'20 JUCO FL CG-Keon Ellis (Alabama Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

'20 JUCO FL CG-Keon Ellis (Alabama Commit)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

placeholder
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '20 JUCO FL CG-Keon Ellis

As was posted in the general recruiting thread, we're on his list, although there are many. 9th ranked JUCO in the country. I just wanted to get this video out there...
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Looks like a Rese fill in.

I like his stats.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Here's the JUCO rankings. Ellis is at #9. Just for fun, see who is at #21.
https://www.jucorecruiting.com/2020-jun ... gs-top-100
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The top 7 are all going P5.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago The top 7 are all going P5.
As are several below Ellis. Interesting that #35 is going to Bryant.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Likely not as good of a rebounder as Martin was, but a more diverse offensive game from the wing, which was a missing element last year.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

FSW has a few good players;

Jermaine Marshall is 6'6" 220lb Freshman qualifier that averaged 10 pts and 9 reb playing only 25 min per game. Trey Landers type.
Simeon Kirkland is 6'10" 220 Soph that averaged 8 and 5 in only 18 min per game. Active body.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago The top 7 are all going P5.
The #2 Ranked Player, Jay Scrubb, is slotted as a 1st round pick in the 2020 NBA Draft fwiw.

Going as pick number 29 to the Lakers in the 1st round
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago Likely not as good of a rebounder as Martin was, but a more diverse offensive game from the wing, which was a missing element last year.
We need to improve shooting proficiency in FG, 3P and FT. Can’t have too many good shooters. 1 or 2 good shooters not enough.

Ellis fits the bill....
  • Played on One if the Top JC Teams in Country
  • Took most FG, 3P and FT Attempts on his team so stats have a good basis
  • 54% FIeld Goals
  • 40% 3 Pointers
  • 81% Free Throws

F6ABC538-E98D-4DF6-90D2-1926A8197407.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't know anything about Ellis specifically, but I am always skeptical of JUCO stats. They tend to not always be "official" if ya know what I mean...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You might be skeptical in the past but Keon plays D1 Level, all controlled by the NCAA, Referees, Scorers, etc,
Game by game statistics are maintained and published including FG, FT, 3P, Assists, steals, rebounds,
I’d me more skeptical of high school and prep school stats than NCAA JC Stats

Btw
Keon only went 4-19 on 3Ps in his last 5 games, take that away and he was (54-123) for 43% on 3Ps

In his 2 highest scoring games:

@ Miami Dade (82-71) Win 12-21 FG, 8-15 3P, 4-4 FT for 36 points
St Petersburg (92-77) Win 14-22 FG, 6-10 3P, 7-7 FT for 41 points

https://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2019- ... log&pos=sh
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I'm a pessimist by nature.....given the level of schools he is considering.....why would we be in the running without a significant connection that we may not know about?
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Playing time the key selling point with Martin departure
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago I'm a pessimist by nature.....given the level of schools he is considering.....why would we be in the running without a significant connection that we may not know about?
Sometimes just being the right fit is connection enough.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago I'm a pessimist by nature.....given the level of schools he is considering.....why would we be in the running without a significant connection that we may not know about?
Sometimes just being the right fit is connection enough.
Many players are leaving their current teams because they are getting less playing time than they expected or wanted.

Playing time is huge. Guys do not want to sit the bench.

Our need is shooting proficiency. And 1 good shooter doesn’t fix that. Need multiple good shooters.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago You might be skeptical in the past but Keon plays D1 Level, all controlled by the NCAA, Referees, Scorers, etc,
Game by game statistics are maintained and published including FG, FT, 3P, Assists, steals, rebounds,

Btw
Keon only went 4-19 on 3Ps in his last 5 games, take that away and he was (54-123) for 43% on 3Ps

Now you want me to trust the NCAA, keepers of the dreaded secretive NET that you have been arguing against all season!!! :lol: (This is just a joke if thats not clear!)

