Where are we as an athletic department?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Where are we as an athletic department?

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I think we're potentially at a very interesting crossroads for URI athletics coming up. Notice I said interesting and not good or bad, and it might be a good time to take stock of our recent history, where we are now, and possibly the future of the athletic department. In the coming days I'm planning on posting a little something about every single one of our sports.

In June David Dooley is set to retire as university president after serving in the role since July of 2009. All reports are he's been a friend of the athletic department and his contributions to the university as a whole are top notch. Two months ago I wrote this about him when channel 10 did an investigative report about the state's higher education financing. "He might be the best and most important thing to happen to the University since the G.I. Bill and students using that after World War 2 made the University greatly expand." I stand by that statement.

Obviously there is no telling how the next university president will view athletics. Tom Ryan is heading the search committee for a new president, so I'm sure that will be addressed in the search process and will be answered to his satisfaction, but it's one thing to have good answers in an interview, it's quite another when the budget has it's say. Oh yeah, about the budget. It's already millions behind due to Covid, so there will be budgetary issues for whoever is coming in and fundraising for projects may be more difficult than normal. In addition to this, the normal credits that the NCAA would have paid out last year were reduced because of the cancellation of the tournament.

Our Athletic Director Thorr Bjorn has been serving in that capacity since July of 2007. The last contract information I had for him was that he was renegotiating his deal in February of 2015. By all accounts he has had a good working relationship with President Dooley and good luck trying to find someone that has something negative to say about him personally. He also has experience as AD here during difficult financial times. He came in right before the Great Recession and within a year of him taking over gymnastics, men's swimming, men's tennis, and field hockey were all eliminated by the athletic department.

In the 13 years before Bjorn was AD, our basketball program had a conference winning percentage of .448 with three trips to the tournament and three wins once there. In the 13 full years since he's been AD, that has jumped up to .546 and we've made two trips to the tournament, with two wins once there. He hired Dan Hurley, who had a conference winning percentage of .561 and David Cox who had a conference winning percentage of .615 coming into this season. Considering the 13 years of Jerry D and Jim Baron and the rebuild Dan Hurley had to start, 5 tournament appearances and 5 wins in 26 years isn't the worst thing possible and it sets a very modest checkpoint of what fans should expect. If we're not going to the tournament once every four to five years then something has gone wrong in our basketball program.

David Cox is in year three of a five year deal that pays him approximately $700,000 guaranteed per year. Including 2021, and based on the article linked at the very bottom we have four more years of double credits due to our back to back tournament appearances. 2025 is the last year we receive tournament credits for our 2018 appearance. There has been no solid definition of how previous tournament credits were used to bolster the athletic department, if they went to the athletic department at all. We currently have at least $4 million raised toward the $8 million renovation of Tootell West and it's estimated that the project will start in September.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... caa-money/
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Where are we as an athletic department?

Unread post by theblueram »

I believe we dipped into Foundation money on a loan for DH, so I would assume the NCAA credits are paying that money back
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......trying to compete in a resource starved environment to provide all student athletes an opportunity to succeed in their chosen field of dreams.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This is a good idea for a thread. Its something that's been on mind some due to the University President situation as well. I'm very curious to see who they end up choosing and what that person's previous background in and relationship with Athletics (and Athletic Directors) looks like. An interesting crossroads for sure.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I've said it on this site repeatedly, and can't fully comment on the entire department due to lack of knowledge (not that that's stopped anyone on this site before), BUT basketball is the oil that greases the wheel which is all the other sports. We do not invest nearly enough into our basketball program to be competitive for the tournament year in and year out, so all other sports suffer. If we invest properly in basketball, it pays dividends for the rest of the department.
I'm not personally a fan of Thorr, he has made 1 good move for the program and that was hiring Hurley. You could say that was his most important higher and he got it right so he deserves all the credit. But he also couldn't get the money to properly secure Hurley here long term, and I'm talking about before we got into the losing bidding war with UConn.
I'm sure he will move on soon after the new president comes in, and I'm sure we will be worse off without him, but I won't be sad to see him go (and yes I knkw that doesn't make sense).
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

why would Thorr move on? Popular,likable. Plus,I think it would be hard for him to get job with FB school. His best bet is probably at URI.
I give him a solid B.
New weight room (great),new locker room,renovated new FB stadium,renovated baseball facilities. Had new FB scoreboard coming in until COVID hit.
Keep in mind he has noooo $$$$ to work with.
RhodyinCali
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyinCali »

Looking forward to your breakdown of all the teams within the athletic department.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I mentioned this is another thread, money just doesn't appear out of thin air. You need to have the alumni base to support it. Other than a handful of folks, URI just hasn't had that. I think that will change in the future. This university is night and day different from when Dooley first arrived. You look at population, graduation rates, etc. All of it points to increased student success. and hopefully, that means increased alumni success. Also take a look at what Lil O'Rourke is doing to build up the alumni bench. Miles ahead of anything we've done in the past with raising money and recruiting alumni back to URI to give and be a part of the community.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Need one of us to hit the $800+ million dollar Powerball this week.
Go Rhody
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

For a new AD to do more than Thor s/he is going to have to make some heavy weights very unhappy and survive. That said, the best we can do is hire an AD with a basketball background who can raise money. We had one but he made the President's future wife unhappy and didn't last.
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago I think we're potentially at a very interesting crossroads for URI athletics coming up. Notice I said interesting and not good or bad, and it might be a good time to take stock of our recent history, where we are now, and possibly the future of the athletic department. In the coming days I'm planning on posting a little something about every single one of our sports.

In June David Dooley is set to retire as university president after serving in the role since July of 2009. All reports are he's been a friend of the athletic department and his contributions to the university as a whole are top notch. Two months ago I wrote this about him when channel 10 did an investigative report about the state's higher education financing. "He might be the best and most important thing to happen to the University since the G.I. Bill and students using that after World War 2 made the University greatly expand." I stand by that statement.

Obviously there is no telling how the next university president will view athletics. Tom Ryan is heading the search committee for a new president, so I'm sure that will be addressed in the search process and will be answered to his satisfaction, but it's one thing to have good answers in an interview, it's quite another when the budget has it's say. Oh yeah, about the budget. It's already millions behind due to Covid, so there will be budgetary issues for whoever is coming in and fundraising for projects may be more difficult than normal. In addition to this, the normal credits that the NCAA would have paid out last year were reduced because of the cancellation of the tournament.

Our Athletic Director Thorr Bjorn has been serving in that capacity since July of 2007. The last contract information I had for him was that he was renegotiating his deal in February of 2015. By all accounts he has had a good working relationship with President Dooley and good luck trying to find someone that has something negative to say about him personally. He also has experience as AD here during difficult financial times. He came in right before the Great Recession and within a year of him taking over gymnastics, men's swimming, men's tennis, and field hockey were all eliminated by the athletic department.

In the 13 years before Bjorn was AD, our basketball program had a conference winning percentage of .448 with three trips to the tournament and three wins once there. In the 13 full years since he's been AD, that has jumped up to .546 and we've made two trips to the tournament, with two wins once there. He hired Dan Hurley, who had a conference winning percentage of .561 and David Cox who had a conference winning percentage of .615 coming into this season. Considering the 13 years of Jerry D and Jim Baron and the rebuild Dan Hurley had to start, 5 tournament appearances and 5 wins in 26 years isn't the worst thing possible and it sets a very modest checkpoint of what fans should expect. If we're not going to the tournament once every four to five years then something has gone wrong in our basketball program.

David Cox is in year three of a five year deal that pays him approximately $700,000 guaranteed per year. Including 2021, and based on the article linked at the very bottom we have four more years of double credits due to our back to back tournament appearances. 2025 is the last year we receive tournament credits for our 2018 appearance. There has been no solid definition of how previous tournament credits were used to bolster the athletic department, if they went to the athletic department at all. We currently have at least $4 million raised toward the $8 million renovation of Tootell West and it's estimated that the project will start in September.

Good post for the context of where we are.

To say Dooley is a "friend" of the Athletic Department is in the "-ish" category for me. Obviously, he is hamstrung by the RIBGHE and whatever they give him for a budget - but Thorr continues to do his job with one hand tied behind his back. The man can only do so much, and the money isn't there - and it never came there under Dooley. Unfortunately, because of our budget situation, we rely much more on the generosity of our donors than any other school.

Other school's boosters get to donate for the "nice to have" things. We need our boosters to give for the "must have" things. When we talk about the program enhancements offered in the last gasp attempt of a Hurley contract, that wasn't the athletic department or school willing to do those things - it was one donor. The difference between URI and successful programs is always that. The SCHOOL will never commit. We are only going to be as good as a handful of donors allow us to be when they decide to open their wallets.

I wasn't a fan of Dooley stepping in and putting the kibosh on bringing in Pitino and potentially alienating our largest donor. I wasn't a fan of Dooley preventing beer in seats in the Ryan Center.

On to Thorr.

