'14 CA SG - Aubrey Dawkins (Michigan)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

'14 CA SG - Aubrey Dawkins (Michigan)

Unread post by BFC »

Aubrey Dawkins - SG
School: New Hampton Prep
Travel/AAU: Compton Magic

Ht: 6'4"
Wt: 180

RANKINGS:
Rivals: NR
ESPN: 2 Stars, 65 Grade, #101 SF
Scout: 2 Stars

OFFERS:
Rhode Island
Cal Poly
Charleston
Dayton
Montana
Northeastern
Utah State

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... ins-122147
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/baske ... ey-dawkins
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p= ... id=6353603
http://verbalcommits.com/players/aubrey-dawkins
http://247sports.com/Player/Aubrey-Dawkins-38742
Last edited by BFC 10 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '14 CA SG - Aubrey Dawkins (Offer)

Unread post by BFC »

Son of former NBA Player and current Stanford coach Johnny Dawkins.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

So, is he 6-2, 6-4, 6-5, or 6-6?
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Quite possible that he is still growing, especially considering he is apparently coming on very strong toward the end of this cycle.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

He was very good at the NPSI which is probably where we got involved:
Of the most sought-after unsigned-seniors, New Hampton’s Aubrey Dawkins was perhaps most outstanding. The lanky big man can play all three perimeter positions, and has improved his outside shooting to the degree where burying the three pointer is expected when left open.
http://coxsportsonline.com/2014/02/2014 ... y-tourney/
Aubrey Dawkins – 6’4 Shooting Guard – New Hampton Prep – Palo Alto, California 2014
The son of another coach, Aubrey Dawkins was a giant standout and breakout performer over the weekend in Providence. Sporting a quality physique and playmaking abilities at the tin, the one question mark surrounding the North Carolina native has always been in his shot making from behind the arc. The son of Stanford head coach, Johnny Dawkins, the younger Dawkins erased all questions surrounding his long range attempt and in his final outing in Rhode Island, hit on four 3’s and at one time, had scored 28 of his squad’s 52 points. The senior is a well-rounded individual with a high end intellect, both on and off the floor, and brings an added wealth to the APR structure that frightens so many college coaches surrounding a program’s cumulative GPA. The New Hampton Prep senior currently holds eight low and mid-major offers, though has recently been in touch with Boston College and VCU. Dawkins seems like a definite mid-major plus recruit, at the very least, and would really excel in an appropriate system in a conference like the Atlantic 10 next year.
http://roundballrundownreport.com/
Aubrey Dawkins, New Hampton – The six-foot-six post-graduate had all parts of his game clicking. He was hot from behind the arc and athletic in transition, but equally important was the level of energy he was able to provide his team on both ends of the floor. He finished with 28 points, 7 rebounds, and 3 steals.
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... ecap-I.php
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Interesting...playing prep ball at New Hampton, very strong program. Late bloomer could be worth it? Certainly has the genes...were we involved with any other New Hampton players this cycle?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I'm all in on players with Duke connections, which is why it's probably good that I have no actual recruiting power.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

This looks like a great get to me. A kid who can play the 2 and 3, which is what they're looking for. The staff can work with him and break him into the rotation gradually. Will be interesting to see what happens.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Seems to have real good rhythm on his jump shot, and being the son of a coach you'd expect him to have a solid BB IQ. I like him!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Iggy1979 wrote:This looks like a great get to me. A kid who can play the 2 and 3, which is what they're looking for. The staff can work with him and break him into the rotation gradually. Will be interesting to see what happens.
agree with Iggy, i like recruiting against strong pedigree (winning programs, coaches kids, etc)
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I wish I'd known about him before the tourney in Prov. I would have checked him out.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:I wish I'd known about him before the tourney in Prov. I would have checked him out.
Are those games still on-line somewhere?

BTW- I love recruiting talk. Yesterday, never heard of the guy. Today, he's the best, exactly what the team needs, hope they get him.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:I wish I'd known about him before the tourney in Prov. I would have checked him out.
Are those games still on-line somewhere?

BTW- I love recruiting talk. Yesterday, never heard of the guy. Today, he's the best, exactly what the team needs, hope they get him.
Good question about if they're online. I think Cox carried some of the games? I don't remember though. I will check later.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

ace wrote:
Guilty :D

Kinda speaks to just how many players are out there, and how a well-timed hot streak can greatly improve a player's stock.

