Week #9 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #9 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

Week #9 begins. The A-10 continues to be absent from both national polls. As one measure of the overall quality of the OOC schedule no URI OOC opponent gets votes in either poll or in the other votes category, again something not seen in years.

Duke assumes the #1 position in both polls.

The loss to Hawaii had the expected negative impact on URI rankings.

Rankings versus previous week:
NET - 102, up 1
BPI - 110, down 12
Sagarin - 95, down 9
Pomeroy - 104, down 5

The cumulative record to date for URI OOC opponents now stands at 90-62, .592, a slight increase from the previous week.

With the completion of the conference's OCC schedule completed, the A-10 record is 96-83, .536, not exactly a stellar achievement.

Slow start to the week with few games on this last day of 2018.

In the A-10, only game was Duquesne hosting surprising NJIT and the Dukes, trailing most of game, lost, 78-67. This game completed Duquesne's OOC schedule which included 10 home games, two games held at the PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh, and one true road game at Notre Dame.

In a game now underway at the Dunk, PC trails Creighton at the half, 34-31
Last edited by Obadiah 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Week #9 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PC loses by 11 at home. Not a good start to Big East play. Next up Nova, @ GTown, Seton Hall, @ Marquette. All without Reeves. They could be looking at 0-5.
“We will be good when we are good.”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

In other New England action, BC falls in OT at home to Hartford 79-78. Eagles are now 9-3 with its two other losses also at home (6-3 at Conte) to IUPUI and PC.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Happy to see PC take it on the chin at home. Hopefully this puts a dent in their at large chances
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Happy to see PC take it on the chin at home. Hopefully this puts a dent in their at large chances
I don’t think one game is going to put a huge dent... they still have 9 Q1 games and 6 Q2 games left in their 17 conference games. They did not play terrible today but Creighton hit some stupidly difficult shots at the end of the shot clock. At one point of the game they hit 10 straight 3s and a good number of them were contested. That’ll sink a good number of teams.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
reef wrote: 5 years ago Happy to see PC take it on the chin at home. Hopefully this puts a dent in their at large chances
I don’t think one game is going to put a huge dent... they still have 9 Q1 games and 6 Q2 games left in their 17 conference games. They did not play terrible today but Creighton hit some stupidly difficult shots at the end of the shot clock. At one point of the game they hit 10 straight 3s and a good number of them were contested. That’ll sink a good number of teams.
RJ, how do you see PC doing in their next four games without Reeves - Nova, @ GTown, S Hall, @ Marquette?
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
RJ, how do you see PC doing in their next four games without Reeves - Nova, @ GTown, S Hall, @ Marquette?
Maybe it’s the tequila speaking, but I’m thinking 2-2. However, I think any result is possible, outside of 4-0. I think PC is actually playing decent basketball, I thought today they just ran into a buzzsaw. If they consistently play like they did today and continuously improve, 10-8 is definitely possible IMHO.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Limited action on New Year's Day given this day sports wise is devoted to college football.

No games in the A-10.

One game is Marquette playing at St. John's and the outcome will be of interest since Marquette, playing on the road, is the only BE team currently ranked in the Top 25 and St. John's is a team URI met in a pre season scrimmage.

To all on this forum:

Happy New Year!!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

It was a pretty entertaining game for a while. You're absolutely right about Creighton's shooting - they hit some ri-dic-ulous 3's. I wouldn't say they were just 'contested', these were 3s hit with guys all over them. If Creighton shoots anything close to the way they did yesterday, they will have a really nice season.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago Limited action on New Year's Day given this day sports wise is devoted to college football.

No games in the A-10.

One game is Marquette playing at St. John's and the outcome will be of interest since Marquette, playing on the road, is the only BE team currently ranked in the Top 25 and St. John's is a team URI met in a pre season scrimmage.

To all on this forum:

Happy New Year!!
Nice win for St J. Does that make Rhody's secret scrimmage win a Q1 secret scrimmage win? Will we get a secret NET bump?
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

#18 Marquette in only its second true road game of season, is easily defeated at St. John's, 89-69. Marquette held a brief two point lead midway in the first half, but thereafter it was all Johnnies as they had superior shooting on all fronts all night - put in eleven treys. In true Big East fashion, Marquette was 11-2 in the OOC with 10 home games and one road game (a loss to Indiana) and two neutral site games. You don't deserve to be ranked, if you can't show a quality true road win.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago #18 Marquette in only its second true road game of season, is easily defeated at St. John's, 89-69. Marquette held a brief two point lead midway in the first half, but thereafter it was all Johnnies as they had superior shooting on all fronts all night - put in eleven treys. In true Big East fashion, Marquette was 11-2 in the OOC with 10 home games and one road game (a loss to Indiana) and two neutral site games. You don't deserve to be ranked, if you can't show a quality true road win.
you are being too nice. That is an ass kicking. 20 point loss.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The BE will end up having several bubble teams this March.

No 6-7 slam dunks [based on RPI] as in prior years.

They also aren't likely to get maybe 1 or 2 tops past the first weekend of the tourney either. Maybe none!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think that win will get Johnnies in the Top 25

As much as I am pulling against PC they probably do get to 10-8 in conf and another Big dance
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Limited action continues on Wednesday.

No games in the A-10.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

#11 Texas Tech at West Virginia, 7 PM. On ESPNU.

Harvard at #15 North Carolina, 7 PM. On ESPN2. Go Crimson!

Maine at Brown, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Bucknell at Army, 7PM.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 5 years ago I think that win will get Johnnies in the Top 25

As much as I am pulling against PC they probably do get to 10-8 in conf and another Big dance
PC has NET of 89 through 14 OOC games where only 2 of the 14 were road games
That rating puts them 8th in a down year for the NBE
Reeves is out
Duke has not performed to the level many expected he would being a Top 50 recruit
You may be right that PC makes the NCAA Tournament but if so that should be a heck of a Coaching job by Ed C
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago

Reeves is out
Duke has not performed to the level many expected he would being a Top 50 recruit
You may be right that PC makes the NCAA Tournament but if so that should be a heck of a Coaching job by Ed C
I agree. We are about to see how good a game coach Cooley is. They could lose their next 4 games. If they do, it will be hard to rebound from an 0-5 BE start.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Come on WVU and Harvard!
GO RAMS
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In a close match, WVU lost on their home court to #11 Texas Tech, 62-59.

Harvard was soundly beaten by UNC, 87-67.

After trailing 37-13 at the half, Bucknell came back to nip Army, 64-63. FWIW, Brown beat Army earlier by 20 points.

Brown beat Maine. 75-67. Brown led comfortably through most of the game, but with the Bruins holding a ten point lead, Maine put on a furious rally in the last 4 minutes of game to close to 2 with 90 seconds left on the clock, but the Black Bears could get no further.
Last edited by Obadiah 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Reeves is out
I agree. We are about to see how good a game coach Cooley is. They could lose their next 4 games. If they do, it will be hard to rebound from an 0-5 BE start.
They won’t lose their next 4. BE is similar to A10 this year, but with overall better teams. A lot of parity, young teams or teams in transition, no dominant team. They could all go 9-9 this year.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago

Reeves is out
They won’t lose their next 4. BE is similar to A10 this year, but with overall better teams. A lot of parity, young teams or teams in transition, no dominant team. They could all go 9-9 this year.
Villanova Loss
@ GTown ?
Seton Hall Loss
@ Marquette Loss
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

True I actually think PC will beat Nova at home on Saturday
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCONN loses to USF. UConn was up 8 at half and loses by 8. Out scored 51-35 in the second half.
USF was projected to finish last in the American. Oh boy.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am far more concerned with David Cox and how Rhody does in its next four games.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Nova just about beat lowly DePaul at home tonight. Nova does not look like a special team this year.

Hate to say it but the Friars probably will beat them on Saturday and may be favored but of course I hope Nova wins by at least 35.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I think it will be close to a pick em spread Nova PC

Watched that USF UConn game looks like Brian Gregory turning things around there
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Yes! Inject their tears directly into my veins!

If there is a fanbase that doesn't deserve Dan, it's UConn.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Wow, just saw the score. I watched the first half and thought UConn would win no problem. Oh well, looks like...'problem!'
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Just had to share this.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The A-10 officially opens its conference schedule on Thursday as George Mason visits Saint Joseph's in the only conference game of the evening, 7:30 PM. On CBSSN.

St. Francis (BKN) at Bryant, 7 PM.

Holy Cross at Loyola (MD), 7 PM.

Charleston at Towson, 7 PM.

Western Kentucky at Charlotte, 7:30 PM.

Florida International at Middle Tennessee, 7:30 PM. On ESPN+.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago UCONN loses to USF. UConn was up 8 at half and loses by 8. Out scored 51-35 in the second half.
Dan's had a few recent losses where his Huskies were vastly outplayed in the second half. Huskies have been outscored by nearly 20pts in each of the last two games after halftime. Queue the "Dan can't make in-game adjustments" crew...

Not pretty.
ConnVill.png
ConnVillGameFlow.png
ConnUSF.png
ConnUSFGameFlow.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago UCONN loses to USF. UConn was up 8 at half and loses by 8. Out scored 51-35 in the second half.
Dan's had a few recent losses where his Huskies were vastly outplayed in the second half. Huskies have been outscored by nearly 20pts in each of the last two games after halftime. Queue the "Dan can't make in-game adjustments" crew...

Not pretty.

ConnVill.png
ConnVillGameFlow.png

ConnUSF.png
ConnUSFGameFlow.png
I never thought Dan was a particularly good in-game coach UNTIL Coach Cox joined the staff. Even then, his continued reliance on nothing but man D when the game was screaming for something else was mind boggling. He was a promoter, a builder and everything we needed at the time.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Talked to a big UConn booster today and he told me he's concerned about Dan's X and O's ability.

Asked him did you see a lot of his games at URI? How DH would play stall ball and fritter away late leads?

I mean you have to give Dan time to get his own players, but I told him give him another year or two and if things don't change, well then they have a problem.

Hey they wanted him badly. Now they have him, and they aren't so sure anymore. We'll see.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

My favorite Hurley quotes after the game last night:
“We exhibit all the symptoms of a team that's not good."

“When the snowball starts rolling down the hill, we cave in."

You can talk about in game adjustments but when your team gets beat to every loose ball and gives up 6 offensive rebounds off of missed FTs you have to look at effort and focus. They are going to see Dan Hurley the ahole in practice for the next week.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Talked to a big UConn booster today and he told me he's concerned about Dan's X and O's ability.

Asked him did you see a lot of his games at URI? How DH would play stall ball and fritter away late leads?

I mean you have to give Dan time to get his own players, but I told him give him another year or two and if things don't change, well then they have a problem.

Hey they wanted him badly. Now they have him, and they aren't so sure anymore. We'll see.
Dan is going to be fine there and while I love to see UConn fans upset, the ones that are bitching about him now are idiots. I’d say those ingrates don’t deserve him, but as we well know, our fan base is not short on silly fans or fans that doubted Hurley before the wagon started rolling (the Venn Diagram there is nearly two overlapping circles).
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

These tweets are full of BS. This kid played 9 games for Oregon. He was playing for his “dream school” (it must have been a really short dream) for his “favorite coach” (for 9 games). Just be honest. You wished you could’ve went directly to the pros and avoid college completely. The “best part” of Bol’s life lasted 5 weeks.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Well I'm certainly not pom pom cheering for DH to succeed at uconn. In fact complete opposite. Their fans are bitching he is playing a 3 guard line-up and the bigs are soft. Guess they never watched URI basketball the last couple years. Gonna be interesting.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

GMU pulls away late in the 2nd half to blow away St Joe's at Hawk Hill 85- 60.

OOC Opponents tonight
WINS
Bryant
Holy Cross
Charleston

LOSSES
Charlotte
Mid Tenn State
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In an opening shocker, George Mason beat Saint Joseph's, 85-60. This was a one point game with 12 minutes left when GMU exploded to win going away!!! Putting in 15 threes on 53.6% shooting did help. A nice road win for GMU.

Nice win for Bryant as they defeat St. Francis (BKN), 76-66. Bryant dominated the first half, but the second stanza was closely contested and Bryant manage to get separation in the last three minutes of game.

