EC Mathews Article in Sunday's PROJO

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

EC Mathews Article in Sunday's PROJO

Unread post by ramster »

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... future.ece

Very nice and interesting article in today's paper by Jim Donaldson
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Re: EC Mathews Article in Sunday's PROJO

Unread post by NJ03 »

“In the A-10, when your two best players are freshmen, in the short term, you’re going to lose. In the long term, we’re going to win. But it’s hard to see that right now.” -Hurley

“It’s hard to win in this conference,” he said. “Every team can play. But coach Hurley is a great coach. We’re bound to win. When we do, it’s going to make it that much better.
“We’re going to get better in the future,” Matthews said confidently. “Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program."

First off let me say the EC sounds like a quality young man. Not only a terrific basketball player but a man of dignity who has a tremendous playing career ahead of him. These quotes by both player and coach are up lifting And I truly believe that Hassan and EC are the building blocks of what could be an extremely bright future. I think most fans would agree. But at this point we can't afford to have a year off with a bad recruiting class. I think class of 2014 will be the most important in Hurley's tenure here. We need incoming freshman to build around, not JuCo's and transfers. Been there and done that. These guys need young parts around the. to build and grow especially a point guard, and unfortunately the players are running out. It's almost starting to feel like we are looking for prom dates a few days before prom.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Why couldn't we use transfers and JUCO's? Do we need incoming freshmen to build around, or do we have the freshmen to build around already playing and now we need to put as much talent as fast as possible to put around them? Personally, I want Hurley to put as much talent as possible as soon as possible on this roster, and I don't care which of the three avenues it comes from. We'll start getting better and better four year recruits once the turnaround is fully revealed.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Listen - I will take another JUCO like X. He was able to come in and be productive right away. EC and Hassan are the core, build around them with talent however we can get it. I would not be as disappointed as some here if we wound up with only 1 or 2 four year players in this class as long as the other guys coming in have talent.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

NJ03 wrote:I think class of 2014 will be the most important in Hurley's tenure here. We need incoming freshman to build around, not JuCo's and transfers. Been there and done that. These guys need young parts around the. to build and grow especially a point guard, and unfortunately the players are running out. It's almost starting to feel like we are looking for prom dates a few days before prom.
I don't know how closely you follow recruiting, but at this point int the 2014 cycle you're basically picking up parts off of the scrap heap. It is always possible to find a gem or luck into a player others missed, but if you have the expectation that the 2014 class is make-or-break you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I'd love to grab the center and a JUCO scorer and then refocus our recruiting on 2015 when we have a much bigger pool to work with. I think that is just being realistic.

The Donaldson article was a much needed dose of perspective and optimism this morning, and I agree with the premise and the message in the quotes shared here.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Jucos, all day long. Transfers? We need immediate
help. Unless it's a post grad player, who can come in and contribute.
Those players are harder to find, especially at this time of year.
It's an after the season thing.
It's been successful in many programs.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Every one hates Donaldson when he writes about their favorite team in a perceived negative fashion....but every one agrees with him when he writes in the same style about teams you dislike.....I think he is gutsy for telling the truth......let's not view him through Keaney colored glasses....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I view Donaldson through the crap he's written over decades.
His childish name calling of Dr. Carothers, Jim Harrick, Lamar Odom, among others.
His unending digs at the school and those associated with it.
He's so gutsy he never showed his face at Keaney in Harrick's two years.
You can like him if you want. It's a free country.
I don't.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

was at the game yesterday....EC is unreal. Keeps getting better and better...can't wait to see him next year.