Silence The Alarms

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Silence The Alarms

Unread post by Blue Man »

I figured this deserved it's own thread, because there are a few negative nancies who are unimpressed with the overall body of work of the coach, a few who still want to ring alarm bells, and a few others who will just react in a manic fashion to wins and losses as they happen, in the "if we win we're great and if we lose we're the worst" sort of way. This is in solidarity with those posted up in camp reasonable with the understanding of a young team with a new coach.

Obviously, going into last night's game I think the alarm bells were justified.

We had seen not just inconsistent play, but more worrisome inconsistent effort for the last month and a half. I don't think the concerns were so much the shots not falling, as they were the lack of a reaction from Cox, and more importantly the lack of adjustments made to the roster, rotation, and minutes played.

Everyone understands that a team that lost it's head coach, 5 seniors, and 4 starters - will have nights full of head-scratching mistakes and plays, followed by flashes of talent and glimpses of the future. The problem I think most people saw, was that there were no obvious adjustments made on game day, nor were there any to stop tail spins from getting out of control on the court.

The George Mason game was a master class in everything wrong - punctuated by a lack of adjustments or radical changes that would've sent a message to the team, or certain players, to change the way they played defense, their effort, or poor decision making. Think of when Hurley benched his entire starting lineup against La Salle to send a message.

With Dave Cox's comments in the paper this week, last night was not so much as a "must win" as it was a "must make changes" type game.

Boy did he ever.

The most obvious change was Tyrese Martin over CT. Nevermind the kid's obvious talent, he was the ONLY PLAYER consistently trailing behind on fast breaks - which led to 2 great buckets (one fantastic dunk), and kept 4 points on the board instead of coming the other way to let SBU back into the game. That effort alone is worth rewarding, and I'm happy we saw that change.

Fatts Russell played his best and most complete game as a Ram - with an obvious change in attitude, offensive play, and shot selection. Certainly not his most impactful game on the stat sheet or with big shots (he still dropped 18), but he looked like a leader and a floor general, and had a clear objective going into tonight.

Cox's offense had more clear direction and not this "you bring it up or you bring it up I don't care" type ball that we had seen earlier.

Cox realized that he couldn't ride Jeff for 38 minutes and allowed Fatts and Silverio to spell him.

Most importantly, we had a deep bench rotation for the first time all year. We played 9 guys who all saw significant minutes starting in the first half. Players were accountable. Cox was COACHING players when they made mistakes - sitting them and having Sutton or Ty or TJ in their ear to talk about what they did wrong, and then putting them back in to see the changes.

With the youth and inexperience on this team, a 9 man rotation will help everyone moving forward while they all try to figure out basketball at this level.

CT's effort is still worrisome in spots, but I think the more you see Martin/Tate emerge, the more confident Cox will be to share those minutes with the freshmen.

All in all, my long point here is this: David Cox is a young coach, just like Hurley was. All you ever want to see with a young coach is a willingness to make changes, and actions to back up the words.

Last night's performance was much bigger than one game, it was indicative of the point that Cox is still learning, but more importantly willing to learn and make changes as he sees fit. You can't erase early losses, and I am certainly not saying we are an at-large team or that we'll go undefeated, or even that we'll see good, consistent play the rest of the conference slate.

We are young and will continue to have growing pains the rest of this season. But we're certainly willing to make changes and are capable of being a better team, and that's why I'm so optimistic of what I watched last night.

I still think this could be an NCAA team (via the autobid) - based on the fact that we're young and will continue to get better, and the fact that no one can say that any one team in the A10 is unbeatable.

Buckle up and lets get ready for a fun as shit rest of the way.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Re: Silence The Alarms

Unread post by NC_Ram »

spot on!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Good post. And tbh, there is a limited number of moves a coach can make if no one can hit a shot, beyond benching the whole team. I have been impressed with the game to game adjustments thus far, last night we showed zone out of a few timeouts and went into a passive press at end to stop them from just getting quick 2s when ou guys were avoiding fouls. First half saw probably our best man 2 man defensive intensity of the year. Have seen new wrinkles on offense as well over last few games. Now it’s all about consistency but see nothing that should ring the alarm on Coach Cox. This is not an easy team to coach for a lot of reasons. Can’t help but be excited about Tyrese, he even showed the ability to put it on the deck last night.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

yup, I tried to tell them earlier and they didnt want to hear it.

a bunch had completely unrealistic expectations for what a new coach looks like in his first year. There is a learning curve. He will make mistakes that cost them games, it comes with the territory. Exactly the same way freshman players look. World beaters 1 game, hopeless the next. Consistency is not something you get from a rookie coach or from freshmen.

There isnt a chance in hell I complain about 9-7 (2-2) given:

- new coach in his 1st HC job
- lost 4 senior starters and 75% of the offense as well as all of the leadership the team had
- integrating 4 freshmen

Even if Hurley was still here, we'd be 1, maybe 2 games better than where we currently sit. Lets not forget that the Hurley teams were prone to periods of inconsistency and bad losses too (same as every other team not named Duke in the NCAA)
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Good post. I applaud the benching of Thompson but think he still played too many minutes based on what he's bringing. I'm also not sold yet on this team's effort/chemistry. When was the last time someone drew a charge? Guys on bench are not rooting for their teammates. Still too much arguing on the court.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I think adding silverio to the rotation will help a lot for Jeff and Fatts keep their legs. PLus he can hit shots, even if hes a step slower on defense its worth the gamble
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Good post. I applaud the benching of Thompson but think he still played too many minutes based on what he's bringing. I'm also not sold yet on this team's effort/chemistry. When was the last time someone drew a charge? Guys on bench are not rooting for their teammates. Still too much arguing on the court.
I think that is fair criticism/observation. I too have seen some bad body language, and lack of effort at times, that we did not see under DH. However, i think that is a very natural output of a rookie coach and the 306th youngest team in the country that has gone through some adversity. But I don't see a culture problem, it's more a function of guys and coaches still figuring out their roles and how they all fit together cohesively.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Good post. I applaud the benching of Thompson but think he still played too many minutes based on what he's bringing. I'm also not sold yet on this team's effort/chemistry. When was the last time someone drew a charge? Guys on bench are not rooting for their teammates. Still too much arguing on the court.
I think that is fair criticism/observation. I too have seen some bad body language, and lack of effort at times, that we did not see under DH. However, i think that is a very natural output of a rookie coach and the 306th youngest team in the country that has gone through some adversity. But I don't see a culture problem, it's more a function of guys and coaches still figuring out their roles and how they all fit together cohesively.
I see Will up at most times cheering on the guys on the court! I do not see a culture problem either between the staff or the players.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just need to find more consistency, we can't have one good game one bad game
We lay an egg at LaSalle on Saturday then this board will be up in arms
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It won't be time to silence the alarm until this team strings along several good games and wins. The good game bad game pattern rightfully merits concern.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......these are consistent with my thoughts on where we are.......Show me.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago It won't be time to silence the alarm until this team strings along several good games and wins. The good game bad game pattern rightfully merits concern.
I believe the train is back on the tracks. As I said in multiple posts this week, Cox is too experienced of a basketball man to blow his first big chance by putting a poorly prepared undisciplined team on the floor night after night.

Also repeating from another post I made today the thought has crossed my mind that the implosion that occurred Sunday might have been allowed to happen as his way of sending the strongest possible message. I haven’t witnessed a mess like that since the days of Duh!

Let’s hope the track is straight going forward. From what I have seen of this league there is no reason we can’t secure the automatic bid with a tourney win in March.

I think David Cox can coach.

Go Rhody.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago It won't be time to silence the alarm until this team strings along several good games and wins. The good game bad game pattern rightfully merits concern.
I honestly think this is the wrong lens thru which to view this team and this season. As Blue Man said, the inconsistency is likely not going away this year based on the reality that this is a very young team with a new coaching staff, new leaders, new roles - up and down the program. The inconsistency only really matters for this year’s team to the extent that you have certain expectations about the final record which aren’t going to be met. Otherwise, it’s beside the point.

The general thrust of the OP, which I wholeheartedly agree with, is that there have been signs of the individual talent and promise that we will need to compete at the level we want to compete at when the roster matures and, after last night, now there is some tangible proof that the coach is not in over his head or too timid to make a change that could rock the boat a little bit if it might be good for the team overall. Ultimately this is all about the future: the A10 tournament this year, then next season and the season after that. I think all of us would willingly watch this team take its lumps right now if we are confident that we will get to where we want to go down the road. I don’t think last night was a sign that this team suddenly “gets it” and is now going to run off 13 wins in a row, but I do think it is a sign that there is still reason to be confident in where all of this is headed which will make the process of getting there less frustrating.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

All well and good TP, but we need to see more consistency of effort. That should be a given for this program, like it was 99% of the time under Dan.

Yes I realize some of that can be laid at the feet of being a very young team that might get down on themselves when shots aren't falling, etc.

But guys like Thompson have got to step it up....he's not a massively talented enough individual where he can take nights off and not hurt the team.

Selfish or lazy players have no place here.

As for DC, a nice bump up imo….he pushed most of the right buttons, made positive changes where my opinion of his development as a head coach took a positive step. A-......the minus is he still gave CT too much PT based on his play.
Last edited by rambone 78 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm really optimistic after the changes coach made. Inserting Martin into the start was well warranted, and his 18 points just confirmed the move. Fatts only taking two 3 pointers and still scoring 18 shows that coach reigned him in. Once the young guys play with confidence, then we will be good. I hope that confidence comes soon.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago Image
Oh no... not the DRAKE CURSE !!!!

Ugh !!!!!

We are doomed 😀
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Cox gave us hope that he is up to the job. Which players on the team has he motivated and which players has he turned off? Did he wait too long to demand commitment? Time will tell, but he has taken the first step - better late than never. I don't make grand judgements based on one game.

Harris is the most talented freshman with the most upside potential and Cox has not motivated him to play up to his potential. Cox needs to get through to him. Fatts was the most disappointing returnee; and most effected by Cox's lack of leadership until the SBU game. Righting these two will yield the greatest improvement going forward.
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Harris will be good no doubt, but Tyrese might be the best of them all.

This kid will be an all timer for Rhody by the time he is done here.

The biggest key right now is for Fatts to rinse and repeat last night's performance.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Blue Man, glad this came from you. It was needed. You’ve even begun to reign yourself in some. There is no formula to this shit. We just have a list of hypothetical’s to run through before the season ends to determine what fucking works. PERIOD. I love this team, thick and thin, I’m going to ride with them. I may hate them one night and love them the next, but isn’t that how marriages work?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
I see Will up at most times cheering on the guys on the court! I do not see a culture problem either between the staff or the players.
That's Will's role. I'd like to see it from everyone
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago

That's Will's role. I'd like to see it from everyone
Exactly- he will be missed when he graduates in May.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The energy and enthusiasm on the court Weds was a significant first step. They need that every game. For this group to be competitive at the top of the A10 they need to be very good defensively. They don’t have the skilled offensive players to win without great defense. Dan built a good team the last 3 years on great defense. The offense get very stagnant at times with the weave on the perimeter and someone gets stuck with 5 seconds on the shot clock. The biggest improvement on offense can coming from reducing their turnovers to 10/game. I am hoping the energy makes it to the guys when they are on the bench. That would be another boost.
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

On the coach's show last night, Cox said that one of the goals for each game was no more than 10 turnovers per game. He's increased that to 12 to try and encourage more sharing and trying to put pass recipients in better position to score. I agree with that idea.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I was not there, was there any noticeable difference in the pre game warm ups/layups at the Bona game?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Great post.

Most everything has been said here thus far except for this: Hurley’s first few seasons were terrible. Painful. Realistically, I was only comfortable for the last 18 or so months he was in Kingston.

I’m WAY more comfortable with what I see of Cox early in his career than I was with Hurley. The W/L results are undeniably better (sure, so is the talent... but Cox also recruited half of them) and so is his conduct... Danny was recently ejected from a UConn game. Loved his intensity but at times it was outright embarrassing and appeared to have a negative effect on game flow.

I think people’s expectations of this season were wildly high for the situation. While I thought it was possible this team could be a huge surprise out of the gate, they have still met or outperformed my realistic expectations in most cases.

This season is also far from over. Plenty of big games in conference play left that provide opportunities for this team to continue finding itself.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think this team is on track to meet my expectations for this year....that was 18 wins in the regular season....they are currently 4-2 which means they need to go 7-5 the rest of the way.

Now I think there's a chance they outperform this by a game or 2....we will see very soon if they are in position to do so....the next 2-3 games will tell a lot...win one they should today and beat St. Louis, and I think 19-20 wins is doable.

Would be nice....I'm sure there will be a couple more clunkers ahead...they aren't out of the woods yet with the youth and inexperience thing....Cox is definitely showing the ability to make solid adjustments and that's a really good sign for the future.

Having the talent on this squad is another good thing...they have that for sure. The only thing they are really missing is guard depth.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Maybe playing for the top conference slot in less than a week?
Win today, win wednesday. Packed for SLU on a roll Saturday...
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ......I was not there, was there any noticeable difference in the pre game warm ups/layups at the Bona game?
No, because it’s was a stupid premise to begin with.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ......I was not there, was there any noticeable difference in the pre game warm ups/layups at the Bona game?
I have kept my pre-game consistent by not dunking (for an entire lifetime). I'm totally committed to it. I don't think it's stupid at all.
Then again, I'm 5'10" and could never really jump over a phone book. If I could dunk, I might not probably wouldn't do anything else though...ever.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
I have kept my pre-game consistent by not dunking (for an entire lifetime). I'm totally committed to it. I don't think it's stupid at all.
Then again, I'm 5'10" and could never really jump over a phone book. If I could dunk, I might not probably wouldn't do anything else though...ever.
LMAO
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

just read through a lot of these comments made by many of us...

Now I am even more upset.

:(

On track was a common phrase...might have to find an emoji....

It was worth revisiting this is a good message board, the ebb and flow of our observations this season is quite fascinating.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!