October 15th

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

October 15th

Unread post by bigappleram »

When they suit up for the first official practice and DH splits up the team to scrimmage who do you think is on the 1st vs 2nd team.....not what will it be eventually, or what you think it should be....my guess

Biggie
EC
TJ
Martin
Biruta

vs

Jarvis
JT
Reischel
Watson
Hare

Iffy, Butler, Powell in the wings. that's a highly competitive intra-squad scrimmage!
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Re: October 15th

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I think you're spot on BAR. The frosh and Hare will be 2nd team until they earn their spot on the 1st team.

Practices will be much more competitive this season and that's a big benefit for the team. There were things they just couldn't practice/simulate very well last year with the roster they had. Competition will be fierce. Love it.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

But even better, the 1st practice is now a couple of weeks earlier, isn't it?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I see the frosh getting about 20 minutes per game early on, then increasing as the year goes on, just like last year with EC and Hassan.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I have a feeling JT may start from day one. Just a feeling.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

How many games in was it before EC was starting last year?
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

JT will start. If you haven't seen this kid in person. He's that good. Shot needs work, but has a college ready frame now.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:JT will start. If you haven't seen this kid in person. He's that good. Shot needs work, but has a college ready frame now.
Maybe his range needs work, but his mid-range pull up jumper is outstanding. It just a matter of extending that range to beyond the arc.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

That's why I said first practice, within first few games I would expect JT to replace TJ and Garrett to usurp Biggie, just don't think that happens from day 1. Though I think adjustment for Jarvis will be much greater. May take him longer to be able to run a team. Steep learning curve for freshman PGs, the wing is much easier role to come into for JT ala EC last year.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

From what I've heard Coach Hurley say, or have attributed to him, many, many times before, it's about who produces at practice. That's where it all gets sorted out, that's where the competition for playing time occurs.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TJ vs. JT at practice...that could be quite the physical battle.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I think TJ will absolutely excel as that all-energy guy off the bench. He was forced into a role last year, but a role that matches his actual skill set will be fun to watch.
GY=URI
Abdul Fox

Unread post by GY=URI »

Role that matches skill set!!!! This is a key to it all. We have players that have exceptional skills.
Will they be able to improve on it or will they be forced to change? Improve on what you are best at
is my choice.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

GY=URI wrote:Role that matches skill set!!!! This is a key to it all. We have players that have exceptional skills.
Will they be able to improve on it or will they be forced to change? Improve on what you are best at
is my choice.
It's a good point. We had lots of players in roles last year that didn't match their skill set. Won't be the case next season.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

No longer will we have guys playing out of position.

As long as Hare fully makes it back, we have a full roster. Don't underestimate that. First time for Dan here.

At times next year, we will have 3 sophomores and 2 freshman on the floor. All great athletes.

[I'm including Hare as a sophomore, as he has 3 years of eligibility left]
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Coaches get a lot smarter when they have players who can execute at a high level.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RoadyJay wrote:
GY=URI wrote:Role that matches skill set!!!! This is a key to it all. We have players that have exceptional skills.
is my choice.
It's a good point. We had lots of players in roles last year that didn't match their skill set. Won't be the case next season.
Like, for example, Reischel having to be on the court with 3 guards (none of whom is a true pg) and Martin.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

if an eventual starting 5 of Garrett, EC, Terrell, Martin and Hare doesn't excite you then check yourself for a pulse.

The giant question mark in that is Hare and if he will ever match his athleticism with desire and ball skills. If so, by the season after next I would put that 5 up against any team in the country. a giant IF but an exciting thought.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:I think TJ will absolutely excel as that all-energy guy off the bench. He was forced into a role last year, but a role that matches his actual skill set will be fun to watch.
And the best part is he will fully embrace that role 100%, and work as hard as possible to be the best at it that he can be. He's a special kid and we're lucky to have him.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

TJ is a rare player these days. He's a credit to the team and URI community. Hoping this is a special year for our captain. And, he's got the right initials in his name.