Week #13 – Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #13 – Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

Week #13 look at the polls shows VCU fell to #18 in the AP Poll with their loss at home to Richmond. Dayton getting votes and URI gets one vote. In the USA Today Coaches Poll, VCU also grabs the #18 spot, Dayton gets some votes. Kansas is #8 in the AP poll, #9 in the USA Today. Kentucky remains #1 in both polls.

The combined record of our ten D1 OOC opponents now stands at 112-104, 0.519, a big decline from the previous week as our OOC opponents had a disastrous week. Only three of URI’s ten D-1 OOC opponents have winning records, seven have losing records. The URI SOS has declined significantly.

All the key rankings for URI trended down in the week and as of Monday Feb 2, they are:

RPI 69
Sagarin 67
KenPom 71
BPI 61

No A-10 games on Monday evening.

Only game among URI OOC opponents:

#15 Iowa State at #9 Kansas. 9 PM. On ESPN. The high powered Iowa State offense will be challenged by the Jayhawks, who are led by a super point guard, Frank Mason, and are tough to beat in Lawrence.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Week #13 – Games of Interest

Unread post by STC »

Bryant leads Pitt 36-34. Pitt is down this year but this would still be a shocker.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Kansas looking great.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Watching a game at Texas Southern (It's close, so I'm watching it instead of the Kansas blowout).
Huge arena. I swear there aren't 500 people there, maybe 200.
Those players must love that kind of support.
Mike Davis, who once coached in the big time at Indiana and later at UAB, is
coach of Texas Southern. Wow!
Guess a job is a job.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

For the record, Kansas final was a 89-76 win over Iowa State.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Only one A-10 game on Tuesday.

St. Joseph’s at Saint Louis. 7:30 PM. On CBS Sports. Let’s see if the Hawks can use their big win over Davidson to turn around their erratic performance and nab a road win. SLU is the midst of a four game losing streak and can sure use some home cooking.

Games among URI OOC opponents:

Northwestern at Nebraska. 7:30 PM. On BTN. This is a must a win for the Cornhuskers if they harbor any hope for post season play. After opening the B10 season with a win at Rutgers, Northwestern has lost seven straight conference match-ups, but other than a rout by Wisconsin, the Wildcats have been in every game, losing most by only a few points.

Delaware State at NJIT. &:30 PM. The Hornets step out of conference to take on indy NJIT whose record is above .500 for the first time in years.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

What St. Joe's lacks in roster depth, they make up for with really good hair.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:What St. Joe's lacks in roster depth, they make up for with really good hair.
Bembry has the best hair I've seen in awhile for sure.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote:
ace wrote:What St. Joe's lacks in roster depth, they make up for with really good hair.
Bembry has the best hair I've seen in awhile for sure.
Javon Baumann is trying, but he's overshadowed by Bembry.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

They look taller with that hair.

Of course, Bembry is so good, Phil will let him grow his hair any way he wants.

Especially since Martelli doesn't have any.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/10/ ... basketball

I'd put Utah State up against anyone in the nation. Kid N' Play 2.0 with the red.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Oh wow thats good stuff right there!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Most impactful result from Tuesday night was Nebraska beating Northwestern, 76-60. After a close first half the Cornhuskers pulled away in the second half on Terran Petteway's 28 points and some nifty 3-point shooting. The win boosted URI up four positions to #65 in the RPI. Such is the way of the RPI model.

Also, Delaware State lost to NJIT, 69 -51, and was behind big time from the very start of game.

URI also helped by the Saint Louis win over St. Joseph's, 68-61, since we have beaten SLU and have yet to play SJU.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Three A-10 games on tap tonight:

UMass at Fordham. 7 PM. Fordham still looking for their first A-10 win and maybe after Fordham’s bad loss at Dayton, the Rose Hill environment will provide the recipe for an upset.

St. Bonaventure at Davidson.7 PM. The Bonnies season appears to be slipping away considering last week’s losses to URI and La Salle. The loss at SJU was a bad one so for Davidson to get back in the hunt for the league crown the Wildcats need to get juiced to take this one.

VCU at George Mason. 7 PM. On CBS Sports. After last week’s loss in a rivalry game, VCU will have to re-group and find a new team identity as they finish the season without Briante Weber.