I mean this with zero hyperbole. He is the nicest, most genuine, best person to have running our athletic department. The only reason we are able to hold onto someone that talented is because his family loves it here. Period. He could go to any AD in the country and run it with the best of them.

The winning percentage thing is a bit disingenuous, because it wasn't Thorr who hamstrung us with Baron's contract. He got in at the peak "we should be an NCAA team but we're going to choke" time. He gave the 2 year extension needed to give Baron the chances to recruit guys, and then he was able to get Tom Ryan to buy Baron out.

When he had to make the difficult decision to cut Tennis, Diving, Field Hockey, and Gymnastics it was "do I cut from EVERYONE and hurt all of our programs? or do I make the difficult decision to cut a few and give our other programs every chance to compete? IMO that was the right way to do it. Nothing worst than a ton of athletic programs that can't compete, I would rather have less programs that are given more resources.

Forster makes a great point about everything he's been able to do - training facility, new offices for all programs, locker rooms, football lights, baseball field, basketball practice facility, continued stadium improvements - and this is all with one hand tied behind his back.

He found Dan Hurley. He was able to get more commitments from the school/boosters to get closer to what Dan needed to compete. But Thorr can't move a mountain by himself. The problems with our funding are and will always be above the AD's chair.

From a football perspective - his first coaching hire was Darren Rizzi. That was such a home run that the NFL poached him after one season. He never got a chance to fully turn that program around. The departure was incredibly unexpected and he brought back Joe Trainer (OC under Rizzi) to see what he could do. Trainer showed promise in year 2-3 and Thorr gave him 2 more years to get over the hump. It didn't work out and he hit another home run with Fleming, who seems to have the program pointed in the right direction (2018 was URI's first winning season since 2001).

So where we are as an athletic department is definitely the appropriate question to ask with a new president coming in.

Will this president commit more to athletics? Will this president lobby for the state, more importantly the RIBGHE, to commit more to athletics? Will this president convince the long list of donors who's names go on all the new buildings on campus to start putting a new stadium and improvements at the bottom of the hill?

Until we hire that president, we'll stay where we always have.

But if you promise to pray for me to win Megamillions tonight, I promise to build a football stadium named after my dog, a basketball practice facility named after myself, a URI hall-of-fame named after my friar-fan cousins (because fuck them), and fund this department at the level that will allow Thorr to do his job the best he can.

So unless that happens - I'm sure we'll continue to wallow in mediocre suck forever.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......wonder what the next slogan will be coined by the new President......Think Big We Do......is kinda played out......no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Blue Man,
I admire your passion and your rants because they come from your heart. I was asked to share the Pitino information as it was happening because those who were involved wanted to let it be known that it was a real possibility. They were also looking to get some very positive feedback which never occurred. I think now it's a bit of revisionist history. My longtime friend True Point nearly banned me from the board and others like Rhode Kyle came at me with guns blazing. I think he posted recently that he would have supported Pitino. Not going to get into specifics but all of my posts are very easy to research. There are not that many. In any event the Pitino to URI will never happen now. The next coach should either be a successful out of work candidate who needs to reclaim his status like a Greg Marshall or a proven up and comer like Jarred Grasso.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago I think we're potentially at a very interesting crossroads for URI athletics coming up. Notice I said interesting and not good or bad, and it might be a good time to take stock of our recent history, where we are now, and possibly the future of the athletic department. In the coming days I'm planning on posting a little something about every single one of our sports.

Good post for the context of where we are.

To say Dooley is a "friend" of the Athletic Department is in the "-ish" category for me. Obviously, he is hamstrung by the RIBGHE and whatever they give him for a budget - but Thorr continues to do his job with one hand tied behind his back. The man can only do so much, and the money isn't there - and it never came there under Dooley. Unfortunately, because of our budget situation, we rely much more on the generosity of our donors than any other school.

Other school's boosters get to donate for the "nice to have" things. We need our boosters to give for the "must have" things. When we talk about the program enhancements offered in the last gasp attempt of a Hurley contract, that wasn't the athletic department or school willing to do those things - it was one donor. The difference between URI and successful programs is always that. The SCHOOL will never commit. We are only going to be as good as a handful of donors allow us to be when they decide to open their wallets.

I wasn't a fan of Dooley stepping in and putting the kibosh on bringing in Pitino and potentially alienating our largest donor. I wasn't a fan of Dooley preventing beer in seats in the Ryan Center.

On to Thorr.

I mean this with zero hyperbole. He is the nicest, most genuine, best person to have running our athletic department. The only reason we are able to hold onto someone that talented is because his family loves it here. Period. He could go to any AD in the country and run it with the best of them.

