Birthplace of "Fastbreak" Basketball

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Birthplace of "Fastbreak" Basketball

Unread post by Running Ram »

It's been long enough since I last did this...WARNING RANT WARNING

We are fans of the program that created modern basketball! Perhaps saved the whole sport, took a plodding competition of hand-eye awareness and turned it into an exciting race to the basket. I'm not saying the modernization of basketball wasn't inevitable, I'm saying Frank Keaney was the visionary that did it first. Why oh why does that not get capitalized upon?!? Never been marketed, not once in my lifetime! WE SHOULD PROUDLY BE A BASKETBALL FIRST INSTITUTION!!! It would drive the bus, keeping everything well funded and it is a testimony to our ingenuity not an indictment on our academics. Seriously, "think big, we do" is the perfect slogan for us, as others have suggested it just translates into "think big, do little."

Okay, that's it, off my chest for a few months at least... :P
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: Birthplace of "Fastbreak" Basketball

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

^ultimate truth^
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Go Rhody!!!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

PLEASE SEND TO THORR ASAP. I've been to the Basketball HOF and have seen the URI display. Its awesome, but many Rhode islanders and even many fans have no idea their school and state are represented in the HOF. True shame. No mention of it at the Ryan, (at least its not obvious enough).
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago It's been long enough since I last did this...WARNING RANT WARNING

We are fans of the program that created modern basketball! Perhaps saved the whole sport, took a plodding competition of hand-eye awareness and turned it into an exciting race to the basket. I'm not saying the modernization of basketball wasn't inevitable, I'm saying Frank Keaney was the visionary that did it first. Why oh why does that not get capitalized upon?!? Never been marketed, not once in my lifetime! WE SHOULD PROUDLY BE A BASKETBALL FIRST INSTITUTION!!! It would drive the bus, keeping everything well funded and it is a testimony to our ingenuity not an indictment on our academics. Seriously, "think big, we do" is the perfect slogan for us, as others have suggested it just translates into "think big, do little."

good post and right on point

THINK BIG DO WE
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Moderators....think we should take this excerpt and then make it it's own locked topic that's pined at the top of the message board for eternity, so anyone visiting this board knows the historical importance of URI basketball (such as players, prospective players & their families, other A10 fans, etc). Feel it's a shame to keep such an important aspect of Rhody basketball hidden away. Thoughts?

"Frank W. Keaney
Known as the architect of modern run-and-shoot basketball, Frank Keaney’s uptempo style made use of a fast-breaking offense and a full-court defense. Keaney’s innovative tactics enabled his 1939 Rhode Island club to become the first college team to score better than 50 points per game. In 1943, Rhode Island averaged over two points a minute (80.7 points per game), earning them the nickname, “The Firehouse Gang.” In 27 seasons at the University of Rhode Island, Keaney had only one losing record, led the Rams to four NIT appearances, and finished with a career record of 401-124.Namesake for the University of Rhode Island Frank W. Keaney Gymnasium-Armory. Opposing coaches hated the fast-breaking style of Keaney-led teams but the results showed the future of basketball. Keaney preached speed at all times, urging his boys on to higher and higher scores from the sidelines. When Keaney decided to enter the professional leagues, he became the first coach ever to be signed by the Boston Celtics." - The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall Of Fame
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The Dude Abides!
Slava Ukraini!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago It's been long enough since I last did this...WARNING RANT WARNING

Rant? I think this is one of the most important posts to ever be made on KB. Every time I'm on campus and walk by Rodman I always wonder why the school isn't capitalizing on the basketball history that no other school can really claim.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Yup, it's why Rodman Hall is my avatar. That's where it all began.

I'd be willing to bet 8 of 10 library and research scientists in the building have no idea about the history that was made in there.
Go Rhody!!!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......put Frank Keaney somehow in the KB banner, and some type of on-going display in the RC......I shoulda added, my a Dad was on the Keaney teams roster, ‘37, ‘38, ‘39......
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I also think every court we have should be the Frank Keaney Court. Dude is a Hall of Famer and a NCAA Basketball Legend.
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

My dad was a student in the forties and would spend Saturday afternoons at Rodman. His dorm was East hall and his stories were amazing. I thought Kearney was a pit...no way you could compare it with Rodman. He told me his feet would hang over from the balcony. Boy, if I could go back in time.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Keaney would be unbelievable in the modern game with the 3-point line. Even during the relatively freewheeling Tyson Wheeler days, he'd probably be like "speed it up, you guys are plodding along." Paul Westhead was definitely the closest in the more modern era, when Loyola Marymount averaged 122.4 points per game (!!) in 1990. And like Keaney this was not a gimmick offense, but led to LMU making the NCAA Tournament Regional Final from a "lesser" conference and without the deceased Hank Gathers.

The fact that the Keaney name is not mentioned constantly at games I've attended since we have moved into the Ryan Center is unfathomable. There should be a Keaney factoid of the game or some other type of mention. You think of how much mileage UCLA has gotten out of the Wooden legacy although he has been gone for how many years now. Red Auerbach's last year coaching the Celtics was 1965-66, and he is on the forefront of our minds when it comes to the evolution of basketball.

In addition, the showmanship anecdotes as cited here (https://vault.si.com/vault/1978/11/27/y ... e-big-time) are great and demonstrate just how he pushed the athleticism of basketball forward.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This would be a good thing for Chris Disano to bring up with Thorr tomorrow.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We are the worst at marketing. Promoting our heritage story and great history. Celebrating and nurturing relationships with former players, teams, coaches. Building our "brand" - that is what it means. We are bad at it. When you win AND have a strong brand you will retain players, coaches, build new fans and create a community beyond the 200 or so nuts on this board. :)
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We should have some jerseys retired too !!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago This would be a good thing for Chris Disano to bring up with Thorr tomorrow.
I couldn't agree more, someone get in touch with Chris!
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

reef wrote: 4 years ago We should have some jerseys retired too !!
good point. do we have anything displayed anywhere honoring our basketball legends? I honestly can't remember seeing anything like that at the Ryan.
Go Rhody!!!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago
reef wrote: 4 years ago We should have some jerseys retired too !!
good point. do we have anything displayed anywhere honoring our basketball legends? I honestly can't remember seeing anything like that at the Ryan.
We do have a display case with EC and Hass from the NCAA run. But boy do we have a lot more history than that.........
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

I also think every court we have should be the Frank Keaney Court. Dude is a Hall of Famer and a NCAA Basketball Legend.

I agree with this. No one gives a FLYING SHIT about "Care New England". I wouldn't even trust Kent Hospital to give me a damn bandaid. Everything has to be about money. I know Lifespan is in shit so wonder what's going to happen to CNE. I would recommend a more meaningful business to be the court sponsor again. Going from Alex & Ani to Care New England was like going from semi-pathetic to equally pathetic.

I apologize in advance to the sensitive eyes here for using the "s" word. Let me repent by saying 10 Hail Marys.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If we can’t retire jerseys how bout some kind of Ring of a Honor ??
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Can we pin the Keany excerpt to the top of the board?
This is already getting buried. Seems a shame to waste a good recruiting tool & some valuable history notoriety for people visiting this board.
Should I start a poll?
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey