Matthews Showing Up in NBA Mock Drafts; URI Pro Potential

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
BPR2010
ARD

Matthews Showing Up in NBA Mock Drafts; URI Pro Potential

Unread post by BPR2010 »

I understand most people don't have ESPN Insider (I do because in addition to additional articles on ESPN.com, I also get a subscription to ESPN The Magazine included). Jeff Goodman came out with his first mock draft today for 2015, and our boy E.C. is a projected first rounder (27th). Kind of envisioned this next year, so a little shocked he has this much notoriety this soon. Reallllly hope he's not a 2 and done, can totally see him jumping after 3 seasons here though. Just a little FYI really that he's on the radar.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Re: E.C. Matthews ESPN Mock Draft 1.0

Unread post by Section104 »

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/mo ... odmanmock1

#27 EC Matthews Boston Celtics
Analysis: He's somewhat of an unknown, except for the fact that he's not all that far down the road from Boston. Matthews is a lefty who spent much of his time playing off the ball as a freshman, but he'll split his time this season between both backcourt spots. He can shoot it from deep, has a terrific feel for the game and has nice size and a knack for scoring the ball. The Celtics could use a guard who can really shoot it.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Great recognition for EC. I still don't see him leaving after this season, but stranger things have happened. That is why you keep recruiting the best players you can get at every position.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

BTW, it'd be awesome for him to go to Boston and actually makes a lot of sense. As we've read: Hurley has spent some time with Stevens in Boston...It'd be great to keep him somewhat local so we could have an NBA player making his way back to Kingston from time to time.
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by SlyWilliamsCaddy »

Prepare yourself. Most everybody here and now most national analysts are saying EC is gonna go first team all conference. While I agree that Treveon Graham from VCU will win conference POY (hes a senior who went First team all A10 last year playing on the best team in the conference whos going to be looking to try and capture some march magic and get back to the final four, which btw with the addition of Terry Larrier and the other 2 top 100 bigs, VCU 100% has the horses to get there), I think by the end of this season, even though Graham will win it out of respect, everybody will know that EC is the best player in the conference. He wont win most likely but you will see it in the form of a unanimous first team selection. When that happens, if you couple it with a tournament appearance maybe even a win or 2. Its bye bye Elbert. I say that because a 6'5 lefty guard that can shoot, drive, distribute, play defense and rebound, well those types of guys don't come along too often. Michael Carter-Williams was a good player coming out of St. Andrews, Mike Hart is an old family friend so I got to see Carter-Williams a bunch of times. IMHO its a wash. Mike can pass the ball a little better, sees the floor a little better, anticipates plays developing a little quicker. That comes from playing the position of Point though. Its not like EC doesn't have those skills, hes just never really had the opportunity, EC played on stacked teams his whole life but he always had his best friend top 100 pg Wes Clark with him distributing the ball.

All of that being said; once the scouts really see him play, hes gone. Hes got lottery type talent and if youre guaranteed to go in the first round, then you go. The last pick of the first round (remember 2nd round picks are non-guaranteed in the league) is still guaranteed to make 2.9ish million if their 3rd year option is picked up (96% of first rounders options are picked up). That scale skyrockets the higher you get picked. The 10th pick is guaranteed to make at least 6.26 million. EC could easily be this years Elfrid Payton in a much weaker draft.

For a lot of these guys at non-bcs schools its all about exposure. If Rhody goes out on national television and gives Kansas a run for its money or maybe even beats them, well we know that in order for that to happen EC is gonna have to take over. If he hangs 25 on Bill Selfs squad and cant be guarded well the secret will be out and you can forget about his junior year. Get ya popcorn ready. its going to be a fun ride. however long it lasts.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

While I love EC and think he has NBA potential, I really don't think he's ready yet. His outside shot is still inconsistent (though his work this summer may have improved that). I may have to eat these words come March, though!
Slava Ukraini!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'd still be shocked if he left after this year. After year 3 remains to be seen, since alot can obviously change by then.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

There's a huge difference between lotto pick money, and 1st round money.