The winning percentage thing is a bit disingenuous, because it wasn't Thorr who hamstrung us with Baron's contract. He got in at the peak "we should be an NCAA team but we're going to choke" time. He gave the 2 year extension needed to give Baron the chances to recruit guys, and then he was able to get Tom Ryan to buy Baron out.

When he had to make the difficult decision to cut Tennis, Diving, Field Hockey, and Gymnastics it was "do I cut from EVERYONE and hurt all of our programs? or do I make the difficult decision to cut a few and give our other programs every chance to compete? IMO that was the right way to do it. Nothing worst than a ton of athletic programs that can't compete, I would rather have less programs that are given more resources.

Forster makes a great point about everything he's been able to do - training facility, new offices for all programs, locker rooms, football lights, baseball field, basketball practice facility, continued stadium improvements - and this is all with one hand tied behind his back.

He found Dan Hurley. He was able to get more commitments from the school/boosters to get closer to what Dan needed to compete. But Thorr can't move a mountain by himself. The problems with our funding are and will always be above the AD's chair.

From a football perspective - his first coaching hire was Darren Rizzi. That was such a home run that the NFL poached him after one season. He never got a chance to fully turn that program around. The departure was incredibly unexpected and he brought back Joe Trainer (OC under Rizzi) to see what he could do. Trainer showed promise in year 2-3 and Thorr gave him 2 more years to get over the hump. It didn't work out and he hit another home run with Fleming, who seems to have the program pointed in the right direction (2018 was URI's first winning season since 2001).

So where we are as an athletic department is definitely the appropriate question to ask with a new president coming in.

Will this president commit more to athletics? Will this president lobby for the state, more importantly the RIBGHE, to commit more to athletics? Will this president convince the long list of donors who's names go on all the new buildings on campus to start putting a new stadium and improvements at the bottom of the hill?

Until we hire that president, we'll stay where we always have.

But if you promise to pray for me to win Megamillions tonight, I promise to build a football stadium named after my dog, a basketball practice facility named after myself, a URI hall-of-fame named after my friar-fan cousins (because fuck them), and fund this department at the level that will allow Thorr to do his job the best he can.

So unless that happens - I'm sure we'll continue to wallow in mediocre suck forever.
That one big donor you mention is leading the the search for the new president. I'm sure the topic of the importance of a robust athletics program will be a point for that search committee.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Great points Blueman. When is the next president taking office in Kingston?
GO RAMS
BleedBlue87
ARD

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Great points Blueman. When is the next president taking office in Kingston?
The search committee has been going for a few months now. Dooley is planning to leave in June 2021. The idea it to have the new president in before that date so there can be a smooth transition.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Great points Blueman. When is the next president taking office in Kingston?
The search committee has been going for a few months now. Dooley is planning to leave in June 2021. The idea it to have the new president in before that date so there can be a smooth transition.
Has there been any leaks or noise on potential candidates?
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 3 years ago Blue Man,
I admire your passion and your rants because they come from your heart. I was asked to share the Pitino information as it was happening because those who were involved wanted to let it be known that it was a real possibility. They were also looking to get some very positive feedback which never occurred. I think now it's a bit of revisionist history. My longtime friend True Point nearly banned me from the board and others like Rhode Kyle came at me with guns blazing. I think he posted recently that he would have supported Pitino. Not going to get into specifics but all of my posts are very easy to research. There are not that many. In any event the Pitino to URI will never happen now. The next coach should either be a successful out of work candidate who needs to reclaim his status like a Greg Marshall or a proven up and comer like Jarred Grasso.
Yes, I made a tongue-in-cheek comment after getting frustrated with what I was watching against UMass. I don't care, at all, what your motive was for sharing the information. I stand by my beliefs that 3 years ago Pitino was incredibly toxic. There's a reason he was in Greece until this season and his only suitor was Iona.

I do respect your ability to hold a grudge though.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So today is the day for football. I originally planned to do one sport a day, but there’s a lot of ground to cover on this one (this will definitely be the longest one I do, by a lot), it is not for the faint of heart to read, and it’s daunting to write. A couple of times I went to write this over the weekend and was just like, nah, I don’t feel like it. So I guess it’s time to get down to it without further ado.

