Message to Coach Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Re: MESSAGE TO COACH COX

Unread post by Rhodyram »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago I try to be cautious of putting emotions on to others’ actions because you can’t always tell. That being said, there have been some big moments in games where I expect to see the guys on the bench react or the guys on the court pick each other up or get pumped, and it’s seemed a little muted at times. Maybe not, but I feel like I’ve seen more than a few examples.
I've seen this exact same thing multiple times myself and was wondering about it a lot last game.
The original post by ace is truth. They do not seem to be a tight unit- definitely not as supportive of each other as seasons past.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I think those ripping the cox hire are a bit premature. Had he been great so far...no. saying he was a bad hire half way into his first season in a rebuild year is crazy. Give the man time.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Haven't seen 1 person ripping the hire.
rhodybball2011
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by rhodybball2011 »

First post on the board, been coming here for a while.

Cox is definitely going thru some growing pains, but that was to be expected with any first year coach. Confident he will figure it out, but now is the time he needs to stop coddling Fatts. I think its a hurdle he needs to get over and once he does things will come into place.

Restating what others have said, Jeff needs to run the show. He is the initiator of the offense and only good things can happen when he has the ball - let him create, and setup. When he does that, he will find it easier to get his own offense going.

Fatts should move to the bench, for the simple reason of that is what suits his game best. The challenge will be Cox getting him to buy into it. You can say to these kids all you want, 'doesn't matter if you start, matters if you finish' but we all know these kids think that's crap. They want to start and think that's all that matters. Cox needs to frame it to Fatts, that the move to the bench is whats best for HIS game, and when his game is better the teams game is better. The move will take pressure off himself, allow him to play more freely and confidently. I think the main issue is Fatts buying into it, which is something Cox needs to get him to do.

Martin and Tate should move into the starting lineup. You can see it start clicking for these guys more and more and their confidence is only going to get stronger, and their games better. Harris is progressing like a big man normally does. I know we all wanted him to light the world on fire, but it takes time. He has the raw ability we can all see, and once he is able to stay on the court longer it will come. Cox does need to let him play thru the foul trouble just for the fact that he needs to learn how to play with fouls. Omar had a nice game, but we can't jump the gun with him. He can be an important piece cause his ability to stretch the floor if that 3 point stroke wasn't a fluke. Would be good if he can string a couple games together of strong performances.

CT needs to move to the bench. He's at best a 7-8th man on an average team, and can give you a veteran presence, but that's it. The thought that he could be the "Stan" of this team was misguided. Stan was a far more talented player on both sides of the ball, and a pest defensively. CT just isn't that player, but can be a guy that gives you a dependable 12-15 min a night.

Cyril has been great and I don't mind him taking that 15 footer when he sets and strokes it. The shot looks good, and this was the year Hass really added that to his game. What I would like from him more is when he gets the ball in the post, making a move right away and not waiting for the D to come to him. Hes so quick, strong, athletic that when he makes that first move these defenders have no shot. Its when he catches it, waits, and puts the ball on the ground that he allows doubles to come and gets himself in trouble.

This team was going to struggle this year, despite what we all hoped. Young teams always do and add in a young coach, we were in for some frustrating nights. But I think the more confidence the young guys/coach get, the better the team will be come late Feb/early March and this will be a team nobody wants to see in the A10 tourney.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Haven't seen 1 person ripping the hire.
I have yet to see one either.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
I was literally referencing a post on the previous page of someone who was critical of the hire.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago
I was literally referencing a post on the previous page of someone who was critical of the hire.
Sorry I missed that.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Starting Martin for CT is not a drastic move and needs to be done. Martin is far more talented and lighting a fire under CT coming off the bench may just be what we need ??
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Ditto to Ace. Maybe my use of ripping was strong, but there are plenty being overly critical and second guessing this early in the tenure.
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Looks to me like coach and the team responded fairly well..
Rhody4Life
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody4Life »

The "Fatts to the bench" take is hilariously moronic. While Jeff may be our best player at this current moment in time, Fatts is our most talented player. And it's not even close.

Not saying Fatts doesn't deserve any criticism, because he absolutely does with the way he's played at times and with his on court demeanor as well. But let's not get ridiculous.