I don't think he'll go if he's a low first round pick. He'll stay, work, and become a lottery pick after his 3rd year.

This isn't a Ledo situation where he's got scumbags and hangers on in his ear about needing to jump to the league.

The recognition is great for the program and potential recruits who can see this stuff though.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

For those who say he's not ready yet, he probably isn't. But he's still got a full college basketball season of approx. 30 games to play until the next draft. In March, we could be saying that he's definitely ready.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

If he improves from a very good freshman and is guaranteed to go first round, then he is probably going. If he is a second rounder then he should stay. It's all a bit premature. But the NBA dtafts on potential not finished products.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I hope his season this year lifts him into the first 10 picks in the draft.....and he should go.....it would be great for both him and our basketball team in the long run.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

unless he absolutely explodes, I don't see him going. 3 years would probably be ideal (reasonable to think he could finish his degree in that time plus that much older)
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

if he isn't Top 15 he shouldn't go...and hopefully he won't, seems like a very focused and heady kid. that said I am with Ramulous, if he plays himself into a mid 1st Rounder or better than Rhody will have had a very good year!! remember the best NBA prospects play in kingston. Go Rhody!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

EC basically just did his Prep year at URI and was A10 ROY. If he was just entering college right now he would be a 5* one and done recruit.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Fran Frischilla tweet today

Slowing putting FIBA hoops in back of my mind & getting ready for college hoops. Here's a scoring machine for you: URI soph, E.C. Matthews.
1:17pm - 29 Sep 14
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Let the year play out. There are no guarantees -- either way. How many guys, in how many sports, have we all seen with tears running down their cheeks because it didn't play out the way "it was supposed to"???????
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Does Goodman include any Euros or any other foreigners in his draft?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Instead of worrying about EC leaving after this year, I'm just going to be excited about watching him play the upcoming season. If I were him and I had a mid 1st rd or better grade, I'd go. Otherwise I'd wait another year. But if he does get to a mid 1st grade this year....imagine what watching him get there will be like? Win-win for us. We will keep recruiting and bringing in and developing special players, so I'm just going to enjoy the ride.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The fact that he's even projected to be a 1st rounder next year can be used as a recruiting tool right now.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

eli#10 wrote:Does Goodman include any Euros or any other foreigners in his draft?
Yes, 3 including Mudiay.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Ramblinrose wrote:If he improves from a very good freshman and is guaranteed to go first round, then he is probably going. If he is a second rounder then he should stay. It's all a bit premature. But the NBA dtafts on potential not finished products.
The problem is players who are projected to go late first round can easily slip into the second. So for many there is no "guarantee" of the first round. I agree if he's projected to go top 15, he should go. Otherwise, wait a year.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Remember that time the PC folks reminded us how highly rated Kris Dunn was and basically disregarded EC Matthews…..ummm how did that turn out?
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Good point, Iggy. Some had Bryce Cotton as late first round. He wasnt drafted. But it's hard to sway kids once they hear NBA.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

BAR, in Dunn's defense, you can't really control the severity of the injuries he sustained. Flip it around and Dunn may be at an E.C. type of potential. Again, that's all hypothetical but as of right now it's a no contest. I truly feel we have the best player in that game December 10th.

