Ryan Brooks

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ryan Brooks

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I haven't seen this discussed. Did he get hurt last night? Or was Hurley just not happy with his play? He started the game, but played only 4 minutes. Nik started the 2nd half in his place. I know he's not a very good player (very bad hands!), but at least he's a fairly big body who can get a few rebounds and play a little defense. I know he can barely make a layup on offense. I just wonder why he only played 4 minutes last night.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Ryan Brooks

Unread post by section(105) »

Giving Jordan and Mike more pt to aid in their development in that kinda atmosphere, plus giving us better opportunity to win?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

He has the worst hands in the history of hands.
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, all true, but he's been getting a lot more than 4 minutes. I figured he could at least bang with Batts for a while.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

URIGONZO wrote:He has the worst hands in the history of hands.
He may be very good in Karate="Empty Hand."
Issac
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Issac »

Why did Mckoy leave and Brooks stay?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Issac wrote:Why did Mckoy leave and Brooks stay?
I doubt Brooks had a lot of options, having only one year of eligibility left. Basketball is not part of his future. Stay here and get your degree. That's my guess. I wasn't all that high on McKoy either. to tell you the truth.
Ryan Rowdy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ryan Rowdy »

For what it's worth, I do feel that this is his best season he's had in a Rhody jersey.

It's not saying much, but I do like him better in the Hurley system.
What Would Jon Clark Do?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Hurley was trying to use post play, more than any game this year.
Brooks muffed a couple of inside passes, and missed a wide open
layup.
Give his minutes to Aaman, who needs to develop.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Brooks is a frustrating guy to watch because he can rebound and play defense competently but is just absolutely lost on the offensive side of the ball. I think its less that he has bad hands and more that he panics anytime he gets the ball near the hoop. He's the teams leading rebounder and has been a contributor to the team, so I can't hate too much on him. I wonder what he would look like if he had 4 years of coaching under Hurley.
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Brooks reverted back to Brooks of the past 3 years and played intimidated. He couldn't catch the ball and on defense Batts/Henton had their way with him. At least Nik, Aaman and Hare played tough defense all night despite the size difference.
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Brooks injured his right elbow early in the first half and did not return.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

sounded like he had a couple of bunnies and short armed them both, but i was listening on radio

hurley is challenged because his best rebounding team (which includes brooks) is a liability on the offensive side. he probably should stick with aaman and hare together for as much as possible to build towards the future, but the issue that they are both FR, matchup problems, and foul trouble makes that less than feasible on many nights. when we go to Hare at the 5 and Nik at the 4 (with munford, malone and powell) that is probably our strongest offensive lineup but we get destroyed on the boards. then you insert brooks into that and you have to take out a better offensive player to get him in so we can actually get a rebound. next year those problems go away, but this year we have too many limitations to juggle a lineup effectively.
bkrichmond

Unread post by bkrichmond »

It was in URI's best interests to have Brooks stay, much like it's in their best interests for Holton to play well for Richard Pitino. They need these players to remain eligible and graduate within an acceptable amount of time for APR purposes. McKoy wasn't anywhere near as close to that as Brooks is right now.
Remember Daniel West? Levan Shengelia? Rayvon Harris? You don't just get to cast them out anymore without penalty. Outerbridge really hurt them by leaving school with two weeks left to work out for NBA teams. He was on course to graduate on time (or at least walk with his class). They need to establish that baseline again with Malesevic, Malone and Brooks all getting their degrees.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Ryan Brooks is a quiet and thoughtful person......he has needed to become more of a punk, in my opinion. In basketball, to my experience, the best players have been the most aggressive and confident players.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

He didn't play more because he could not compete.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Brooks injured his right elbow early in the first half and did not return.
I believe he played about 60 seconds in the second half, before getting yanked for Aaman, but I could be mistaken.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:I haven't seen this discussed. Did he get hurt last night? Or was Hurley just not happy with his play? He started the game, but played only 4 minutes. Nik started the 2nd half in his place. I know he's not a very good player (very bad hands!), but at least he's a fairly big body who can get a few rebounds and play a little defense. I know he can barely make a layup on offense. I just wonder why he only played 4 minutes last night.
To the original question, Brooks got hurt and had to comeout.
He only played 4 minutes in the 1st half and he had 3 rebounds in those 4 minutes.

I am not a big Brooks fan, never have been, but I have been very impressed with how Hurley has been getting rebounding production from Brooks, I have even seen some blocked shots and altered shots from Brooks. Hurley is defining his role.
I do think it hurt Rhody to lose Brooks (can't believe I just typed that) but it is true.
URI got pummelled in the 2nd half by Batts and by Henton.
Hare played very well, he was one of the few Rams who displayed "fire in his belly", one time diving for a loose ball in the PC Backcourt as they had just rebounded the ball, and then pounding his fist on the floor in dismay for not getting the ball.
Hare was fired up as URI came off the floor during timeouts - just great to see in this kid. Wish I had seen more of this from all our guys.
Henton killed me, 17 rebounds and many of them led back to simple putbacks for scores. I heard it was his career high in rebounds.
We did not do a good job of boxing out Henton especially, or Batts. We have to do a better job of getting rebounding position before the shot.
Oddly enough, the best job done on Henton all night was when Hurley put TJ on him. Here was TJ only 6'3" 195# guarding Hention 6'6" 215#. Both of these guys are physically strong, both from Michigan, know each other well, so it was an interesting match up. TJ did a very commendable job of controlling Henton during his time on the court - looking back maybe Hurley should have stuck with TJ more on Henton. Henton exploded for his points and rebounds in the 2nd half - was like he had free reign inside.

So in hindsight I would say that losing Brooks to the injury hurt us..............................again, can't believe I am saying that but it is a credit to Hurley's Coaching ability and to Michael Brooks himself that this has become the case.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

His elbow has been bothering him for awhile. Not sure that was the reason.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I like Aaman. He's a bruiser. More athletic than i thought.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think he starts Brooks because he is a senior, he does not stuff the box score at all
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote:I think he starts Brooks because he is a senior, he does not stuff the box score at all
That would be a Jim Baron move.

I believe that Dan Hurley is making his decisions to win games, not based on what Class level they are in. Brooks is not playing the same as he did in 2011-2012
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Iggy1979 wrote:His elbow has been bothering him for awhile. Not sure that was the reason.
Elbow was the reason cited in the post-game press release.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Brooks is the worst offensive basketball player Ive ever seen. PERIOD
GO RAMS
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Brooks is the worst offensive basketball player Ive ever seen. PERIOD
As someone who witnessed the heyday of the immortal Jon Clark, I must humbly disagree...
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

sf2010 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:Brooks is the worst offensive basketball player Ive ever seen. PERIOD
As someone who witnessed the heyday of the immortal Jon Clark, I must humbly disagree...
Bingo..
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

sf2010 wrote:
Six of one, half dozen of the other. Both of them are tough to watch. I hate to get on Brooks, though. As limited as he is offensively, he has come a long way in terms of his usefulness as a rebounder and defender. Can't criticize his effort this year (at least from what I've seen), which isn't something I would have said in the past.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011