3/11 | Davidson Wildcats | 1PM (CBS) (A10 Final)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 3/11 | Davidson Wildcats | 1PM (CBS) (A10 Final)

Unread post by RF1 »

No one but EC really stepped up today. Did not get enough from anyone else. Matthews was our only player in double digits for scoring.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

JT over the last 3 games. It is REALLY HARD to play 3 games in 3 days. With a little rest I think he'll be back to his Batman self.

In the meantime, it was great to see EC at his best.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Congrats to Davidson. I'm disappointed we didn't defend our championship, but happy Aldridge & Co are going to the dance. They are going to be a serious problem for someone as a likely 12 seed.

I think you could tell in the last 4 minutes that their season depended on the outcome and ours didn't. That was the difference. Easy to say when losing doesn't really cost you much, but I was proud of our effort even if our performance wasn't great. Fought our asses off despite having our C game on offense. Heart of a champion even without the championship result. Bring that kind of D next week and get any kind of offensive output and we will be a very tough out.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Grady is a stud. He has all the attributes of a college basketball star. Made two big 3s early in the second half to give them some separation and then their only FG in the last 14 minutes. I know he missed a couple layups in between, but he'll clean that up.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Grady is so annoying, lot of flopping and whining with that one.

People freaked out about kenpom predicting a Davidson win by one. How did that turn out? More accurate than Vegas on this one
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Grady is so annoying, lot of flopping and whining with that one.

People freaked out about kenpom predicting a Davidson win by one. How did that turn out? More accurate than Vegas on this one

you wouldn't take a Grady on your team?
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RhodyRam86 wrote:Grady is a stud. He has all the attributes of a college basketball star. Made two big 3s early in the second half to give them some separation and then their only FG in the last 14 minutes. I know he missed a couple layups in between, but he'll clean that up.
Agree that he's for reals. But did Davidson really make only 1 FG in the last 14 minutes?! How the hell could we lose that game?!?!
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Thankfully there is context here. Otherwise this would have went down as one of the toughest in quite some time if we needed this to get in.

Once we took the lead you just have to credit Davidsons defense (along with some luck and our putrid FT shooting). The EC turnover was brutal.

JT does what a lot of great players do...tries to will himself back in the game. Didn't work today.

Love this team. Off to what I assume will be the 8/9 line. Hey, at least if we win we don't have to play Duke. I feel like that is our worst matchup out of any team (maybe Purdue).

Also, Grady is the anti-Gibbs. More talented but way more of a flopping little beyotch.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

DC outscored URI 6-1 in the last 3:43 after EC made a three (56-52). Rhody could not close it out it as was also the case with the earlier Davidson and SBU games. Not a good sign to let three games slip away like that.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

RF1 wrote:DC outscored URI 6-1 in the last 3:43 after EC made a three (56-52). Rhody could not close it out it as was also the case with the earlier Davidson and SBU games. Not a good sign to let three games slip away like that.
Pretty much every team outside of the top 5 has let more than three games “slip away” like that
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Interesting contrast to last season. After the Fordham loss, the team went on a tear and breezed through the A-10 tourney winning all three games with energy. This year the team is riding high with top 25 ranking and then the 16 game winning is halted at Olean and including that game the team finishes the season with a 4-4 record. Other than the second half of the Dayton game, all four wins were excruciatingly close. The losses included a debacle that will live in the URI annals of infamy, another was a severe choke at the FT line, the other losses also were brought about by FT problems.

Now comes a decision, do you spend big bucks and endure all the hassles of travel to see this team play in the 2018 NCAAT given the performance trend of the last 2-3 weeks??
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Grady is so annoying, lot of flopping and whining with that one.

That's kind of a stupid point, though. The game could have easily been URI by 1, or 5, or Davidon by 3. They missed the score of the game by about 40 points, so as a predictive tool it was about as useless as always.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Obadiah wrote:Interesting contrast to last season. After the Fordham loss, the team went on a tear and breezed through the A-10 tourney winning all three games with energy. This year the team is riding high with top 25 ranking and then the 16 game winning is halted at Olean and including that game the team finishes the season with a 4-4 record. Other than the second half of the Dayton game, all four wins were excruciatingly close. The losses included a debacle that will live in the URI annals of infamy, another was a severe choke at the FT line, the other losses also were brought about by FT problems.

Now comes a decision, do you spend big bucks and endure all the hassles of travel to see this team play in the 2018 NCAAT given the performance trend of the last 2-3 weeks??
YES.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote:

He's tremendously talented, I would take him on URI. Doesn’t negate anything I said about how he plays. Do you think he wasn't whining and flopping?
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I wonder what they will be like next year.

#3 and Grady made tons of plays out there.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Mark Macon »

Sorry folks..this one is all on us. "Davidson won despite going nearly 13 minutes in the second half without making a field goal, an 0-for-11 drought that somehow did not prevent the Wildcats from celebrating at game's end. Davidson hasn't been to the NCAA tournament since 2015 -- and hasn't won a March Madness game since the Curry-led 2008 squad pulled off victories over Gonzaga, Georgetown and Wisconsin before bowing out against Kansas in the Elite Eight." ESPN.com
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Davidson hitting one field goal on th the final 14 min is a robbery by the refs for Uri to lose but what a run. Onto the big dance .
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I didn’t notice Grady whining or flopping. I don’t know that I’d care, anyways. Our guys show emotion after calls or no-calls that they don’t like, and they take enough charges that I’m sure other teams’ fans think we flop. That stuff doesn’t bother me much. I love Grady’s game.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
CTRamfan wrote:Bonnies a 9 seed, Davidson 10, us an 11...............Bonnies had the best group1-2 record, Davidson beat us twice at the end of the season.

Our "short comings" showed late in the year against three experienced coaches.....Still a really good year as a fan.
Tough loss to swallow with two possessions and needing 2 points to win a championship.

Fair point to me. Davidson did just beat URI twice in 10 days. Doesn't matter how close it was. We are so far from the 3-4 weeks ago seeding projections.

Still will be fun. Game at a time now.

Just want to highlight the good stuff today in preparing for the next game and then try to work with the bad stuff. If they can work on some stuff and tweak. Then get a handful of points out of it would be huge.
I don't think you are getting an 11 but you could argue an 11 is better then an 8/9.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Mark Macon wrote:Sorry folks..this one is all on us. "Davidson won despite going nearly 13 minutes in the second half without making a field goal, an 0-for-11 drought that somehow did not prevent the Wildcats from celebrating at game's end. Davidson hasn't been to the NCAA tournament since 2015 -- and hasn't won a March Madness game since the Curry-led 2008 squad pulled off victories over Gonzaga, Georgetown and Wisconsin before bowing out against Kansas in the Elite Eight." ESPN.com
I mean...I guess? If one play goes the other way, Davidson would have lost despite our going almost 16 minutes of game time with 10 points. It was a slug fest and they made one more play than we did. Both offenses struggled more than usual.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....play of late tells me we are not going into the Dance with much confidence and missing the “it” factor we clearly demonstrated in the conference run......gotta get JT back on track......we are not the same team we were before hell week.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I don't think an 11. I also don't want the 8/9 game like everyone else. Just agreeing that we have lost 2 games to Davidson. It's the truth.

Personally, I just know we have a tough game in a couple of days. It will be fun and it could lead to more. It could be the end. IDK. Watching the seeding will be fun.

I do know I got burned buying into small ball with Missouri and that 2 seed over 5 years ago. So I know that anytime those teams can come out and just get sent home. It is a boom or bust model. Our 5 guard lineup held Davidson to like zero points today. It also resulted in JT getting two fouls. Who wins there? No clue but we didn't win the game.

Additionally, we have the coaching drama to watch. So we have more stuff to look forward to here. Not many dull moments on KB.

I wonder what Rod would say about today.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

CTRamfan wrote:Bonnies a 9 seed, Davidson 10, us an 11...............Bonnies had the best group1-2 record, Davidson beat us twice at the end of the season.

Our "short comings" showed late in the year against three experienced coaches.....Still a really good year as a fan.
LOLWUT.

URI is either the last 7 or first 8 and Bonnies is a 10, same as it was this morning. This game isn’t going to cause them to go back and reseed teams. It wouldn’t even if we’d lost by 30, but a coin flip game is especially meaningless today. I think Davidson will be a 12 - like the highest autobid team that wouldn’t have been an at-large. They possibly could slip to 13.

If this game cost URI anything (beyond the hardware), it could be a 7 seed. They probably could have solidified their seed with a win, but if they were tied in the committees mind with another team on the 7/8 line then they could get bumped back to the 8 line.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Terrell only took five shots in the game. JD had him set up for a nice 3 from the wing with a minute left and he bobbled the ball. then, after the time out, knifed through the defense, but couldn't finish at the rim.

I questioned the minutes he played vs. VCU people snickered at me. I think it caught up to him and he looked tired the last 2 games.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

If URI comes out with any two players scoring points in the tournament, then the other team will have a tough draw pulling the keaney blue.

Our defense is almost always spot on. The key has been having at least two guys scoring points.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

He's tremendously talented, I would take him on URI. Doesn’t negate anything I said about how he plays. Do you think he wasn't whining and flopping?

To be honest, I wasn't looking for it, but I did not notice him whine or flop more than any other player on both teams today or in any other college game I've seen. Calls go both ways. He was called for a charge when Stan should have been called for a block so if he complained there I wouldn't blame him.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

8 seed means there are 28 other better teams in the country - I don’t see it, but I am sure we will get screwed on this. We still deserve the 6/7 seed line. We deserve to be above the seton halls of the world.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

So many players whine and flop these days...LeBron is one of the biggest whiners in the game...it actually bother me less than some of the bad haircuts you see. I mean, some of the 'do's that some of these players have, it's like, "man, I feel sorry for you...you need new friends...real friends wouldn't let you go out like that." Flopping...haircuts...it's all the same, in other words, no biggie....
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Mark Macon »

We are an 8-9 Seed. I'd bet Eddie-Eddie on it.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I don't think an 11. I also don't want the 8/9 game like everyone else. Just agreeing that we have lost 2 games to Davidson. It's the truth.

Personally, I just know we have a tough game in a couple of days. It will be fun and it could lead to more. It could be the end. IDK. Watching the seeding will be fun.

I do know I got burned buying into small ball with Missouri and that 2 seed over 5 years ago. So I know that anytime those teams can come out and just get sent home. It is a boom or bust model. Our 5 guard lineup held Davidson to like zero points today. It also resulted in JT getting two fouls. Who wins there? No clue but we didn't win the game.

Additionally, we have the coaching drama to watch. So we have more stuff to look forward to here. Not many dull moments on KB.

So we lost 2 games to an NCAAT team. Is that a negative?
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Very proud of what we’ve accomplished this season. We coulda woulda shoulda today. Davidson is a good team no doubt. I’m very hopeful we pull off a couple W’s in the tourney.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

In the big picture the game we choked up in NC a few nights ago probably hurt more than today’s loss from a seeding perspective.

Today was pretty much just a tournament rock fight.

Whatever, just roll out the basketball and play.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
For EC not to have the ball at the end of the game.

And no offense we love you ec but that has hardly ever worked out well in all these years and too much dribbling and no reason to back it out with all that time.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

EC was the only guy on the court who had been doing anything offensively. You could definitely make the case Berry should have been in there
OldSchoolRhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OldSchoolRhody »

Awesome run and bounce back from the last week of the regular season! Fun to watch this game knowing it was not our season on the line!

I was thinking Berry in at the end as well... just to give them something more to think about or softer hands for Dowtin to feed...

Bring on the MADNESS! What a great few seasons to be a URI fan! Cheers everyone and congrats Davidson... well played, well played sirs.
We're... We're going streaking! We're going up down the quad and to the gymnasium! Who is in? Let's Go Rhody!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

rhodylaw wrote:8 seed means there are 28 other better teams in the country - I don’t see it, but I am sure we will get screwed on this. We still deserve the 6/7 seed line. We deserve to be above the seton halls of the world.

not sure we deserve much better than an 8/9. since beating SBU 2 months ago we are 1-3 vs. top 100 in the RPI. don't think it matters anyway. from 7-12 anybody can beat anybody. all comes down to matchups.
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

The Fall of '99 (my freshman year) to 2016 me would have kicked the 2018 me in the balls if I complained about seeding after losing the A-10 title game by one point. Especially with the knowledge that we didn't have to win ONE game in the tourney to be in the dance, but won two anyway.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Disappointing ending.. We just are not great on out of bounds plays... Would have liked to seen berry in on that possession and the ball in dowtins hands.. He drives and gets a better shot or dishes to an open man that's why he's our point guard.. If u said we were going to hold Davidson to 58 points would have thought double digit win.. Jt and Stan need to play better offensively.. Here's hoping
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

mstyles22 wrote:The Fall of '99 (my freshman year) to 2016 me would have kicked the 2018 me in the balls if I complained about seeding after losing the A-10 title game by one point. Especially with the knowledge that we didn't have to win ONE game in the tourney to be in the dance, but won two anyway.
Yeah right there with you on this one (even the same years!).
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:8 seed means there are 28 other better teams in the country - I don’t see it, but I am sure we will get screwed on this. We still deserve the 6/7 seed line. We deserve to be above the seton halls of the world.

