Hey Danny, you owe us a rivalry game

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Hey Danny, you owe us a rivalry game

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Subject says it all.

Recurring regular season rivalry game: URI vs. UConn

Going back to the Yankee, UConn is one of our most played opponents in history. Get it done. There's no reason you can't. The AAC is NOT better than the A10.

Then maybe we can still call you family.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: Hey Danny, you owe us a rivalry game

Unread post by steviep123 »

Would love this...an annual game.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

steviep123 wrote:Would love this...an annual game.
No reason it can't happen. I literally cannot think of one legitimate reason that isn't the same old bullshit college basketball establishment arguments. Get it done.

Want to prove you were actually here to improve our program? Get it done, Dan.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

the_one_mike wrote:
No reason it can't happen. I literally cannot think of one legitimatereason that isn't the same old bullshit college basketball establishment arguments. Get it done.

The codfather? Calhoun? Won't DH need to get permission first?
steviep123
Sly Williams

the_one_mike wrote:
No reason it can't happen. I literally cannot think of one legitimate reason that isn't the same old bullshit college basketball establishment arguments. Get it done.

You're right. There is no LEGITIMATE reason this shouldn't happen. They have been ducking us for 30 years for no reason. Now that Hurley will be competing in a conference that is pretty equivalent to ours, no reason to not schedule it. It will help both of us. We'll wait until you have a team that is competitive enough so that it won't crush Rhody's rpi.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Hypothetically, do you think this would be campus games (which is what I'd prefer) or Mohegan games (which is what they'd prefer)?
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

No thanks
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

On campus, in the Ryan, only so that the fans can let him have it.

otherwise pass
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I do not think Dan Hurley will be interested in coming to play in the Ryan Center as a visitor any time soon, unfortunately.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

mstyles22 wrote:Hypothetically, do you think this would be campus games (which is what I'd prefer) or Mohegan games (which is what they'd prefer)?
Wow. I didn't even think of this. Even better. Both teams get a neutral court game each year and it lessens UConn's supposed risk of a "bad loss" at home.

Not to add more layers in the suspicious nature of Danny's departure... but maybe this in mind when we were planning for next year's made-for-TV with WVU.
TruePoint wrote:I do not think Dan Hurley will be interested in coming to play in the Ryan Center as a visitor any time soon, unfortunately.
Why? I mean he has to beg for support from our fans, apparently. That should be nothing to fear! UConn should sell out the Ryan with frat boys chanting about their pet dog for a mascot.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

It could be good for the fans, but I wouldn't support it unless it was a home and home........Mohegan Sun would be a UConn home game. Most of their fans have ticket accounts there.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI is far an away UConn's most played opponent ever. The next most played program is about 40 games behind. This despite the fact that UConn has rarely played URI since it joined the Big East. In that time, the Huskies have now had two coaches. Neither has had any desire to play URI. Their third coach will be Dan Hurley, and given all his associations, he is probably even less inclined to play Rhode Island than his two predecessors there. I think it extremely unlikely the two schools play one another any time soon unless they advance and meet in some tournament they are both in. It is just not realistically happening in the near term by design.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

RF1 wrote:URI is far an away UConn's most played opponent ever. The next most played program is about 40 games behind. This despite the fact that UConn has rarely played URI since it joined the Big East. In that time, the Huskies have now had two coaches. Neither has had any desire to play URI. Their third coach will be Dan Hurley, and given all his associations, he is probably even less inclined to play Rhode Island than his two predecessors there. I think it extremely unlikely the two schools play one another any time soon unless they advance and meet in some tournament they are both in. It is just not realistically happening in the near term by design.
Oh, the same old bullshit college basketball establishment argument? NEXT.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Doubt it happens Dan doesn't want to play ASU or Buffalo

Why would be want to play Cox if Cox gets the job
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

So Dan can beat us 150-0 at Mohegan or Gampel with guys that were recruited to play for us, and maybe some guys that played for us over the last couple of years?

Can we get it on ESPN?
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

reef wrote:Doubt it happens Dan doesn't want to play ASU or Buffalo

Because URI is his family and he supposedly cares about helping build our program. This isn't as big a challenge as some of you are making it out to be, that's my entire point.

Shaka played at VCU this year. Texas played on the road at an A10 school. Besides, clearly Dan doesn't have a big problem with going back on his rhetoric. And he has never indicated he wouldn't play former colleagues, just his brother.
Last edited by the_one_mike 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

rhodyrudder wrote:So Dan can beat us 150-0 at Mohegan or Gampel with guys that were recruited to play for us, and maybe some guys that played for us over the last couple of years?