Detroit at Valparaiso. 8 PM. Detroit has not played well on the road and against a better team, their hopes look dim to change that.

Providence at Georgetown. 9 PM. On Fox Sports.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Going to have a close eye on that VCU game, very curious to see how they look without Weber.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:Going to have a close eye on that VCU game, very curious to see how they look without Weber.
I expect them to drub GM
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
adam914 wrote:Going to have a close eye on that VCU game, very curious to see how they look without Weber.
I expect them to drub GM
Totally agree
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

And....VCU down at the half to GMU. And Graham reinjured his ankle. It is all falling apart for VCU, which is really too bad but does make this conference wide open.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And UMass down 6 at the half to Fordham.

Another nice hit to the RPI if Fordham wins that game.

We HAVE to beat UMass here, a must win.......

If Graham is out for any length of time, VCU won't win the conference.

They have depth, but losing their 2 best players is too much.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:And....VCU down at the half to GMU. And Graham reinjured his ankle. It is all falling apart for VCU, which is really too bad but does make this conference wide open.
Oh wow! I had some stuff come up at work and couldn't watch any of it. Very surprising.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

With Severe starting to come on for Fordham, they have 3-4 guys that could start on most A10 teams. I'm glad we are done with them for the season, as I think they will be a pain for the remainder of the season.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Bonnies win at the buzzer at Davidson
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Marcus Posey at the buzzer at Davidson!
Now if Fordham can do it.......
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

No Briante? No Treveon? No problem, at least against George Mason.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Good to see VCU pull it together and put GMU away pretty comfortably down the stretch.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Why? I want them to come back to the pack, so we
can be number one.
I was rooting for GMU, but they couldn't keep it together.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Neither could Fordham. They are starting to get better, but they can't close out games.

Sounds like us not too long ago.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Buffalo Bobby Hurley's team won again. Road game to Ball State.
Lamonte Bearden the flashy 6'3" freshman PG iced it with 2 free throws,and rebounded the final shot by BS.
82-78.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote:Buffalo Bobby Hurley's team won again. Road game to Ball State.
Lamonte Bearden the flashy 6'3" freshman PG iced it with 2 free throws,and rebounded the final shot by BS.
82-78.
More like held on and escaped- but a win is a win!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Bobby's team can score, can't they?

They don't play D like we do, but it would be an interesting game if we played them.

Which we won't of course.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Not a good night for A-10 home teams as all three lost. Davidson will take a big hit on the RPI with this loss to SBU. The Wildcats are learning life in the A-10 is unpredictable.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Davidson without Gibbs is struggling big time now.

They are still making a lot of 3's, but not much else.

Does anybody know when Gibbs will be back? Hopefully not until after we play them, but that's 3 weeks from now.

They have been great at home, this was a big surprise losing tonight.

Don't look now, but GW and Davidson are starting to fall back to the middle of the pack. Richmond and UMass are closing the gap. We have to stay ahead of them.

Sunday's game is huge.

P.S. Actually, Davidson IS middle of the pack now. If they don't get Gibbs back soon, they're in big trouble.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I would be surprised if Davidson didn't succumb to the A10 grind. With a great guy out, first season at this level.

It's not just the basketball, it's the quirks!!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote:No Briante? No Treveon? No problem, at least against George Mason.
Shaka said in his post-game presser that Graham is ailing from the same injury he suffered vs Rhody. It never fully healed.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

What a gusty win by Providence @ Gerogetown. Coming back down 10 in the second half. They really stepped up and handled some adversity well. Gotta hand it to them. They probably just ensures themselves a tourney berth tonight.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

PeterRamTime wrote:What a gusty win by Providence @ Gerogetown. Coming back down 10 in the second half. They really stepped up and handled some adversity well. Gotta hand it to them. They probably just ensures themselves a tourney berth tonight.
This was a big step - but they have a tough road ahead. Need another big top 25 win to try to offset the road loss to BC, and especially the home loss to Brown.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Blue Man wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:What a gusty win by Providence @ Gerogetown. Coming back down 10 in the second half. They really stepped up and handled some adversity well. Gotta hand it to them. They probably just ensures themselves a tourney berth tonight.
This was a big step - but they have a tough road ahead. Need another big top 25 win to try to offset the road loss to BC, and especially the home loss to Brown.

