeptical of the type of person who talks like this.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

To steal a turn...

"He was here for a really really long time and did some decent stuff I guess, but it's about me now, not him."
Jill Bodensteiner, probably
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe she should be the coach lol......yeah that comment about the players and team struck me as a little over the top.

St. Joes could be in trouble with her picking the new coach. A school's AD has a lot to do with the success of their programs.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Martelli is a dick. Glad he's gone. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Disparaged the A10 every chance he had. See ya.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Don't think he had a soft spot for URI, that's for sure.

Wouldn't be surprised if he stiffed us every time there was a player award to be handed out.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If they remake Young Frankenstein, Martelli now has time to portray The Monster.
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
The comments by this athletic director are unbelievable. Here is a person in her first year as an athletic director and first year at the school talking like she knows more about the school, the program and basketball culture itself than the guy who basically is St Joe’s basketball. And to add insult to injury, it’s all consultant-y corporate speak. The audacity of this person!

I’ve never been a big Martelli fan as a person, mostly because our interests never aligned and that’s just something that happens in sports. But there’s no question that the guy has had an incredible career, all at the one school, and has forgot more about basketball and St Joes since he was fired earlier today than this AD will ever know.

Btw, I’m not even saying I wouldn’t have replaced him if I were the new AD. That’s a totally sensible move. I just can’t believe what she was saying about it. In light of the record over the last several years, I think she could have simply said Martelli is a legend and will always be associated with St Joes and vice verse, but that after 35 years the school decided it was time for a change in leadership. And that’s it. Don’t say anything else. You don’t need to try to make yourself sound super smart and super in charge. You’re the AD, everyone knows you’re in charge, and nothing that was said here gave the impression the AD is smart as much as that she wants to sound smart. I’m very skeptical of the type of person who talks like this.
Below is her Bio. Just started at St Joseph's in June 2018. Hatchet job comes to mind on this. I am sure it was "excruciating" for her. :cry: :cry:
Did she look back to see how St Joseph's has been hit hard by injuries the past years?
I have no problem with Martelli.
The guy took St Joseph's to the NCAA Tournament 7 times and to the NIT 6 times. What the heck - and you fire the guy because of a few off seasons?
Just the fact she says you need to ask him if he was fired or not. The fact Martelli will not answer questions. He did not deserve to be fired, or at least it could have been handled in a better way
I know many here hate Martelli but I think he was a good Head Coach and good for the Atlantic 10.
Regardless of how you feel about the guy, you have a new AD, 9 months on the job and he gets canned in a rather ruthless fashion. But she "did an analysis" yeah, right :roll: :roll:

Saint Joseph's athletic director Jill Bodensteiner told The Associated Press that while it was "excruciating" to part ways with Martelli, she "didn't feel like we were giving the student-athletes an optimal chance to succeed."
"I did an analysis of this year, primarily, and decided we weren't helping those student-athletes maximize their potential, individually or as a team," she told the AP.

http://www.sjuhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbm ... =211717546
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago

Below is her Bio. Just started at St Joseph's in June 2018. Hatchet job comes to mind on this. I am sure it was "excruciating" for her. :cry: :cry:
Did she look back to see how St Joseph's has been hit hard by injuries the past years?
I have no problem with Martelli.
The guy took St Joseph's to the NCAA Tournament 7 times and to the NIT 6 times. What the heck - and you fire the guy because of a few off seasons?
Just the fact she says you need to ask him if he was fired or not. The fact Martelli will not answer questions. He did not deserve to be fired, or at least it could have been handled in a better way
I know many here hate Martelli but I think he was a good Head Coach and good for the Atlantic 10.
Regardless of how you feel about the guy, you have a new AD, 9 months on the job and he gets canned in a rather ruthless fashion. But she "did an analysis" yeah, right :roll: :roll:

Saint Joseph's athletic director Jill Bodensteiner told The Associated Press that while it was "excruciating" to part ways with Martelli, she "didn't feel like we were giving the student-athletes an optimal chance to succeed."
"I did an analysis of this year, primarily, and decided we weren't helping those student-athletes maximize their potential, individually or as a team," she told the AP.