Holy Cross wins at Loyola (MD), 80-73. The Crusaders led most of the game by double digits.

Charleston won its tenth straight as they opened up the CAA season with a road win over Towson, 67-55.

On a comparative basis, not great news from tonight's games in C-USA land:

Western Kentucky routed Charlotte, in a game that was only close for 10 minutes, 68-50, and Florida International handed Middle Tennessee, its tenth consecutive loss, 83-76.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say it ain't so Phil Martelli and St Joes U !!!

As far as UConn goes they will be fine it's year 1 and DH gets his normal pass

They struggle in Year 2 and 3 then the natives will get restless
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Some of them are already restless, reef.

I think they expected a rose garden right off the bat, and we could have told them not so fast.

Dan will get more talent there and then their fans can make judgements.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Well I'm certainly not pom pom cheering for DH to succeed at uconn. In fact complete opposite. Their fans are bitching he is playing a 3 guard line-up and the bigs are soft. Guess they never watched URI basketball the last couple years. Gonna be interesting.
I’m not Pom Pom waiving for him/them, either. I just think it is a virtual certainty that they’re going to be really, really good with him there. I’d love to see them fail, but it isn’t anything against Dan. I respect the hell out of the guy as a coach and honestly can’t see him failing at anything, and on a personal level I feel bad rooting against him and wanting him to fail because I really like him. I just hate UConn so much that if my brother went there to coach I’d root for him to fail, too.

So yeah, I’d say my feelings on Dan at Uconn are complicated. Haha. Really love the guy, hope he fails, think it’s a virtual certainty he won’t. Typical shit.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I feel the same way TP good analogy
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Say it ain't so Phil Martelli and St Joes U !!!
The Hawks led 51-50 with 12 minutes left to play. George Mason ended the game on a 35-9 run to win by 25 (85-30).

Martelli has generally been a good coach usually getting the most out of what he had. I however have never liked his personality as he has always rubbed me the wrong way. He seems totally wrapped up in himself and never gives anyone else any credit.

One has to wonder if time has passed Martelli by. The run with Nelson and West is long gone by and he has just three NCAA bids in the 14 seasons since then. Recent years have been somewhat lean. He is very handsomely paid having been making a lot more than URI's coaches. Given the small size of the school and its limited revenue streams (gym is among the smallest in the A-10), it begs the question whether things can continue as is at Hawk Hill. The school recently got a new AD and it may be time for Phil (will be 65 in August) to start thinking of his ride off into the sunset.

Martelli Record
2018-19 7-6 to date
2017-18 16-16
2016-17 11-20
2015-16 28-8 (NCAA 2nd round)
2014-15 13-18
2013-14 24-10 (NCAA)
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago In an opening shocker, George Mason beat Saint Joseph's, 85-60. This was a one point game with 12 minutes left when GMU exploded to win going away!!! Putting in 15 threes on 53.6% shooting did help. A nice road win for GMU
Maybe the league has finally found some new, competent referees -- you know, who don't roll over and play dead for Young Frankenstein.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Talked to a big UConn booster today and he told me he's concerned about Dan's X and O's ability.

I have spoken to many UConn boosters and overwhelming consensus is they are thrilled with DH, and chalk any shortcomings up to the talent. Obviously that will wear off if in 2-3 years he isn't winning at the level they expect, with his guys.

But the knocks on his coaching ability by some here is nutso to me, I am guessing 99 out of 100 of you would take him back in a second if the opportunity presented itself tomorrow. First it was, 'he can't teach offense all he does is let Xavier Munford gun away, our offense is ranked 200 in the country'. Then he got his guys and our offense was Top 50ish two years in a row. Then it was 'he can't recruit big guys' - until he got Cyril, Jermaine. Then it was 'he can't teach X's and O's', until numerous stats showed how proficient we were in ATO situations where the coach actually is diagramming step by step instructions on what to do next. And now in the end we are landing on 'he can't hold a lead, he plays stall ball'. Here is a theory, do you think with a senior laden team in the middle of an 11,12,13 game winning streak in the grind of a season that maybe he was trying at times to conserve energy and milk clock late in games versus playing stall ball, whatever that is defined as. Did Jim Valvano play stall ball when he milked the clock on his way to an NCAA championship?