E.C. has good people behind him, don't see him leaving unless he's a top 10-15 guaranteed. A lot of factors play into it besides that (how the season goes, who enters/doesn't, potential of team in the future, etc.)
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Of course injuries played a role in how things shook out. But it is what it is, the best player in RI plays in Kingston.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SlyWilliamsCaddy wrote:Prepare yourself. Most everybody here and now most national analysts are saying EC is gonna go first team all conference. While I agree that Treveon Graham from VCU will win conference POY (hes a senior who went First team all A10 last year playing on the best team in the conference whos going to be looking to try and capture some march magic and get back to the final four, which btw with the addition of Terry Larrier and the other 2 top 100 bigs, VCU 100% has the horses to get there), I think by the end of this season, even though Graham will win it out of respect, everybody will know that EC is the best player in the conference. He wont win most likely but you will see it in the form of a unanimous first team selection. When that happens, if you couple it with a tournament appearance maybe even a win or 2. Its bye bye Elbert. I say that because a 6'5 lefty guard that can shoot, drive, distribute, play defense and rebound, well those types of guys don't come along too often. Michael Carter-Williams was a good player coming out of St. Andrews, Mike Hart is an old family friend so I got to see Carter-Williams a bunch of times. IMHO its a wash. Mike can pass the ball a little better, sees the floor a little better, anticipates plays developing a little quicker. That comes from playing the position of Point though. Its not like EC doesn't have those skills, hes just never really had the opportunity, EC played on stacked teams his whole life but he always had his best friend top 100 pg Wes Clark with him distributing the ball.
All of that being said; once the scouts really see him play, hes gone. Hes got lottery type talent and if youre guaranteed to go in the first round, then you go. The last pick of the first round (remember 2nd round picks are non-guaranteed in the league) is still guaranteed to make 2.9ish million if their 3rd year option is picked up (96% of first rounders options are picked up). That scale skyrockets the higher you get picked. The 10th pick is guaranteed to make at least 6.26 million. EC could easily be this years Elfrid Payton in a much weaker draft.
For a lot of these guys at non-bcs schools its all about exposure. If Rhody goes out on national television and gives Kansas a run for its money or maybe even beats them, well we know that in order for that to happen EC is gonna have to take over. If he hangs 25 on Bill Selfs squad and cant be guarded well the secret will be out and you can forget about his junior year. Get ya popcorn ready. its going to be a fun ride. however long it lasts.
Agree completely SWC, especially with the highlights in blue from your quote....... I hate to see him go, but I think it is inevitable.

Consider this:
Jeff Goodman has EC going #27 in his 2015 Mock Draft released last week. 3 Players from Kansas are ahead of EC for the 2015 Mock Draft. Goodman lists EC as PG :D
Going #23 Wayne Seldon SG SOPH 6'5" 230 lbs. Think Jared Terrell is looking forward to that Matchup??? Terrell against Seldon alone is worth the price of admission to the Kansas URI Game on Thanksgiving Day!!!!! Wonder if Dan had Terrell thinking of that opportunity when he wooed him to Rhody :D Terrell knows Seldon is headed to the NBA just as he wants to as well.
Going #7 is Cliff Alexander FRESHMAN PF 6'8" 250 lbs. Great opportunity for Hare, Watson and Biruta to go up against a guy of this stature.
Going #5 is Kelly Oubre FRESHMAN SF 6'7" 205 lbs. Great opportunity for Hassan Martin to show his talents matched up against Oubre
So what an opportunity for URI Players to go against Kansas on National TV on Thanksgiving Day.
Expect EC to have a great game and to bring more National publicity to himself and to URI.
Consider that Goodman does not have SR Treveon Graham going in his Mock Draft - EC being the only A10 player.
http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2015/story/ ... k-draft-10

NBA Draft.net lists EC as the 7th ranked SOPH in the Nation for this year.
They list Kansas' Wayne Seldon as the Top SOPH so this makes for the Kansas URI Thanksgiving Matchup even more intriguing.
7. EC Matthews 6-4 185 PG/SG Rhode Island
EC Matthews, Young for his class, this athletic combo guard had a surprising freshman season that put him firmly on the radar of NBA scouts. He has a lefty stroke that has to be accounted for, along with some ability as a slasher that led to him averaging 18.9 ppg from February on. He still needs to work on his in-between game, although he really did spread his shooting over every level. He also has a lot of potential as a defender and some solid lateral quickness. His playmaking and ball handling still needs work, though even if he is not a PG at the next level, he has tools that still make him quite valuable at the other guard spot. Mathews is one of the biggest sleepers in the country.
http://www.nbadraft.net/top-ncaa-15-sophomores