http://www.sjuhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbm ... =211717546
He was no friend of the A10.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

blueram - that’s totally besides the point. I just can’t stand the way this AD talks to the media - what she said and how she said are both absolute nightmares as far as the type of person you want captaining your ship.

ramster - the quotes you pulled there were the most egregious to me as well, but the whole thing I found unreal.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Someone over there using my same handle.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'm no fan of the guy at all, and she may have given him the option to retire and this is how she's reacting to him telling her where to put her option. Regardless, still wasn't necessary to go total doosh on him on the way out. No winners there.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

She wants to build a culture though. So there’s that. Right?
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Hopefully she builds an arena so they don't play in a gym
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Hopefully she builds an arena so they don't play in a gym
Her analysis says they should stay in a cramped gym.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The A10 board....having a love fest for Martelli.

They all say he did a lot for the A10.....maybe he did for some...but URI?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Everyone should check out the new TV deal for the AAC.....it's in the UConn thread.

Almost 7 million a year per school....total 1 billion dollars.

Yes we don't have FBS football, but we are being left behind.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Everyone should check out the new TV deal for the AAC.....it's in the UConn thread.

It will be interesting to see if this new deal holds the AAC together. There is talk of UCF wanting to go to a P5 conference after getting hosed in the football playoffs and the hope is that with this big payday they would stay. The possibility has also been raised to divide the $ up unevenly to further appease the larger and better performing schools. The AAC contract expired this year and at least some of the P5 contracts expire around 2023. If UCF makes the jump others may follow and we may have an opportunity at that point to improve our lot. I can’t help but wonder if the improvements to Meade Field (night TV games) are being done with this in mind. Check out this article from a while back.

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/americ ... n-ucf.html
Last edited by KevanBoyles 5 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

So now that martelli is gone.... do we hate st Joe's less?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Everyone should check out the new TV deal for the AAC.....it's in the UConn thread.

How much do we make from CBS NBC and our ESPN+ deal?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago

How much do we make from CBS NBC and our ESPN+ deal?
$242.50 (before taxes)
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Seth Davis was ball washing Martelli in between games. I like Seth but come on ‘
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago The A10 board....having a love fest for Martelli.

I will never forget his comments from the mid 2000's when one of Baron's teams was desperately fighting for an NCAA bid. The media asked Martelli about Rhody's prospects. Instead of promoting another league school like most coaches do at that time of year, he punted and said something to the effect that he didn't know if URI deserved to be in the field.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago So now that martelli is gone.... do we hate st Joe's less?
only those who hated him in the first place, not me

I root for URI First
I root for whoever is playing PC Second (Go Razerbacks :lol: :lol: )
I root for all 13 other A10 Schools third - Atlantic 10 Loyalty
Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago The A10 board....having a love fest for Martelli.

I will never forget his comments from the mid 2000's when one of Baron's teams was desperately fighting for an NCAA bid. The media asked Martelli about Rhody's prospects. Instead of promoting another league school like most coaches do at that time of year, he punted and said something to the effect that he didn't know if URI deserved to be in the field.
I remember that. It’s when I started hating him.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We get about 400K a year from TV contracts....maybe a tad more now that ESPN+ is televising us.

Pays the bar tab at the hotels [motels?] we stay in for road games lol.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Great....one of our TV partners is mad at Joe's....and by extension the A10....

The A in A10 should stand for Amateur hour.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well said Jonny Rothstein

I agree on making a change but it was handled horribly

Amazing how they treated a guy who spent 34 years at the school led them to an elite 8 and National coach of the year

Hopefully they can find some way to honor him going forward
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Well said Jonny Rothstein

I agree on making a change but it was handled horribly

Amazing how they treated a guy who spent 34 years at the school led them to an elite 8 and National coach of the year

Hopefully they can find some way to honor him going forward
naming a toilet in his honor seems appropriate to the person he is
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago

I don't know if UMass' Barstool account can be considered a serious source, but if true, it looks like their three assistants are being sacrificed to keep McCall around another year. What a dumpster fire that place has become
And here's a more mainstream media confirmation

https://www.gazettenet.com/Coaching-sha ... s-24229690
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The 3 of them together sounds like a law firm....

Can't hold a candle to my all time fav though.....

