Remainder of football season cancelled

All things Rhody Rams football.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Remainder of football season cancelled

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Along with the previous news that the Maine game Saturday has been cancelled due to Covid issues in our program, the final game at Stony Brook has also been cancelled for the same reason

Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Remainder of football season cancelled

Unread post by Rhody74 »

When was the last time URI finished the season with a .667 winning percentage? πŸ˜‹
Slava Ukraini!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody74 wrote: ↑3 years ago When was the last time URI finished the season with a .667 winning percentage? πŸ˜‹
When Frank Keaney was the coach?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Could you imagine being a player? You trained last summer only to have your season pushed until the Spring. So you train all winter, only to play 3 games?? I would be irate.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
GO RAMS
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

Rhodymob05 wrote: ↑3 years ago Could imagine being a player? You trained last summer only to have your season pushed until the Spring. So you train all winter, only to play 3 games?? I would irate.
with there historically good recruits in their freshman year i am just hoping no one transfers
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: ↑3 years ago Along with the previous news that the Maine game Saturday has been cancelled due to Covid issues in our program, the final game at Stony Brook has also been cancelled for the same reason

Is the COVID outbreaks a reflection on our administration and higher ups, flem, or the players?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ngriff wrote: ↑3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: ↑3 years ago Along with the previous news that the Maine game Saturday has been cancelled due to Covid issues in our program, the final game at Stony Brook has also been cancelled for the same reason

Is the COVID outbreaks a reflection on our administration and higher ups, flem, or the players?
Its totally unavoidable as literally every football has had issues.

Hard to keep all 80+ people from getting it.

Was hoping you know, with the knowledge that athletes have close to zero issues with covid they would liberalize their protocols by this point. Especially with so many people with natural immunity from already having covid and getting the vaccine.

Not saying you just let them play sick, but what are our protocols? One player positive and we are done? Are we contact tracing ourselves to death? Because it's the contact tracing that is totally ludicrous. I couldn't find one instance all year where a player that was forced to be in quarantine from being contact traced actually wound up having covid. Like it didn't happen.

By the fall I really hope they relax all this. Especially if by that point the whole team is vaccinated. If not then logic is officially dead.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Rhody74 wrote: ↑3 years ago When was the last time URI finished the season with a .667 winning percentage? πŸ˜‹
10-3 in 84 and 85
10/13 > 2/3

Bob Griffin was coach.
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

rhodyrudder wrote: ↑3 years ago
10-3 in 84 and 85
10/13 > 2/3

Bob Griffin was coach.
Interesting stat. Just wondering how did you find it?
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Not only did we finish above .500, but we also finished the season with a national ranking (We'll see if that holds up).

I haven't paid as much attention to the rules regarding eligibility for football as I have for basketball... Do all of our guys have the opportunity to return?
We have a few guys who were listed as red shirt seniors who have been positive contributors over 4 seasons. Bibault, Brown, Mack, Bryant. Could they come back next season? Would totally understand if they want to move on, but would love to watch them get a true senior year.

I've got to imagine roster management will be a major focus of the staff. Balances guys who may want to stay, mixing in some younger guys, while also recruiting to not throw off the roster continuity. Will be an interesting off season, and I'm hopeful we have a few guys who can keep us updated.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

New Hampshire also canceled the rest of their season yesterday due to Covid, having played only one game this year. In response Stony Brook canceled the rest of their season with their last two opponents on the shelf and Maine said it is assessing scheduling options now that their last two games are off
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodyrudder wrote: ↑3 years ago
10-3 in 84 and 85
10/13 > 2/3

Bob Griffin was coach.
Interesting stat. Just wondering how did you find it?
It can easily be found in the URI football record book:
https://gorhody.com/documents/2021/3/27/Record_Book.pdf
FmrRamFB
Michael Andersen

Unread post by FmrRamFB »

Make sure you all cancel your FloSports subscriptions so you’re not getting hit for $20 per month and no football.
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

It's a darn shame! Well, at least we were able to play three games.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PeterRamTime wrote: ↑3 years ago

Was hoping you know, with the knowledge that athletes have close to zero issues with covid they would liberalize their protocols by this point. Especially with so many people with natural immunity from already having covid and getting the vaccine.

Not saying you just let them play sick, but what are our protocols? One player positive and we are done? Are we contact tracing ourselves to death? Because it's the contact tracing that is totally ludicrous. I couldn't find one instance all year where a player that was forced to be in quarantine from being contact traced actually wound up having covid. Like it didn't happen.

By the fall I really hope they relax all this. Especially if by that point the whole team is vaccinated. If not then logic is officially dead.
Ok doctor...you want to relax things so you you can watch football this spring. Got it. Go ask the Vancouver Canucks how their players are feeling right now.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/ca ... nsmission/
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: ↑3 years ago

Ok doctor...you want to relax things so you you can watch football this spring. Got it. Go ask the Vancouver Canucks how their players are feeling right now.
I'm sure they're pretty bored up in quarantine right now.

So what is your issue with what I said DOCTOR?

That we should continue contact tracing? That means mandatory 10+ days where the players quarantine even after multiple negative tests?

Unreasonable to only quarantine the people that actually tested positive?

Gotcha.

Your article is also pretty irrelevant and doesn't really address anything.

Oh boy the Canucks had a big outbreak. And it's probably the largest I've heard of out of the hundreds of teams that have been playing sports all over the world.

Since you found that piece of anecdotal evidence how about you go find me an instance where a player while in contact traced induced quarantine wound up actually getting the virus. Goodluck.

That's my only issue with the protocols as they are constituted right now.

But if one or two players on a football
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

That we should continue contact tracing? That means mandatory 10+ days where the players quarantine even after multiple negative tests?

Gotcha.

Oh boy the Canucks had a big outbreak. And it's probably the largest I've heard of out of the hundreds of teams that have been playing sports all over the world.

Since you found that piece of anecdotal evidence how about you go find me an instance where a player while in contact traced induced quarantine wound up actually getting the virus. Goodluck.

I mean, it’s very very safe to assume there have been PLENTY of contact tracing that led to those student athletes being positive.

Leading up to the fall football season, there were numerous big time programs that had huge outbreaks. Odds are, contract tracing led them to be positive.
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: ↑3 years ago

Gotcha.

I mean, it’s very very safe to assume there have been PLENTY of contact tracing that led to those student athletes being positive.

Leading up to the fall football season, there were numerous big time programs that had huge outbreaks. Odds are, contract tracing led them to be positive.
One would think, but I can't remember one instance. I'm a Tennessee football fan and we had some guys go in and out because of contact tracing multiple times and they never wound up having it. And following the rest of the SEC it was the same deal. Players had to quarantine for 14 days regardless of the negative tests. Funny thing was if you actually got covid it was a 10 day minimum quarantine and you could return to play if you testes negative. So we had guys who actually got it get out of quarantine faster than those who did not.

I just want to avoid those protocols as they have proven to be unnecessary.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Gotcha.

One would think, but I can't remember one instance. I'm a Tennessee football fan and we had some guys go in and out because of contact tracing multiple times and they never wound up having it. And following the rest of the SEC it was the same deal. Players had to quarantine for 14 days regardless of the negative tests. Funny thing was if you actually got covid it was a 10 day minimum quarantine and you could return to play if you testes negative. So we had guys who actually got it get out of quarantine faster than those who did not.

Have you asked your primary care doctor about why there was a 14-day quarantine for those close contacts? And you don't understand why for those who test positive it was only 10-days? Please ask a medical professional about the reasons. I don't have a medical degree so I'll defer to those who do. I'll assume you don't have a medical or science degree either. These aren't just willy-nilly numbers that they pick out of thin air. Here I'll help:

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210 ... discharged.

https://www.idsociety.org/covid-19-real ... n-control/

There's really nothing "funny" about COVID. Ask Tristan Thompson of the Celtics. 550,000+ people dying...that's what's proven to be unnecessary.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Have you asked your primary care doctor about why there was a 14-day quarantine for those close contacts? And you don't understand why for those who test positive it was only 10-days? Please ask a medical professional about the reasons. I don't have a medical degree so I'll defer to those who do. I'll assume you don't have a medical or science degree either. These aren't just willy-nilly numbers that they pick out of thin air. Here I'll help:

There's really nothing "funny" about COVID. Ask Tristan Thompson of the Celtics. 550,000+ people dying...that's what's proven to be unnecessary.
Nice virtue signaling.

Very well aware of the viruses incubation period.

And yeah not a scientist or a doctor but I know some! Some think like me and some think like you. There's an expert for everybody. It's really all about what makes you feel like you're doing the right thing.

All I'm saying is the contact tracing for football teams has been asinine. It's as stupid as going to a restaurant, wearing your mask on your way to the table, taking it off for an hour and putting it back on to go pee or leave.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

There’s a Covid thread for this.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

The men's soccer season ended prematurely also.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote: ↑3 years ago The men's soccer season ended prematurely also.
URI Soccer with UMASS was cancelled because of Covid on URI

Very tough break for UMASS

A10 is divided into 3 divisions: Central, North and West

UMASS is ranked #34 Nationally, only behind Fordham in A10. They lost to Fordham 2-1 in 2OT and tied Fordham 1-1 in 2OT. UMASS beat URI 5-2 so likely would have had another win but not now with URI Covid. It's possible UMASS will not make the 4 team playoff as they are in the A10 North along with Fordham.

Only 4 teams make the A10 Playoffs.

Thursday April 15
1-seed vs 4-seed 12pm ESPN+
2-seed vs 3-seed 4pm ESPN+

Saturday April 17
Championship 12pm ESPN+

NCAA National Ranking - Soccer
15 Fordham 4-0-2
34 Massachusetts 6-1-2
47 Saint Louis 7-3-0
63 Dayton 3-3-1
68 La Salle 4-4-1
86 Saint Joseph's 3-5-0
98 Rhode Island 2-3-1
134 Duquesne 2-4-0
138 Davidson 3-3-2
151 George Washington 3-1-2
161 St. Bonaventure 2-3-1
168 VCU 2-3-2
178 George Mason 0-5-3
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I agree that there's nothing funny about COVID. But, I will disagree that 'willy-nilly numbers' and other willy nilly stuff picked out of thin air aren't driving policy... Willy nilly is really pretty much all we got....
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Nice virtue signaling.

And yeah not a scientist or a doctor but I know some! Some think like me and some think like you. There's an expert for everybody. It's really all about what makes you feel like you're doing the right thing.

All I'm saying is the contact tracing for football teams has been asinine. It's as stupid as going to a restaurant, wearing your mask on your way to the table, taking it off for an hour and putting it back on to go pee or leave.
You know some doctors that don't believe in the incubation period of COVID? Care to name them? Some doctors think like you? So you're researching and providing your published and peer-reviewed research to doctors and they're agreeing with you? Got it. Doctors don't think like me, thankfully. We'd all be in tough shape if they had my brain. They think in a lot more complex and rational manner. I'm not arrogant enough to think I know more than them. Rather, I listen to the medical profession and scientists when it comes to medicine, pandemics, etc. because this is what they do for a living. They're specialists...you're not and I'm not.

You're right, there are wack-job doctors/scientists out there (2% don't believe in climate change) and a radiologist who thought we should cut back on COVID testing and just let the disease spread. I'm assuming these are the folks you're referring to? These days, anybody can come up with some nonsense and there's enough wackos out there who will back you up. (You heard the one about Jews shooting a space laser into CA to start forest fires?)

Sorry I voted for science.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Nice virtue signaling.

You know some doctors that don't believe in the incubation period of COVID? Care to name them? Some doctors think like you? So you're researching and providing your published and peer-reviewed research to doctors and they're agreeing with you? Got it. Doctors don't think like me, thankfully. We'd all be in tough shape if they had my brain. They think in a lot more complex and rational manner. I'm not arrogant enough to think I know more than them. Rather, I listen to the medical profession and scientists when it comes to medicine, pandemics, etc. because this is what they do for a living. They're specialists...you're not and I'm not.

You're right, there are wack-job doctors/scientists out there (2% don't believe in climate change) and a radiologist who thought we should cut back on COVID testing and just let the disease spread. I'm assuming these are the folks you're referring to? These days, anybody can come up with some nonsense and there's enough wackos out there who will back you up. (You heard the one about Jews shooting a space laser into CA to start forest fires?)

Jesus christ πŸ™„
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Nice virtue signaling.

Like these Wacko scientists from Oxford, Stanford and Harvard.

Or Brett Weinstein and his wife Heather Heying

Just to name a few

Its not a question of denying science it's a question of what's the most reasonable path forward after understanding the science.

About half of us want to contact trace student athletes that don't even need to worry about getting the virus themselves because the SCIENCE is overwhelmingly clear that they aren't really at risk at all to have any real issues with the virus (que myocarditis rebuttal) and players haven't ended up actually coming down with covid after they are put into contact tracing quarantine.

Some of us might think that's a stupid waste of people's time.

See I actually understand where you are coming from because I've encountered people with your point of view for a year now and I get it. I used to feel that way and I have spent literally hundreds of hours looking at data and researching things.

But you're defining what my views are without actually understanding why I think about all this the way I do. Probably because the media you consume conditions you to respond to someone who contradicts your narrative with disgust and anger. If they contradict you that means they don't know the "science" they are wackos, they are bad heartless people!

We are all just trying to figure out what's best for everyone.

