Rice player waivers.....

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Rice player waivers.....

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Two of Reischel's teamates on last year's Rice team have received waivers to play this year. Both occured in the last week.......Did URI apply for a hardship waiver?
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: Rice player waivers.....

Unread post by Running Ram »

Excellent question!
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

what are the reasons players are allowed waivers, besides the "ill family member, have to go closer to home" reason....like Dez Wells from Xavier, why is he able to suit up right away? why can these rice players do the same, but reischel cannot? it seems so arbitrary, but then again it is the ncaa.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Wells was declared eligible because he was kicked out of Xavier on assault charges that were then dropped.

I believe the Rice players were claiming problems with the coach (don't know the exact allegations)
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Lots of waivers being granted everyday by the NCAA,
Not understanding what the holdup on Onyekaba is.
BAR makes a great point on Reischel. Did the Athletic Dept. even apply for a waiver?
The7'2" kid from the Middle East isn't going home or closer to home out West, and he got a waiver.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I know they did for Minnis, which was obviously denied. I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing they would make it the same across the board, transfer and sit out a year. I really don't care if your aunt's sick or your dad got fired or whatever (I mean, I do, but not in a basketball way). I've found it difficult to get specifics on a lot of these situations; they just say they're cleared/not cleared, and that's it.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I knew it was first reported as an issue with the coach; this article mentions racial allegations, which the school denies.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... -for-ducks
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Knowing how slow the NCAA works on eligibility issues, I wonder how Billy Baron got cleared to play for Canisius so quickly.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramfan85 wrote:Knowing how slow the NCAA works on eligibility issues, I wonder how Billy Baron got cleared to play for Canisius so quickly.
Clear precedent with Zeigler, maybe?
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

CTRamfan wrote:Two of Reischel's teamates on last year's Rice team have received waivers to play this year. Both occured in the last week.......Did URI apply for a hardship waiver?
Who knows if URI even wants the waiver? Or reischel, really. You only get four years of play. Why not take this season that isn't going anywhere as a chance to get better and stronger then have three more years on what should be better Rhody teams. He is allowed to practice with the team so it isn't like he is going to atrophy.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
CTRamfan wrote:Two of Reischel's teamates on last year's Rice team have received waivers to play this year. Both occured in the last week.......Did URI apply for a hardship waiver?
Who knows if URI even wants the waiver? Or reischel, really. You only get four years of play. Why not take this season that isn't going anywhere as a chance to get better and stronger then have three more years on what should be better Rhody teams. He is allowed to practice with the team so it isn't like he is going to atrophy.
I was kind of thinking the same thing. In the long run we may be better off having him sit out this year.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I get where folks are going with holding off on these guys because they want to write off the season to transition, but I'd have to say I'd love to see both Reischel and Onyekaba playing this year. If it means the difference of three or four wins that's good enough for me. I'm looking for 14 wins so I can say I predicted it.
Go Rhody!!!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Actually, RR, you'd be adding a big wing in Reischel, and a post player in Onyekaba.
I think two things would be of benefit.
It would make this years team far more competitive, in bringing the talent level higher.
More importantly, it takes two players out of the "getting used to playing" syndrome.
Right now, we have Martin, Matthews, Reischel, Minnis, Biruta and Onyekaba, in additon to possibly
one or two more players. Seven or eight guys to get into playing form, after sitting out a year,
is a tall order.
I always use Lamar and a prime example. He was more talented than these players,
and it really took him until early February to get his game to the level expected of him.
I hope we have a more forgiving schedule than this year, next season.
You can beat lesser teams on talent alone, and gear up towards the A-10 schedule, without
sustaining too many losses.
Don't forget, we could go to the NCAAs by winning in Brooklyn next year, nice record or not.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I don't think Reischel would get a hardship waiver based on the Katz article just before the season started when he said he had no problem with the coach
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

twisted3829 wrote:I don't think Reischel would get a hardship waiver based on the Katz article just before the season started when he said he had no problem with the coach
It was the Athletic Director that was accused of discrimination though, not the coach.