IMO the only coaching criticism I would pin on DH is at times his belief in himself is so high that he is slow to adapt or accept a different way of doing things. This is a nuanced critique though, because his conviction and his ways of doing things have proven to be very effective at every job he has had. And I am guessing that as he matures as a coach and gets more seasoned this will be an area he will improve.
PillPushr
Michael Andersen

Unread post by PillPushr »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
The Hawks led 51-50 with 12 minutes left to play. Mason ended the game on a 35-9 run to win by 25 (85-30).

Martelli has generally been a good coach usually getting the most out of what he had. I however have never liked his personality as he has always rubbed me the wrong way. He seems totally wrapped up in himself and never gives anyone else any credit.

One has to wonder if time has passed Martelli by. The run with Nelson and West is long gone by and he has just three NCAA bids in the 14 seasons since then. Recent years have been somewhat lean. He is very handsomely paid having been making a lot more than URI's coaches. Given the small size of the school and its limited revenues streams (gym is among the smallest in the A-10), it begs the question whether things can continue as is at hawk Hill. The school recently got a new AD and it may be time for Phil (will be 65 in August) to start thinking of his ride off into the sunset.

Martelli Record
2018-19 7-6 to date
2017-18 16-16
2016-17 11-20
2014-15 13-18
2013-14 24-10 (NCAA)
I would say maybe to that one. St. Joe's was supposed to be good this year, and they aren't living up to expectations (like a lot of A10 teams this year unfortunately). I've always thought he was a decent X and O guy, who can forget him coaching circles around Hurley last year on senior night. Also, have to remember it was just 3 seasons ago when they were a shot away from the Sweet 16 , they had #1 seed Oregon on the ropes in that second round matchup.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RE: Martelli. I know Twitter isn't exactly the best thermometer for a fan base, but there is a growing number of vocal St. Joe's fans out there that want Martelli gone. They're hungry for some new blood, i.e. a young, hungry, up-and-coming coach. I can't say I would disagree.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago RE: Martelli. I know Twitter isn't exactly the best thermometer for a fan base, but there is a growing number of vocal St. Joe's fans out there that want Martelli gone. They're hungry for some new blood, i.e. a young, hungry, up-and-coming coach. I can't say I would disagree.

Unless they win the A-10 tournament, St Joe's will not be going to the NCAA this year. That would mean just three trips in the last 15 years for one of the league's highest paid coaches. Per my understanding, ticket prices at St Joe's are very high due to the smallness of their gym (4,200). High prices with few NCAA trips generally makes fans unhappy.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PillPushr wrote: 5 years ago
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
The Hawks led 51-50 with 12 minutes left to play. Mason ended the game on a 35-9 run to win by 25 (85-30).

One has to wonder if time has passed Martelli by. The run with Nelson and West is long gone by and he has just three NCAA bids in the 14 seasons since then. Recent years have been somewhat lean. He is very handsomely paid having been making a lot more than URI's coaches. Given the small size of the school and its limited revenues streams (gym is among the smallest in the A-10), it begs the question whether things can continue as is at hawk Hill. The school recently got a new AD and it may be time for Phil (will be 65 in August) to start thinking of his ride off into the sunset.

Martelli Record
2018-19 7-6 to date
2017-18 16-16
2016-17 11-20
2014-15 13-18
2013-14 24-10 (NCAA)
I would say maybe to that one. St. Joe's was supposed to be good this year, and they aren't living up to expectations (like a lot of A10 teams this year unfortunately). I've always thought he was a decent X and O guy, who can forget him coaching circles around Hurley last year on senior night. Also, have to remember it was just 3 seasons ago when they were a shot away from the Sweet 16 , they had #1 seed Oregon on the ropes in that second round matchup.
How did he coach circles around Hurley? Our guys missed all the open looks, that wasn't coaching. Plus, if he was so much better than Dan, why did we win the rematch? Sounds like Dan won the battle of the adjustments if it was all coaching the first time
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines