2/14 | Dayton | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

2/14 | Dayton | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs University of Dayton
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Monday, February 14, 2021
9:00PM

Media
TV: CBSSN
Online: CBSSN
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Dayton Fan Forum
Another Dayton Fan Forum
Blackburn Review

In theory this game is going to happen, so here is a preview. After missing out on their last 2 out of conference games due to COVID, the University of Rhode Island takes on the University of Dayton to tipoff conference play in the Atlantic 10. After winning their opening game of the season, the Flyers rattled off 3 atrocious home losses in a row to UMass Lowell, Lipscomb, & Austin Peay; all of which they were double digits favorites. Since then, they have gotten 3 P5 victories, including a neutral site win over #4 Kansas. Dayton has had a lot of roster turnover since these 2 teams faced each other last in the A10 tournament last season with only 1 starter from that game, R.J. Blakney, remains with the team. Much like URI, there is no one alpha dog leading this team in scoring. They have 4 players averaging between 9.6 - 10.4 per game & they have an additional 4 players averaging between 6.4 – 6.6 per game. Similarly, URI has 7 players averaging between 7.7 – 11.8 per game. Co-leading this team in scoring is Georgia transfer, Toumani Camara, who is averaging 10 points & almost 7 rebounds per contest. On the plus side, he is only shooting less than 17% from deep on 24 attempts. On the season, these 2 teams are close statistically wise with points for, points against, FG%, rebounds & assists all quite close. One glaring difference as we can all imagine is strength of schedule. Dayton is 85th while URI is 204th (out of 358 D1 schools) as of this writing. Look for both teams to start off a bit rusty as it will have been 9 days between games for Dayton & a whopping 17 for Rhody. Hopefully the Rams can pick off where they left off against Milwaukee. I have no idea what to make of this game. Look for a smaller crowd as the students are on break so JV has his work cut out for him getting some energy in the Ryan Center. I am guessing URI will be favored by a point or two being at home. Final score of this one will be 68-65. Hopefully URI is on the winning side but who the hell knows. Did I inspire confidence? Happy Holidays & Go Rhody!!

After a win against A10 leaders Davidson, the Rams have a home tilt against the Dayton Flyers. The last time these two teams played a few weeks ago, Daron Holmes had a big game downlow with 12 points, 6 rebounds & an impressive 6 blocks. URI played their best game of the season & it was long overdo. They were getting stops of the defensive end & were hitting their shots. They shot any astounding 83% from the line. Will it carry over into tonight's game...who the hell knows with this team. When on defense they will have to watch out for the Kob(e/y)s as they are the Flyers best 3 point shooters. The transfer from Georgia, Toumani Camara, has scored in double digits in 5 of his last 6 games. The final score of this one will be 65-61, i just am not sure if Rhody will be on the winning side of it. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
17-8, 9-3 in the A-10
14-10, 9-7 in the A-10

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 59 (119)
RPI: 75 (126)
KenPom: 53 (114)
BPI: 44 (113)
Sagarin: 51 (110)
Barttovik: 38 (116)

Leaders:
Points – Daron Holmes II 11.5 (Fr., F)
Rebounds – Toumani Camara 6.4 (Soph., F)
Assists – Malachi Smith 5.1 (Fr., G) (2.3 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 18-24
H: 10-7, A: 7-12, N: 1-5
Most Recent Matchup: 1/28/22 83-51 L at Dayton
Most Recent Win Streak: 2 – Dayton
Match-up Predictor: 40.5% Chance of URI Winning
Last edited by spookydog 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 12/30 | Dayton | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by section(105) »

……..it will be interesting what Team Rankings offers here, if anything………but looking up to the match up predictor above, at 74.9% for URI to win……..wow, really…….?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A David Cox led URI team has never won its A-10 league home opener. Have lost by an average of 11 points per game. He and his team have appeared unprepared and not ready every one of the past three seasons.

2020-21 Lost to Davidson 67-58 (down 4 at the half)
2019-20 Lost to Richmond 69-61 (down 11 at the half)
2018-19 Lost to GMU 84-67 (down 11 at the half)
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Last season at the RC, freshman Nwokeji (F) scored 29 pts (90% FG) and 9 rebs against us.
This season he only played in 4 games totaling 30 minutes and barely scored.

This team is very young, they have decent depth and good size, and has certainly matured and improved since their early games.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

We should win this game at home if we want to make some noise in the A10. Dayton can beat anyone, but they have lost to some terrible teams.

Let's hope we can play.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago We should win this game at home if we want to make some noise in the A10. Dayton can beat anyone, but they have lost to some terrible teams.

Let's hope we can play.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Rhody has played it's last 2021 game and fans may not be back at all.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago We should win this game at home if we want to make some noise in the A10. Dayton can beat anyone, but they have lost to some terrible teams.

Let's hope we can play.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Rhody has played it's last 2021 game and fans may not be back at all.
………beautiful, given the date, I agree it will be the last played game in 2021…….as for the fans being back…….maybe for the intro of the new coach……..ouch……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Let's hope we can play.
………beautiful, given the date, I agree it will be the last played game in 2021…….as for the fans being back…….maybe for the intro of the new coach……..ouch……
I'm saying the game won't be played. Interesting thought though that DC may have coached his last Rhody game in front of fans....
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Lynn Greer 111 just entered the portal.
He was part of Dayton's top recruiting class 2021.
Considered one of the best recruits from Philly last year, 3 time first team all Philadelphia.
Had several P6 offers but wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Temple, like his dad.

Playing behind Malachi and Elvis could have been an issue for him.

https://www.newskudo.com/ohio/dayton/sp ... fer-portal
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Lynn Greer 111 just entered the portal.
Considered one of the best recruits from Philly last year, 3 time first team all Philadelphia.
Had several P6 offers but wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Temple, like his dad.

Related to Hal?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

Related to Hal?
Not sure about Hal, but his father also Lynn Greer was a star guard at Temple under John Chaney.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Related to Hal?
Not sure about Hal, but his father also Lynn Greer was a star guard at Temple under John Chaney.
I was wondering since Hal played his career in Philly and maybe settled there?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Related to Hal?
I was wondering since Hal played his career in Philly and maybe settled there?
Yes, I did wonder the same thing, but unable to find a connection.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Anyone know if CBSSN can be streamed via the Paramount + app?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Busting Brackets
https://bustingbrackets.com/2021/12/26/ ... -schedule/

Dayton at Rhode Island: 2021-22 college basketball game preview, TV schedule
by Adam Bernstein

"Rhody is expected to be cleared to play their conference opener at the Ryan Center against Dayton."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Busting Brackets
https://bustingbrackets.com/2021/12/26/ ... -schedule/

Dayton at Rhode Island: 2021-22 college basketball game preview, TV schedule
by Adam Bernstein

"Rhody is expected to be cleared to play their conference opener at the Ryan Center against Dayton."
Thank God
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Anyone know if CBSSN can be streamed via the Paramount + app?
I'm pretty sure it cannot be. Which is frustrating. (Paramount+ does include streaming of CBS Sports HQ, which is similar to the original ESPNews format — but that is useless since it doesn't help you watch live CBSSN games).
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Anyone know if CBSSN can be streamed via the Paramount + app?
I'm pretty sure it cannot be. Which is frustrating. (Paramount+ does include streaming of CBS Sports HQ, which is similar to the original ESPNews format — but that is useless since it doesn't help you watch live CBSSN games).
Just grateful there's no Flo for this game. Oh wait, we're playing at home. Damn it's been a long season and we haven't even started league play. 😳
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

for Billyboy 78 no Lynn is not related to the great Hal Greer who was one of my favorite Philly players right behind Wilt , Billy Cunningham and later
Julius Erving .
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
Just grateful there's no Flo for this game. Oh wait, we're playing at home. Damn it's been a long season and we haven't even started league play. 😳

…..saw a local job opening, local Patch, for URI Athletics for spots multi media coordinator, all a sorts of functions including “streaming of games/events…….” Whatever that means……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

luke wrote: 2 years ago for Billyboy 78 no Lynn is not related to the great Hal Greer who was one of my favorite Philly players right behind Wilt , Billy Cunningham and later
Julius Erving .
Thanks for letting me know.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Got an e-mail about getting a gift at the Dayton game. What's this gift? Is it a good enough reason for me to go now?
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Theoretically you could do the one week free trial of YouTube TV or Hulu Live+ and watch CBSSN. Just remember to cancel after.
Mobley was fouled.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago
Theoretically you could do the one week free trial of YouTube TV or Hulu Live+ and watch CBSSN. Just remember to cancel after.
I do have youtubetv - but we are leaving to visit family in mexico tomorrow - YTTV isn't available in Mexico - but that does give me an idea to do a trial of another service like hulu if they are available. Thanks!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Game is canceled. This fucking sucks
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Just give us refunds. This season is over.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Games are cancelled due to problems within the URI teams.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Games are cancelled due to problems within the URI teams.
Not surprising, but who was the source for that.

Five of seven Atlantic 10 games scheduled for the first night of conference play Thursday have been postponed or cancelled. Only the Fordham at La Salle and St. Joe's at Richmond games are still on as scheduled.

It wouldn't be ideal for anyone, but with the amount of games that are going to be postponed or cancelled, if there are no Covid issues within the Dayton program, the A10 should really try to schedule them against another conference school that had their game called off and have no issues in their program if possible. Get as many games in and create as many open dates as you can in then next two plus months so hopefully you can make up the most amount of games possible
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

For those that don't view items in other parts of the board, women's game Saturday is postponed due to Covid issues in our program

Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Time to open bubbleville back up
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It doesn't matter if you are vaxxed or boosted. Wearing a mask or not. I say open society back up and end all mandates.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..shut down the conference season now……….smart people figure out some poorly conceived seeding……..run on campus sites, run some half assed 1-2 elimination conference tournament of all A-10 teams…….do this in a schedule in late Feb/March to crown a auto bid timely for NCAA……..have Covid can’t play in scheduled then forfeit ………..pull teams out of hat, play one and done format…….what a freakin mess………
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So here is something showing the issue with the men's game is we're still experiencing issues with Covid

theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago So here is something showing the issue with the men's game is we're still experiencing issues with Covid

Are they sick? Or just positive? I have friends who are boosted and positive. Their kids are fully vaxxed and mild symptoms. So it seems neither a mask, a shot or anything else will prevent you from getting it. I prefer no mask and let life go on.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

LMAO I can only laugh.
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I agree, it doesn't matter what one does, unless you want to stay at home and never go out, you're going to get this.

All of the issues with mandates, cancellations, and the like are due to protecting the unvaccinated and the vulnerable.

The next generation vaccines will stop the spread, if only for those who get it.

I used to get depressed at all of this, but now it's just an annoyance.....

I'll wear a mask only when I have to going forward.

In a couple of months, the virus will burn thru the US population, and the infection rates will go down drastically, and then some semblance of normalcy will return, hopefully for good.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If the rest of the season is cancelled, that could mean Cox gets another year.

Just kick the can down the road, and another year is wasted.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

we haven't reached heard immunity yet? what's the magic # for that?

honestly, who hasn't had covid at this point? on the flip side, what's the most someone could have had it now? 3/4 times? 5?
:lol:
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

The problem that is happening now is if you are a season ticket holder you are at the mercy of the A10 for reschedule date and time. If you can not make it to the game you lose out $$$. There is no refund!!! and the Brown game is a ticket credit not a refund.
I did the right thing I thought renewing my season tickets to support the team but I'm starting to feel like I'm going to get screwed in the deal being a season ticket holder......
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I took the refund. No trust in this state. I'm contemplating moving if the mask mandate still exists next year for kids. I don't think I can see my kid in a mask all day for 3 years.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I took the refund. No trust in this state. I'm contemplating moving if the mask mandate still exists next year for kids. I don't think I can see my kid in a mask all day for 3 years.
I hear Florida is nice this time of year.
:lol:
theblueram
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I took the refund. No trust in this state. I'm contemplating moving if the mask mandate still exists next year for kids. I don't think I can see my kid in a mask all day for 3 years.
I hear Florida is nice this time of year.
It is indeed. It is quite lovely. Lived there for a couple of years and visited often when stationed in Savannah.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’ll be a snowbird one day and it’ll be in Florida.
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..gettin outta Dodge for five weeks……..no picnic there either……..but at least not cold…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..gettin outta Dodge for five weeks……..no picnic there either……..but at least not cold…….
Depends on where you stay.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago So here is something showing the issue with the men's game is we're still experiencing issues with Covid

Are they sick? Or just positive? I have friends who are boosted and positive. Their kids are fully vaxxed and mild symptoms. So it seems neither a mask, a shot or anything else will prevent you from getting it. I prefer no mask and let life go on.
More importantly (at least from a logistics standpoint) what is the rule on a positive test? Does a player have to completely clear tests to play again or is it ok to just wait 10 days? You can continue to test positive for weeks after the infection.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: 12/30 | Dayton | (POSTPONED)

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

The Dayton game is always my favorite conference matchup. I’m chalking this season up as a big L. No one can have an actual season with this many games cancelled. I can’t take this BS anymore.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So do all teams have their own policy?