NBA Draft.net now has EC going #11 in the 2016 Mock Draft.
http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft
EC has moved up from #16 to #11 just recently. He is climbing in reputation. Now show going to the NY Knicks. EC is Listed as a combo guard SG/PG. 7 of the 10 players ahead of EC in the 2016 Mock are HS Seniors this year and 5 of them have not selected a College yet. The 5th Player to be drafted in 2016 by the Celtics is Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk who is now a Freshman at, you guessed it, Kansas and will be playing against URI Thanksgiving. He is from the Ukraine. Troy Williams from Indiana is picked to go 10th just ahead of EC - Troy is a SOPH SG. Nobody ahead of EC is a Junior or Senior - all HS, Freshmen or Soph.

My advice is to enjoy EC this year. I think he will play even better than most people think. That only raises his reputation.
I already have my Tickets for Orlando - wouldn't miss this Tournament for anything. Can't wait for the Nebraska game either. Then PC? What a great season we have to look forward to - after all these long years since Jim Harrick. :oops: :oops: :oops:

If EC stays for his Junior Year, then great, but no way am I planning on that. This kid is just too good and he will have the NBA Scouts in Orlando in 7.5 weeks on November 27th taking a lot of notes :D :D
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Ramster you are spot on buddy. I have been trying to convince anybody who will listen that they need to get out and see EC this year. He wont be here next year. Hes too good too talented. Look at the last 5 years of the nba draft. Time and time again, you have sophomore and junior guards who seemingly come out of nowhere because the schools they play for aren't "blue bloods" and they end up going in the lottery. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope from Georgia, Klay Thompson wash st, Elfrid Payton Louis-Lafayette, Terrence Ross Wash, Alec Burks colorado, Damian Lillard weber st. All of these guys had comparable freshman seasons as EC and majority of them went on the win their respective conference player of the year awards their sophomore seasons and that was it they were gone. In the lottery.

Mark my words; by the end of this season we will not be debating whether or not EC is staying. We will be debating whether or not Danny Ainge will draft him with the 5th pick.

EC will be picked in the second half of the lottery of the 2015 NBA Draft. Book it.

Don't worry Rhody fans. Sure we would love to keep him for all 4 years. Id rather have him go All-American as a sophomore, win the A10 tourney, get a 5 seed and make the Sweet 16.
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Everybody do themselves a favor and go look at Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.

Every player is different clearly, but that's the path that EC is on.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

His D needs to come a long way to be NBA ready.

Not saying he's bad at all..but at that level you NEED to be complete. I don't see him as a lotto pick, simply for the lack of national visibility this year. Unless we make an NCAA run where he is the clear star, he's not going to go in the top 5.

I certainly believe he has the talent to be a top 5 pick, but the difference in money between top 5 and top 15 is so great that I think he'd want to stay and develop into a guarantee top pick instead of a maybe projection.

He's here next year and will be a lock top 5 pick after his junior year.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think you need to take into account the type of kid EC is as well. I could definitely see him being the type of kid that wants to stick around and finish what he started. Maybe not the full 4 years, but 3 at least. Let's remember what he said in that quote last year, I don't have it in front of me right now, but something along the lines of "I came here to help build a program."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

adam914 wrote:I think you need to take into account the type of kid EC is as well. I could definitely see him being the type of kid that wants to stick around and finish what he started. Maybe not the full 4 years, but 3 at least. Let's remember what he said in that quote last year, I don't have it in front of me right now, but something along the lines of "I came here to help build a program."
I made it my signature during the darker days of last season to remind everyone the path that we're on.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

bigappleram wrote:Of course injuries played a role in how things shook out. But it is what it is, the best player in RI plays in Kingston.
LaDontae Henton would disagree. No disrespect to EC; he may end up being better, but right now Henton has done more. Hit more big shots, won more games.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Sean, I think we're talking about upcoming season performance and impact.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
adam914 wrote:I think you need to take into account the type of kid EC is as well. I could definitely see him being the type of kid that wants to stick around and finish what he started. Maybe not the full 4 years, but 3 at least. Let's remember what he said in that quote last year, I don't have it in front of me right now, but something along the lines of "I came here to help build a program."
I made it my signature during the darker days of last season to remind everyone the path that we're on.
Thank you! I knew someone had it as their signature and couldn't remember who it was.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