Players like Fatts don't come around too often. And I'd much prefer him to mature on the court rather than sitting on the bench.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody4Life wrote: 5 years ago The "Fatts to the bench" take is hilariously moronic. While Jeff may be our best player at this current moment in time, Fatts is our most talented player. And it's not even close.

Not saying Fatts doesn't deserve any criticism, because he absolutely does with the way he's played at times and with his on court demeanor as well. But let's not get ridiculous.

Players like Fatts don't come around too often. And I'd much prefer him to mature on the court rather than sitting on the bench.
I think the “benching of Fatts” theme was more in the minority.

I think people wanted to see Fatts coached and reigned in. There’s no doubt about his talent (outside of his shooting ability at the moment), and you could see how stagnant the offense was without him against SLU.

When Fatts plays in control, looks to move the ball, and takes shots in the flow of the offense - he’s one of the best 3 players on the court.

We keep forgetting he’s a sophomore playing double the minutes he did last year because he’s come up so big in big spots.

If the Fatts we get is the one who was here Wednesday, we’ll be in great shape.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

How the hell can anyone say Fatts is the most talented player and “it’s not even close.”

Last time I checked shooting the basketball is a talent, and he is a very piss poor shooter, and has proved that for the past 1.5 years.

Jeffrey Dowtin is the most talented player on the team, it’s hard to argue against that.
Go Rhody
Rhody4Life
Abdul Fox

R15, I assumed I would get some flak for that take, but I stand by my opinion. I don't fault you for yours because as you said, it is hard to argue against Jeff being our best player. The stats and consistency are in his favor. He is one of the best pure point guards we've probably ever had here. Hes extremely smart, but he is what he is. He can't really take over a game by himself.

But like I said, I stand by my opinion. Fatts has the potential to be something truly special. Yeah, his numbers make Marcus Smart look like Steph Curry. But also like Marcus Smart, the numbers don't tell the whole story. Smart is a much better shooter than the numbers say, and so is Fatts.

Jeff is a great player, I wasn't trying to take anything away from him. But Fatts is special. I don't think there's anyone in the country who can guard him 1 on 1. Maybe he doesn't reach his potential, but we will go as far as Fatts takes us. And I'm all for giving him and the young guys all the minutes they can handle to prepare for next year and beyond. Because next year is going to be real fun.

Again. Just my 2 cents. Maybe I'm overzealous on Fatts. But I can't believe anyone on here actually thinks we should bench him.
Rhody4Life
Abdul Fox

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody4Life wrote: 5 years ago The "Fatts to the bench" take is hilariously moronic. While Jeff may be our best player at this current moment in time, Fatts is our most talented player. And it's not even close.

I think the “benching of Fatts” theme was more in the minority.

I think people wanted to see Fatts coached and reigned in. There’s no doubt about his talent (outside of his shooting ability at the moment), and you could see how stagnant the offense was without him against SLU.

When Fatts plays in control, looks to move the ball, and takes shots in the flow of the offense - he’s one of the best 3 players on the court.

We keep forgetting he’s a sophomore playing double the minutes he did last year because he’s come up so big in big spots.

If the Fatts we get is the one who was here Wednesday, we’ll be in great shape.
I'm with you here BlueMan. The Saint Louis game was a perfect example. Hopefully we see the difference when they come here in a couple weeks.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Well, we did correct some problems against St. Louis.........Cyril dishing out for assists...............But,

here I sit at 8:30 Saturday night after the Dayton embarrassment, with a few thoughts.

First, I can only make an observation. You are an experienced coach, and in no way would I question your coaching. I appreciate the fact that you are here. This thread has annoyed me with some egotistical posts here, but...............

1. If I can say, I questioned staying in the same "man defense" the whole game......Time after time Dayton drove the lane with success. Our bigs were being screened out by our own high post defenders, and there was no "weak side" help against the penetration. Dayton scored far more from the penetration than the 3 point line. Do we have some zone sets to use, to throw off this penetration?

