Week #5 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #5 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

We are now in Week #5 of the season. No A-10 teams are ranked in the Top 25. In the AP Poll, Davidson gets one vote. No A-10 team gets any votes in the USA Today Coaches' Poll. [Among URI OOC opponents, West Virginia gets 5 votes in the Coaches poll

Using the AP poll, interesting to note that in the Top 25, only five non P5 schools make the rankings - Gonzaga, Nevada, Buffalo, Villanova and Furman. And in the 23 schools getting other votes, six are not P5 schools - Marquette, Creighton, St. John's, Houston, Radford, and Davidson. A similar pattern can be found in the Coaches poll though Furman doesn't make the Top 25 in this one.

URI rankings versus previous week's ranking:

NET - 140
BPI - 138, up 7
Sagarin - 122, up 9
Pomeroy - 125, up 4

The cumulative record to date for URI OOC opponents stands at 47-30, .610.

The composite A-10 OOC record now stands at 56-50, .528. GW and La Salle have made the biggest negative impact versus past year's OOC record. The top dog in the A-10 is Davidson at 7-1, followed by Fordham at 6-1 who is the beneficiary of playing a woefully weak OOC schedule.

Only one game in the A-10 on Monday night:

Vermont at George Mason, 7 PM. On ESPN+ The Catamounts have already notched a road win over an A-10 school, GW, and have an opportunity to make it two wins.

There are no games involving URI OOC opponents.
Last edited by Obadiah 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #5 - Games of Interest

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Make that 5 non power 5 schools.

Furman is ranked 25th in the AP poll.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice job Furman !!

There are some who think 3 bids for A10 I don't see it
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In a surprising development tonight, 2-4 Niagara upset 7-1 Pittsburgh on the Panthers home court, 71-70. Niagara hit on 42% of their three attempts and overcame 24 turnovers.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That was a huge shocker after Pitt almost wins at Iowa then trounced Duquesne

Say it ain't so Jeff Capel
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Five games on tap on Tuesday in the A-10:

Winthrop at Davidson, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Detroit Mercy at Dayton, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Fordham at Maine, 7 PM. On ESPN3.

Bucknell at La Salle, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Holy Cross at UMass, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

PC at Boston College, 7 PM. On ESPN2.

In the Jimmy V Classic at Madison Square Garden, Florida versus West Virginia, 9 PM. On ESPN.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Pitt loses out on Akok and then flat out loses to Niagara. Tough few days.

I’m completely confused by GMU. I thought they had something good going for this year.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

What was really surprising was the ease with which Vermont handled GMU in the Catamount's 72-67 win. They led from the opening bell and built margins up to 12 points and the final score did nor reflect how dominant Vermont was.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

America East members Stony Brook and Vermont now each have two A-10 road wins.

UVM: @GW @GMU
Stony Brook: @GW @URI

Vermont can get a third win over an A-10 team later this month when it hosts St Bonaventure in a game the Catamounts will be favored.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Providence at BC is down to the wire. BC is up by 1, 77-76 at the under 4 time out.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

PC/BC tied 35 secs left, BC at the line...misses the first. Make the second.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Providence had a couple of open looks, one for 3 to take the lead, but missed. BC at the line with 11.3 seconds left.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

BC hits both FTs, but Reeves hit a 3 to tie it with 2.6 secs left. BC nearly hit the game winner. Going to OT.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jimmy Christian poor coaching doesn't foul up 3 and Reeves hits a 3 to force OT
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Holy Cross defeats UMASS.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes they did 82-78 on road

That's going to be a tough one for URI
steviep123
Sly Williams

Wow, I hope Sean Mc will acknowledge the very questionable calls PC is getting in OT. PC up by 2, a minute left.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Looks like PC will pull it out up 2 with the ball 27 secs left in OT
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Friars win 100-95 in OT I am devastated
steviep123
Sly Williams

Providence wins 100-95, breaking a string of the home team winning the past 8 times the two teams have played. I'm on to Florida vs. West Virginia.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 5 years ago Friars win 100-95 in OT I am devastated
Honestly, I moved on pretty quick. At this point, I couldn't care less. I didn't even know the game was on until I was looking for some background noise while I did some work.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Miami loses by 14 to UPenn.
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah saw that also 83 what's wrong with Miami ???

Watching Gators v WVU and WVU does not look good
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

