DiSano: How bad is it?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

DiSano: How bad is it?

Unread post by PeteRI »

It's bad:
- #318 in country for unforced turnovers
- #207 in country for offensive efficiency
- #12 in A10 for offensive efficiency

We also put the wrong lineups in - obviously.

https://www.yurview.com/featured/inside ... ent-slide/
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: DiSano: How bad is it?

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

It's bad, kids. Real bad.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The unforced turnovers was the most damaging fact I saw. Tons of miscommunication and bad decisions.
GO RAMS
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Wow, those numbers are HORIBLE! Blow the whole thing up...I'm serious.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Only 318 for uncofrced turnovers?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Imagine that you’re Boston College, and at least technically you are an ACC basketball program, and you lost to this team twice in one week lol
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Chris needs to start questioning the coaching decisions more, it's more than just the rotations.

I know it's not in his DNA to directly trash coaches, but some things need to be said.

Our team stinks...we get that.....and it's on the coach, he recruited them and supposedly is developing them.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Only tough questions I’ve ever heard asked are from Morey H.
Publishing statistics doesn’t ask the tough questions.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

In Chris’s defense, what questions are necessary? “Why are you so bad?” The statistics speak for themselves and accomplish every bit as much - if not more - than asking questions intended to humiliate or embarrass someone you’ve known for a long time and almost certainly like on a personal level and who you have to maintain a professional relationship for at least some amount of time longer.

Media dorks think they’re tough guys when they “ask tough questions” but only freaks think that stuff is cool. I appreciate Chris’s approach and wish more media people would take it. If a tough question would actually produce important information for your audience, ask away. But again, Chris gets to the point by sticking strictly to facts - more effective and more graceful at the same time.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

"What's the deal with timeouts?
Why do you sometimes lose the use-it-or-lose-it timeout in the first half?
Why do you call one almost every game in the middle of a run or after a made three?
And not related to timeouts, why the f do you not adjust your lineup at the end of a game to sub out the awful FT shooters?"
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

"Did you have fun tonight?"
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago "What's the deal with timeouts?
Why do you call one almost every game in the middle of a run or after a made three?
And not related to timeouts, why the f do you not adjust your lineup at the end of a game to sub out the awful FT shooters?"
If you could somehow confront him with those questions...I doubt you would get an answer.

Changing anything right now wouldn't do any good imo.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago "What's the deal with timeouts?
Beyond morbid curiosity, what does any of this even matter at this point? This is a results oriented business and the results paint a pretty clear picture about the bottom line job performance.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago In Chris’s defense, what questions are necessary? “Why are you so bad?” The statistics speak for themselves and accomplish every bit as much - if not more - than asking questions intended to humiliate or embarrass someone you’ve known for a long time and almost certainly like on a personal level and who you have to maintain a professional relationship for at least some amount of time longer.

Media dorks think they’re tough guys when they “ask tough questions” but only freaks think that stuff is cool. I appreciate Chris’s approach and wish more media people would take it. If a tough question would actually produce important information for your audience, ask away. But again, Chris gets to the point by sticking strictly to facts - more effective and more graceful at the same time.
Wow, 10 likes already. I’m outnumbered but here goes what the hell…..

In 4 years I think the only time I’ve seen David Cox asked a tough question was when Morey from WPRI TV asked about why Antwan Walker doesn’t get more minutes. Cox did not like the question and it showed in his reaction. But kudos to Morey for asking something that has been asked many, many times on this board.

At $750k per year and the highest paid state employee I think the URI Head Coach should be open to all questions whether they be softball or hardball questions.

Steve Mac as well could ask tougher questions too. But I can see their position of being afraid unfortunately.

Jim Donaldson for sure would ask the tough questions and call things like he saw them. Not everybody liked him but he said what he thought and still does.

Plenty of questions get repeatedly asked on this board:

Just last game he could be asked:

1. Did you remove Carey with 4 minutes remaining because he had a turnover? He was playing best all year.
2. Did you remove Thomas with 2 minutes remaining because he had a turnover? He keyed a 19 point to 2 point deficit.
3. You just said in the post game “the starting 5 need to improve.” At what point will you consider changing the starting 5? Why not give Thomas a chance to start? Or Walker? Or Martin? Or Carey? Why keep the same starting line up all season?
4. Why not try a different starting line up to try to find the best combination for the A10 Tournament?
5. Are you planning to reduce the rotation to less than 9 players for the A10 Tournament?
6. You are doing great in shot blocking being top 5 nationally, but are we going after blocked shots at the expense of Rebounding on the defensive boards?
7. What is the status of the 3 freshmen? Are they going to have potential for next season?
8. What’s the current outlook for the Practice facility? Start date? Completion date?

Just a few. Don’t need all answered at once.
Communication seems lacking.

Obadiah has talked about his friend at Iona who talks about the frequent communication that comes from Tick Pitino to the fans, the booster club, etc. Things here are feeling similar to the Baron years.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago In Chris’s defense, what questions are necessary? “Why are you so bad?” The statistics speak for themselves and accomplish every bit as much - if not more - than asking questions intended to humiliate or embarrass someone you’ve known for a long time and almost certainly like on a personal level and who you have to maintain a professional relationship for at least some amount of time longer.

Wow, 10 likes already. I’m outnumbered but here goes what the hell…..