Either way, saying you'd trade in a year of Reischel's eligibility for 3 or 4 wins is crazy (not aimed at you twisted, talking to whoever said that). We're not going anywhere this year with or without Reischel and Onyekaba, so I say let them sit out this year, practice and get stronger. The transition to D1 basketball will be easier for these guys with a full year and off-season of coaching from Hurley.
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

As I said, even Lamar Odom had a long time before finding his game.
If Reischel and Onyekaba played this year, there would have been two less players to
shake the rust off, next year.
Nothing beats playing in real competition. Ask any player, past or present.
I operate on the premise that Hurley will always be able to recruit what he needs.
It's not like it's these guys leave an empty cupboard after they use up their eligibility.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:As I said, even Lamar Odom had a long time before finding his game.
If Reischel and Onyekaba played this year, there would have been two less players to
shake the rust off, next year.
Nothing beats playing in real competition. Ask any player, past or present.
I operate on the premise that Hurley will always be able to recruit what he needs.
It's not like it's these guys leave an empty cupboard after they use up their eligibility.
Wizard of Rod-wrong again.

These kids are practicing under Hurley and (more importantly) should be getting a year stronger. Sign me up for a 23 year old 6'6" 235 pound Reischel playing on a very good team (even if not starting) as opposed to 19/20 year old Reischel at 6'6" 215 on a horrible team. On what planet is the latter a good idea? The only way it is a good idea is if URI is ready to win now or Reischel is going to go pro. I doubt either.

Crazy talk.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Gonebarongone wrote:Wizard of Rod-wrong again.
The name calling has to stop. You (Rod and Gone) are BOTH more than welcome to argue all your want, but we don't need to be inciting more off-topic, personally directed spam in these threads.

Learn to disagree and argue your respective points without name calling or labelling, or your posts will be trimmed as needed and your posting privileges may be suspended.

We all have topics where we feel passionate about our respective positions, but everyone needs to be less sensitive to conflicting opinions.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

High five for ATP.
I'm on the side of URI is better off with these players sitting now and playing when the program will be stronger.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hey, my posts here were my thoughts. I wasn't asking for this guy's approval.
So, he comes on and uses words like "crazy" "wrong"
and this bullshit "Wizard" crap. Who the hell died and told him he was the king
of basketball knowledge? He shows he's only against whatever I post. Trolling, by any name.
We had plenty of this garbage on the Projo board. End it.
If this poster wants to come on and shadow me on my posts and
name call, then ban him.
My point, which should be obvious to all but the biggest moron is, if you
add these two guys, to what's on this team, it changes the outlook completely,
from what we have to being able to use a post player and a big wing player.
A capable post player would change the offense totally. Two good players make the whole team better.
Really simple, pal. Duh!
Iggy, what a surprise piling on. Never would have guessed it.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

The difference of three or four games could be what gets Rhody some A10 post season play. This team, this year, is not as bad as all you who would write them off feel. One or both of these guys could bring this program a lot more good fortune than just the three or four wins of which I write. I don't have to break it all down do I? Furthermore, Rod is not wrong, nothing compares to game play in terms of experience, I'm sure Coach Hurley would choose to have either or both players eligible for this season if possible.
Go Rhody!!!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'd like to see these guys playing now. They would definitely make this year's team a lot better. Their playing experience this year would help next year's team.
I also think that the coaches are going to be able to continue to bring in good talent. I guess a lot of us are too used to seeing big gaps between talented players coming here.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Hey, my posts here were my thoughts. I wasn't asking for this guy's approval.
of basketball knowledge? He shows he's only against whatever I post. Trolling, by any name.
name call, then ban him.
A capable post player would change the offense totally. Two good players make the whole team better.
Really simple, pal. Duh!
Who is shadowing who, pal?

I said I wasn't ready to crown Hurley an offensive guru yet and then I said I thought it was in the best interest of the program to redshirt Reischel, regardless of whether he could get a waiver. You responded to both. Check the tower log, if you want. You responded to my reasoned posts by being loud and calling me a troll. I get that you are message board guy. Maybe it is a sanctuary for you. However, I believe that winning 3 games or winning 8 games this year matters not. I do not think that these guys would mean any postseason play. I would rather see them as fifth year guys on a winning team. Again, this is not an unreasonable proposition. If you disagree, say your two cents. But, calling someone troll, moron, etc is foaming at the mouth type stuff.
If you need to be Yertle the Turtle on this message board, that's OK with me. But, it won't stop me from giving what are reasoned opinions.