how many scouts have been in to see Henton this week? This isn't comparing career stats, given one guy had a 2 year head start, and has had a great college career so its no knock on Henton. He's a nice player and will be a first team BE player this year who goes on to make a lot of money in Europe (sound like a mid major conference anyone?). But skills wise its not close.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Bar,

You posted the best player in RI plays in Kingston. I disagree. EC has a much higher ceiling; but message boards are littered with strings about off season improvements. Henton has proved it on the court vs. tournament teams. Right now, the best player in RI plays for the Friars. IMHO.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

I guess I'll have to eat my words if he is picked in the first round but I just don't see it. I think Martin is the more likely NBA prospect. EC doesn't have an NBA first step and isn't an elite shooter. I think his path is easier if he develops into a guy who can play PG at the next level because draft pools are LOADED every year with college kids who can score 15-20ppg at 6'4". I'm rooting for him but, man, my head tells me great college player without a true NBA game.
As for the term "not ready" being thrown around, I would say 90% of the kids drafted every year aren't ready. Very few polished players in the draft, anymore. Like a Doug McDermott.
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Henton is a better player right now but he has Europe or D League written all over him. EC is a better long term prospect.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

GBG, one reason McDermott is so polished is, he played for four years.
That's the main difference in now and the past.
How many of these one and done types are truly ready for the NBA?
Instead of honing their game, they're looking to go pro ASAP.
People around them have their own selfish agendas and push them towards the money,
without regard to their ability to make a real impact on whatever team might
draft them.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:GBG, one reason McDermott is so polished is, he played for four years.
That's the main difference in now and the past.
How many of these one and done types are truly ready for the NBA?
Instead of honing their game, they're looking to go pro ASAP.
People around them have their own selfish agendas and push them towards the money,
without regard to their ability to make a real impact on whatever team might
draft them.
No doubt about it. I do think there is a middle ground, though. There are plenty of Ledo types out there but, frankly, if you are projected safely into the middle of the first round (pick 20 or better) then I think you really should consider going. I miss the days where teams of seniors and juniors played teams of seniors and juniors, with the occasional young kid sprinkled in. That was great basketball. Think of all of all of those final fours a generation ago. Larry Johnson, Augmon, Anderson Hunt, Greg Anthony win the title and then all come back? Awesome. And they run into Grant Hill, Thomas Hill, Hurley, and Laettner (Imagine that team being a huge underdog). But, it's hard to look a kid in the face and tell him to pass up three years of guaranteed NBA money.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Yup. Money changes the equasion, for sure.
We will never again see really great teams in college ball,
which is a shame.
You could see teams like Indiana, UCLA, and UNC building their team
and bringing in new talent added to the core of upperclassmen.
Now, the best players will only see one year and go pro.
The McDermotts and Handsbroughs are the exception, not the rule.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Most NBA teams with high picks (lottery) draft based simply on "potential". If they can get an unpolished guy who played only 1 year, is 18 years old, but has an enormous amount of "potential", then lock it up, they're taking them. As opposed to a 22 year old, first team AA, who has a more well-rounded game. It's just how the game has evolved, and more importantly how NBA teams scout and perceive talent.

Also, I believe someone made the comparison to Elfrid Payton Jr. With all due respect, Payton won the National Defensive POY award last season. The guy is the definition of a lockdown defender. His offensive game definitely needs some work, but can we honestly say EC is anywhere close to even the A10 defensive POY? This is an area of his game that I'm looking forward to seeing improvements in this year. Same body type, same "potential", same age. One guy has a definitive part of his game that is established and should get better in the NBA. I just can't see EC going top 5 after this year. Mid-first round is a fair projection, but after another year here, I can see him as a top 5.