WV up 31-30. Florida has scored 4 points in the last 12 minutes on 4 FTs, no FGs. They haven’t scored this half 4 1/2 minutes in.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago
reef wrote: 5 years ago Friars win 100-95 in OT I am devastated
Honestly, I moved on pretty quick. At this point, I couldn't care less. I didn't even know the game was on until I was looking for some background noise while I did some work.
I agree. I could care less also. We aren't going the tourney with an automatic bid as he we stand dead last in the country in three point shooting. I just noticed that Furman was in the top 25 this week. It is tough to care about any other other games with where we stand from a national perspective. That WVU game at the Mohegan has certainly lost almost all of the excitement compared to the past game there against Cincy.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I was just rooting against PC cuz I don't want them dancing . It had nothing to do with URI we are obviously not going to the dance unless we somehow get the auto bid
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago Wow, I hope Sean Mc will acknowledge the very questionable calls PC is getting in OT. PC up by 2, a minute left.
Spoken like a true KB'er when the other team shoots 45 free throws and three key PC players foul out. Not to mention Bowman had three fouls in the first half never ends up fouling out nor any other BC player.
steviep123
Sly Williams

woodennickel1 wrote: 5 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago Wow, I hope Sean Mc will acknowledge the very questionable calls PC is getting in OT. PC up by 2, a minute left.
Spoken like a true KB'er when the other team shoots 45 free throws and three key PC players foul out. Not to mention Bowman had three fouls in the first half never ends up fouling out nor any other BC player.
My point is valid. Sean MC complained that the refs were in URI's favor when that couldn't have been further from the truth. The refs were awful on Saturday but certainly not one sided. Did you watch overtime last night? Anyone that seems to think the refs were in URI's favor on Saturday is hypocritical if they don't acknowledge the phantom whistles that went PC's way last night. The phantom foul on Reeves 3 pointer especially comes to mind. As it turns out he only made 1 out or 3, so that didn't necessarily hurt as bad, but it did prevent BC from going down to attempt to score. PC's next possession had another phantom foul on BC. The announcers were both incredulous at both calls. So call me a true KB'er if you want, but I watched the overtime and those were not fouls.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

My point is valid. Sean MC complained that the refs were in URI's favor when that couldn't have been further from the truth. The refs were awful on Saturday but certainly not one sided. Did you watch overtime last night? Anyone that seems to think the refs were in URI's favor on Saturday is hypocritical if they don't acknowledge the phantom whistles that went PC's way last night. The phantom foul on Reeves 3 pointer especially comes to mind. As it turns out he only made 1 out or 3, so that didn't necessarily hurt as bad, but it did prevent BC from going down to attempt to score. PC's next possession had another phantom foul on BC. The announcers were both incredulous at both calls. So call me a true KB'er if you want, but I watched the overtime and those were not fouls.
You believe what you want to believe uri did not lose Saturday because of the ref's they lost because they were awful. I agree PC was not much better Saturday. If you watched the whole game last night BC was rhe beneficiary of calls for 75 % of the game. PC finally got few calls late. As I said PC had three key guys foul out to none for BC but obviously you see what you want to. Game would have not been as close had BC not gotten all the calls early
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I agree with both of you.
1) The refs had no impact on the game Saturday.
2) The refs called too many fouls last night and It seemed like BC was at the line all night.
3) PC did get two questionable calls in OT.

Fyi, the color commentator was a former BC player - may have been a little bias on his comments on the two OT fouls.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Is it just me, or does it seem like the officiating is getting worse across all sports?

OT, but case in point....anybody watch the 2nd half of the Steelers/Chargers game Sunday night?

I'm no Steelers fan, but that was horrendous.....they got absolutely boned. A couple of no calls were a joke.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to get any better.
steviep123
Sly Williams

You believe what you want to believe uri did not lose Saturday because of the ref's they lost because they were awful. I agree PC was not much better Saturday. If you watched the whole game last night BC was rhe beneficiary of calls for 75 % of the game. PC finally got few calls late. As I said PC had three key guys foul out to none for BC but obviously you see what you want to. Game would have not been as close had BC not gotten all the calls early
You're putting words into my post that I did not write. I never said URI lost because of the refs and I agree URI lost because they played even worse than PC did. Both teams were awful. The refs were bad, but did not really give anyone an advantage. Everyone sucked. PC sucked less and came away with a win. Really, all the fans of that game are the real losers.

I did not watch the whole game. I didn't even know it was being played until I was flipping through the channels. But I did see the final fouls for each of the 3 PC players that fouled out and all three were legitimate fouls. I didn't see what I wanted to, I saw what I saw. I watched roughly about 12 1/2 minutes of action. The last 7 1/2 mins of regulation and OT. The 7 1/2 mins of regulation seemed to be called fair as was the first 2 minutes of overtime. OT saw 2 fouls called on BC that were non existent and a non called foul on PC that should have led to 2 free throws. I'm merely mentioning the fact that Sean Mc on Twitter responded to Kevin McNamara's tweet saying "Okay, refs now playing worse than both teams..." with "Refs had their Keaney Blue undies on." So my point is if someone is going to claim the refs were against PC on Saturday, then acknowledge they helped their team last night. Personally, I really couldn't have cared less who won that game last night. Just pointing out some obvious hypocrisy that isn't even directed at you.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Last night results not previously mentioned, the A-10 went 2-3 on the evening with opponents from the Patriot League getting two wins and America East one:

Davidson came out strong in second half to beat Winthrop, 99-81.

Dayton routed Detroit Mercy, 98-59.

Fordham has gone on the road only twice this season and has lost both times and the second loss was to Maine, 75-68, in double overtime.

Bucknell handed La Salle it ninth straight loss, 92-79.

