Can We Turn This Around?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Can We Turn This Around?

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Last year year took the wind out of my sails. I don’t have a high level of confidence going into the season. I need it. Please only positive posts!
Last edited by KevanBoyles 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Re: Can We Turn This Around? Please only POSITIVE Posts!

I am trying to start a new vibe.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Re: Can We Turn This Around?

I’ll start. I like the Bozeman hire. We needed a new start. Ties the past to the future. Had to cut bait and move on.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I’m hoping the new strength coach gets us back to being big bodied and bad like the formative Hurley years when we were intimidating with our strength and defensive tenacity. Rock fights were our rep. Teams should be afraid to play us. That’s where we need to be.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Bozeman is a great Rhode Island because hire we are and always should be bad boys, outcasts, underdogs, scratching and kicking for recognition. He has nothing to lose at this time in his career. That is Rhode Island’s DNA. We get no respect. That’s the attitude I want to see and with all the transfers I think that’s the mindset we need to have.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 2 years ago, edited 7 times in total.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I’m bleeding blue and tired of being not relevant. We have to play with attitude.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……OK, I will jump on this band wagon, not sure for how long…….maybe it is “gel” time for this group…….everyone plays at or above their touted potential, couple of breakout seasons for some players, avoid the injury bug…….lots of factors would have to break our way……but hey, why not us……continued banging( me too) on the HC is not gonna get us in the turn around mode…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I will play along.

I also feel the the Todd Bozeman hire was huge.

I also feel he he will play a much more significant role on the bench during in game decisions and player development than Sutton did.
That was probably the reason for the hire. Cox will heavily rely on his previous head coaching experience, Sweet 16 (upsetting Duke) and 5 NCAA appearances.

I think his tough minded approach is what is needed to give this team a jolt

Cox did well in getting transfer Ish2 to help offset the loss of Fatts, along with the return of Shep bringing veteran leadership to the backcourt.
Would like to see improvement from Carey and continued growth from Ish and some contribution from Tres.

The frontcourt along with Martin on the wing should be able to hold its own. A consistent Walker with the twins up front and hopefully a healthy JH should solidify the paint. We also have the 2 freshman (Ileri and Samb) for needed depth.

I would expect to see much needed growth, maturation, and progress from the staff. They need to up their game and the addition of Bozeman should give them a major boost.

All in all, I think we have the necessary elements to be extremely competitive this year. I still don't feel we get an NCAAT bid this season, just because of the strength at the upper tier of the conference. However, I do think this program should correct itself and will be headed in the right direction.

Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Jersey, I concur though I’ve given up on Harris contributing much. I’m bullish on the two Ishes and Shep and I think the twins will continue to improve. If we’re wrong, then Cox will be job-hunting in March.
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Jersey, I concur though I’ve given up on Harris contributing much. I’m bullish on the two Ishes and Shep and I think the twins will continue to improve. If we’re wrong, then Cox will be job-hunting in March.
Yes, I am not counting on a significant contribution from Harris (not needed with the twins), that would just be a bonus.
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

So far what has given us reason to think the program will turn itself around? I would expect and except a letdown after the “new coach” reached the NCAA tourney after taking over a successful team from a successful coach (Hurley) and then after graduation of some top seniors needed to rebuild the program. I don’t think that’s what happened here and I don’t think hiring an assistant Coach has ever turned any program around, so at this point I would say no they are headed for another rebuild. Lastly, I would say the lack of activity on this site also speaks to the same.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 2 years ago So far what has given us reason to think the program will turn itself around? I would expect and except a letdown after the “new coach” reached the NCAA tourney after taking over a successful team from a successful coach (Hurley) and then after graduation of some top seniors needed to rebuild the program. I don’t think that’s what happened here and I don’t think hiring an assistant Coach has ever turned any program around, so at this point I would say no they are headed for another rebuild. Lastly, I would say the lack of activity on this site also speaks to the same.
Positive posts only...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Jersey, I concur though I’ve given up on Harris contributing much. I’m bullish on the two Ishes and Shep and I think the twins will continue to improve. If we’re wrong, then Cox will be job-hunting in March.
Yes, I am not counting on a significant contribution from Harris (not needed with the twins), that would just be a bonus.
Positive posts only. See first post of thread.

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago Last year year took the wind out of my sails. I don’t have a high level of confidence going into the season. I need it. Please only positive posts!
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I think it will be very hard to predict how things will go this coming season unless you have seen the red shirt freshman and the incoming freshmen
play extensively , have watched the transfer and have watched the returnees on the court recently after having undergone a very tough and quirky season . I think they bit off more than they could chew with the schedule last season and all of the schedule shake up . So , I haven't actually seen many of the current roster on the court at all . I will remain optimistic as the new season begins . I kind of wonder why Tre Berry did not see the floor at all since there was nothing to lose as far as eligibility . I hope that is no indication of Berry's readiness to compete at the D1 level. I expect improvement from everyone of the returning players including Harris . if that happens and the team gets off to a quick start then I think we might be pleasantly surprised . The players may embrace the underdog role for a change . If expectations with the fans and around the league is low , they may be able to sneak up on teams . It will certainly be the tallest roster URI has had for a long time and maybe the new ISH may add a missing ingredient to the mix .
I also expect more cohesion and better team defense which if it occurs can't help but improve their performance . I hope we have seen the worst of Carey and will see a more in sync and confidant player this season. that goes for Martin too . I think he can be better than he showed overall . we saw
some flashes last season. If both Mitchells are healthy that has to help .
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

A positive thread such as this one helps the program immensely. It motivates all team members for self-improvement. It helps with recruiting because it makes the program feel relevant. All revenue sources want their investment to be a positive reflection on themselves.
GO RHODY!!!!
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago A positive thread such as this one helps the program immensely. It motivates all team members for self-improvement. It helps with recruiting because it makes the program feel relevant. All revenue sources want their investment to be a positive reflection on themselves.
GO RHODY!!!!
Powerful stuff Rhody72

We should push KB Moderators to have only positive comments allowed on all threads. Anything negative or even bordering on negative should result in a limited number of warnings per poster and ultimately expulsion from KB. Then we will be a Top 25 Program or higher I would hope.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..love ya Ramster, but you must be joking, right……?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I always said if we were more positive under Jim Baron we would have won multiple national championships. No one ever listened to me
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm positive that we should be positive.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Definitely. Teams that have negativity or wild speculation on their message boards....just don't win championships...
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Definitely. Teams that have negativity or wild speculation on their message boards....just don't win championships...
Fact. Look it up.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago A positive thread such as this one helps the program immensely. It motivates all team members for self-improvement. It helps with recruiting because it makes the program feel relevant. All revenue sources want their investment to be a positive reflection on themselves.
GO RHODY!!!!
Powerful stuff Rhody72

We should push KB Moderators to have only positive comments allowed on all threads. Anything negative or even bordering on negative should result in a limited number of warnings per poster and ultimately expulsion from KB. Then we will be a Top 25 Program or higher I would hope.
Done and done. From this day forward, positive posts only everyone else goes to internet jail.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago
GO RHODY!!!!
Powerful stuff Rhody72

Done and done. From this day forward, positive posts only everyone else goes to internet jail.
Half this board would be banned in the first game thread. (I know you are being facetious TP)
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago I always said if we were more positive under Jim Baron we would have won multiple national championships. No one ever listened to me
This.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The talent level is there. The team did not come together last year. Cox and staff can't let that happen again. Leaders need to emerge.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Count me as optimistic. I think the roster is full of players to be excited about and they all have significant experience.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I think we will be competitive. There will be some growing pains as we figure out how to play minus fatts. No idea where we will land at the end of the day.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

It will be so much easier for this talent loaded team to find a winning identity this season without as many new players as we had last season and no "hero-baller" who was always injured. I believe this team will share the ball which will lead to more and better scoring opportunities. I love the off-season.
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I do sincerely hope we do. Chance Stephens looks like the real deal.

If everyone stays healthy there’s no reason we can’t compete with the Mitchell twins, ish, and Shepp.

If we dont, it’s clear we need to move on. So let’s hope for the former. Would love a fun year back in the Ryan center.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

We actually have a lot of size to work with. I also think the back court can be above average. Coaching staff needs guys to play with intensity or cut their minutes. I think it's possible that we could be competitive with any team in the league.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Yes . Will we..🤷‍♂️.. just looking forward to being at the Ryan center in person to find out..
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hiring Bozeman could help things get better, hopefully a lot better.

I'm like everyone else here, in that I would love to see Cox succeed.

So we wait and see.