A10 gets screwed as per usual

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

A10 gets screwed as per usual

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Dayton a first four team? Really? Oh and lets make VCU play a 10 seed that they will be underdogs against.

Other mid majors get screwed too
Stephen F Austin has to play Utah
Wichita St a 7 seed with Kansas in Rd 2
Boise plays Dayton at home (the committee gets to eliminate one of them that way!)

It's such bullshit how much of a power 5 bias there is in the committee selections.
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Re: A10 gets screwed as per usual

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think you're pretty much right. Especially this year. Temple and Colorado State deserve to be in this field. C'mon. I can't understand why UCLA would be so high.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

As I posted elsewhere:

The A-10 really got shafted on seeding. Dayton, the runner-up in both the A-10 regular season and tournament with an RPI of #32 and a record of 25-8 just barely gets in? They then are seeded as a #11 forced into the play in game?

The New Catholic Big East got extremely generous seeds. How did they base that? Xavier was given a #6 seed with a record of 21-13 and an RPI of #30. How are they that far ahead of Dayton? St. John's was a #9 seed with an RPI of #44. record of 20-11, and blowout loss on its home-court in its conference tourney? Georgtown got a #4 seed.

It is abundantly clear that the committee gave power conferences and names schools (as in perennial NCAA teams) a huge benefit of the doubt in both selection (UCLS and Texas) and seeding (Xavier and St. John's).

I hope Dayton uses this motivation and wins the play in game on their home floor and makes it to the sweet-16 as a fu to the committee.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

and to think some where thinking if we had an rpi in the 40's we would be in
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Temple really got screwed. Just about everyone had them safely in.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Dayton should have been an 8-9, but besides that I dont agree the A10 got screwed. The league was ok this year, not great. The best OOC wins were Geo Washington (Wichita State) , Dayton beating Ole Miss and VCU beating Northern Iowa. After that their resumes were buffered by A10 performance, and in a down year that wasnt going to help the profile. Some teams like UCLA, St Johns and Gtown may be overseeded, but I dont see an Anti A10 conspiracy. The league didnt deserve much better this year.
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

theblueram wrote:and to think some where thinking if we had an rpi in the 40's we would be in
Could you imagine how furious we would be if we had beaten Davidson and then won against Dayton in the semis, based on today's results I think we might have been out.
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

Dayton at a 32 rpi gets a play in game

ucla-48,okla.st-49,iowa -51,lsu-56,indiana-61, no play-ins

does the a-10 have any members on the committee?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

How the hell is 13 loss Texas, who sucks, in this NCAA.
What a joke this thing is.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:How the hell is 13 loss Texas, who sucks, in this NCAA.
What a joke this thing is.
8-10 in conference, must be nice!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Isn't Dan Gavitt on the committee?
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

This was actually par for the course throughout the entire season. If you followed projected brackets, the A10 got little respect all season. Whether it's warranted or not, is up to you. But it shouldn't be a shock today that the A10 got a subpar draw. It's been the consensus the entire year b/c of the poor OOC showing. Exact opposite of last year. That said, Dayton got the best setup for an 11 seed in the history of the tournament. Shouldn't have been in the play-in, but given the proximity, a nice setup based on location to the sweet 16.

VCU as a 7 I thought was fine. They were projected as low as a 10 in some brackets I saw and jumped miles this weekend. Davidson maybe should've been an 8/9, but overall this wasn't shocking to me. Dayton's seed is the only gripe I have.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

They got the teams right for the A10, seeds are always debatable.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ramfan85 wrote:Isn't Dan Gavitt on the committee?
vp
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Seems the A10 always has an 8/9 seed.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

ucla, texas and indiana are a joke.

Not thrilled about playing dayton in ohio.

Care to give a scouting report?
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

seanmc94 wrote:ucla, texas and indiana are a joke.

Not thrilled about playing dayton in ohio.

Care to give a scouting report?