In games involving URI OOC opponents, Florida with a strong second half effort took down West Virginia, 66-56.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The UMass game with Holy Cross drew a crowd of 2,247 which is the seventh Mullins crowd of this season to fall below 3000. What I find remarkable about this attendance stat is its comparison to URI attendance history in the Ryan Center. Let me very precise about this comparison, I have included only regular season games which are part of the season ticket package in each year. Using this definition, I find that 243 games have been played in the 16 years and out of these 243 games only 3 have fallen below 3000 and one of those was the St. Bonaventure snowstorm game of five years ago. The other two were against Cleveland State and Maine in the 2011 season, both drawing about 2700 fans.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Lots of Wednesday night action in the in the A-10:

Marshall at Duquesne, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Coppin State at Richmond, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Saint Joseph's at Princeton, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Siena at St. Bonaventure, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Towson at George Washington, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

VCU, at Texas, 8 PM. On ESPNU.

Saint Louis at Southern Illinois, 8 PM. On ESPN+.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Brown at Butler, 7 PM.

Stony Brook at Manhattan, 7 PM.

Middle Tennessee at Vanderbilt, 7:30 PM. On SECN.

TCU at SMU, 10 PM. On ESPNU.
Last edited by Obadiah 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

There is no scenario where the A10 gets 3 bids as a couple posters have alluded to. At this point League is trending towards 1 bud unless the tourney champ is a bud stealer a la Davidson last year. League has been downright awful.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago The UMass game with Holy Cross drew a crowd of 2,247 which is the seventh Mullins crowd of this season to fall below 3000. What I find remarkable about this attendance stat is its comparison to URI attendance history in the Ryan Center. Let me very precise about this comparison, I have included only regular season games which are part of the season ticket package in each year. Using this definition, I find that 243 games have been played in the 16 years and out of these 243 games only 3 have fallen below 3000 and one of those was the St. Bonaventure snowstorm game of five years ago. The other two were against Cleveland State and Maine in the 2011 season, both drawing about 2700 fans.
A friend of mine went to a UMass game last weekend. He said there are no students at the game. He said walking out of the arena his thought was hss everyone been bused in the the Sr Centers around Amhest :o
It was a very old crowd.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Noticed UCONN is playing Lafayette tonight. Lafayette has an RPI of 335.
This is their fourth game against a team with a 215 or higer RPI.
Dan has put in plenty of weak OOC opponents on the schedule.
UCONN’s RPI is 146 and their KenPom is 90th.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCONN 6:00 start draws a big crowd in Hartford.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Noticed UCONN is playing Lafayette tonight. Lafayette has an RPI of 335.
Not sure the UConn sked has much to bash about it...
As of Saturday, they'll have played 9 games, Rhody 6.
They will have played:
-Syracuse
-Iowa
-Arizona
-Florida State

Rhody will have played...?
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Noticed UCONN is playing Lafayette tonight. Lafayette has an RPI of 335.
They will have played:
-Syracuse
-Iowa
-Arizona
-Florida State

UConn already played their in-season tourney. URI hasn't yet. When Rhody plays theirs they'll catch up (in both games and quality opponents).
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

UConn’s 13 game OOC schedule has a lot of bad, a fair amount of good (Iowa, Syracuse, Arizona, Florida State, Villanova), and not much in the middle. It’s not necessarily a great resume-building schedule, but it’s not too bad a way to learn about how the team plays. They’ll probably get destroyed by FSU. So far I’ve learned that the front court is often infuriating, and Alterique Gilbert looks pretty great for a guy who hasn’t played much the last two years.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Not one of the heavyweights on UConn's schedule was played on the road - three will take place on neutral courts and one was a home game.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago Not one of the heavyweights on UConn's schedule was played on the road - three will take place on neutral courts and one was a home game.
UConn plays ZERO true road games in its 13 game OOC Schedule. They have nine home games in either Hartford or Storrs and play three MSG and one Prudential Center (Newark) neutral site games within easy driving distance.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
They will have played:
-Syracuse
-Iowa
-Arizona
-Florida State

UConn already played their in-season tourney. URI hasn't yet. When Rhody plays theirs they'll catch up (in both games and quality opponents).
hunh? Does URI has anyone on the schedule all year that could crack that list of 4 that UConn has already played?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I wasn’t comparing it to URI. I think Dan didn’t know what type of team he would have. As far as UCONN trying to build an at large resume they are 1-2 vs Top 100. I woukd guess they will be 1-4 after FSU and Nova games.

UCONN’s current SOS is ranked 210 before tonight’s game vs 335.
Next up they play FSU (19) but follow that with Manhattan (341) and Dexel (256).
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I really don't care what uconn does, and based on that picture above, neither do their fans.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dan knows they will struggle against the better teams on their schedule. He has pretty much already said it.

He however has them playing a lot closer to their potential than the previous coach did, or so it seems so far.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I really don't care what uconn does, and based on that picture above, neither do their fans.
I know you want that to be true, but alas... it is not.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I really don't care what uconn does, and based on that picture above, neither do their fans.
I know you want that to be true, but alas... it is not.
Surprised you haven't changed you avatar to a uconn nc banner yet.