12/13 | UMass Lowell | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

12/13 | UMass Lowell | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs University of Massachusetts Lowell
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Tuesday, December 13, 2022
7:00PM

Media
TV: YurView
Online: ESPN +
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network

Previews:
UMass Lowell Fan Forum

The University of Rhode Island look to build on this weekend’s win over Army with a home tilt against UMass Lowell. The River Hawks come into this game with a blistering 11-1 record with wins at Brown & at UMass Amherst. Two of their wins are against non-D1 teams (both 50+ blowouts), but 7 of their 9 wins have been by double-digits. There only loss on the season came at Rutgers where they lost by just 8 points.

Junior Max Brooks was picked as a preseason all-conference team, but has struggled to stay out of foul trouble this season. If he does stay out of foul trouble, he could be tough to defend downlow as he is shooting an impressive 66% from the floor. He is also a very solid defender with almost 2 blocks per game. Fifth year senior Everette Hammond is leading the River Hawks in scoring with 13 a game. This teams shares the ball well with 6 players averaging over 8 points per game. Those numbers are a bit inflated given they surpassed 100 in their 2 non-D1 games. La Salle transfer Ayinde Hikim runs the offense, averaging over 4 assists but game but is turnover prone, averaging almost 4 a game. Rhody can play off him on defense, daring him to shoot from 3 as he is just 1 for 12 on the season. The two main deep threats are the aforementioned Hammond & Yuri Covington, who are both shooting it at 45%. On the plus side, the River Hawks are averaging more turnovers per game than Rhody (15.7/15.1). These turnovers could lead to some breakouts.

As for Rhody, Jalen Carey was a much-needed spark off the bench after missing the last 5 games due to injury. He went for 12/6/5 & the best number in my mind was just the 1 turnover. Hopefully he can become a reliable scorer which will take some of the burden off Ish & Bray. Ish once again had a great game, notching his first career double-double. I am looking forward to this game Tuesday night because I think it is going to be a close one & is a good test before starting conference play at the end of the month. The River Hawks are going to give Vermont & Bryant a run for their money in winning the America East

I think UMass Lowell will be favored by a point or two given how well they are playing. Will Rhody have enough to pull out the victory? I hope so, but I think they falter late. My prediction is UMass Lowell 69 – URI 67. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
11-1, 0-0 in the America East
15-16, 7-11 in the America East (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 57 (286)
RPI: 86 (250)
KenPom: 118 (196)
BPI: 95 (245)
Sagarin: 119 (198)
Barttovik: 123 (213)

Leaders:
Points – Everette Hammond 13.0 (Sr., G)
Rebounds – Abdoul Karim Coulibaly 8.6 (Jr., F)
Assists – Ayinde Hikim 4.3 (Jr., G) (3.8 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 2-0
H: 1-0, A: 1-0, N: 0-0
Most Recent Matchup: 11/16/14 72-56 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 2 - URI
Match-up Predictor: 32.9% Chance of URI Winning
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 12/13 | UMass Lowell | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by section(105) »

Team Rankings now says; their #206 ranked, #13 A-10 URI has 38% chance to win over their #105 ranked UML.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cox recruited Coulibaly when he was 2019 Class

Averaging 12.5 ppg and 8.6 rpg

http://keaneyblue.com/search.php?keywor ... d%5B0%5D=8
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Thanks Spooky, good summary.

UML has plenty of experience and well balanced with guard play and length.
They have also outrebounded their opponents by over double-digits.

I expect a very tough game and will be pleasantly surprised if we pull out a victory.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Never thought I'd see the day where the Rams are underdogs at home vs Lowell.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago Never thought I'd see the day where the Rams are underdogs at home vs Lowell.
Can't say I ever thought I'd see the day where UMass Lowell was a top 100 team...11-1!?

Wild times.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

In case anyone else was wondering - One-time Ram Gregory Hammond is now playing D-II ball for Southern Arkansas, after two years as a bench player for UMass-Lowell. He's averaging about 20 MPG, 10.5 PPG, 5.0 RPG on 47 percent shooting, 26.1 from deep. So, he's seemingly found the appropriate team and level.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

They are very good. Prob the best team we will have played besides K State, PC. About even with Tulane. Will we be home dogs?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Best UMASS-Lowell team ever?
GO RAMS
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago They are very good. Prob the best team we will have played besides K State, PC. About even with Tulane. Will we be home dogs?
I bet the line opens with UML as 1 or 2 point favorites
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Beating them would actually be really impressive right now.