Dewey Cheatem and Howe.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago The guy took St Joseph's to the NCAA Tournament 7 times and to the NIT 6 times. What the heck - and you fire the guy because of a few off seasons?
I think there is some context to those numbers:

In his first 10 years on the job, Martelli made 4 NCAA Tournaments and 3 NIT's. He won 6 NCAA Tournament games, 10 NIT games, which includes 1 Elite 8, 2 Sweet 16s, and 2 NIT Runner-Ups.

In his next 14 years on the job, Martelli made 3 NCAA Tournaments and 3 NIT's. He won 1 NCAA Tournament game and 1 NIT game.

His team hadn't made a postseason tournament in 3 years and amassed a combined 41-55 record (20-34 in conference).

Taking out the fact that Martelli was an important part of the history of St. Joseph's basketball, I think most teams who made 3 NCAA Tournaments in 14 years, had only 1 tournament win, and hadn't been competitive for the last three years would come to the same conclusion.

Injuries or not, even his fully healthy teams have not gotten the job done.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago The guy took St Joseph's to the NCAA Tournament 7 times and to the NIT 6 times. What the heck - and you fire the guy because of a few off seasons?

In his first 10 years on the job, Martelli made 4 NCAA Tournaments and 3 NIT's. He won 6 NCAA Tournament games, 10 NIT games, which includes 1 Elite 8, 2 Sweet 16s, and 2 NIT Runner-Ups.

In his next 14 years on the job, Martelli made 3 NCAA Tournaments and 3 NIT's. He won 1 NCAA Tournament game and 1 NIT game.

His team hadn't made a postseason tournament in 3 years and amassed a combined 41-55 record (20-34 in conference).

Taking out the fact that Martelli was an important part of the history of St. Joseph's basketball, I think most teams who made 3 NCAA Tournaments in 14 years, had only 1 tournament win, and hadn't been competitive for the last three years would come to the same conclusion.

True.
But the point is not whether or not he should have gotten fired, it was how it was handled.

He needed to go, go read the St Joseph’s message board and most all are looking forward to the change, but for a guy with 34 years at St Joseph’s, with 13 NCAA/NIT Tournaments to be released in the statement from a “9 month on the job” AD makes for a bad look for St Joseph’s and the A10 to some extent.

Reminds me some of when Lefty Driesell was released by Maryland.

There is way to handle long term, veteran Head Coaches and there is a way not to. Same with long term employees in the workplace.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
Shameful, spot on by Rothstein.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago The 3 of them together sounds like a law firm....

Can't hold a candle to my all time fav though.....

Dewey Cheatem and Howe.
Picture1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Didn't like Martelli, but they fired him wrong and too early. Injuries were holding them back. He seemed like he was getting more out of kids over the past few years, not less.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Former URI guard - fired from Cal after some recruiting violations and hasn't seen much success at Morgan State since a relatively hot start...will likely end up as an assistant somewhere with his recruiting abilities
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

You are being a bit harsh on Martelli. Do you realize he had FIVE TIMES as many NCAA wins in the last 20 years as PC did?
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago

You are being a bit harsh on Martelli. Do you realize he had FIVE TIMES as many NCAA wins in the last 20 years as PC did?
Like everything in life, it's about trajectory. I don't care if he had 10 times the NCAA wins the last 20 years. It's about trying to keep the arrow pointed up. Since Delonte West and Jameer Nelson left Martelli's life, fair or not, he hasn't produced great results. He's made the postseason in less than half of those seasons. He's won 2 postseason games in 14 years. He hasn't had a winning record in 3 seasons. In the last 5 years, he has a record of 82-81 (40-50 in conference), and that includes a year where he went 28-8 (13-5 in conference). In the last three years, 41-55 (20-34 in conference). You are talking about a program that from 01-09 had an average KenPom of 49.7, to a program from 10-19 had an average KenPom of 124.9. And even worse, if you break it down even further: 01-05 - 29.25. 06-10 - 91. 11-15 - 109.8. 16-19 - 131.75. He's been riding the momentum of his 30-2 Elite 8 (nearly Final Four) team for almost 15 years. I can almost guarantee you that P5+high mid-majors with that resume are canned with regularity. You can't grade people on something they did nearly two decades ago.