Can we get it on ESPN?
If you think this is even remotely true or possible, you are so incredibly out of touch with this team and college basketball that you should probably consider deleting your account from this message board.
steviep123
Sly Williams

How about a home and home with ASU?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

the_one_mike wrote: Shaka played at VCU this year. Texas played on the road at an A10 school.
Texas played a home and home with VCU because it was specifically written in Smart's contract should he depart. VCU had previously played Oklahoma (Capel) and Alabama (Grant) in prior years and will play LSU (Wade) for the same reason.

There is nothing in Hurley's contract specifying he must grant a home and home at his new school.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

the_one_mike wrote: Because URI is his family and he supposedly cares about helping build our program. This isn't as big a challenge as some of you are making it out to be, that's my entire point
Not sure how a game with UCONN helps to build our program, maybe 10 years ago, not now. Pass
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Shinze88 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote: Because URI is his family and he supposedly cares about helping build our program. This isn't as big a challenge as some of you are making it out to be, that's my entire point
Not sure how a game with UCONN helps to build our program, maybe 10 years ago, not now. Pass
If you don't think there's value in building a rivalry game with one of 6 programs in NCAA history with 4 or more national championships, I really don't know what to tell you other than you're dead wrong.
RF1 wrote: Texas played a home and home with VCU because it was specifically written in Smart's contract should he depart.
Fair enough, I did forget about that contract clause. This still doesn't take away from the fact that this game makes sense, historically and, now, contextually.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Too bad in his contract here it didn’t say he needed to play a game in Kingston, a la Texas at VCU this year.
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Something tells me scheduling a game against URI is not high on Hurley's list of things to do today. And vice versa for URI with UConn for that matter.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

adam914 wrote:Something tells me scheduling a game against URI is not high on Hurley's list of things to do today. And vice versa for URI with UConn for that matter.
:lol:

I don't remember saying anywhere this will happen TODAY. But I do think this should be seriously considered come time to complete our OOC schedule.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

the_one_mike wrote:
adam914 wrote:Something tells me scheduling a game against URI is not high on Hurley's list of things to do today. And vice versa for URI with UConn for that matter.

I don't remember saying anywhere this will happen TODAY. But I do think this should be seriously considered come time to complete our OOC schedule.
Maybe down the road, give it a couple years, but even then I wouldn't bet on it.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

adam914 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:

Maybe down the road, give it a couple years, but even then I wouldn't bet on it.
Just get it done. Get it done. That's how I feel about this. It makes sense. Get it done.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:

Anything is possible. URI did eventually play both Texas and BC after Penders and Skinner left. The BC deal was however very one sided as a 2 for 1. Neither Texas nor BC are however UConn. To any impartial observer, UConn seems to have purposely made a very conscious decision over the last 30+ years NOT to play URI even with the close proximity and long history. The sad reality is that the two teams have met just three times the last 3 decades in a series that has seen 143 games played in total.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

RF1 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:

Anything is possible. URI did eventually play both Texas and BC after Penders and Skinner left. The BC deal was however very one sided as a 2 for 1. Neither Texas nor BC are however UConn. To any impartial observer, UConn seems to have purposely made a very conscious decision over the last 30+ years NOT to play URI even with the close proximity and long history.
That final point, if anything, is why it makes more sense now than ever. This is an opportunity to mend the void between the two schools... The fact of the matter is, they avoided us because we were not the same caliber basketball program for the better part of those three decades. Now we have Danny, if he really did believe in what he built here, to lobby that the quality of program here is "worthy" of a game with them.

UConn was clearly better than us in the BE days. They could be choosy scheduling OOC. That isn't really the case for them, anymore. The AAC and A10 are virtually equal conferences in basketball power. And let's face it, to remain competitive they just had to poach our coach. The days where they are the clearly better program came and passed with Jim Calhoun and the dissolution of the old Big East.

GET. IT. DONE.
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Pass. Storrs doesn't care about a URI/UConn rivalry and I'm inclined to agree with them on this one. We're not starved for rivals. We got UMass and PC already, plus all the A10 homies who we love in the OOC and postseason but become unbearable chodes between December and March. If you're scheduling for RPI we should be shooting higher - if we want more at-large bids we need to be playing up: more P5+BE and possibly the very top of the American, which UConn aint gonna be in 2018-19.

Plus, you know, the Huskies have all those great AAC rivalries to glory in already.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/ucf-still ... 29356.html
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

You guys are burying the lead. Nevada and Alabama are coming to the Ryan Center next year. WVU at Mohegan.

Those are all way better profile boosters than UConn. If you're talking AAC, I'd rather play Houston again.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

the_one_mike wrote:
reef wrote:Doubt it happens Dan doesn't want to play ASU or Buffalo

Because URI is his family and he supposedly cares about helping build our program. This isn't as big a challenge as some of you are making it out to be, that's my entire point.

