2015 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: 2015 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Ramulous »

Bill Coen would be a great coach for Fordham....maybe not sexy enough....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Ramulous wrote:Bill Coen would be a great coach for Fordham....maybe not sexy enough....
I agree. Fordham is not sexy enough……..

In all seriousness, Coen would never take that job, it would be a step down. He has more access to NYC players prepping in New England than he would to players living in NYC. He can compete for a championship/NCAA-bid nearly every year at Northeastern.
Also, O'Shea isn't leaving Bryant to go to the Bronx. He practically sold his soul to get back to Rhode Island. He loves what he does, where he does it. Provided he wins on a consistent basis and Machtley is Bryant's President, O'Shea is set for life.
Last edited by bressler3south 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

A10 should be ACTIVELY involved with this hire.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

A lot of Fordham fans are afraid that their administration is clueless about BB.

And no, they aren't getting Cluess.

From what I've read on their board, when they hired Pecora, he was the ONLY one they interviewed. The national "search process" was a sham.

This committee approach makes it seem like they will consider many candidates, but just how knowledgeable is this committee?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Glad it only took Fordham fans 20 years to start to think the admin is clueless about BB. Don't they have ANY influential alumns who no anything about the sport? Get involved Fordham or get lost.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Fordham will never be on a level playing field in the A10.

It's not that they can't afford to fund the program, they have shown no interest in upgrading their facilities. Pecora made as much, or even a little more than Dan this season.

As long as Rose Hill Gym is their home court, they are screwed. They will never be able to sustain a consistent talent level to succeed in this conference.

They do get good players once in a while, and they have 2 really good ones right now [Sengfelder and Paschall] but it's not enough.

Top level recruits see that gym, and it's bye-bye, for the most part.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

After a less-than-mortal coached game, I hereby end all "Shaka Smart Talk to Anywhere" for this season. He had the "JB Look" during overtime, the mouth hanging open, nothing coming out, both hands palms out…..
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Yeah....he had the same look as jb had in the NCAAT. hah!!!!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:Yeah....he had the same look as jb had in the NCAAT. hah!!!!
Let's see what JB looked like:
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The Fordham administration has shown a complete lack of insight on what its takes to run a decent basketball program. Their simplistic view is let's hire a coach and pay him a big salary, but do nothing else to support the program. That may be understandable for a school with few resources, but for a well endowed school like Fordham it is a sacrilege.

Good programs look at both the operating costs and the capital investment plans, differentiate between the two, and develop plans to fill the gaps found in both cost areas. And those plans must give top priority to any glaring and optically deficient problem which at Fordham is clearly Rose Hill. This is not rocket science so the fact that it's not getting done is firm evidence that the good fathers are not truly committed to a top notch basketball program.

Fordham should withdraw from the A-10 and join another conference - either the Patriot or MAAC.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The A10 should do it for them.

And bring Duquesne along with them.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yep. Sack Fordham and Dukes. 12 A10 teams next year. Do It!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Wonder if posters on other boards were talking about sacking URI after the 7 and 8 win seasons? Or after the jerry duh disasters.
Just because we are back feels to me that we should focus on ourselves versus trying to manage other schools out of the conference.
Plus once those 2-3 bottom schools depart there will be a10 schools that take those two last place slots.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

ATPTourFan wrote:A10 should be ACTIVELY involved with this hire.
Agree. It's important every time there's an opening that a good hire be made. As a group A10 has solid coaches.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramster, that's true other schools will take their place, but that doesn't mean they have to be 200+ RPI train wrecks.

Does the BE have any RPI killers? Only one that's close this year anyway.

It's all about quality programs with good facilities. I know some others in our conference don't have great facilities, but at least they represent themselves fairly well on the court.

St. Louis and Mason are down, but they shouldn't stay down for long. And their facilities are among the best in the conference.

Duquesne and Fordham have been drags for a long time. Do they have any hope of getting better?

The A10 should aspire to be a league where EVERY program is committed to success, and has a workable plan to do so.

I'd also like to see where our worst team, is no worse than 100-150 in the RPI. I think that's a realistic goal.

In a 12 team league that is.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Probably not but I just do not see the A10 commish stepping in and doing a Donald "your fired".
This subject seems to come up a lot but I'll eat my computer if mcglade lets either of these teams go in the next 5 years. They may go on their own but I think a million to one
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Another thing to consider is all sports, Fordham crushes us in football and the girls basketball is also strong. I know all us Keaney Blue board guys live and breath men's basketball like nothing else exists.......not sure what else exists in March but my god it sure feels great to be back in post season play!!!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:Wonder if posters on other boards were talking about sacking URI after the 7 and 8 win seasons? Or after the jerry duh disasters.
Just because we are back feels to me that we should focus on ourselves versus trying to manage other schools out of the conference.
Plus once those 2-3 bottom schools depart there will be a10 schools that take those two last place slots.
you mean the last decade of failure where we went to 5 or 6 NIT's?and went to the semi-finals in one year? Don't let the fanbase perception of a team cloud your vision on what a bad team is. We want bids to the Dance. They just want to be 500 on the year.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramster, I doubt the A10 will boot them too, but things could change if conference realignment rears it's ugly head again.

UMass is at least 50-50 to be gone after next season. Dayton's administration is rumored to be wooing the BE, for if and when they expand. That's if they can get Xavier to approve [that might be tough].

If the BE expands again, they aren't taking crap programs, that's for sure.

URI would jump in a second if they were invited. Don't let anybody fool you for a minute. Of course, PC might not want that, eh?
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I am still trying to figure out where UMass may go--please help me. Forget the AAC as the travel expenses are a killer for all sports and there in nothing attractive about their football program plus UConn will never agree.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You can't even compare a few bad years relatively speaking, to a 2-3 decade spell of futility for Duquesne and Fordham. Shit, during 1 of our losingest 2 year periods we built a 55 million dollar arena. Its less about their W-L record this year, or last or even the last 5. Its about 20 years of sucking, with no end in sight, and no sign of administrative commitment to the capital projects necessary in both places.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BAR, you summed it up as well as anybody.

I think it's a matter of time, I really do. Just don't think it will happen anytime soon, unfortunately.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

As a point of reference, Duquesne has experienced five winning seasons in the last 30 years, with four of them coming in recent years under Ron Everhart.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I've always wondered what the story was behind
the scenes with Ron Everhart's firing.
He did a nice job at Duquesne, as contrasted by those coaches who
went before him, and Ferry the last three years.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rod- have you ever seen this email? Knowing what has happened since, this is almost funny.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... l-to-board
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Almost ironic. What would Charles J. Dougherty have thought about
the three years since Everhart was fired?
Everhart only has one sub .500 season, his first.
He went to three tournaments, but never got past the
first round.
Still, that was light years better than their performance
since he left.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Reading that report I have to assume there was a personality conflict here because as you pointed out, rod, Eberhart had more success than any other Duquesne coach in that 30 year period. He had 4 winning seasons out of six with another at .500. He had two winning conference records. The preceding five coaches plus Ferry had produced two winning seasons (John Carroll and Jim Satalin) and ONE winning conference record. All in 30 years!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Obadiah wrote:As a point of reference, Duquesne has experienced five winning seasons in the last 30 years, with four of them coming in recent years under Ron Everhart.
And since Fordham has been the other team mentioned - According to Wiki and Basketball Reference, last NCAA appearance was 1992, when they won the Patriot League. They have not earned an at-large bid since the tournament expanded to 64 teams. Fordham last went to the NIT in 1991. They have not had a winning overall record since 2006-07, and 2005-06. This was the only time they were able to string together winning seasons since the aforementioned postseason appearances in 1991 and 1992. In their 20 seasons in the Atlantic 10, Fordham has had 10+ overall wins in only 10 seasons. Overall, their winning percentage is .309 in those 20 seasons. (I'm not sure if their "Atlantic 10 games only" percentage would be better or worse.)

EDIT: Also, an empty 20-win Jim Baron season would be a huge improvement for them. Their high since joining the Atlantic 10 is 18 wins.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

SGreenwell wrote:
Obadiah wrote:As a point of reference, Duquesne has experienced five winning seasons in the last 30 years, with four of them coming in recent years under Ron Everhart.
And since Fordham has been the other team mentioned - According to Wiki and Basketball Reference, last NCAA appearance was 1992, when they won the Patriot League. They have not earned an at-large bid since the tournament expanded to 64 teams. Fordham last went to the NIT in 1991. They have not had a winning overall record since 2006-07, and 2005-06. This was the only time they were able to string together winning seasons since the aforementioned postseason appearances in 1991 and 1992. In their 20 seasons in the Atlantic 10, Fordham has had 10+ overall wins in only 10 seasons. Overall, their winning percentage is .309 in those 20 seasons. (I'm not sure if their "Atlantic 10 games only" percentage would be better or worse.)

EDIT: Also, an empty 20-win Jim Baron season would be a huge improvement for them. Their high since joining the Atlantic 10 is 18 wins.
Worst part is that appearance was a fraud.

At that time the Patriot League was a no scholarships league. Fordham joined it and their team of scholarship level players were grandfathered past the rule, which allowed them to win the league.

That would be the same as us going to the Ivy League next year and winning it with this team.

Ironically it was that same move that destroyed the program. They were a damn good MAAC team. But the years of no scholarships just annhiliated their talent pipelines
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

SGreenwell wrote:

Baron would not get 20 wins at Fordham. He was clearly over his head in the A10 as a coach. He's middle of the pack as a MAAC coach.

I don't think anyone could get 20 wins at Fordham in the A10. That school needs to go.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

Wow a whole $5 million to almost nearly completely renovate their gym. No wonder he got fired with that kind of money being thrown around...
runninrams5
Steve Chubin

Unread post by runninrams5 »

Jay Laranaga has said he is not interested in the George Mason job
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

runninrams5 wrote:Jay Laranaga has said he is not interested in the George Mason job
Needs to make his own footsteps elsewhere…..
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

I found Fordham a new coach.

ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Cooley to Fordham?
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

rambone 78 wrote: I'd also like to see where our worst team, is no worse than 100-150 in the RPI. I think that's a realistic goal.
Realistic? The top 6 RPI conferences all have at least 2 teams with 150+ RPI's. Its not realistic at all for the A10. The A10 needs to have teams not be eternal doormats like Fordham and Duquesne. The difference with the A10 and the top RPI conferences is that our bottom feeders will always be bottom feeders. The A10 has done well to sustain the departures over the years and the current leadership of the conference will see to it that we remain relevant as a conference.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rick Ray is out at Mississippi State. It feels like he could have another coaching job next season if he wants it.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Despite Duquesne's 30 years of misery, there are some positives for the school. Pittsburgh is a large metro region of a manageable size unlike New York which has so much going on. The metro size and its community orientation is enough to support two top college teams. While Duquesne's Palumbo Center is not great, the Dukes have a fall back position in the Consol Energy arena. If they could raise the program profile, that venue could be used like PC uses the Dunk, and the Pittsburgh arena is so much better. Duquesne is also a good sized school of about 10,000 students with a good number living in campus residence halls. It has a decent size endowment and has no operating budget and enrollment issues like St. Bonaventure.

The school with no clue is Fordham and reading their message board amply supports that opinion. Duquesne strengths may not be overwhelming but they are a lot better than Fordham's and when you have a administration and fan base that substitutes rah-rah thinking for hard nosed logic, the Fordham problem turns acute.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyJay needs a sign next year that says:

Fordham Basketball
Patriot Conference Champions or A10 Doormat. Pick one.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The Fordham board is full of no clue dreamers.

They think Bobby might be interested. Sure.

Some also feel that PJ Carlissimo might come back from the dead and take the job. While they're at it, maybe they should give Tom or Digger a call? Ho ho.

They are right about one thing though. If this new hire flops, they aren't long for the A10.

Hiring a search firm reeks of desperation. Tells me that the administration there either doesn't have the confidence or the expertise to make the right call themselves.

Maybe the A10 office is even involved?
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Anyone else read Fordham AD Dave Roach's statement that Fordham is playing BC at Barclay's in the upcoming A10-ACC Challenge. If true, this would be a huge missed opportunity for the A10 to spotlight Fordham in one of these games.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reckless jake wrote:Anyone else read Fordham AD Dave Roach's statement that Fordham is playing BC at Barclay's in the upcoming A10-ACC Challenge. If true, this would be a huge missed opportunity for the A10 to spotlight Fordham in one of these games.

A battle of the bottom tier teams from each league. Unfortunately, it backs up my assertion that the top ACC teams would want no part of this deal. I guess this means the other ACC team for the doubleheader will come from among Va Tech, Ga Tech, Clemson, or Wake Forest.

Barclays must think having a local team might help attendance as the A-10 wouldn't want to showcase Fordham.
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not a single NYC area team would draw flies to MSG, let alone Fordham.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

rambone, the most disturbing Fordham discussion on their board was under the thread Vaccaro which referenced the damning NY Post article on the sacking of Pecora. There was one guy who thought renovating Rose Hill with better rest rooms and adding a food court would turn the program around!! And he was praised for the great ideas!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Howland should be at the top of every AD's list
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't like the thought of a successful Ivy coach being hired at a scholarship granting program.....my memory fades but show me one who successfully made the transition...
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Fran Dunphy has done alright with Temple
and Chuck Daily was a huge success at BC and the NBA.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I think Jones would be a good hire for Fordham. Bobby's name coming up a lot more in connection with DePaul
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Jones? Is KC still around?
I think Bobby is smart enough to avoid DePaul, regardless of $$$.