Granted, if he is projected top 5 after this season, I think we'll be booking flights and hotels to a Sweet 16 destination.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

At least we do NOT have to worry about EC working his ass off to round his game into a 1st round NBA package. We also do NOT have to worry about the staff helping him understand where to invest his time to raise his game as quickly as possible.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Isn't it nice to have this be our conversation right now...think of 2 years ago at this time. #RIse indeed.

Give to Rhody's NIL
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

GBG you are completely wrong and Sean why are you still here you little rat faced weasel. yea hentons the best player in rhode island. hahahahah. Even you, weasel, have to admit that henton hasn't improved whatsoever over his first 3 years. hes actually regressed under baldspot. oh no. blasphemy. how dare I question the great and powerful big baldspot. Go back and look at it. Henton has not improved a single thing over his 3 years except for shot selection and that's iffy.

What pc people don't understand is that Henton is highly overrated. Henton had already reached his ceiling before he even committed late to PC. Don't get me wrong hes a good college player but give me a break, the kid has absolutely zero chance of playing in the nba. Hes a power forward in a small forwards body. his per 40 min averages last season (and his whole career basically) were 15ppg 9rpg 2apg.

Not bad. But not even close.

ECs per 40 averages last season were 18ppg 5rpg 3apg. From a 6'5 freshman guard who barely played 25mpg for the first half of the year.

Keep in mind that last season Henton played 40 or more minutes in a game, 13 times. he additionally played 39 minutes in another 5 games.

Ec played 40 or more minutes, 3 times. once was becuz the game went to ot. henton had a bunch of ot games as well but he averaged 45mpg in those games. oh yea and ec only played 39 minutes, twice.

Its not even comparable. one player is past his prime. one player is just scratching the surface of his.

GBG I really think you're like seans cousin or maybe you are him as well. either way you my friend are an idiot. troll. EC absolutely has an nba first step. that's what scouts are already drooling over. his ability to dribble drive and blow by guys and get to the basket with his combo of lefty size and speed. lest one not forget that when hurley took the keys from munford and gave them to Matthews for the last 12 games of the season, EC finished off the year by going 22 for 56 on 3 pointers. a calculator tells me that means he shot 39% from 3 during that stretch. maybe not "elite" but what do you want him to be Jimmy Baron or Kyle Korver.

Sean I know you; I know the type of guy you are and I get it. I really do. you don't have a life, so you come on our board to troll. that's fine whatever. but for the sake of argument. please don't ever bring that weak shit again.

For seanyboy; you and I both know that the real question isn't whether EC is better then henton. That pit in PC fans stomachs, the real question theyd rather ignore and pretend isn't there like ed with his baldspot. is that the real comparison for henton is going to be Hassan. for soon enough, maybe even this year, Uri will have there henton except a lot better. I mean Hassan will give Rhody 14 and 8. I imagine he will do that often. prob have a season or 2 around 10 rebounds per game. But the real difference is the defense. for you see, henton has none. hes a liability due to his size.

Well I gotta get back to work. no need for me to say anything about Hassy's blocking ability. Cuz Seanyboy, I know you've already been having nightmares about it for months.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

SlyWilliamsCaddy wrote:GBG you are completely wrong and Sean why are you still here you little rat faced weasel. yea hentons the best player in rhode island. hahahahah. Even you, weasel, have to admit that henton hasn't improved whatsoever over his first 3 years. hes actually regressed under baldspot. oh no. blasphemy. how dare I question the great and powerful big baldspot. Go back and look at it. Henton has not improved a single thing over his 3 years except for shot selection and that's iffy.

What pc people don't understand is that Henton is highly overrated. Henton had already reached his ceiling before he even committed late to PC. Don't get me wrong hes a good college player but give me a break, the kid has absolutely zero chance of playing in the nba. Hes a power forward in a small forwards body. his per 40 min averages last season (and his whole career basically) were 15ppg 9rpg 2apg.

Not bad. But not even close.