ATTENTION: Following my earlier post in this thread and a private message that has since gone unread, this post has earned GoneBaronGone his first and final warning to eliminate the kind of personal name calling that other members of this community find disruptive. - ATPTourFan
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

More name calling idiocy. If the shoe fits.......
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This Gonebarongone guy seems to be here looking for trouble, in my opinion.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ya think?
Rhody D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody D »

Good things come to those who wait. It has been painfull at times to be a rhody hoops fan over the final baron years. I am willing to sacrifice not having Reischel and the big o this year if it means a better shot at making the dance in the next three years. Patience.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I would like both guys playing this year. I think a few wins that they may bring, would be good for the general team morale, and the fan base.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's all "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin", because regardless of
what we think, here, it's not our call or even Hurley's.
It's whatever the NCAAs rulings are, odd as they may be at times.
I'll bet anything that they'd like to have a representative team now, and bank on being able to recruit
to replace, later.
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

I would prefer that R & O play this year. The NCAA should be more of a public body. If there is a reason or good reason that they should sit out make it public ,NCAA. In other words sh'' or get off the pot.
Plyuri02
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Plyuri02 »

Literally skipping over gonebarongone posts
"In Rod We Trust"
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am good with whatever happens. If they are eligible then we should see more wins this year, if not the future is still bright
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Hey, my posts here were my thoughts. I wasn't asking for this guy's approval.
name call, then ban him.
Really simple, pal. Duh!
Who is shadowing who, pal?

I said I wasn't ready to crown Hurley an offensive guru yet and then I said I thought it was in the best interest of the program to redshirt Reischel, regardless of whether he could get a waiver. You responded to both. Check the tower log, if you want. You responded to my reasoned posts by being loud and calling me a troll. I get that you are message board guy. Maybe it is a sanctuary for you. However, I believe that winning 3 games or winning 8 games this year matters not. I do not think that these guys would mean any postseason play. I would rather see them as fifth year guys on a winning team. Again, this is not an unreasonable proposition. If you disagree, say your two cents. But, calling someone troll, moron, etc is foaming at the mouth type stuff.
If you need to be Yertle the Turtle on this message board, that's OK with me. But, it won't stop me from giving what are reasoned opinions.

ATTENTION: Following my earlier post in this thread and a private message that has since gone unread, this post has earned GoneBaronGone his first and final warning to eliminate the kind of personal name calling that other members of this community find disruptive. - ATPTourFan

While I agree with yoru action here ATP I think you should also be consistent with all posters regardless of their views or "length of service"
I do not think that there should ever be profanity on this or any board, yet is allowed. And there had been some pretty brutal things said by posters to others that have gone unaddressed.
Just sayin
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I didn't realize we were in church. Of course you never talk like that, right?
Let me fill you in.
ATP sent both of us a PM, asking us to stop name calling, after my post which you've chosen to
highlight.
Your freind came on after these PMs were sent out, and continued his name calling.
THAT's why the red warning by ATP.
So don't put your nose where it doesn't belong, when you aren't in
command of the facts.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I don't want to beat a dead horse here with my opinion, but after 3 games now, I feel like we could be 2 and 1 if we had just one of the two players we've been talking about getting a waiver for, if we had both, I'm not sure we don't take VT to the brink on their home court. Tonight will be another big test, both teams may be tired and spent, the Hall/Washington game went into OT last night so I suspect we will have as much chance to come out energized as they do. The way things look, I'm sure either O or Reicshel would make a huge difference in terms of fresh feet on the court for 40 minutes. I remain hopeful at least one of these guys gets a waiver for this season.
Go Rhody!!!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Unless its been kept a total secret, they didnt apply for a waiver on Reischel I dont think. So I wouldnt worry about that one too much.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

yeah, I know and Hurley himself said he's not all that hopeful Onyekaba gets a waiver for this season, but hey, I'm ever the optimist for Rhody.
Go Rhody!!!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah, definitely not going to fault you for that! Its nice to actually feel like you can be optimistic around here for once.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:I didn't realize we were in church. Of course you never talk like that, right?
Let me fill you in.
ATP sent both of us a PM, asking us to stop name calling, after my post which you've chosen to
highlight.
Your freind came on after these PMs were sent out, and continued his name calling.
THAT's why the red warning by ATP.
So don't put your nose where it doesn't belong, when you aren't in
command of the facts.
no, quite honestly I don't talk like that