Again though, I don't mean to claim anything about Keon's stats, I know nothing about him, his coach, or his school. Just saying that from experience I know these stats can sometimes be juiced up a little to help a kid get recruited and the coach a better job, so personally I just keep that in mind anytime viewing JUCO stats.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

This guy seems really good. We are due for another legit JC.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Reminds me of Kuran Iverson. Lengthy for his position and has an arsenal of moves. Watching his highlights I saw a lot of similarities.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Need a juco or a transfer who isn’t a freshman to balance this class out. Can’t take 5 or 6 frrshman
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I like him but a lot of P5s are after him too. I don’t know how realist our chances are.
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago You might be skeptical in the past but Keon plays D1 Level, all controlled by the NCAA, Referees, Scorers, etc,

Btw

Now you want me to trust the NCAA, keepers of the dreaded secretive NET that you have been arguing against all season!!! :lol: (This is just a joke if thats not clear!)

Again though, I don't mean to claim anything about Keon's stats, I know nothing about him, his coach, or his school. Just saying that from experience I know these stats can sometimes be juiced up a little to help a kid get recruited and the coach a better job, so personally I just keep that in mind anytime viewing JUCO stats.
Very good on the NET Adam. You got me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

#1 target?
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Here's the JUCO rankings. Ellis is at #9. Just for fun, see who is at #21.
I thought Mading wasn't even starting on his JuCo team.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Here's the JUCO rankings. Ellis is at #9. Just for fun, see who is at #21.
Not only starting, but starring. Check out the box score from the last game his team played.

https://chipolaathletics.com/sports/mbk ... w=boxscore
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

What happened to all those P5 offers for Mading? Very quiet.
“We will be good when we are good.”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Isn't there a Mading thread?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
What happened to all those P5 offers for Mading? Very quiet.
He has to be the most overrated player I have ever seen on the recruiting front. How many more years until this guy accomplishes something? People kept saying look who is recruiting him and he is going to be a star. Never thought so and still feel the same way. I heard people talking about how soft Richmond was last year. He is the definition of soft.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Back to Ellis

I hope we get this guy

Ellis led his Leesburg HS to the Florida 6A State Championship hitting some big Three's in the final minutes. This was before JC of course but he was a star in High School
Ellis finished with a game-high 25 points and added 7 rebounds, 5 blocked shots, 2 assists and 2 steals.

https://www.dailycommercial.com/news/20 ... tate-title
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Does JuCo eat into his eligibility? How many years will he have?
Anyone know the story coming out of HS?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JUCO would take up two years. He would come to URI as a Junior with 2 years eligibility remaining

More info about Ellis in local paper after receiving an offer from Alabama
https://www.dailycommercial.com/sports/ ... om-alabama
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I have don’t much about Ellis, but he looks pretty good in the clips. My question is everyone keeps talking about how great a get he would be but,

a) other than having are name mentioned along with a ton of other schools, what would make us think he is even considering coming to URI at this point or are we just saying we like him and it would great to get him?

b) would he come to URI as a combo guard with Fatts, Sheppard, Martin and Leggett all in the mix? We believe Toppin will eat up most of the small forward minutes so where would his minutes come from?

He looks to be a very good player, but to me wouldn’t we have taken both Martin and Tres Berry if we wanted two more guards.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

ok, I'm going to go take a nap with my son now.

When I awaken, I fully expect this signing to be all wrapped up. Here goes nothing...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago I have don’t much about Ellis, but he looks pretty good in the clips. My question is everyone keeps talking about how great a get he would be but,

a) other than having are name mentioned along with a ton of other schools, what would make us think he is even considering coming to URI at this point or are we just saying we like him and it would great to get him?

b) would he come to URI as a combo guard with Fatts, Sheppard, Martin and Leggett all in the mix? We believe Toppin will eat up most of the small forward minutes so where would his minutes come from?

He looks to be a very good player, but to me wouldn’t we have taken both Martin and Tres Berry if we wanted two more guards.
Only going by the news..................

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago JUCO would take up two years. He would come to URI as a Junior with 2 years eligibility remaining

More info about Ellis in local paper after receiving an offer from Alabama
https://www.dailycommercial.com/sports/ ... om-alabama

His JUCO numbers and physical size are great. If he’s a veteran player at 6’6” that can come off a high post pick and hit 40% deep balls I’m in.

That’s the secret sauce in a high post offense - opens up everything. If he’s skilled at firing a quick pass down low to hit a cutter he’s solid gold.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Kids video looks great this would be an amazing signing
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I dont like competing with Alabama with this guy. They just let guys go down and jack up threes all game long. I'm sure that is appealing to anybody like him.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

To anyone wondering where his minutes will come from I ask, where do you think our scoring is going to come from. We just lost 3 of our 4 top scorers, and our top scorer is still not 100% back with us next season. We need bucket getters. If this kid is a bigger Xavier munford type then sign me up.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Are you ready for your mystery date......will he be a dream or a dud....

We are all getting aflutter about a player whose name no one knows.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Mystery Date is a board game from the Milton Bradley Company released in 1965, conceived by Marvin Glass and created by Henry Stan. Marketed to girls 6 to 14 years of age......and now being marketed to KeaneyBlue members.

Mystery Date can be played with 2, 3, or 4 players. The object of the game is to acquire a desirable date, while avoiding the "dud". The player must assemble an outfit by acquiring three matching color-coded cards, which then must match the outfit of the date at the "mystery door". The date is revealed by spinning the door handle and opening the plastic door on the game board. The five possible dates are the "formal dance" date, the "bowling" date, the "beach" date, the "skiing" date, and the "dud".

The date to be avoided is the poorly dressed "dud". He is wearing slovenly attire, his hair is tousled, and his face sports a beard shadow.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago Mystery Date is a board game from the Milton Bradley Company released in 1965, conceived by Marvin Glass and created by Henry Stan. Marketed to girls 6 to 14 years of age......and now being marketed to KeaneyBlue members.

Mystery Date can be played with 2, 3, or 4 players. The object of the game is to acquire a desirable date, while avoiding the "dud". The player must assemble an outfit by acquiring three matching color-coded cards, which then must match the outfit of the date at the "mystery door". The date is revealed by spinning the door handle and opening the plastic door on the game board. The five possible dates are the "formal dance" date, the "bowling" date, the "beach" date, the "skiing" date, and the "dud".

The date to be avoided is the poorly dressed "dud". He is wearing slovenly attire, his hair is tousled, and his face sports a beard shadow.
You lost me with this one.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago Mystery Date is a board game from the Milton Bradley Company released in 1965, conceived by Marvin Glass and created by Henry Stan. Marketed to girls 6 to 14 years of age......and now being marketed to KeaneyBlue members.

For the record, I had this game, and loved it! That will tell you how damned old I am!!!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago I have don’t much about Ellis, but he looks pretty good in the clips. My question is everyone keeps talking about how great a get he would be but,

I posted this under General Recruiting thread this morning:
I heard last night from a source who has never sent me any recruiting info ever.
He said they are in the mix for a big time player should know more in the next day or so.

My guess is it is either a P5 transfer or Keon Ellis.
We are still active with Ellis.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I heard last night from a source who has never sent me any recruiting info ever.
He said they are in the mix for a big time player should know more in the next day or so.

Is this guy usually a reliable source?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

That sounds promising. Thanks
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You can comment on his IG. Seems like a lot of Alabama and Iowa State fans are commenting. Gotta show him some love.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I think I kinda get Ramulous point.

Normally you’d bring a kid in after vetting. Give the tour have him run a few offensive plays you have in mind to slot the player in offensively, do a BB skilz test, check for understanding of basketball IQ and determine if coaching can be accepted.

These aren’t normal times and there’s high level hoops on those videos. This kid demonstrates to me (disagree if you like) an ability to easily score 5-7 buckets a night in last seasons URI offense. I liked that quick hard pass to the cutter on the baseline.

This could be the final piece.

Of course there are others and all of these recent recruits (with exception of Malik Martin) are a massive gamble.

Cox feels he can coach it all up.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If we get this guy I would think he immediately starts kid has too many skills