Some of us use logic and reason some use caveman reasoning (it's not real there are chemicals from 5G) and others use pretentious fear mongering!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

ramster wrote: ↑3 years ago
Thanks for sharing and getting the conversation back on track.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote: ↑3 years ago
ramster wrote: ↑3 years ago
Thanks for sharing and getting the conversation back on track.
:D :D
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Baseball is pausing now.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The bracket for the 16-team playoffs will be released during the FCS Selection Show on ESPNU at 11:30 a.m. Sunday.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

5 Must See Games this Weekend - 2 of them are CAA Conference Games with Playoff Implications

[i]CAA: No. 7 Delaware (4-0, 3-0) at No. 10 Villanova (2-1), 1 p.m. (FloSports)

The "Battle of the Blue" dates to 1895, although most meetings have come in the last 50 years (Villanova has won eight in a row for a 31-21-1 series lead). Delaware surely warrants the CAA's automatic playoff bid with a win over its rival; 'Nova needs a win or it probably won't be in the 16-team field. The visiting Blue Hens have one of the FCS' stingier defenses, ranking second in points allowed per game (9.5) and yards allowed per game (197.8), and they're tied for second in turnover margin (plus-9). Dejoun Lee is averaging 166.3 all-purpose yards per game and has scored two touchdowns in three of the four games. 'Nova has committed only one turnover this season and has gone four straight games against Delaware without one. Quarterback Daniel Smith led the FCS in total touchdowns (48) in 2019, but has produced just three this spring. Justin Covington has made up much of the difference with six rushing TDs on just 21 carries in the last two games.[/I]

CAA: No. 11 Richmond (3-0) at No. 1 James Madison (4-0, 2-0), 2 p.m. (NBC SWA+/FloSports)

First place in the CAA South Division is on the line and for James Madison a potential top overall playoff seed. It's also possible Richmond could miss out on the postseason without a first-time win over a No. 1-ranked opponent (0-4 all-time, including losses to the Dukes in 2008 and '17). Spiders QB Joe Mancuso (CAA-high 250.7 yards of total offense per game) spreads the ball to various offensive weapons, and their 34-minute, 27-second time of possession ranks sixth in the FCS. The key matchup is the Spiders' run defense, which allows a mere 55 yards per game, against the deep JMU rushing attack, which averages 259 yards behind senior leaders Percy Agyei-Obese and Jawon Hamilton, and saw Kaelon Black go for 141 yards on 19 carries in the Dukes' last game on March 27. Ethan Ratke has kicked a field goal in his last 17 games, and his next one would be the 65th of his career and a new CAA record. The Dukes have inched ahead 19-18 in the all-time series on the strength of four straight wins.

https://sports.yahoo.com/fcs-college-fo ... 33768.html
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Nice virtue signaling.

Like these Wacko scientists from Oxford, Stanford and Harvard.

Or Brett Weinstein and his wife Heather Heying

Just to name a few

Its not a question of denying science it's a question of what's the most reasonable path forward after understanding the science.

About half of us want to contact trace student athletes that don't even need to worry about getting the virus themselves because the SCIENCE is overwhelmingly clear that they aren't really at risk at all to have any real issues with the virus (que myocarditis rebuttal) and players haven't ended up actually coming down with covid after they are put into contact tracing quarantine.

Some of us might think that's a stupid waste of people's time.

See I actually understand where you are coming from because I've encountered people with your point of view for a year now and I get it. I used to feel that way and I have spent literally hundreds of hours looking at data and researching things.

But you're defining what my views are without actually understanding why I think about all this the way I do. Probably because the media you consume conditions you to respond to someone who contradicts your narrative with disgust and anger. If they contradict you that means they don't know the "science" they are wackos, they are bad heartless people!

We are all just trying to figure out what's best for everyone.

Some of us use logic and reason some use caveman reasoning (it's not real there are chemicals from 5G) and others use pretentious fear mongering!
Just because somebody has "Stanford" by their name, doesn't mean that they know anything about pandemics:
https://news.stanford.edu/2020/11/16/st ... ott-atlas/

Ted Cruz has degrees from Princeton and Harvard...and yet is a laughingstock of a senator.

And it's "overwhelmingly clear that they aren't really at risk at all to have any real issues with the virus." Really? I know college students and young adults who have long-haul symptoms. Yes, hospitalization and death is unlikely. But you know today, in April of 2021, what the long-term effects of COVID will be in 5, 10, 20+ years down the road?? Care to share your crystal ball with the rest of us? And it doesn't bother you that young adults are likely to be asymptomatic spreaders because of their feeling of invincibility.

My grandfather's generation went to Europe to defeat the Nazi's in World War II, willing to die for the cause. This generation...putting on a mask in public, reducing social interactions at the local watering hole, keeping 6-feet apart, looking out for each other...I know it's tough. You want your football and I want my MTV. I guess that's asking too much to listen to our government scientists and doctors.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

It's all about control...and that battle still rages. When it's finally over, we'll either be wearing masks all the time, or not at all.
Obviously, it ain't over...stay tuned.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

"It ain't over until WE say it is!" ....John Belushi, Animal House.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

"7 years of college, down the drain."

My favorite quote of all, in that movie.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

πŸ™πŸ™