Watched them play UMass and the thing that jumped our at me was their skill and athleticism was at an A-10 level. Top half A-10.

UMass could not just overpower them, I mean if they had Fernandes I think they win, bit it still would have been very close.

We got to be strong with the ball because their PG is a pest. Had several steals that led to fast break points. He's also like 5'10 and can windmill dunk.

Then they have Coulibaly whose probably better than any of our bigs right now

They have two wings who can shoot it at an elite level

Every time UMass made a run they made a clutch play to keep them at arms length.

We have our work cut out for us.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I agree, PRT.

From what I saw of their game against UMass, they looked like a tough, mature team that plays well on the road and able to withstand runs.

Tough game and a good measuring stick game for Rhody. We will pretty much need all of our metrics on O (in shooting %, free throw %, rebounding margin, turnovers, shot distribution, scoring distribution, etc ) to be better than average and our D to be solid. In short, we need an excellent game on both sides of the ball to grab a win, I think.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

As a reminder - Shaidzon will be open from 4-7 to accommodate Rhody fans.
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I think Archie uses being an underdog at home as a major motivating factor. UMass-Lowell SOS = 267, URI SOS = 184. They shoot and rebound really well but turn the ball over more than URI. We'll see if we have turned a corner.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

spookydog wrote: 1 year ago As a reminder - Shaidzon will be open from 4-7 to accommodate Rhody fans.
stay thirsty
:lol:
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago I think Archie uses being an underdog at home as a major motivating factor. UMass-Lowell SOS = 267, URI SOS = 184. They shoot and rebound really well but turn the ball over more than URI. We'll see if we have turned a corner.
I hope it motivates URI but it depresses me.
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago They are very good. Prob the best team we will have played besides K State, PC. About even with Tulane. Will we be home dogs?
I think so maybe a 2 point dog ??
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

This will be a tough one as UML is on a nine game win streak, but if URI does pull it out, it will have a big positive effect on the season.

UML can shoot the 3 pointer very well and have 4 guys who hit at a 40%+ clip . Against UMass they were hot at 11-2, 50%+, not so great in their lone loss of season to Rutgers where they went 4-18. They are prone to TO's - against UMass had 20, 19 in Brown game and 16 vs. Rutgers. Those three were the toughest opponents on schedule. Their nine other opponents were less than stellar and have a combined W-L well below .500
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Excellent Opponent but tickets can be had for $4.
Our slow start is not good for putting live bodies in seats unfortunately
746FB83F-4A08-4335-AF74-4DB359438D4A.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Excellent Opponent but tickets can be had for $4.

UMass Lowell is by no means an “excellent opponent” to the casual fan.

They aren’t bringing anyone in off their name alone.
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Are we making progress? Are we really the 198 th best team in the country? (Sagarin).

Lowell is something like in the 125 spot for Sagarin.If we are making progress, we should be able to win. If not , 🙈
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago In case anyone else was wondering - One-time Ram Gregory Hammond is now playing D-II ball for Southern Arkansas, after two years as a bench player for UMass-Lowell. He's averaging about 20 MPG, 10.5 PPG, 5.0 RPG on 47 percent shooting, 26.1 from deep. So, he's seemingly found the appropriate team and level.
I just looked him up a few days ago and was reminiscing about how his family came on KB and trash talked about how we would never get another player from Louisiana!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago In case anyone else was wondering - One-time Ram Gregory Hammond is now playing D-II ball for Southern Arkansas, after two years as a bench player for UMass-Lowell. He's averaging about 20 MPG, 10.5 PPG, 5.0 RPG on 47 percent shooting, 26.1 from deep. So, he's seemingly found the appropriate team and level.
You can make a long (not Meki Long) list of players who David Cox recruited who did not make at URI and also when they left URI. The diamonds are few.
That is why his teams declined steadily from Year 1 to Year 4 (and the legacy continues into this season)

He was not a good recruiter. The same David Cox and Staff Coached all 4 years, calling Timeouts after made baskets, allowing players to play as they wished, not having good plays drawn up at end of game, etc. The bottom line is that the overall incoming talent decreased steadily year 1 to year 4. Not the players fault that David Cox offered them the opportunity to play at URI.