2. On offense, are the players instructed to never reverse their perimeter passes?

Thanks for being here.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .....find your way, be comfortable with that, develop a signature offensive and defense philosophy, teach it with passion, coach it during games with conviction, accept nothing but 100% player commitment to it during games, recruit players to match that philosophy, wipe the slate of dabbling a little of this a little of that that you think was Rhode Island basketball, put your mark on the program.....step out of the DH shadow, make and demonstrate you are the on and off court clear leader of the program......this all will probably take the rest of the season to play out....
.......I will stand by this in memo formmat from the AD......with a CC to Dooley.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1714820

Interesting coincidence and I don’t believe in coincidences. We hired a coach to keep the team together while Crean is advocating you have to tear it apart to begin anew. What would have Machevilli done?

Crean‘s comments remind me of what Jack Kraft did during his first year at URI. Speaking of which does anyone know the backstory of how Kraft came to URI especially after being in the national championship game several years earlier at Villanova?
Last edited by KevanBoyles 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1714820

Interesting coincidence and I don’t believe in coincidences. We hired a coach to keep the team together while Crean is advocating you have to tear it apart to begin anew. What would have Machevilli done?

Crean‘s comments remind me of what Jack Kraft did during his first year at URI. Speaking of which does anyone know the backstory of how Kraft came to URI especially after being in the final four and or winning the national championship several years earlier at Villanova?
Good find, thanks.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

From Wikipedia on “The Prince.“

According to Machiavelli, when a prince comes to power through luck or the blessings of powerful figures within the regime, he typically has an easy time gaining power but a hard time keeping it thereafter, because his power is dependent on his benefactors' goodwill. He does not command the loyalty of the armies and officials that maintain his authority, and these can be withdrawn from him at a whim. Having risen the easy way, it is not even certain such a prince has the skill and strength to stand on his own feet.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Crean‘s comments remind me of what Jack Kraft did during his first year at URI. Speaking of which does anyone know the backstory of how Kraft came to URI especially after being in the national championship game several years earlier at Villanova?
.......we need a Rod here.......I think the AD at the time was the late John Chuckran, whom may have come from Penn State......he had an early vision of think big we do......??.....update, it was Mo Zarchan whom hired, apparently there is/was a thread on KB of his passing........
Last edited by section(105) 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago

Crean‘s comments remind me of what Jack Kraft did during his first year at URI. Speaking of which does anyone know the backstory of how Kraft came to URI especially after being in the final four and or winning the national championship several years earlier at Villanova?
Good find, thanks.
Crean is a losing idiot. He publicly says these 19-20 year olds don’t have talent. How did he ever get fired at Indiana. I haven’t heard Sean Miller complain about the talent he was left. Crean is saying he should’ve had Georgia renege on their scholarship commitment to all of the returning players.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago From Wikipedia on “The Prince.“

According to Machiavelli, when a prince comes to power through luck or the blessings of powerful figures within the regime, he typically has an easy time gaining power but a hard time keeping it thereafter, because his power is dependent on his benefactors' goodwill. He does not command the loyalty of the armies and officials that maintain his authority, and these can be withdrawn from him at a whim. Having risen the easy way, it is not even certain such a prince has the skill and strength to stand on his own feet.
I haven’t seen a Machiavelli reference since my Political Theory class I needed for my PS degree.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago From Wikipedia on “The Prince.“

I haven’t seen a Machiavelli reference since my Political Theory class I needed for my PS degree.
Food for thought.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Crean is a losing idiot.
Agree, I was shocked at that Georgia hire.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

COACH COX - time go put your big boy leader pants on and cut Ryan Preston -
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago COACH COX - time go put your big boy leader pants on and cut Ryan Preston -
I’m assuming you’ve seen his tweet and the thread resulting from said tweet.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Yes, that has me very worried !

Defining moment

No reason not to kick RP off the team
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago Yes, that has me very worried !

Defining moment

No reason not to kick RP off the team
It might put a damper on all the great things he did in his career at URI-LOL. One block against Harvard and umm-well that’s it. Why would we ever want to waste minutes on an awful offensive player that contributes nothing and will not be here next year. If this guy is ever playing somewhere for money when he graduates it is a simply a sad league. Send a message and get rid of anyone that doesn’t want to be here. What is the difference? We are going nowhere this year and probably not next year any longer either
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Still want to say Fatts is the most talented player and it's not even close?
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago

Good find, thanks.
Crean is a losing idiot. He publicly says these 19-20 year olds don’t have talent. How did he ever get fired at Indiana. I haven’t heard Sean Miller complain about the talent he was left. Crean is saying he should’ve had Georgia renege on their scholarship commitment to all of the returning players.
Also, the situation in which Crean stepped into where they had just fired the previous coach for poor performance is not the same as the situation Cox stepped into where the previous coach was hired away due to excellent performance. Even if Crean were right about his situation (and as you said, he is an idiot so he is almost certainly not right), it wouldn’t have anything to do with our situation.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago

Still want to say Fatts is the most talented player and it's not even close?
My whole problem with fatts is that his talents lie elsewhere from shooting - but he keeps taking the most shots on the team.

He is a plus ball handler and skilled at defense and driving to the lane.

He struggles to finish and isn’t super skilled at running the offense.

Why the coach isn’t putting him in positions to do the things he does well, and taking him out/discouraging him/COACHING him to not do the things he doesn’t do well is beyond me.

He says “shoot your way out of it” like 50 something games of being a 25% shooter and 22 games of being an 18% shooter is a “slump” and not just who he is.

Fatts has been given the keys to the kingdom without having earned them, and it’s like coach has blinders on to pretend he’s not killing this team while on the floor doing whatever he wants.

Fatts could be a good to great player if he was playing within himself and used properly, but considering we’ve seen it for only 3 games this year I’m not holding my breath.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Good post, Blue Man. Fatts is not going to shoot his way out of anything because he does not have the requisite shooting skills. One revelation on his three point shooting is that he is not only the worst in the nation, but I cannot find any D1 player in the last seven years who made a minimum of 100 attempts per season and whose shooting percentage was below 20% as Fatts is at 18%. Think about that for a minute, that translates to the worst among over 5000 players!!

No, as you said, lets use Fatts where his skill set is strong - ball handling, defensive skills, spark plug motivator.
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

I'd like to make a bad golf analogy.

If you have a golfer who is consistently slicing the ball, you don't have them go out and hit 200 balls to fix the problem. Instead you stop and fix the bad mechanics that are at the root of the damn problem.

When I hear Fatts needs to "shoot his way out" or Cyril is shooting 100's of FT's every morning, I cringe. Someone needs to step in and help them fix their mechanics, not encourage more shots.

Take it from me, world's crappiest golfer, until you fix the mechanics, repitition does little other than reinforce bad technique and habits. I think if CL had the right coach, he could EASILY improve his FT %.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NC_Ram wrote: 5 years ago I'd like to make a bad golf analogy.

If you have a golfer who is consistently slicing the ball, you don't have them go out and hit 200 balls to fix the problem. Instead you stop and fix the bad mechanics that are at the root of the damn problem.

When I hear Fatts needs to "shoot his way out" or Cyril is shooting 100's of FT's every morning, I cringe. Someone needs to step in and help them fix their mechanics, not encourage more shots.

Take it from me, world's crappiest golfer, until you fix the mechanics, repitition does little other than reinforce bad technique and habits. I think if CL had the right coach, he could EASILY improve his FT %.

The only problem with this theory is that they make the shots in practice.
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

DC, you're probably right.

I like Fatts (always have). IMO he believes he can shoot his way out of his current funk. I think that's one reason why he's jackin' em up from everywhere.

I also believe that CL's FT shooting could benefit greatly from some "Mechanics adjustment".
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NC_Ram wrote: 5 years ago DC, you're probably right.

I like Fatts (always have). IMO he believes he can shoot his way out of his current funk. I think that's one reason why he's jackin' em up from everywhere.