not sure we deserve much better than an 8/9. since beating SBU 2 months ago we are 1-3 vs. top 100 in the RPI. don't think it matters anyway. from 7-12 anybody can beat anybody. all comes down to matchups.
Not sure we deserve an 8/9 since before the SBU game we were the top 5 seed. A 7 seed would be about right. An 8/9 would be a fail on the committee.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ram1980 wrote:Disappointing ending.. We just are not great on out of bounds plays... Would have liked to seen berry in on that possession and the ball in dowtins hands.. He drives and gets a better shot or dishes to an open man that's why he's our point guard.. If u said we were going to hold Davidson to 58 points would have thought double digit win.. Jt and Stan need to play better offensively.. Here's hoping
See my signature for the play we shoulda run.....

:)
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:Interesting contrast to last season. After the Fordham loss, the team went on a tear and breezed through the A-10 tourney winning all three games with energy. This year the team is riding high with top 25 ranking and then the 16 game winning is halted at Olean and including that game the team finishes the season with a 4-4 record. Other than the second half of the Dayton game, all four wins were excruciatingly close. The losses included a debacle that will live in the URI annals of infamy, another was a severe choke at the FT line, the other losses also were brought about by FT problems.

YES.
Absolutely. Positively!!!!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seriously?

You think Davidson and Bonnies get higher seeds than uri?
URI ranked 25th
RPI well above both of those other teams
One of the toughest OOC scheduled in the nation
Ludicrous statement
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I personally don't care about the seeding as much as the title.

Titles are fun. Rarely do teams put together both the regular season and the conference tournament. Would have been a high note to go out on for EC Matthews. He played one of his best games this year. Very active.
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

TruePoint wrote:I didn’t notice Grady whining or flopping. I don’t know that I’d care, anyways. Our guys show emotion after calls or no-calls that they don’t like, and they take enough charges that I’m sure other teams’ fans think we flop. That stuff doesn’t bother me much. I love Grady’s game.
def noticed myself, throwing his head back repeatedly, throwing his hands up. going to be a great player but that kind of flopping rubbed me the wrong way, though im sure if he was wearing keaney blue i wouldnt complain
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree with those who said we lost the game at the line

Congrats to Davidson

Our execution at end of games still poor need to clean that up
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

True reef but we've had several games where we have hardly scored the last 3-4 minutes.

Not just FT issues.

The guys need to spend some time this week on the FT line though.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

Not sure we deserve an 8/9 since before the SBU game we were the top 5 seed. A 7 seed would be about right. An 8/9 would be a fail on the committee.

In hindsight I think we were over seeded to begin with. I believe we took advantage of a loophole in the system to get a high RPI by scheduling a bunch of mid majors in the 100-150 RPI range...at home. I don't think our resume is very strong otherwise. We have 1 top 100 win away from the Ryan Center and that was a neutral site. We have a total of 5 top 100 RPI wins. PC, a 10 seed has 3 wins against the top 5 in the RPI!
Last edited by RhodyRam86 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

hrstrat57 wrote:
ram1980 wrote:Disappointing ending.. We just are not great on out of bounds plays... Would have liked to seen berry in on that possession and the ball in dowtins hands.. He drives and gets a better shot or dishes to an open man that's why he's our point guard.. If u said we were going to hold Davidson to 58 points would have thought double digit win.. Jt and Stan need to play better offensively.. Here's hoping
See my signature for the play we shoulda run.....

:)

maybe not in this game, but we've gotten several layups on out of bounds plays this year,
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RhodysRelevant wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I didn’t notice Grady whining or flopping. I don’t know that I’d care, anyways. Our guys show emotion after calls or no-calls that they don’t like, and they take enough charges that I’m sure other teams’ fans think we flop. That stuff doesn’t bother me much. I love Grady’s game.
def noticed myself, throwing his head back repeatedly, throwing his hands up. going to be a great player but that kind of flopping rubbed me the wrong way, though im sure if he was wearing keaney blue i wouldnt complain
you wouldn't complain because Fatts does it all the time.