Did Dan Hurley improve as a Coach during his years at URI? Sure, but the biggest contributor to Hurley's success at URI was his recruiting expertise. Saw Dan and Luke Murray at AAU Games/Tournaments where they would be the first to arrive and the last to leave. They are doing the something now UCONN - recruiting top notch players.

EC Mathews, Hassan Martin, Kuran Iverson, Stanford Robinson, Jeff Dowtin, Cyril Langevine were all Top 150 Ranked Players with good work ethics. Their talent was why we performed so well under Hurley. The talent just has not been there the last 5 years here unfortunately. But that will change.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago Excellent Opponent but tickets can be had for $4.

UMass Lowell is by no means an “excellent opponent” to the casual fan.

They aren’t bringing anyone in off their name alone.
At NET 57, UMASS-Lowell comes in easily the highest ranked OOC Home Opponent

If URI Basketball Fans want to see a solid opponent, then this Tuesday night is our highest NET Opponent of the season - and that includes all of the A10 Teams that will visit in A10 play. Those are the facts as hard as they are to digest this year.

57-UMass Lowell
103-PC
114-Quinnipiac
168-Milwaukee
212-Brown
217-Texas State
301-Army
357-Stony Brook
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
You can make a long (not Meki Long) list of players who David Cox recruited who did not make at URI and also when they left URI. The diamonds are few.
That is why his teams declined steadily from Year 1 to Year 4 (and the legacy continues into this season)

He was not a good recruiter. The same David Cox and Staff Coached all 4 years, calling Timeouts after made baskets, allowing players to play as they wished, not having good plays drawn up at end of game, etc. The bottom line is that the overall incoming talent decreased steadily year 1 to year 4. Not the players fault that David Cox offered them the opportunity to play at URI.

Did Dan Hurley improve as a Coach during his years at URI? Sure, but the biggest contributor to Hurley's success at URI was his recruiting expertise. Saw Dan and Luke Murray at AAU Games/Tournaments where they would be the first to arrive and the last to leave. They are doing the something now UCONN - recruiting top notch players.

EC Mathews, Hassan Martin, Kuran Iverson, Stanford Robinson, Jeff Dowtin, Cyril Langevine were all Top 150 Ranked Players with good work ethics. Their talent was why we performed so well under Hurley. The talent just has not been there the last 5 years here unfortunately. But that will change.
I actually think Dowtin and Cyril were outside the top 150. If I remember correctly Cyril was 3 star ranked in the 300s and Jeff was around 250ish. Just another example why these rankings don’t really mean much.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago

I actually think Dowtin and Cyril were outside the top 150. If I remember correctly Cyril was 3 star ranked in the 300s and Jeff was around 250ish. Just another example why these rankings don’t really mean much.
Technically you could say they were outside the Top 150, but talent wise, work ethic wise and basketball IQ wise they turned out to be Top 100 talents. I could say Jermaine Harris and Elijah Wood were Top 100 ESPN Players, but they were not and neither one is playing D1 Basketball today.
That is where Hurley excelled. He got players who were Top 100, even if the "experts" might say they were not. Hurley saw them play many times in person before he brought them on board.

In addition, Dowtin at St John's College HS, Langevine at The Patrick School and Russell at Imhotep Charter all had their teams in the Top 20 of the USA Today Top 25. They played top competition both in HS and in AAU. Hurley had plenty of opportunities to see them play against strong competition.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

UML by 7
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I refuse to believe that UML could ever beat URI.
NCAAs or Bust!
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago I refuse to believe that UML could ever beat URI.
how quickly we forget Q and Brown.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago
how quickly we forget Q and Brown.
Plus Texas St.

With that being said, Rhody by 5.
Go Rhody
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rhody wins this and entire perspective on things change.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Well this is a nice way to set up a hot take one way or the other
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago Rhody wins this and entire perspective on things change.
Eh, not for me.

Beating UMass Lowell at home as a 2 point underdog doesn’t really move the needle.