And at this point, if a kid's highlight video has a decent looking jumper and range beyond the arc, I'm all for it
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Finding a late bloomer is key at this point.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Number 15 and a coach's kid? I like those.

Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Is he not good enough to play for Stanford and his dad ???? Is Stanford that much above our level that he is suitable for us but not for them?

It raises some red flags to me.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Ramulous wrote:Is he not good enough to play for Stanford and his dad ???? Is Stanford that much above our level that he is suitable for us but not for them?

It raises some red flags to me.....
I was so thinking the exact same thing!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seriously? Not every player wants to play for his or her father.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Without knowing a ton about Stanford and their roster and their recruiting class, I don't think you can jump to those kinds of conclusions. There could literally be 1000 reasons why he wouldn't end up playing for his dad.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

...not a huge red flag for me just details I am sure our staff has investigated if they made an offer....

Good student, good player with obvious hops and son of coach seems a natural match tho I know absolute zero right now about PAC 10 hoops.

I hope this works out could be a big part of filling out our roster.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

For '14, Stanford has four 4 star recruits coming in, by the way.
MrRamsDen76
Michael Andersen

Unread post by MrRamsDen76 »

If Bobby Hurley doesn't have a scholarship, or isn't interested, do you think he would contact his Duke compatriot and put in good word for his brother at URI ?
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

He passes the Keaney blue message board eye test. His father having a duke education... Also wonder why he wouldn't want to lock his kid in at a Stanford education? Basketball aside of course.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Bobby and Dawkins didn't play together but would know each other. I'm sure the Hurley name would help some.
Aubrey shot up so fast in high school he couldn't add weight fast enough so he is real thin. And his junior year was pretty average so he wasn't getting a lot of attention. But he had a great senior year. Late bloomer, as others have said.
Hoping to hear that he's visiting soon.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:Bobby and Dawkins didn't play together but would know each other. I'm sure the Hurley name would help some.
Aubrey shot up so fast in high school he couldn't add weight fast enough so he is real thin. And his junior year was pretty average so he wasn't getting a lot of attention. But he had a great senior year. Late bloomer, as others have said.
Hoping to hear that he's visiting soon.
Maybe that growth spurt is also the reason for the differences in his actual height listed on each site. I've seen him listed anywhere from 6'2" to 6"6".
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

Any further rumblings about this guy beyond the "offer"?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Dayton seems to be leading.
Very hard for the staff to recruit a freshman 2G when then they've penciled in the rookie of the year in that slot, which is why they were hoping to bring in a shooter who is more of a wing.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Iggy1979 wrote:Dayton seems to be leading.
Very hard for the staff to recruit a freshman 2G when then they've penciled in the rookie of the year in that slot, which is why they were hoping to bring in a shooter who is more of a wing.
don't at all agree. way too much emphasis on the "position" they play".give me basketball players- absolutely nothing wrong with playing three guards a lot of the time. remember the discussion we had a while ago about recruiting 2 point guards, -- it looks that is exactly what the national champion did both this time and when Shabazz was a freshman.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Who was it that just said-Calhoun I think-talent wins games more than coaching and everything else.

If you have the players-enough good ones-you can win. Without the talent, you can't win.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

McRam wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Dayton seems to be leading.
don't at all agree. way too much emphasis on the "position" they play".give me basketball players- absolutely nothing wrong with playing three guards a lot of the time. remember the discussion we had a while ago about recruiting 2 point guards, -- it looks that is exactly what the national champion did both this time and when Shabazz was a freshman.
From the coaches standpoint, I agree. But from the perspective of a high school shooting guard: he looks and sees EC Mathews and doesn't see a lot of minutes. URI had trouble recruiting a 2G last year because Munford was going to be the starter. That's why the best they could do was Butler.
So the staff has been looking at a shooter 6-4 or taller who can play the wing. They can tell that recruit they'll be competing with JR, which is not as daunting.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

On Dawkins, are we even remotely involved here?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

URI offered. How involved, I have no idea.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ace wrote:Number 15 and a coach's kid? I like those.

a southpaw? a natural for us.
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Go Rhody!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

oh well………….sigh……….
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Dayton's been on him longer than us, if we were ever really involved. Michigan has a son of former NBA player opening after the Little Dog declared for the NBA.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Committed to Michigan, as expected. He chose them over Dayton.