I also believe that CL's FT shooting could benefit greatly from some "Mechanics adjustment".
This team in practice looks like they could hang with any team in the country. On game day, they look like they can lose to any team in the country.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

The thing that gives me hope for next year is that the shooting issues are mostly mental and there is a cyclical/snowball effect there where the more you miss the more you press, and the more you press the more you miss. If so, maybe getting the reset that will come with the off-season and a fresh start next fall will help. I do think there is something to the idea that a lot of the struggles are mental, because honestly it is hard to believe that we have so many guys who are actually this bad at shooting. It is almost statistically impossible.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

The thing that gives me hope for next year is that the shooting issues are mostly mental and there is a cyclical/snowball effect there where the more you miss the more you press, and the more you press the more you miss. If so, maybe getting the reset that will come with the off-season and a fresh start next fall will help. I do think there is something to the idea that a lot of the struggles are mental, because honestly it is hard to believe that we have so many guys who are actually this bad at shooting. It is almost statistically impossible.

Solely mental. I truly believe that.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Time to hire a sports psychologist.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'd still like to know how many teams do heavy lifting during the season. Steph Curry is probably the best shooter in the world, maybe ever. Does he do heavy lifting during the season? I know nobody agrees with me on this, but even our high school coach only wanted us to lift in the off season. I just don't see how heavy lifting helps a shooter. Ok, kill me.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It’s not that I don’t agree with you, it’s just that I honestly don’t know enough to have a strong opinion. I’d be willing to look at everything at this point, though.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago I'd still like to know how many teams do heavy lifting during the season. Steph Curry is probably the best shooter in the world, maybe ever. Does he do heavy lifting during the season? I know nobody agrees with me on this, but even our high school coach only wanted us to lift in the off season. I just don't see how heavy lifting helps a shooter. Ok, kill me.
It might be something Billyboy. Because these guys are having trouble hitting the broadside of a barn. I can't remember ever seeing as many airballs as this team chucks up.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I feel like this is Steve Sax all of a sudden not being able to throw to first base...all between the ears. But, I would not rule out the lifting, as all possibilities should be looked into.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......if the shot hits the side/top of the back board, is that an air ball?......maybe we lead the nation in back board balls.....ouch
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Early in the season the poor shooting woes were attributed frequently to the sample size

Well we know how that went

Thompson was a 26% shooter his sophomore year. He still is. Nothing changing there.

Many of Fatts’ shots are way off. Not in and out.

Many shots are thrown up off balance or falling away. Jimmy Baron always squared up his shoulders with the basket. Great follow through. Continuously practiced the same format and beautiful follow through.

Watch our guys.

Dowtin has had to force quite a few 3’s because of shot clock expiration.

Many 3’s have been put up too early in the shot clock and farther back than necessary from the 3 point line.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Cox's only options are sitting on the bench and they are worse than those on the floor.

We are seeing effects of playing 30+ minutes per game. If Cox runs their legs off in practice this week, they will continue to play poorly. A week of light shooting practices is needed.

I still can't get over posters saying play Omar more and criticizing Cox for pulling him after 4 minutes on the floor against Dayton. He was a disaster on both ends of the court during those 4 minutes.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 5 years ago Cox's only options are sitting on the bench and they are worse than those on the floor.

We are seeing effects of playing 30+ minutes per game. If Cox runs their legs off in practice this week, they will continue to play poorly. A week of light shooting practices is needed.

I still can't get over posters saying play Omar more and criticizing Cox for pulling him after 4 minutes on the floor against Dayton. He was a disaster on both ends of the court during those 4 minutes.
Not sure I agree with what you are saying. Are you saying starters should play less than 30 minutes a game? Insane.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago I'd still like to know how many teams do heavy lifting during the season. Steph Curry is probably the best shooter in the world, maybe ever. Does he do heavy lifting during the season? I know nobody agrees with me on this, but even our high school coach only wanted us to lift in the off season. I just don't see how heavy lifting helps a shooter. Ok, kill me.
You could be into something, but many players like Michael Jordan and several nba players used to lift on the day of their games and obviously didn’t have a problem. Granted no one on our team should even be compared with a Jordan or any NBA player. I just think we have to face it that we don’t have good shooters. Who are we waiting for to come around-Fatts, Thompson, Cyril at the line or even Dowtin? Not going to happen. We are who we are. Fatts can go back to distributing and driving like he did a couple games. Thompson can play less minutes and cyril can work on simple mechanics I guess. Harris is one guy that we think can shoot and has great talent, but it keeps later and later in the season