The closer that Dayton plays to home, the better they are. They were undefeated at home. They usually travel extremely well and Columbus is about an hours drive from their campus should they win the PIG game.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Dayton was the last team in the field. Amazing if you ask me. Had UConn won today Dayton would not have gotten in the field. I had both Dayton and Davidson as 8 seeds and VCU as a 6. All 3 were seeded below that.

seanmc94 was almost right about the A-10 getting only 2 teams in.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Win more games; near dominate the league and crush the weaker OOC sked, knock off the somebody's away in and out of the league, and pray ......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I thought that Temple, Colorado State and Old Dominion should have been in over Oklahoma State, Indiana and UCLA. And all 3 of those teams were apparently solidly in as they missed the play-in game.

I'm honestly not sure what metrics the committee used. Certainly not RPI. Certainly not road/neutral records. It's very baffling. If I was a Colorado State or Temple fan I'd be absolutely furious right now. And the committee said that Wyoming's win knocked out Temple.
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

As usual? How many teams did you think should have been in from the A10 last year? 12?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Texas (42 RPI) was 3-12 against Top 50! They beat Baylor (10) at home, WVU (24) at home & Iowa (43) neutral court.

UCLA (49 RPI) was 2-8 against Top 50 (2 home wins) and 3-2 against 50-100!

Dayton finished with RPI of 28.
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

kal-65 wrote:Dayton at a 32 rpi gets a play in game

ucla-48,okla.st-49,iowa -51,lsu-56,indiana-61, no play-ins

does the a-10 have any members on the committee?
I think this goes to the point I tried to make a month ago that RPI is a useful barometer and one item on your resume, but it isn't the sole determining factor. It isn't quite as important as people like to make it out to be.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Captain, we are talking about seeding.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Barnes just confirmed on an ESPN interview that a UConn win would have meant Dayton got left out. What a joke!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

The A10 got what it deserved. As far as schools getting in which deserved to, per se, well, it's the usual nonsense. UCLA, Texas, and Oklahoma State didn't deserve bids.
THIS JUST PROVES THREE THINGS: 1) NEVER TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED AS A LOCK, ETC., 2) THE A-10 SHOULD ADHERE (if it doesn't already) TO A MINIMUM STANDARD OOC SCHEDULING CRITERIA -- AS FEASIBLE -- CREATE A-10 VS. ? CHALLENGE(S) ; AND #3:

DON'T EFFIN' EVER TELL ME THAT THE NCAA SELECTION COMMITTEE HAS A ROBOT SHEET IT FOLLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

ATPTourFan wrote:Captain, we are talking about seeding.
Ahh, sorry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bressler3south wrote:The A10 got what it deserved. As far as schools getting in which deserved to, per se, well, it's the usual nonsense. UCLA, Texas, and Oklahoma State didn't deserve bids.
THIS JUST PROVES THREE THINGS: 1) NEVER TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED AS A LOCK, ETC., 2) THE A-10 SHOULD ADHERE (if it doesn't already) TO A MINIMUM STANDARD OOC SCHEDULING CRITERIA -- AS FEASIBLE -- CREATE A-10 VS. ? CHALLENGE(S) ; AND #3:

DON'T EFFIN' EVER TELL ME THAT THE NCAA SELECTION COMMITTEE HAS A ROBOT SHEET IT FOLLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOUNDS GOOD IN THEORY BUT THE BIG NAME SCHOOLS WILL RARELY SCHEDULE THE DECENT TEAMS FROM THE A-10. IF THEY DID DO SO, THEY ALWAYS WANT THEM AT HOME WHERE THEY ALMOST NEVER LOSE OOC GAMES. THE WHOLE SYSTEM IS RIGGED IN FAVOR OF THE POWER CONFERENCE TEAMS!
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

tp,i see your point,but there IS adifference between rpi-32 and rpi 61

the tourney is about money ,and whose conference representatives lobby the best

where was the A-10 reps,or were there any on the committee
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

As long as they continue to look to number of top-50 wins as the most important item without regard to number of opportunities, it is going to continue to go against non-P5 teams. I don't think that top-50 wins is a bad thing to have as one element of the consideration, but they really should be considering the entire picture and not just getting tunnel vision for one or two criteria.

If anything, I think they should err on the side of inviting more teams that finished at the top of second-tier conferences but didn't have the opportunities to test themselves against top teams more than a few times. We already know that Texas and Indiana aren't legit contenders. If you finish eight in your league there is no reason for you to be in the tournament, regardless of how good your league is. Give those spots to high upside untested teams.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

bressler3south wrote:The A10 got what it deserved. As far as schools getting in which deserved to, per se, well, it's the usual nonsense. UCLA, Texas, and Oklahoma State didn't deserve bids.

You are right about the ooc scheduling the Big East played some really good teams ooc this year and it paid off cause they won a few of them.I also think something what hurts the A10 is the teams at the bottom of their conference like Duqusene, George Mason and Fordam kill your RPI just playing them never mind if you should lose one of those games. I do not think it is ironic that the two conferences with the best RPI's (Big 12 and Big East had the least amount of teams in their conferences.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

6 weeks ago when lunardi's brackets had 7 NBE teams in and only 2 A10 teams I said that was ridiculous and absurd at the time and ever since. Some here told me that the 7/2 was about right. Others all season have said how bad the A10 was this year and I always felt that they were overly criticizing the A10 and still do. A10 overly dumped on and NBE overly pumped.
So the NBE gets 6 teams in without anyone needing a play-in game and the A10 gets 2 teams in and one in with a play-in game.
At least it's not that disastrous 7 NBE and 2 A10 ratio from February lunardi.
Probably about right with 6 and 3.
But I will be rooting heavily for Dayton, VCU and Davidson.
I will also be rooting heavily for Lafayette, Texas, Dayton/Boise state winner, San diego state, Eastern Michigan and the BYU/Mississippi winner
Particular glory would come from 13th seed eastern Washington downing 4th seed Georgetown - I just love it when Georgetown implodes in the dance and there have been a lot of implosions.
And from Dayton/Boise state winner sending PC home early would be wonderful.
60 percent of the NBE teams make the dance with nobody needing a play-In game - I hope the crap in their mess kits.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ramster, their seeds were ridiculous. PC and St. Johns were the only 2 that were about right

Georgetown a 4? Get real. Xavier a 6? Should have been a 10. Butler a 6? Maybe an 8 or 9.

Fuck the RPI. They use that to justify some of these P5 frauds, but what about teams like Dayton, who had a great RPI and is almost left out completely.

Double standard deluxe.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

How could the committee not have another 11 seed in the play in game instead of Dayton at home? Boise State really has a problem. Dayton wins and they go to Columbus which will be pretty close to another home game. Not a bad deal for the last team into the tourney. How does the committee justify that? Not that I am complaining since I would love to see the Flyers beat the Friars!!!!!!
Most of the ass holes (not seanmc) on the Friar board need a large dose of humility.
A lot of the seedings are a mystery and it makes you wonder what the basketball IQ is of the committee members. Indiana lost 9 of its last 14 games and is in. UCLA, OK St are questionable..............
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Agree 100% Eli, but the committee makes their curious decisions and
disbands.
Other than a talking head on Selection Sunday, that's it.
UCLA lost to KY 83-44 and it was worse than the final score indicated.
The lost to UNC 78-56, they lost to Gonzaga, Oklahoma, Alabama, in OOC.
Just a travesty to have them and Texas in the tournament, and hear that Dayton
was out, if Temple got in.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Ramster, their seeds were ridiculous. PC and St. Johns were the only 2 that were about right

Georgetown a 4? Get real. Xavier a 6? Should have been a 10. Butler a 6? Maybe an 8 or 9.

Fuck the RPI. They use that to justify some of these P5 frauds, but what about teams like Dayton, who had a great RPI and is almost left out completely.

Double standard deluxe.
Rambone,
I'm not looking so deep into the seeds as I am how many teams 6 NBE and 3 A10 getting bids. That's better than the 7 and 2 that lunardi predicted last month.
The A 10 was simply not as bad this year as many claimed.
Think about it - how do you go from 6 bids last year to 3 bids this year??? And to top that off if Davidson had not joined the A10 we would have had 2?
Makes no sense to me. Conferences as a whole do not fluctuate that radically.
By the was last year the NBE had 3 teams with one being a play in game.
So the NBE and the A10 completely reversed from last year.
I hope the NBE goes 0-6
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Ramster, their seeds were ridiculous. PC and St. Johns were the only 2 that were about right

