Week #3 Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Week #3 Games of Interest

Unread post by ramster »

Monday December 7 - Pearl Harbor Day

Wofford at Richmond at 2pm ESPN+
Richmond -14

George Washington at UMBC at 4pm
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Week #3 Games of Interest

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not an A10 game, but Creighton/Kansas tomorrow at 6:00 ESPN should be a great game, 2 top 10 teams.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

A little off topic of course, but ramster's mention of pearl harbor day.....

Used to be remembered big time when I was growing up.

Now, hardly mentioned at all. Might be a movie or two about it shown today, but no mention of it in the press.

In a few years there won't be any WW2 vets still alive.

Us older folks will never forget, but younger generations could care less.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good pictures and commentary.
If you have never visited Pearl Harbor I very highly recommend it.

steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

"A Day that will live in infamy"
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

There's one guy who hasn't forgotten Pearl Harbor. Well, kinda sorta ...

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago
I'm sorry but as a member of the younger generation, I have to take exception to this statement.
First off. The saying is "could NOT care less". If we "could care less" that means we actual do care at some level because we could care less than that level...
2nd. If you ever find yourself blaming a younger generation for something, you can't blame that generation, you have to blame the generation that raised them because they did not make said topic a priority. I can assure you that I will do everything within my power to ensure my children and their friends will know about Pearl Harbor in addition to 9/11.
3rd. This would be like your parents or grandparents saying about you that "your generation doesn't care about the Maine". I'm sure you specifically are well informed on the topic, but I'm sure your generation as a whole does not know much about an action that occurred 50+ years before they were born besides that it happened. And this goes back to my 2nd point, because as Americans we have decided our education system does not need to prioritize the history of our own country.

Back to the topic of this thread though:
Rutgers vs Syracuse is intriguing to me because while Rutgers is P5, they were on the outside looking in recently. Would love to see them become established, and wonder if Cox could somehow get a 2 for 1 going with them.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago
I'm sorry but as a member of the younger generation, I have to take exception to this statement.
First off. The saying is "could NOT care less". If we "could care less" that means we actual do care at some level because we could care less than that level...
2nd. If you ever find yourself blaming a younger generation for something, you can't blame that generation, you have to blame the generation that raised them because they did not make said topic a priority. I can assure you that I will do everything within my power to ensure my children and their friends will know about Pearl Harbor in addition to 9/11.
3rd. This would be like your parents or grandparents saying about you that "your generation doesn't care about the Maine". I'm sure you specifically are well informed on the topic, but I'm sure your generation as a whole does not know much about an action that occurred 50+ years before they were born besides that it happened. And this goes back to my 2nd point, because as Americans we have decided our education system does not need to prioritize the history of our own country.

Rutgers vs Syracuse is intriguing to me because while Rutgers is P5, they were on the outside looking in recently. Would love to see them become established, and wonder if Cox could somehow get a 2 for 1 going with them.
Rutgers was a lock for the Dance last year, currently ranked, and should finish in the top 3-5 of the Big 10 this year. They return basically everyone and are big and deep. I would love to see this match-up with them.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......some national pub for Badgers vs Rams.......nice.....TV?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Wisconsin vs URI Wednesday. My week just improved considerably.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Richmond escapes with the win 77-72 over Wofford. Wofford was up 72-71 with 1:19 to go.
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Richmond wins after a huge scare from Wofford. Wofford got their first lead late in the game and with 2 minutes to go Wofford was up by 5 points
Golden hit his only 3 point attempt at 2 minute mark AND Wofford fouled Richmond’s Tyler Burton in the rebounding positioning making for a potential 5 point play!
Burton made first, missed second FT.
Gilyard later hit a big 3 and got his 5th steal of the game late to seal the win.
Wasn’t looking good for Richmond when Wofford went up 5.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Burton hit a big shot to take the lead with about 1 minute to go.
He has developed nicely. Is their 5th starter in a lineup of upperclassmen.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So if Tennessee never plays a game this year, will they end up in the Top 25 at year end? They moved up to #12 and haven't even played a game yet.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago So if Tennessee never plays a game this year, will they end up in the Top 25 at year end? They moved up to #12 and haven't even played a game yet.
Hey, they’re undefeated ...
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago

I actually kind of hope I'm in a "younger generation" that rambone was commenting on. Gen X, so I assume so. My grandfathers made sure I cared about WWII, and one of them was stationed in Germany and met his wife there. He liked her sharp-witted tongue while his unit was occupying Leipzig, they fell in love in short order, and eventually he was able to fly her back to the States. He also loved to tell long (repetitive, but I didn't mind) stories about his times during the war as well as working at the Red Sox team hotel in Boston. I still have a few boxes of his countless WWII biographical books.