Shaka played at VCU this year. Texas played on the road at an A10 school. Besides, clearly Dan doesn't have a big problem with going back on his rhetoric. And he has never indicated he wouldn't play former colleagues, just his brother.
Oh sorry I forgot how URI is his family!!!
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

mstyles22 wrote:You guys are burying the lead. Nevada and Alabama are coming to the Ryan Center next year. WVU at Mohegan.

Those are all way better profile boosters than UConn. If you're talking AAC, I'd rather play Houston again.
This isn't necessarily about the short term, this could be a solid year-in, year-out OOC matchup with an equally positioned conference. Less than 60 miles travel between both campuses favors both teams, cost wise and in terms of recovery. Return to your own beds that night, home or away.

Branding-wise, it also benefits both teams in all reality. URI has improved significantly and UConn has pretty dramatically regressed. They could both reap the benefits of rekindling interest in college basketball in southern New England. So could Mohegan Sun, who consistently puts on college basketball events in their arena.

I just find it funny that coming into this season the complaint by many posters about our schedule was the lack of schools with "name recognition" -- we ended up playing only 4 OOC teams that didn't make it to March. Two of them being regional "rivalry" matchups with HC and Brown. The other two being teams that needed to win their conference to make the dance in UNCA and FGCU. You're telling me you wouldn't rather play regular OOC games with UConn than Holy Cross or Brown? I think I'd take that trade, my man.

Give me a break, y'all. Like I said above, if you guys don't see the value in building a rivalry game with a 4-time national champion you are mistaken. Even if it's an "RPI hit" while they rebuild. Holy Cross finished 264 in RPI this year, Brown finished 298. We also played Florida Gulf Coast, a game nobody was complaining about -- RPI 172. UConn finished 123, better than all of them. That's also better than UNC-Asheville at 130.

MAKE. IT. HAPPEN.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

If anybody thinks a home and home series or continued home and home with Uconn wouldn’t be beneficial for URI is crazy.
1- Auto sellout at the Ryan
2- Short drive road game as well as low cost
3- Dan will have that program back soon

If Dan did it which I don’t think he will unless doing a favor for Cox, this would be a no brainer for URI.
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Shinze88 wrote:
Lol come on dude. If UConn wanted to schedule us, we’d do it in a heartbeat. “10 years ago”... those guys have 2 championships in the past 7 years alone. They’ve been horrible for the past couple years, but the ring leader of that circus is gone now and replaced by a coach we all know is great.

I’m not going to ever root for UConn, but I don’t get why people would rather pretend Dan left for a dump rather than seeing that it took a huge local opportunity to even get him to consider leaving.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Never going to get my vote for a game with Uconn.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote:Never going to get my vote for a game with Uconn.
At this point in time I have no desire to see Mr Hurley back in the Ryan Center with his Connecticut Huskies Team. and I don't not think he would want to come back anyway - so it's all moot

Nor do I want to see him or his team in the Diamond Head Classic or any other Tournament.

He made his decision

and I am very tired of hearing the crappy URI Fan Base is to blame for all of this or even any part of it.

A fan base that took such a beating from very poor URI Administration decisions to hire Jerry D and Jim B - we lost 15 years of the brand new beautiful Ryan Center to work to our advantage. That was not the work of URI fans - it was URI Administration of Presidents and Athletic Directors

So if you want to blame poor level of donations, poor attendance, etc on the URI Fans themselves then fine, but please spare me that the URI Administration is clean in all of this disaster from Jim Harrick to post Baron - with a Top Notch B-Ball facility in their back

Great job by Thorr and President Dooley to offer Hurley which should have been plenty enough for him and his staff and players to stay - but it wasn't. So that's that. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Sorry, been a humongous supporter even one of the very few in Jim Baron 2.0 but I'm not going to sit here and listen to the blaming of the crappy substandard Rhody Fan Base that made him leave for greener pastures.
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

couldnt agree more--not gona read all the posts before but have it at mohegan sun if he cant mentally handle coming to the ryan snter
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I do not want to play UCONN and Dan Hurley at the Mohegan Sun either - no where
He broke from us
I'm hearing on our board that our fans don't deserve him, it our fans fault he left
So no need to go any further. Let him and his Huskies go find their own happy place.

We are not good enough for him so that's that
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

There are like over 350 Div 1 teams I see no reason to play UConn either
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

I see no reason to play Uconn in the next 1-2 years minimum. If and when they will help our tourney resume, then fine; would still rather play another top school
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Nope. All set with UCONN. Dont want to see Hurley or the UCONN fans at all. My second favorite basketball team has always been whoever plays PC on any given night. Now it's whoever plays UCONN.