Jon Rothstein in Kingston

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Jon Rothstein in Kingston

Unread post by Rhody74 »

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein

No doubt URI will be one of the 40 teams he picks for his Top 20.
Slava Ukraini!
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Jon Rothstein in Kingston

Unread post by sf2010 »

Had plenty of buzz going into last year, think we'll get more of the same this season, though perhaps tempered a bit. Definitely always good to have national exposure though.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rothstein has always been very high on Hare.

Last edited by ace 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Feels like déjà vu. I believe it. I'm nervous. The offseason gets me everytime.

Robert Carter transferring? He's good, injured last year I believe. I really hoped he came here way back when. I wish we had a connect. He could sit out a year and replace Gil. I think he would be an upgrade but no chance.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Interesting that he sees the frontcourt as a strength. Of course, he's not watching two expected important parts of the backcourt.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think specifically he is saying that frontcourt depth will be a strength, and I agree. I've said so before. Having waves of bigs you can send out is a luxury in the A10. That a couple of them are (or can be) legit players even better.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Of course it's a strength and five is better than three. I'm just not sure I would say it's their "biggest strength." I'm also happy to be discussing which objectively good part of the team is the best.

I also like what he has to say about Reischel. If he never has to play anything other than the 3- which was not the case last year when he was sometimes out there along with three guards- I think he can have a different (better) kind of year.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

agree with most of what he says

Hassan is still way underrated...his FR stats were very impressive but a bit glazed over because of ECs accomplishments, his numbers are even more impressive when you consider he was a 6'7 18 year old covering 22 year old PFs and Centers.

Hare is an X Factor

Agree with his proposed early season starting lineup, i think the only change is if Biggie beats out TJ to start at PG.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Just back from Vegas. Good to see the national pub.

I don't think it will be long before JG takes over at the point. We will go only as far as PG play takes us. Of course it's nice that EC, TJ, and even JT will play some at the position.

JG is the only "natural" PG though. It is nice however to have so many interchangeable parts on this team. It's been quite a while since we have.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

There's a chance Reischel's shot could be more consistent this year, and I thought he mostly played good D. But he was a terrible rebounder last year and I doubt that will improve.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote:agree with most of what he says

Hassan is still way underrated...his FR stats were very impressive but a bit glazed over because of ECs accomplishments, his numbers are even more impressive when you consider he was a 6'7 18 year old covering 22 year old PFs and Centers.
Totally agree, and I think part of it with Hassan was that there wasn't that one stat (other than blocks to a degree) that really jumped off the box score at you every night like scoring alot can do. But he was pretty consistent late in the season, and that note that he provides about his numbers is very impressive.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Reischel may have been victimized for playing out of position all year. I hope he bounces back; otherwise he may not see many minutes.
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

as someone said, if JR just became a consistent corner 3 shooter and played good D he would get plenty of burn.
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

rothstein slobs on everyone's knob this time of year. take it with a grain of salt.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Everybody already knows that. It's kind of his rep.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

thx peeps but if we want frian fan opinions we will ask for them.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

That and, he eats a lot.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote:That and, he eats a lot.
And it's always Off the Charts!

That being said, I like him. Everybody can do with some optimism now and then.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

As for basketball, I am very anxious to see how practice Watson looks compared to game Watson. There's no doubt he's tough and strong, and Hassan likes practicing against him. I hope he can use those assets effectively in-game.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

except from the article:
CBSSports.com: You took a team trip to Italy last summer and arguably your best player was Jordan Hare (5.2 points, 4.0 rebounds, 1.8 blocks in 12-13). He never played a game for your team last season due to personal reasons. What does his return mean for your program?

Hurley: First of all, I think it's great for him. He belongs in college basketball and he belongs on a college campus getting his education. He's talented kid and he's an intelligent kid who with the level of commitment he's demonstrated in the last couple of weeks has a chance to resume his career and be a productive member of the program. Obviously, he brings things athletically in terms of his length that not a lot of people in our league have. Once he's eligible and in shape, he has a chance to be a really great piece for us
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"arguably your best player"??????????????
And people think Rothstein has a clue?
Too many pizza crawls have destroyed his mind.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Maybe, but others have said that, too- that Hare was their best player in Italy, not their best player overall. The article makes it clear that that is EC right now. Hare had some clear advantages over the Italian players, but a contributing Hare is huge for this team.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, in talking to people last night, Hare has a long
road to travel, before he becomes a contributor.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

My favorite parts...

"I think the depth is going to be huge for us. The last two years in rebuilding this thing we just haven't had all of the personnel that you need at this level to implement the style of play that we want to utilize both offensively and defensively. We've worked very, very hard the last two years to put the pieces in place to recruit exciting young talent and to also have some really experienced guys that can help lead."

"E.C. is a special talent. The things that he can do --- they're different. When you match that up with the high character, the highest level of work ethic, and a guy that keeps his circle real small, you've got a real exciting building block."

Now, they just need a quiet off-season and start of practice with no surprises. I'm hopeful but not at all certain about that happening.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

i was in italy, Hare did play well, not sure he was clearly the best player as the games were all glorified pick up games and the 2 teams i saw were not very tall or athletic so Hare could dominate....EC, X and Gil all looked good in italy too, so not much to take from it. i can say two things, the kid is smart and charismatic, and he has the potential to be an X factor for us. will it come to fruition remains to be seen.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Jon Rothstein, CBSSports.com: What's the biggest thing you know now after coaching for two years in the Atlantic 10 that you didn't know when you took the job?
Dan Hurley: The level of the conference. It's such a great league.

In other words, Dan originally thought he could win with Reischel, Biggie and Iffy type players. Then he realized he needed players like Terrell, Garrett and Watson to win in the A10.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:Jon Rothstein, CBSSports.com: What's the biggest thing you know now after coaching for two years in the Atlantic 10 that you didn't know when you took the job?

In other words, Dan originally thought he could win with Reischel, Biggie and Iffy type players. Then he realized he needed players like Terrell, Garrett and Watson to win in the A10.
I thought he was pretty candid about this last night at Rhody Joes, too. Even without him saying so, I think it is pretty obvious it is the case based on some of his comments from earlier in his tenure.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Exactly. He said he thought it would be like Wagner,
where one recruiting class and some leftovers could
turn the program around.
He admits to misjudging the league. As he said, "It's not a league where many
freshmen start."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Jon Rothstein, CBSSports.com: What's the biggest thing you know now after coaching for two years in the Atlantic 10 that you didn't know when you took the job?

I thought he was pretty candid about this last night at Rhody Joes, too. Even without him saying so, I think it is pretty obvious it is the case based on some of his comments from earlier in his tenure.
Agreed, but I don't think they could have really done anything differently. They had to fill 8 roster spots, starting in March, with only Hare and Aaman having already been recruited by them.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah I don't think they could have done anything differently, but I also think the way they calibrated expectations was colored by how they saw the league. It became accepted that he purposely inflated expectations for PR reasons, but I'm not convinced that was the case. I think they just misread the landscape a little bit. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. Just interesting.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Maybe a little of both. But they never even had the roster they thought they were going to have last season. Would that have made the difference? Rhetorical question, really, as the future is way more interesting to discuss than the past.
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

We do need to keep looking forward but we should remember that in year one Dan was supposed to have Holton and Baron...and did not...in year two he was supposed to have Hare and Aamen and did not....those two years would have been significantly different if those pieces were not missing.....Now onward and upward....
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Like This?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Now THAT'S a uniform. The helmut would help prevent head injuries, too. Maybe the names could be put on the back of it?