Their wins over Georgetown (2), Butler, and Notre Dame more than offset the Brown and BC losses. They also have other top 100 wins over Yale, URI, UMass, Miami, and Xavier. Their RPI is currently at #20. They are in excellent position for their 2nd consecutive NCAA bid.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PC is a lock barring a monumental collapse, which I dont expect to happen with Cooley, Dunn and Henton. I hope they finish strong, Dunn continues to play like the beast he is, and then bolts for the NBA. And then we beat them by 20 at the Ryan Center to begin to make up for 5 straight losses.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

bigappleram wrote:PC is a lock barring a monumental collapse, which I dont expect to happen with Cooley, Dunn and Henton. I hope they finish strong, Dunn continues to play like the beast he is, and then bolts for the NBA. And then we beat them by 20 at the Ryan Center to begin to make up for 5 straight losses.
Can I add this to the "Just threw up . . . " thread?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Blue Man wrote:
What is big step to you? The top 25 or a 4-5 seed in the NCAA Tournament? PC could go the projected 3-5, and still finish with an RPI between 25-30. They finish the regular season 2-6, and they are still on the comfortable side of the bubble. Barring a 0-8 or 1-7 stretch, they are pretty comfortably in the NCAA.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
What is big step to you? The top 25 or a 4-5 seed in the NCAA Tournament? PC could go the projected 3-5, and still finish with an RPI between 25-30. They finish the regular season 2-6, and they are still on the comfortable side of the bubble. Barring a 0-8 or 1-7 stretch, they are pretty comfortably in the NCAA.
I forgot that they beat gtown twice, and butler still looks like a good win. Yeah they'll be dancing.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Just what I like on a chilly Thursday afternoon: sane talk about PC and Dunn. Makes my heart warm for yesteryear….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTOtagU ... freload=10

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES

A SUBSIDIARY OF BUTTERBALL LLC
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That behind the back through traffic was just other worldly.
Give the devil his due. That is some awesome stuff.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

rodfromcranston wrote:That behind the back through traffic was just other worldly.
Give the devil his due. That is some awesome stuff.
That's why Bressler Productions shared Classic Basketball with fellow aficionados, as opposed to Modern-Day Butcher-Ball…..

These comments are the truth and are in no way misrepresentations, made-up, mis-remembered, fibs, or an outright lie.

Bressler Productions, Emoticon Enterprises and Sodium Pentothal LLC take full responsibility for all content.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Only one game in the A-10 Thursday evening:

Richmond at La Salle. 6:30 PM. On NBC Sports. Interesting game to monitor given that both teams have identical overall records, are in the middle of the pack of the A-10, and both are looking to move up. La Salle is coming off a nice road win over the Bonnies, while Richmond is coming off a great effort in beating VCU, so this should be an intense closely fought game.

UMBC at UMass-Lowell. 7 PM UMBC has lost eight of out last nine games. UML after a great start has sagged. The River Hawks beat UMBC in their first game, so the home court should give them another win, but you never know.

Southern Miss at Middle Tennessee. 8 PM. MTU is a 13.5 point favorite. Enough said.

#2 Gonzaga at Santa Clara. 11 PM. On ESPN. The Broncos lost the first match-up with Gonzaga by 27 points. So far Gonzaga’s only blemish on its record is an OT loss at then #3 Arizona and SC is not going to change that picture.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:UMBC at UMass-Lowell. 7 PM UMBC has lost eight of out last nine games. UML after a great start has sagged. The River Hawks beat UMBC in their first game, so the home court should give them another win, but you never know.
Interesting note on UMBC (OK, maybe not that interesting): I rode an elevator with them in December at my hotel in Hartford when I was down there for work. They were in town to play Central Connecticut. Nice guys. They are pretty bad, but I root for them because they were cool to me for 30 or so seconds we were in the elevator together.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

LaSalle is crushing Richmond in the first half. Richmond did win on the road against depleted cross-town rival VCU, but they have generally been much better at home than on the road. This game is at LaSalle. But Richmond has dominated its conference home games so far and that makes me a little nervous about Sunday.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Finish this lasalle

Their home court is emBARONsing !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Richmond-La Salle has reached epic levels of ugliness.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The second half of this Richmond LaSalle game has been tough to watch so far. Ugly, ugly, ugly!