I've now moved on to reading about the the Barbary War of 1801-1805, which is crazy to think about during this time of modern warfare. You may go on a weeks-long sail in your ship all the way from our coast to Tripoli, only to lay low on the coast of Spain while awaiting the go-ahead to support a battle, or you might run aground out in the harbor and your attempts at a strike are derailed just like that. And the next ship to battle with the pirates and free our prisoners may not arrive for another season. Time traveled so much differently then. WWI changed the ways of battle a bit due to the arms involved, but WWII REALLY accelerated the battles due to more advanced aircraft.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Richmond beat Wofford
George Washington lost to UMBC- could be a long season for GW
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Does mighty La Salle get their first W of the year vs Lincoln (DII)
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

wpbrown8267 wrote: 3 years ago Does mighty La Salle get their first W of the year vs Lincoln (DII)
Tough call, I hear Lincoln High has a tough team this year.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry for previously putting this in the wrong week. Thanks ramster!

In Tuesday action in the A-10:

DII Lincoln (PA) at La Salle, 4 PM. ESPN+.

Northern Kentucky at Dayton, 7 PM. ESPN+.

Central Arkansas at Saint Louis, 8 PM. ESPN+.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Wagner at Seton Hall, 5 PM. FS1.

Stetson at South Florida, 5 PM. ESPN+.

Boston College at Minnesota, 7 PM. ESPNU. Game in the ACC/Big 10 Challenge.

6 games canceled/postponed
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

La Salle did notch its first win of season over DII Lincoln, 80-62. FWIW, Lincoln is a 2500 student HBCU located about 45 miles southwest of Philadelphia.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Seton Hall won big.
Kansas beat Creighton by 1.
BC up 1 at half. How did Rhody lose to that team?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

BC explodes to start the 2nd half scoring 21 points in first 5 minutes. Now up by 15.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

BC goes to 1-4 😳. It tells you how bad Rhody played that game. BC was up 15 in 2nd half and Minn went on a 16-0 scoring run. BC coach isn't good.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Is Ogundele active. Appears he isn’t even looked at as Iowa getting bullied down low by the plethora of big men on UNC. Iowa plays Garza and a bunch of guys under 6’6. They can shoot though. Man can they shoot. Garza is a stud (don’t get me wrong), but isn’t doing well against the UNC bigs.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Dayton wins by 6. Is nku good?
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

rhodysurf wrote: 3 years ago Dayton wins by 6. Is nku good?
Nope. Dayton continues to disappoint. They have good players, but aren’t a good team. As it stands right now they only have 6 players on their team who even deserve minutes. Very little room for error with that type of roster construction
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

A10 programs don’t lose 2 great program guys like Landers and Mikesell and the best player in the history of their program and not take a step back. A10 programs rebuild they don’t reload. I suspect they finish somewhere in the 5-7 range.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago A10 programs don’t lose 2 great program guys like Landers and Mikesell and the best player in the history of their program and not take a step back. A10 programs rebuild they don’t reload. I suspect they finish somewhere in the 5-7 range.
Absolutely, just a reality of coming back to earth after the best season in program history. I’m more curious why they were projected (and still are) looked at as the consensus 3rd best team in the conference?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodysurf wrote: 3 years ago Dayton wins by 6. Is nku good?
NKU is a good program.

They have 3 NCAA appearances and one NIT in the last four years. (Won their conference title pre-rona last year)

Not surprising they were able to give Dayton some problems.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago A10 programs don’t lose 2 great program guys like Landers and Mikesell and the best player in the history of their program and not take a step back. A10 programs rebuild they don’t reload. I suspect they finish somewhere in the 5-7 range.
Absolutely, just a reality of coming back to earth after the best season in program history. I’m more curious why they were projected (and still are) looked at as the consensus 3rd best team in the conference?
Because they still have Jalen Crutcher who was considered either the second or third best player in the league last year.

Also have Chatman and Ibi Watson who are as good as any guards in the A-10.

I watched them against SMU and NKU for good chunks of those games and I think a top 4 finish is very likely. They're just figuring it out a little bit. They also lost Cohill, so they're needing some other guys to step up.

Don't think they're as good as we are and probably won't be at the end of the year.

Looks like its Richmond, SLU, URI and then the rest thus far.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago Is Ogundele active. Appears he isn’t even looked at as Iowa getting bullied down low by the plethora of big men on UNC. Iowa plays Garza and a bunch of guys under 6’6. They can shoot though. Man can they shoot. Garza is a stud (don’t get me wrong), but isn’t doing well against the UNC bigs.
Iowa was ahead the entire game. Up 12 at half and won by 13. I think it worked out ok for them.
Ogundele has played a in 2 games for a total of 5 minutes. Developing big man on #3 team in the country.
Iowa’s PF (Jack Nunge) has been out due to the death of his father. He came off the bench in his 2nd game tonight.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Are you missing someone they lost. NCAA POY Obi Toppin. Just weird you mention their loses and don’t include Obi.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

“And the best player in the history of their program”...thought that made it obvious I meant Obi.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
Because they still have Jalen Crutcher who was considered either the second or third best player in the league last year.

Are you saying they have 3 guards that are as good as any guards in the A10?
I think there are a few teams that would argue with that.
Gilyard
Fatts
Crutcher
Goodwin
Grady
Lofton
Francis
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago Is Ogundele active. Appears he isn’t even looked at as Iowa getting bullied down low by the plethora of big men on UNC. Iowa plays Garza and a bunch of guys under 6’6. They can shoot though. Man can they shoot. Garza is a stud (don’t get me wrong), but isn’t doing well against the UNC bigs.
Iowa was ahead the entire game. Up 12 at half and won by 13. I think it worked out ok for them.
Ogundele has played a in 2 games for a total of 5 minutes. Developing big man on #3 team in the country.
Iowa’s PF (Jack Nunge) has been out due to the death of his father. He came off the bench in his 2nd game tonight.
Didn’t say Iowa didn’t dominate the game, but they got worked down low. Luckily they were lights out from deep. Just didn’t seem like they had anyone to sub in when Garza left the game.

PS. I love Jay Bilas. He’s been hilarious during the Duke/IL game. Illinois was my pick to run the table this year. They look good in the 1st half.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Are you saying they have 3 guards that are as good as any guards in the A10?
I think there are a few teams that would argue with that.
Gilyard
Fatts
Crutcher
Goodwin
Grady
Lofton
Francis
Yes. I have seen Chatman and Ibi Watson play as well as any guards in the A-10. Chatman less so, but he can.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

In the category of ACTUAL "nothing to win" playing their in-state competition, K State gets upset by DII Fort Hays State 81-68 tonight at home. On top of that KSU got beat by a 2nd year assistant at FHS, as the head coach and associate head coach were out because they tested positive and were a close contact and had to quarantine, respectively.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good can’t stand a Bruce Weber
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In yesterday's action, Seton Hall easily defeated Wagner as South Florida did with Stetson. BC which led a good part of game fell in overtime to Minnesota.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Wednesday action in the A-10 has our attention focused on Rhode Island at Wisconsin, 4:30 PM. On BTN. Line: Wisconsin -9.5, O/U: 137.5

In other A-10 action:

Northern Iowa at Richmond, 6 PM. On ESPN+.

North Carolina A&T at VCU, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

There are no games involving URI OOC opponents
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Richmond is favored by 8
VCU is favored by 21.5
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Richmond wins and covers
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Miami went on a 41 to 10 run against Perdue to win by 4. That’s crazy.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

CaptainRon wrote: 3 years ago Miami went on a 41 to 10 run against Perdue to win by 4. That’s crazy.
Which Miami?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
CaptainRon wrote: 3 years ago Miami went on a 41 to 10 run against Perdue to win by 4. That’s crazy.
Which Miami?
Miami (Florida) crushed Purdue in the second half after being down 18 at half.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No A-10 teams in action on Thursday.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Gardner-Webb at Western Kentucky, 8 PM. ESPN+.

Long Beach State at San Francisco, 9 PM.

San Diego State at Arizona State, 10 PM. FS1.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

I was watching that Miami vs Purdue game and Miami looked horrific in the first 1/2 half and really turned it around. Was hoping URI was gonna be able to replicate that last night.