In the 13 seasons Thorr Bjorn has been the AD, the football team has a record of 21-84 in conference for a winning percentage of exactly 20%. We have had no winning records in conference in those 13 years, and only two seasons when we avoided losing records, with matching 4-4 conference records in 2010 and 2018. We’ve had 3 seasons in his tenure where we didn’t win a single conference game, going 0-8 in 2009, 2012, and 2019. In the 13 seasons prior to him taking over as AD, the team went 33-76 (.303) in conference, with two winning records and no winless conference seasons. The three longest losing streaks in program history, two matching 15 game streaks and a 12 game losing streak, each occurred in his tenure. One 15 game streak went from 11/12/2011 to 9/7/2013 and the other one went from 10/26/13 to 11/15/14. We went a combined 3-33 in that time from 11/12/2011 to 11/15/14. The 12 game losing streak was between 9/19/09 and 9/11/10. On 10/29/16 we made national sports news when we lost 84-7 at James Madison, and the score wasn’t that close, as a James Madison player purposely took a knee toward the end of the game instead of scoring another touchdown. He has hired 3 coaches in his tenure. Darren Rizzi went 2-7 (.222) in conference his one season in Kingston. Joe Trainer went 8-32 (25%) in conference in his 5 seasons in Kingston. After the 2010 season we announced that we’d drop down to the NEC conference. They’re also in FCS like us, and the conference gets an auto bid for the playoffs, but they offer less scholarships to players and the competition isn’t as fierce. Right before the 2012 season we reversed course on that decision. Whether you are glad we ended up staying in the CAA or wish we had dropped down to the NEC, either way you were going to be unhappy with what transpired.

Coach Jim Fleming will start his seventh season as head coach on Saturday, February 27th when the Rams travel up to Bryant. There is no contract information for him available. His original contract was due to run out in 2017 unless we picked up an option for the 2018 season. Obviously not only did we pick up his option season, but at some point we signed him to an extension. In his previous 6 seasons as head coach he has a 9-38 (.191) conference record. His teams have gone 1-7, 1-7, 1-7, 2-5, 4-4, and 0-8 in conference.

Last season was particularly puzzling. How does a FCS team go 0-8 in conference and still land three players on NFL rosters? Isaiah Coulter started the year on injured reserve for the Houston Texans, was active for a couple of games down the stretch but had no catches. Kyle Murphy spent the last 7 weeks on the Giants roster but was inactive for every game. Aaron Parker spent the year on the Cowboys practice squad. I can’t think of another team in URI history that had three future NFL players on it as seniors, and yet we went winless in conference.

Justin Rohrwasser spent the year on the Patriots practice squad after playing here in 2015 and 2016. Tyler Catalina and Dave Steinmetz both have had cups of coffee after being recruited by Joe Trainer and playing under Jim Fleming. Again, we are getting more high end talent than I can remember, yet it’s not translating to wins.

So how does this happen? I mean Thorr knows what he’s doing. He was interim AD at UMass when Don Brown was hired, and they went 18-6 in our conference and went to the FCS championship game and the quarterfinals in the three years the two of them teamed up. He also played a key role for football in the athletic department outside of the Don Brown era when they were successful. We’ve had talent good enough to make the NFL. I’m just not exactly sure where the disconnect is.

To make this even worse, our two closest competitors have been successful during this time. Since 2007 New Hampshire has made the playoffs 11 times, making the final four two times and the final eight four other times. In that time Maine has made the playoffs four times, made the final four once, and the final eight one other time. I’ve been to Maine’s stadium. It’s better than ours, but it’s not some Taj Mahal either. The times I’ve been to Orono I found it to be a nice little town, but I’ve never been there in the winter when the weather would make the men of the Night’s Watch from Game of Thrones say “fuck this shit!” New Hampshire had very comparable facilities to ours when they started their success under Sean McDonnell, but they’ve since renovated their stadium and turned it into a model of what we should be looking to do. So how have these two programs been so much more successful than ours when they didn’t seem to be recruiting to a significantly better situation than ours?

We do need to significantly improve our facilities if we insist on staying in the CAA and having any semblance of a competitive program. Playing in the CAA is an arms race, and we have not been keeping up. The average stadium in the conference seats 12,710, we max out around 8900, but that includes approximately 2300 standing room only. We did complete a $4.1 million project in the summer of 2019 that added lights and field turf, but honestly, your average high school in RI has lights and field turf now, and we’re not exactly a high school football hot bed. It’s a very nice project, but it doesn’t move the needle at the NEC level, never mind the CAA level. To move the needle for facilities at the CAA level, you’re looking at another $20-25 million to redo at the very least the east stands. I’m sure most of you remember the great white buffalo, the architectural drawing of what a renovated Meade stadium would look like. That drawing came out in late 2001, and since then only the Ryan Center and the seats next to it have been produced. It’s hard to imagine our program not being successful if that was built here. Can it ever be done here though remains the question nearly 20 years later.

I suppose by now it is time to land this post. The next president, along with the AD and donors, have some very big decisions to make in regards to football. The decisions regarding basketball are relatively easy compared to football. For basketball it’s invest as much as you can, smartly, in our flagship program. For football, there are several questions. In order, is it sustainable to lose approximately $500,000 a year as we currently do for the return we’re getting? Is it time to finally invest the necessary funds to attempt to really compete in the CAA, knowing that you will lose more than $500,000 a year but maybe you restore pride in our second biggest program? Will the donors provide the necessary funds to do this during a budget crisis? Is it time to give the NEC another look, keeping our football program at the FCS level but competing with schools with approximately the same commitment to football that we’ve shown? Is it time to finally swing the axe that’s been rumored to be hanging over the program’s head off and on since at least the early 90’s? There are no easy answers to these questions, if there were, we would have answered them by now. As of now, football remains the enigma that URI can’t crack.

NarraRamFan
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NarraRamFan »

Coach Fleming's salary is currently $263,500.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He makes more than several other CAA HC's.

Great return for the money, eh?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

That stadium is too perfect.

Would be great to have an actual stadium to walk into after tailgating.
Go Rhody
BleedBlue87
ARD

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
BleedBlue87 wrote: 3 years ago
Has there been any leaks or noise on potential candidates?
No, not to my knowledge.
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

"Coach Fleming's salary is currently $263,500."

I thought the only coach paid less than Flem is UMaine?
His base pay is $175-$200K with incentives-buy games,etc.?

Where do you see the $263K?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

A new field and lights, although a wonderful improvement, are relatively basic compared to whats shown in that rendering. But, it certainly created a nice buzz for fans and players alike. That stadium isn't completely inconceivable, and some of it is built (west stands). A clear direction on financing these improvements would create a buzz 3 times of what we saw two years ago. I don't know if its even on URIs bucket list, but it HAS to be. If you build it...
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

NarraRamFan wrote: 3 years ago Coach Fleming's salary is currently $263,500.
For how many years? Is there any link to his current contract information?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago A new field and lights, although a wonderful improvement, are relatively basic compared to whats shown in that rendering. But, it certainly created a nice buzz for fans and players alike. That stadium isn't completely inconceivable, and some of it is built (west stands). A clear direction on financing these improvements would create a buzz 3 times of what we saw two years ago. I don't know if its even on URIs bucket list, but it HAS to be. If you build it...
Along the lines of if you build it they will come, the URI football team fairly regularly got at least 10,000 people to football games. In fact, during the 28 seasons going from 1964-1991, we had at least one game with 10,000 or more fans in 17 of those seasons. In 1984, 3 of our 5 home games had at least 10,000 and in 1985 it was 2 of our 7 home games. 5 out of 12 football games over the course of two consecutive seasons had at least 10,000 fans in attendance, and now we don't appear to even be able to host 9000 fans at our games even if we wanted to. Football is bigger in general now than it was in the 80's and early 90's, and I would argue the same might be even more true locally compared to nationally due to the success of the Patriots, and not only have we not capitalized on that at all, we've gone backwards.

Yes, I'm biased in favor of URI, but if we invested the $20-25 million to create something similar to the sketch from late 2001, I can't see how we wouldn't regularly be a top of the conference team with everything else URI has going for it, and you could do so many extra things with that facility like concerts and other events that would be massive for the campus community and RI as a state. Now where to find an extra $20-25 million...
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago A new field and lights, although a wonderful improvement, are relatively basic compared to whats shown in that rendering. But, it certainly created a nice buzz for fans and players alike. That stadium isn't completely inconceivable, and some of it is built (west stands). A clear direction on financing these improvements would create a buzz 3 times of what we saw two years ago. I don't know if its even on URIs bucket list, but it HAS to be. If you build it...
Along the lines of if you build it they will come, the URI football team fairly regularly got at least 10,000 people to football games. In fact, during the 28 seasons going from 1964-1991, we had at least one game with 10,000 or more fans in 17 of those seasons. In 1984, 3 of our 5 home games had at least 10,000 and in 1985 it was 2 of our 7 home games. 5 out of 12 football games over the course of two consecutive seasons had at least 10,000 fans in attendance, and now we don't appear to even be able to host 9000 fans at our games even if we wanted to. Football is bigger in general now than it was in the 80's and early 90's, and I would argue the same might be even more true locally compared to nationally due to the success of the Patriots, and not only have we not capitalized on that at all, we've gone backwards.

Yes, I'm biased in favor of URI, but if we invested the $20-25 million to create something similar to the sketch from late 2001, I can't see how we wouldn't regularly be a top of the conference team with everything else URI has going for it, and you could do so many extra things with that facility like concerts and other events that would be massive for the campus community and RI as a state. Now where to find an extra $20-25 million...
I saw Marshall Tucker Band at Meade when I was a freshman.
NarraRamFan
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NarraRamFan »

Coach Fleming salary came from the RI transparency portal... state employee
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago I saw Marshall Tucker Band at Meade when I was a freshman.
That's awesome!
Mobley was fouled.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Can’t you see what that women did to me one of the All time classics baby
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

I saw B.B.King and J.Geils at Meade as a freshman in the spring of '75.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

I saw B.B.King and J.Geils at Meade as a freshman in the spring of '75.
Actually, it was May 2nd, 1976. So it was my sophomore year. I just looked it up.

May 02, 1976 Springfest '76
The J. Geils Band / Pappa John Creach / B.B. King / Sonny Terry & Brownie Mcghee University of Rhode Island Meade Field Kingston RI
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

For the next installment of this, lets take a look at women's basketball. In the 13 years before Thorr Bjorn, our women's team had a conference record of 73-133 (.354 winning percentage) with two winning seasons, two seasons with a .500 record, a loss in the 2003 conference tournament final, and one trip to the NCAA tournament. The 1995-96 season represents the last time we had a winning record in conference and our only trip to the tournament in program history. In Thorr's 13 years here, going into this season we've had a conference record of 38-158 (.194 winning percentage), one season with a .500 record, and one year where we went winless in 14 conference games. He has made 3 hires. The first hire, Cathy Inglese went 6-66 (.083), which might be the most confusing hire from a results point of view I can think of in my time following URI sports. Before coming to URI she went 36-2 in her final three conference seasons at Vermont, going to the conference final once, and the NCAA tournament in her last two years. She then moved on to Boston College and went to 7 NCAA tournaments in 15 seasons, including 3 trips to the second round and two trips to the sweet 16. In her final year there she made her only appearance in the NIT, making the sweet 16 in that. She took a year off from coaching, then joined us in 2009-10 and for some reason it never worked here. Like that hire should have been a massive homerun for us and it was a massive, massive bust. Next he hired Daynia La-Force, which was a fairly confusing hire. She had only one winning conference record in eight CAA seasons with Northeastern. Here she went 19-61 (.238) in conference. It feels in general like we should have had a better program just due to the Ryan Center, but for some reason we've never been a successful program.

On April 18th, 2019, Thorr signed Tammi Reiss to a five year contract that pays her $190,000 this year, $195,000 next year, and $200,000 in 2022-23 and 2023-24 with performance based bonuses. The salary pool for assistants is $230,000. Last year we went 6-10 (.375) in conference. This is another exciting hire, with Reiss being a three-time All American on a team that went to three Final Fours in a row, was a first round pick in the first WNBA draft, played two years in the WNBA, and her last stop she was an accomplished assistant at Syracuse where they made the tournament every year she was an assistant and made the championship game in 2015-16. In short, her resume is everything and more that you're looking for in an up and coming head coach.

This season we are 7-2 in conference and tied for second with Richmond and VCU with 7 games remaining in the season. That said there may be a little bit of overperformance in that conference record and place in the standings. Our NET ranking is 133 in the country, which is 7th in the conference. We are a perfect 5-0 against the teams behind us in the NET ranking and 2-2 in the games against the teams ahead of us. Of our final 7 games, 5 games are against teams worse than us in the NET rankings, so if we can continue to take care of business against teams we should be beating in theory, we still will have one of our best conference seasons ever. Of the seven players averaging at least 10 minutes a game, we only lose 2 after this year, and all three top scorers return next year. Granted I'm not as familiar with the women's game as the men's game and am excited about where the program is going so I may be overstating it, but as an outsider this reminds me a lot of Dan Hurley's 2014-15 NIT team. Hot up and coming coach, team isn't necessarily a darling of the metrics but takes care of business against teams beneath them, has a puncher's chance against team's above them, and is fairly young.

So where are we going? Things are definitely on the rise and like the men's basketball team the women should be the beneficiary of a new practice facility sooner rather than later. This program might have the highest upside in the athletic department right now. The men have been listless under David Cox and football has facility issues that would make it hard to capture real revenue gains even with success. The women's basketball program is the only other program that currently is set up to produce ticket revenue, they're the only one of the three programs that is on a clear upward trajectory right now, and they've underperformed for so long that there's plenty of room for growth. Since the 2010-11 season we've only averaged 623 fans per game, or 8.1% of the Ryan Center capacity. Successful programs do draw well however and there's no reason to think we'd be any different if we can start making some noise. I think it's imperative for Thorr to make investments in this program as needed so that Tammi can be successful here and then try to make sure we can keep her as long as possible.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago For the next installment of this, lets take a look at women's basketball. In the 13 years before Thorr Bjorn, our women's team had a conference record of 73-133 (.354 winning percentage) with two winning seasons, two seasons with a .500 record, a loss in the 2003 conference tournament final, and one trip to the NCAA tournament. The 1995-96 season represents the last time we had a winning record in conference and our only trip to the tournament in program history. In Thorr's 13 years here, going into this season we've had a conference record of 38-158 (.194 winning percentage), one season with a .500 record, and one year where we went winless in 14 conference games. He has made 3 hires. The first hire, Cathy Inglese went 6-66 (.083), which might be the most confusing hire from a results point of view I can think of in my time following URI sports. Before coming to URI she went 36-2 in her final three conference seasons at Vermont, going to the conference final once, and the NCAA tournament in her last two years. She then moved on to Boston College and went to 7 NCAA tournaments in 15 seasons, including 3 trips to the second round and two trips to the sweet 16. In her final year there she made her only appearance in the NIT, making the sweet 16 in that. She took a year off from coaching, then joined us in 2009-10 and for some reason it never worked here. Like that hire should have been a massive homerun for us and it was a massive, massive bust. Next he hired Daynia La-Force, which was a fairly confusing hire. She had only one winning conference record in eight CAA seasons with Northeastern. Here she went 19-61 (.238) in conference. It feels in general like we should have had a better program just due to the Ryan Center, but for some reason we've never been a successful program.

On April 18th, 2019, Thorr signed Tammi Reiss to a five year contract that pays her $190,000 this year, $195,000 next year, and $200,000 in 2022-23 and 2023-24 with performance based bonuses. The salary pool for assistants is $230,000. Last year we went 6-10 (.375) in conference. This is another exciting hire, with Reiss being a three-time All American on a team that went to three Final Fours in a row, was a first round pick in the first WNBA draft, played two years in the WNBA, and her last stop she was an accomplished assistant at Syracuse where they made the tournament every year she was an assistant and made the championship game in 2015-16. In short, her resume is everything and more that you're looking for in an up and coming head coach.

This season we are 7-2 in conference and tied for second with Richmond and VCU with 7 games remaining in the season. That said there may be a little bit of overperformance in that conference record and place in the standings. Our NET ranking is 133 in the country, which is 7th in the conference. We are a perfect 5-0 against the teams behind us in the NET ranking and 2-2 in the games against the teams ahead of us. Of our final 7 games, 5 games are against teams worse than us in the NET rankings, so if we can continue to take care of business against teams we should be beating in theory, we still will have one of our best conference seasons ever. Of the seven players averaging at least 10 minutes a game, we only lose 2 after this year, and all three top scorers return next year. Granted I'm not as familiar with the women's game as the men's game and am excited about where the program is going so I may be overstating it, but as an outsider this reminds me a lot of Dan Hurley's 2014-15 NIT team. Hot up and coming coach, team isn't necessarily a darling of the metrics but takes care of business against teams beneath them, has a puncher's chance against team's above them, and is fairly young.

So where are we going? Things are definitely on the rise and like the men's basketball team the women should be the beneficiary of a new practice facility sooner rather than later. This program might have the highest upside in the athletic department right now. The men have been listless under David Cox and football has facility issues that would make it hard to capture real revenue gains even with success. The women's basketball program is the only other program that currently is set up to produce ticket revenue, they're the only one of the three programs that is on a clear upward trajectory right now, and they've underperformed for so long that there's plenty of room for growth. Since the 2010-11 season we've only averaged 623 fans per game, or 8.1% of the Ryan Center capacity. Successful programs do draw well however and there's no reason to think we'd be any different if we can start making some noise. I think it's imperative for Thorr to make investments in this program as needed so that Tammi can be successful here and then try to make sure we can keep her as long as possible.
The women's team is now better than the men's.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Tammy Reiss will not be here long term she is going places
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

URI is happy just to have a football team.

They don't have the money to go big as in a completely new stadium etc., so they just half ass it and win a game now and then.

We do get talented players at times, but not enough of them to make much of a difference in the W-L column.
RhodyinCali
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyinCali »

What's the next sport?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The rest of the series I'm going to go fall to spring sports, probably with men's soccer next