ECs per 40 averages last season were 18ppg 5rpg 3apg. From a 6'5 freshman guard who barely played 25mpg for the first half of the year.

Keep in mind that last season Henton played 40 or more minutes in a game, 13 times. he additionally played 39 minutes in another 5 games.

Ec played 40 or more minutes, 3 times. once was becuz the game went to ot. henton had a bunch of ot games as well but he averaged 45mpg in those games. oh yea and ec only played 39 minutes, twice.

Its not even comparable. one player is past his prime. one player is just scratching the surface of his.

GBG I really think you're like seans cousin or maybe you are him as well. either way you my friend are an idiot. troll. EC absolutely has an nba first step. that's what scouts are already drooling over. his ability to dribble drive and blow by guys and get to the basket with his combo of lefty size and speed. lest one not forget that when hurley took the keys from munford and gave them to Matthews for the last 12 games of the season, EC finished off the year by going 22 for 56 on 3 pointers. a calculator tells me that means he shot 39% from 3 during that stretch. maybe not "elite" but what do you want him to be Jimmy Baron or Kyle Korver.

Sean I know you; I know the type of guy you are and I get it. I really do. you don't have a life, so you come on our board to troll. that's fine whatever. but for the sake of argument. please don't ever bring that weak shit again.

For seanyboy; you and I both know that the real question isn't whether EC is better then henton. That pit in PC fans stomachs, the real question theyd rather ignore and pretend isn't there like ed with his baldspot. is that the real comparison for henton is going to be Hassan. for soon enough, maybe even this year, Uri will have there henton except a lot better. I mean Hassan will give Rhody 14 and 8. I imagine he will do that often. prob have a season or 2 around 10 rebounds per game. But the real difference is the defense. for you see, henton has none. hes a liability due to his size.

Well I gotta get back to work. no need for me to say anything about Hassy's blocking ability. Cuz Seanyboy, I know you've already been having nightmares about it for months.
*drops mic

BAM.

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Henton is probably in the Will Daniels/Delroy James-class of player. That is not an insult, either, since I really liked both of those guys. But he is a very good college player with a chance at a nice euro career. EC has not proved it yet, but he is being regarded right now as a first round talent after his freshman season. Henton will most likely not be drafted following his senior season. If given a choice of taking either player today, 30/30 NBA GMs would take EC. Again, not knock on Henton at all, but EC looks like one of those once-a-decade diamond finds at this point.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I've never once argued who's the better long term prospect. Read my original post. I literally wrote EC was better long term.

As far as Slys rant vs. me. I don't know what's sadder; his delusions or Blueman immediately dropping to his knees in homage.

Knock Ed Cooley all you want. His ability to develop players is intact. No one wanted Cotton or Batts and they both are getting NBA looks. He lost his starting PG and two key freshman before the season started. What did he do? Took six scholarship players to a BE tourney championship and an NCAA birth Knock his appearance in anonymity on a message board. Because you know you wouldn't have the guts to do the same to his face. You question my character; what does that say about you?

You sound like a moron when you question Cooleys coaching ability.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Actually Sean, I just did do it right to his face. As I am strolling to lunch on 5th Ave who walks by, Ed Cooley and 3 suits, I assume BE media day today?

Anyhow, greeted him with a friendly smile and shout that I was a Rhode Islander. As we shook hands had to drop it on him though "I am a Rhode Islander, but I'm a URI fan and you are going down in December"
He laughed and we parted ways. One of his cronies didn't seem to like it, but Big Ed probably was just happy someone on the streets of NY recognized him.

And as far as Henton vs EC its a no contest, if you had to choose 1 right now to start your team whether its based on current or projected you choose EC 9 times out of 10 unless you already have a stud 2G. Tweener 3/4s are a dime a dozen in college game, Henton is a nice player. But just that, a nice player. Gets the most out of what he has, but I look forward to seeing what he does without Cotton drawing double teams and with his limited perimeter skills off the dribble. He has a ceiling and has already met it.