I’m sure others would feel the same way.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago Rhody wins this and entire perspective on things change.
It would definitely be a confidence builder for the team.
But not sure that would change the entire perspective.
This season will still be an uphill struggle.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I think going forward, with the fact that the player market is so much more open, everyone should probably try their best to push past their bias when it comes to the "name" of a school and just look at the pedigree of their roster. Of UMass-Lowell's top five in MPG, only one (Allin Blunt) is a non-transfer. The other four, two transferred down and two transferred up. The biggest factor in transferring is probably always going to be MPG, and that's one thing that a "lower" conference school can always offer a player.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Looking forward to attending my first game of the year, in someone else's really good seats...!
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I think going forward, with the fact that the player market is so much more open, everyone should probably try their best to push past their bias when it comes to the "name" of a school and just look at the pedigree of their roster. Of UMass-Lowell's top five in MPG, only one (Allin Blunt) is a non-transfer. The other four, two transferred down and two transferred up. The biggest factor in transferring is probably always going to be MPG, and that's one thing that a "lower" conference school can always offer a player.
Let's do that then.

Those transfers are from

South Carolina Upstate
Pitt/St Bonnies
La Salle
Merrimack

Not exactly the cream of the crop.

Beating a school with players from those schools, along with those originally from UMass Lowell, won't change the seasons outlook for me.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

This would be Archie's best win as our head coach. I think it'll go down to the wire, and if we limit our turnovers, we can win. If you make mistakes against this team, they will take advantage.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Good write up on the game by Chris Disano

RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

^Thanks for the link BAR, good article.
Mobley was fouled.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

What changes?? Are we at such a low point that a home win over Umass Lowell is considered our big achievement. This is still a bad team with below average talent. The only thing of value going forward is to find who can play and who will be moving on
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
What changes?? Are we at such a low point that a home win over Umass Lowell is considered our big achievement. This is still a bad team with below average talent. The only thing of value going forward is to find who can play and who will be moving on
Um - we're rebuilding and UMass Lowell is 11-1 with a win over (what looks like) one of the best teams in our conference.

So yeah, beating a fringe top 100 team would be a pretty good win considering the realities of this rebuild and the confidence it would give to our players approaching conference play.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

So who’s calling radio on varsity? Disano and stone? You’d think those guys should be the TV crew

If that’s the case my only thought is varsity network is paying us and it includes them doing the games
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Um - we're rebuilding and UMass Lowell is 11-1 with a win over (what looks like) one of the best teams in our conference.

So yeah, beating a fringe top 100 team would be a pretty good win considering the realities of this rebuild and the confidence it would give to our players approaching conference play.
They are #57 Ranked, we are #287 Ranked using NEt which is the NCAA Ranking System.

Tonight would be a good win. Highest Ranked Team to visit the Ryan Center this year.

Rankings: UMASS-Lowell (URI):
NCAA NET: 57 (286)
RPI: 86 (250)
KenPom: 118 (196)
BPI: 95 (245)
Sagarin: 119 (198)
Barttovik: 123 (213)
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Given that this team has struggled heavily to even stay in the game with PC or Kansas State if they can pull out a win tonight its a big deal to me. This is a year of rooting for small incremental progress. Winning this game would be solid progress forwards.

Also add on the fact the UMass lost to UML already and I have been reading soooooo many UMASS fans going on and on about being second best team in the conference and how URI is shit (true but still) it would be beautiful to beat a team that UMASS lost to lol
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Eh, not for me.

Beating UMass Lowell at home as a 2 point underdog doesn’t really move the needle.

. What needle are we talking about. If we are talking about national recognition etc- of course not ,but , if we are talking about weather the team is making” Progress”:a win here means the answer is YES
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
Eh, not for me.

. What needle are we talking about. If we are talking about national recognition etc- of course not ,but , if we are talking about weather the team is making” Progress”:a win here means the answer is YES
Yes, absolutely progress.

Original post was "entire perspective on things change" and I don't see that as the case at all.
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

To say the whole entire perspective would change is ridiculous in my opinion. How good do you really think Umass Lowell is and we know that the A-10 is a one bid league. Would it be nice to get a win-sure, but I think we can get carried away with things. This would still be a home win over Umass Lowell.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

To say the whole entire perspective would change is ridiculous in my opinion. How good do you really think Umass Lowell is and we know that the A-10 is a one bid league. Would it be nice to get a win-sure, but I think we can get carried away with things. This would still be a home win over Umass Lowell.
Sounds like you still havent accepted the current state of this team then.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It's simple

Lowell is practically as good as anyone we will play in the Atlantic 10 this year

Beating them would be a huge step from barely beating the dregs of division 1 and signal we have the potential we can compete with the top half of the A-10 THIS YEAR.