In 4 years I think the only time I’ve seen David Cox asked a tough question was when Morey from WPRI TV asked about why Antwan Walker doesn’t get more minutes. Cox did not like the question and it showed in his reaction. But kudos to Morey for asking something that has been asked many, many times on this board.

At $750k per year and the highest paid state employee I think the URI Head Coach should be open to all questions whether they be softball or hardball questions.

Steve Mac as well could ask tougher questions too. But I can see their position of being afraid unfortunately.

Jim Donaldson for sure would ask the tough questions and call things like he saw them. Not everybody liked him but he said what he thought and still does.

Plenty of questions get repeatedly asked on this board:

Just last game he could be asked:

1. Did you remove Carey with 4 minutes remaining because he had a turnover? He was playing best all year.
2. Did you remove Thomas with 2 minutes remaining because he had a turnover? He keyed a 19 point to 2 point deficit.
3. You just said in the post game “the starting 5 need to improve.” At what point will you consider changing the starting 5? Why not give Thomas a chance to start? Or Walker? Or Martin? Or Carey? Why keep the same starting line up all season?
4. Why not try a different starting line up to try to find the best combination for the A10 Tournament?
5. Are you planning to reduce the rotation to less than 9 players for the A10 Tournament?
6. You are doing great in shot blocking being top 5 nationally, but are we going after blocked shots at the expense of Rebounding on the defensive boards?
7. What is the status of the 3 freshmen? Are they going to have potential for next season?
8. What’s the current outlook for the Practice facility? Start date? Completion date?

Just a few. Don’t need all answered at once.
Communication seems lacking.

Obadiah has talked about his friend at Iona who talks about the frequent communication that comes from Tick Pitino to the fans, the booster club, etc. Things here are feeling similar to the Baron years.
Again, which has been stated many times on this board, timeouts and his substitution patterns have been extremely puzzling.

I am surprised he has been so rigid on his starting 5, I would have thought by now he would've mixed it up.

In the early part of the season when things weren't going well for Dayton, coach Grant made a change and decided to start true freshman PG Malachi Smith. Their performance certainly improved since then.

Not to say Cox will make a similar move, but something needs to change.

I have no problem with us having a 9-man rotation going into the A10T.
I think it will be needed especially if we end up having to play 4-5 games in as many days. That would be a longshot.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’d bet no other team goes with a 9 man rotation. St Bonaventure, Davidson, VCU, Richmond and Dayton will go with a primary 5 guys, possibly 6, max 7.
9 players by then tells me all 9 are about equal OR the HC can’t decide who the best 5 are or a combo of both.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago "Did you have fun tonight?"
Only if it's the strawberry shortcake ice cream bars.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago I’d bet no other team goes with a 9 man rotation. St Bonaventure, Davidson, VCU, Richmond and Dayton will go with a primary 5 guys, possibly 6, max 7.
9 players by then tells me all 9 are about equal OR the HC can’t decide who the best 5 are or a combo of both.
Definitely not the Bonnies.

Probably VCU they actually have 10 players averaging double digit minutes, they pride themselves on their depth. Also UMass

Possibly SLU and Richmond.

Davidson and Dayton probably an 8 man.

To win the tournament with that many games in a few days, and injury concerns, depth is a luxury.

In our case without any stars and no players separating themselves, we have little choice.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago I’d bet no other team goes with a 9 man rotation. St Bonaventure, Davidson, VCU, Richmond and Dayton will go with a primary 5 guys, possibly 6, max 7.
Or, Cox has overpromised.
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Pulling Thomas at the end of close games makes sense. His FT% is 30.8%.
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Pulling Thomas at the end of close games makes sense. His FT% is 30.8%.
Wonder what he hits in practice? Good question for David Cox. If it’s good and Thomas is planned for starting or significant minutes in the A10 tourney then these games are good to get the nervousness out. Playing only 14 minutes, last among 9 players vs Fordham, might say there is not much to look forward to in the A10 tourney.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Lose to UMass, and the PIG game in DC becomes more likely.

PIG.....a very appropriate abbreviation.

We can't win ONE game, much less 4 or 5 in a row.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

We’ll I’m done. Either he leaves or I out. It’s not rocket science.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

How bad is it? Really really bad.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Yes.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Morey can ask the tough questions because he isn’t going to be around here very long. He’s in a much different position than Stevie Mac or Chris. Koch has been pretty critical as well.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Morey asks them but he doesn't have to ask them.

Other than Morey asking David Cox about why Walker doesn't get more minutes have there been any other questions such are often asked on this board?

Seems crickets to me but maybe I've missed them.

Any year. It's not just this season, last year was bad too.

Year 1 was a disappointment.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cox definitely needs to be asked these questions from the media

We are drastically underperforming and someone needs to take accountability

Hopefully Thorr wakes up and makes a change
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Mike Szostak would have a field day with this situation.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Morey can ask the tough questions because he isn’t going to be around here very long. He’s in a much different position than Stevie Mac or Chris. Koch has been pretty critical as well.
Well another big thing is that Stevie Mac and Chris, as radio announcers, are employed by URI to some extent, where Morey and Bill are independent
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Morey can ask the tough questions because he isn’t going to be around here very long. He’s in a much different position than Stevie Mac or Chris. Koch has been pretty critical as well.
Well another big thing is that Stevie Mac and Chris, as radio announcers, are employed by URI to some extent, where Morey and Bill are independent
Speaking of Steve and Chris, has there been any talk of Don coming back at some point? Or is he retired?