Big East expansion plans on hold

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Big East expansion plans on hold

Unread post by Ramulous »

(http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... etball.ece)

Evidently the new big east is happy with it's current configuration

"The Big East has tabled any expansion talk and clearly won’t be growing beyond 10 members anytime soon. The reasons are simple: 10 is the perfect basketball scheduling number, the 10-member Big 12 has shown that that number of schools can work splendidly in hoops, and TV partner Fox isn’t demanding any change in inventory."

Seems like the A-10 is stuck with it's current membership....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Re: Big East expansion

Unread post by bressler3south »

Ramulous wrote:(http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/content/20140607-kevin-mcnamara-rhodys-schools-maintaining-their-distance-in-basketball.ece)

Evidently the new big east is happy with it's current configuration

"The Big East has tabled any expansion talk and clearly won’t be growing beyond 10 members anytime soon. The reasons are simple: 10 is the perfect basketball scheduling number, the 10-member Big 12 has shown that that number of schools can work splendidly in hoops, and TV partner Fox isn’t demanding any change in inventory."

Seems like the A-10 is stuck with it's current membership....
Perhaps not. Just because the New Big Least has "the perfect basketball scheduling number…" does not mean the league is perfect. Far from it.
The A-10 could attempt to emulate the OBE and accrue as many very good to excellent basketball matches as possible…As has been pointed out before, with the NCAA Landscape about to experience a MAJOR EARTHQUAKE, it'll be "ANYTHING GOES." The sooner the smaller non-football traditionally basketball-oriented schools realize this, the better-off they'll be for it.
URI and the other A-10 schools should be leading the charge for a coast-to-coast basketball federation of 32 schools, merge their financial and academic resources, television and New Media products, and score a national umbrella network led by the likes of Netflix or Hulu or Microsoft, et al., which want to lead the Next Generation of Delivery Platforms in the worst way. Such a proactive maneuver would place them in the hands of "THE NEXT BIG THING."
Watch. It's going to happen, and it would be a damn shame if URI were left out of an opportunity because someone or a group decided it that way a la the "last time."
THAT'S WHY URI MUST BE VISIONARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The NCAA will not be the same even two-to-three years from now-- including everyone's beloved BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT -- the football schools will be screwing with a BASKETBALL TRADITION!!!!!!!!!
(Please see previous posts concerning this topic. Thanks…)
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Interesting considering all we heard from the Big East/PC fans last year was about how they were definite to expand even further.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Kind of a poorly written first part of that article. Is it just me or does he really not lay out any type of solid argument for what he is promoting? Regarding URI, "a matchup with Bryant makes too much sense not to happen." Ok, but why? There's some vague notion of "growing the game locally" and the talk of, basically, Bryant not being too awful to play. Then, he downplays PC saying that they had better offers and existing contracts, which seems to be true. Establishing and maintaining winning programs grows the game for these programs, not necessarily playing each other.

"Why worry about fickle crowds and media coverage when you can draw up schedules focused more on piling up wins."

I'm not even sure what this means.

Brown isn't even mentioned by name. Is this article really just a plug for URI and PC to play Bryant? Such a strange piece.
Last edited by ace 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Just because there isn't a rush to expand doesn't mean they won't expand. I think the Big East likes the current configuration, but as Ramster said, that doesn't mean it works, or will work. If the Big East has another season like this one, it will further pressure to expand and try to bring in quality programs as a way of boosting RPIs and opportunity for bids. If the Big East is putting 5 or 6 in the tournament, it lessens pressure to expand, because they can say their system on FS1 works. I still believe it's not a matter of if, but when.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Big East expansion plans on hold

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Ace: just KMac carrying Tim Oshea's water. Tim's a nice guy and the media likes him.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yep, agree Ace and Iggy. Just one of those KMac pieces where there seemed to be a deadline and there wasn't much to discuss... so why not give Timmy a platform to say how his team isn't terrible and are actually "dangerous". It's like an advertisement for Bryant basketball.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

There is some resentment in Kingston toward Bryant. Particularly with a few football players choosing Bryant over URI. One local player said facilities made his choice easy.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I like O'Shea. And it would be good for the state if they played. Not sure Hurley agrees.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

How much $$ does Bryant expect for a buy-game at the Ryan Center? Since there's no way Rhody will go home and home with them, would anyone expect that Dan Hurley would want to pay Bryant to come down here as a buy game when with the reduced OOC schedule, any buy-games have to be virtual locks for wins?

Rhody doesn't do many buy-games anymore, for a variety of reasons but mostly because they are very expensive now and A10 has some stricter RPI rules in place since the opening of the Ryan Center.

So the buy games we will see will be the types where Rhody can have a tune-up type win where even if they don't play their best, but it's a still going to be a win. Yes, Bryant is dangerous and Rhody is not in a position to pay a team like that to come down and put a pencil-in-win at risk.

It's the same reason why Power conf teams would be weary of scheduling Rhody as a buy-game... they're too dangerous and not worth the risk.

(we're all thankful for LSU for taking the risk last season, and Auburn the season before)
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Looked like it was just a way for O'Shea and KMac to praise PC and'take
shots at URI.
We don't need Bryant, or O'Shea.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

someone told me that O'Shea is KMAC'S brother in law...do not know if this is true...someone????
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

I'd rather play Bryant than Maine, Yale, Central Connecticut, Umass Lowell, Vermont, etc.
Go Rhody!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I think I agree with Andrew, and I would look at it as a good ooc game, RPI value aside. Just by the virtue of proximity I would think the 'underdog' team would be extra 'up' for these local match-ups. We already play Brown and PC, why not Bryant? I'm almost always pleased by the level of intensity in these 'local' games. Brown V PC is the only other Brown game I make a point to watch because there is always a chance for an upset. The programs that shy away from scheduling potential 'upset' games are the one's many of us have issues with, in terms of their weak ooc schedules.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Re: local opponents in New England, and nearby N.Y.
Other than maybe VT., I don't think we bought any past games with these schools.

Final 2013-14 RPI and school

27...UMass
44...Harvard
47...PC
59...Manhattan
60...Iona
89...BU
105..Yale
107..Quinnipiac
108..Vermont

I'd pick anybody on the list that we don't play[UMASS/PC] over Bryant. Schedueling should be to help us get to the NCAA's. That is why UConn doesn't play sub 150 CT. rpi's any more.

Hurley said last week at Rhody Joe's, "that the schedueling has been harder than recruiting".
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I have no opinion on the Rhode Island teams playing each other, but those of you who advocate URI playing Bryant- on this thread and others- have made a much better case for it than that article did.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ace wrote:I have no opinion on the Rhode Island teams playing each other, but those of you who advocate URI playing Bryant- on this thread and others- have made a much better case for it than that article did.
Yeah. To me, the case for playing Bryant is simple - It replaces one of those games against Vermont or Maine or Central Connecticut or UMass-Lowell or Lubbock Christian that pretty much every team plays every year. I also think it makes sense to have RIC be one of the yearly exhibition games, or some other lower division RI school.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhodekill wrote:someone told me that O'Shea is KMAC'S brother in law...do not know if this is true...someone????
I've known Beth O'Shea for years and she never mentioned anything about Li'l Kevie.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

O'Shea set up Lil Kevie with his now wife. Who is from a wealthy family. Rhode Island nepotism at its best with this article.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

McNamara's wife is Terry Murray's daughter. They've been married for a long time. Don't believe O'Shea, who was a Rhody assistant at the time, had anything to do with it. (Unless, his second job was as Murray's caddy.)
And, if you want to continue the ProJo Banking Line, Mike Szostak (a real gentleman) is married to Anne, who was Terry Murray's anointed successor at Fleet.
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

bressler3south wrote:McNamara's wife is Terry Murray's daughter. They've been married for a long time. Don't believe O'Shea, who was a Rhody assistant at the time, had anything to do with it. (Unless, his second job was as Murray's caddy.)
And, if you want to continue the ProJo Banking Line, Mike Szostak (a real gentleman) is married to Anne, who was Terry Murray's anointed successor at Fleet.
HEY! I used to caddy for Murray and McNamara! Decent loop.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

URI_IEP wrote: HEY! I used to caddy for Murray and McNamara! Decent loop.
Very decent loop. Speaking of which, McNamara played in the same group as Big Ed Cooley yesterday...
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

sf2010 wrote:
Very decent loop. Speaking of which, McNamara played in the same group as Big Ed Cooley yesterday...
Has Hurley been invited to PJCC yet?
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

The biggest problem with playing Bryant, other than giving free exposure to a lesser program in your own market makes zero sense, is that once you start playing them, you can't stop. People on this board love the idea of 3 fixed out of conference games for some reason, but coaches don't. If we play Yale or Quinnipiac to fill out the schedule, we don't have to ever play them again. If we play Bryant, now its an annual game or we're opening the door to criticism for backing out.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

URI_IEP wrote:
sf2010 wrote:
Has Hurley been invited to PJCC yet?
I've seen Don Kaull there before a few times, and the URI golf team practices and plays there all the time. Haven't seen Hurley though, unclear about a membership offer either. Kinda doubt it.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

One of my other understandings about the situation with Bryant is while they would enjoy games against PC and URI, they also prefer bigger buy games than what is offered locally. They played Gonzaga, Notre Dame, and Ohio St. last year, and I was told they prefer a lineup like that, than the one they played the year before against Indiana, PC, and BC.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

sf2010 wrote:
I've seen Don Kaull there before a few times, and the URI golf team practices and plays there all the time. Haven't seen Hurley though, unclear about a membership offer either. Kinda doubt it.

If my memory serves me right, a country club or beach club membership is part of the total compensation package to the URI head coach. The booster club may pick up the tab. I think Baron opted for the Quidnessett CC. Not sure if Dan is much of a golfer. With a wife and young kids, a beach membership at some place like Bonnet Shores might be better suited for his family.
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

RF1 wrote: Not sure if Dan is much of a golfer.
He doesn't strike me as one. The foot stomp after missing a three-footer for par would mark up the putting surface pretty good...
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

sf2010 wrote:
RF1 wrote: Not sure if Dan is much of a golfer.
He doesn't strike me as one. The foot stomp after missing a three-footer for par would mark up the putting surface pretty good...

Plus he'd probably need unbreakable clubs.
Carl K Tortella
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Carl K Tortella »

I AM BACK !!! Screw Bryant, the scribes @ the Blowjo esp, K Mc AND his spouse and any and all of their ilk who have been URI's detractors forever and a day; for as long as I can remember. I'm now in my sixties ! Maybe they can tell us for the millionth time All the things that we are not suppose to be able to accomplish with our 2 major sports of basketball and football , like what minority kid would want to go to Kingston . What as opposed to cosmopolitan Providence and all the rest of their BS that they have been promoting for decades . We were always suppose to be satisfied in their eyes with a lowered bar. Of course it didn't help our cause that most of the political hacks of the past running URI went right along with them . Well NOT anymore baby !!!! By the way reference my Oct. 2013 new big east prognostication which was right on . Next year that group will even be worse . Brad and Buzz are gone . Does the Creighton coach have another son ? The also rans are still the also rans and Bryce Cotton is not walking through the door . What a surprise that there is NO expansion . The league really sucks !! Now the A 10 should grab Georgetown and really make the little east a lower mid major .
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Dan says he stinks at golf, hates the beach and has no hobbies.

Carl baby! Welcome back!
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

But he excels at self-deprecation.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

ace wrote:But he excels at self-deprecation.

I heard that this guy's grandson is looking for an assistant coaching gig!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ-tt0KTVt8

There's certainly a connection……..And if native Rhode Islander Ted Knight has hooping grandson in the area, we'd love to hear from him, too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaqGBF9nUb8
A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I noticed Caddyshack was on TV and thought "eureka…maybe I should take some pics and use them as a comedic comparison to the A-10, Big East and URI"…so here I am. Total coincidence. Now, here I am browsing the site only to see that bressler3south has beat me to the punch with relation to posting some Caddyshack material. Sad face. :(
But…I'm going to post it anyway.

"Now I know why Tigers ear their young"...Says the A10 in a couple years, referencing the Big East
IMG_0796.JPG
"Cinderella story, at Augusta……..It's in the hole! It's in the hole!"…URI the next few years…hopefully the next NCAA Tournament Cinderella story. Wonder what the chances of getting Bill to say this at a tourney send off event? Hmm….get crack'n Athletic Department.
Excuse me while I go find some wood to knock on.
IMG_0809.JPG
IMG_0814.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

you were watching caddyshack as well?
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

What happens when the Big East TV contract is up and they are offered less money in present value terms? Would the networks become worried about offering less (the true market rates) because some of the teams might jump ship? Would this drive down the contract even further?
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

The Dude wrote:I noticed Caddyshack was on TV and thought "eureka…maybe I should take some pics and use them as a comedic comparison to the A-10, Big East and URI"…so here I am. Total coincidence. Now, here I am browsing the site only to see that bressler3south has beat me to the punch with relation to posting some Caddyshack material. Sad face. :(
But…I'm going to post it anyway.

"Now I know why Tigers ear their young"...Says the A10 in a couple years, referencing the Big East

"Cinderella story, at Augusta……..It's in the hole! It's in the hole!"…URI the next few years…hopefully the next NCAA Tournament Cinderella story. Wonder what the chances of getting Bill to say this at a tourney send off event? Hmm….get crack'n Athletic Department.
Excuse me while I go find some wood to knock on.
SHOULD BE ENTITLED: "HOW BILL MURRAY STOLE THE SHOW BY SAYING, 'IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE!'" ETC.,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LH8qisTVj0&safe=active

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

If I ever get to Hollywood, I'm going to spend a day touring the Bressler Production studio....