Double standard deluxe.
Rambone,
I'm not looking so deep into the seeds as I am how many teams 6 NBE and 3 A10 getting bids. That's better than the 7 and 2 that lunardi predicted last month.
The A 10 was simply not as bad this year as many claimed.
Think about it - how do you go from 6 bids last year to 3 bids this year??? And to top that off if Davidson had not joined the A10 we would have had 2?
Makes no sense to me. Conferences as a whole do not fluctuate that radically.
By the was last year the NBE had 3 teams with one being a play in game.
So the NBE and the A10 completely reversed from last year.
I hope the NBE goes 0-6
we had senior laden classes graduate at the same time. The teams that deserved to go are going, maybe not the best seeds, but certainly the right teams.

How Richmond is a 1 seed in the NIT is beyond me though.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

VCU got screwed even more than you'd have originally thought. Not only were they probably under seeded but they have to play their first 2 games in Portland. If they win those then they have to go back to Richmond and then fly out again to Los Angeles.

Teams from the east coast should not have to play their first two games and then if they win their next 2 games on the west coast. Same for west coast teams having to go to the east twice.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Butler deserved their seed; 8 wins vs RPI top 100. Gtown and X were over seeded. Based on obekpa I'd drop SJU to a 10. Here's the interesting thing; Dayton has an almost identical RPI to butler. Only difference,e is Butler has 6 wins vs top 50 and Dayton only 1. Hardly enough to justify the disparity.

Fun fact: by lunardis "bubble teams"; teams that had a rep from their conference on the committee went 9-1 getting into the tourney
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Dayton definitely got screwed. The fact that they would have been out if UConn had won the AAC is absurd. How they are in a play in game is ridiculous too. UCLA and Texas absolutely ridiculous to be in over Temple and Colorado State. I'm sorry, Texas at 8-10 in the Big 12? If you can't go over .500 in your conference you don't belong. Period.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I feel like the A10's seeds always get tough draw with who they play.

I also think that an A10 tourney team is usually better than the other regular tourney teams.

Like Dayton is really good at basketball. They are basically the same team that went to the 8 last year.

They also get to play in their state with the fan support they have? Sibert? Mr ohio basketball !! gets his last college games in Ohio!? Look out for them.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Whoever just said that Indiana got in by losing 9 out of their last 14?

That is beyond mind boggling. And they get a 10 seed.

The worst overall job of seeding and stiffing some teams I've ever seen.

URI had better play some top 50 teams OOC next season, and beat some of them, to have any chance of getting in next season.

The rules aren't the same if you're a mid major. This just proves it without a shadow of a doubt.

Some serious collusion going on in that committee room I'd say.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I thought you had to be 500 in conference to be considered. Guess not.
They use whatever criteria they want.
It's like statistics. Tell me how you want them to turn out, and I'll make them work for you.

I was pissed last year that PC had to win the tourney to get in. It's not that I care for PC. But, I was putting us in their place.I thought they were safe before the tournament wins.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It looks like the A10 would have only had 2 bids if we had beat Dayton, and not won the A10 title game.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Dayton should send us flowers.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The good thing about Dayton for the A10 is that it's another game for us to win. It's all about "units" and if they win this game, it counts the same as if the won a game as a 9 seed. So if they get to the round of 32, that's 2 units for the conference from the play-in, instead of 1.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

seanmc94 wrote:Fun fact: by lunardis "bubble teams"; teams that had a rep from their conference on the committee went 9-1 getting into the tourney
Wow, gross. As if I needed more fodder for my NCAA Selection Committee cynicism. Thx for sharing that tidbit, Sean, and your fair seeding assessment.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The fix is in. Anybody using the "eye test" can see it.

Anybody not in a P5 [and NBE this year] conference knows it.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

wow.. we really need to step up our scheduling or we'll never get in

dayton must be pissed
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We need A10 teams to have a better OOC next year, driving up their RPIs prior to A10 play, resulting in more games with Top 50-75 RPI teams. The conference was down this year and that brought the resume of every team down with it. Last year was the opposite. I expect next season to be somewhere in between, should be a much stronger A10 next season, which will help everyone.