Game #7: UNC Asheville - Mon Nov 25 @ 7:30pm ET

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Game #7: UNC Asheville - Mon Nov 25 @ 7:30pm ET

Unread post by RoadyJay »

UNC Asheville's record stands at 1-4. They were blown out by Kentucky and Duke by 30+ points but played Western Carolina and Norfolk St close. Lone win came against College of Charleston in overtime. They are picked to finish 3rd in the Big South Conference.

Freshman Andrew Rowsey (14.6 ppg), Forward Will Weeks (13.0 ppg), and big man DJ Cunningham (11.2 ppg/9.2 reb) lead the way for the Bulldogs. Rowsey can flat out shoot the rock. He averaged 35 points per game at a small high school in Virginia last season and was the state’s player of the year.

One of their top returning scorers, Trent Meyer, hasn't played yet this year and it looks like he recently underwent ankle surgery. Doesn't look like he will suit up against the Rams.

We should win this game but obviously we need to play much better than we did against UMass-Lowell.

Expect a UNC Asheville starting line-up of:
#15 Andrew Rowsey G Fr 5'10 175
#32 Will Weeks F So 6'6 220
#33 DJ Cunningham C Sr 6'10 240
#22 Corey Littlejohn G Jr 6'3 180
#5 Jaron Lane G Sr 6'4 185

Key reserves:
#31 Sam Hughes F So 6'4 205
#13 David Robertson G Fr 6'3 185

Video/TV: none expected

Radio: B101 FM Live Stream

GameNotes: Via GoRhody.com

For more information:
http://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2013 ... 1124pp3hvz

http://www.uncabulldogs.com/SportSelect ... PSID=92367
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: Game #7: UNC Asheville - Mon Nov 25 @ 7:30pm ET

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Anyone know if there will be any TV or Cox stream for this one?
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

doesn't seem like it, if cox isnt streaming or showing I doubt a pirated feed
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Their Center, Cunningham, is 6'10 and averaging nearly a double double. He should be a challenge for our "bigs."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
btk19
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by btk19 »

Any season ticket holders know what the deal is for tickets not included in the package sent out? Do we have to buy them separate or do we just need to pick them up?

First time season ticket holder so I'm not quite sure!

GO RHODY
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah I saw 6'10" and 240 and instantly got worried. He will probably dominate inside.

Doesn't seem like there is any TV for this one. I guess maybe because its part of the NIT Cox isnt allowed to air it?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

btk19 wrote:Any season ticket holders know what the deal is for tickets not included in the package sent out? Do we have to buy them separate or do we just need to pick them up?

First time season ticket holder so I'm not quite sure!

GO RHODY
There have been quite a few emails sent out to season tix holders on how this will work, in addition to an insert that came with your season tix envelope. Essentially, as a season tix holder, you have first rights to your season tickets, but you must purchase them either at the box office or online.

You must inform the box office or purchase your seats online by 10pm tonight, November 24, or else your specific seats will be released to the public for sale.

http://neweratickets-t.neolane.net/r/?i ... 7,3215596e
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

While the ticket prices seem very reasonable, they are tacking on a $4.75 per ticket
handling charge. Not sure if that applies to walk ups.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:While the ticket prices seem very reasonable, they are tacking on a $4.75 per ticket
handling charge. Not sure if that applies to walk ups.
I doubt it. I was going to buy my tickets day of game.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I want to see big O moveee that basterd out of the building like we know he can
GO RAMS
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I printed out my tickets at home and didnt pay any fee
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Like I just make this stuff up for the hell of it:

Ticket Purchases
2013 NIT TIP-OFF - NOVEMBER 25, 2013
Event Date: Monday, November 25, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Facility: The Ryan Center
Price Type Price Level Section Row Seat(s) Qty Price Conv Fee Amount
ADULT CLUB 111 A 22 1 15.00 4.75 19.75
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Well if how umass lowell's bigs played is any indication...that big dude is going to embarass our front court if nothing changes from the first 6 games
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote:Well if how umass lowell's bigs played is any indication...that big dude is going to embarass our front court if nothing changes from the first 6 games

Absolutely.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Like I just make this stuff up for the hell of it:

Ticket Purchases
2013 NIT TIP-OFF - NOVEMBER 25, 2013
Event Date: Monday, November 25, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Facility: The Ryan Center
Price Type Price Level Section Row Seat(s) Qty Price Conv Fee Amount
ADULT CLUB 111 A 22 1 15.00 4.75 19.75
Rod, there's no $4.75 fee when using your Ram Account to buy your same season tickets. However, if you simply go online as a non-season tix holder, you will have that fee.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Hard to say about their bigs. Other than their game with Norfolk State to whom they lost by 2, they have not dominated anyone in rebounding. In that game their advantage was 41-22. As expected, Cunningham produced double digit scoring versus equivalent competition, but in their routs by Kentucky and Duke, he was less of a scoring factor. From what I can see in competitive games, the Bulldogs use a 6-7 man rotation, so bench depth may be a question.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Agree that just because a guy is 6'10" 240 you can't assume he'll dominate. Granted, his numbers seem decent, but whenever I think 6'10" 240 I think of Jon Clark. Thanks Baron.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

adam914 wrote:Doesn't seem like there is any TV for this one. I guess maybe because its part of the NIT Cox isnt allowed to air it?
Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Was maybe hoping for some ESPN3 action, but the game is up on their site and there's no TV listed. Looks like a Steve and Don game for those that can't attend.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

We have bigs??.....Can I retract my earlier posts when I twice posted "Jordan who......."
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We have enough size, especially when Aaman comes back.

What we need, is for our bigs to play bigger.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

UNC-Asheville also has a 7-0 guy, Jaleel Roberts who comes off the bench for a spell.

For those into KenPom rankings, URI is ranked #184, UNC-Asheville gets #229 and McNeese State is #319. Lowell was ranked at #334.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here is the write up for the game tomorrow on the UNC Asheville Website.
Interesting to see the event they have planned for their first home game on December 12...why can't we do things like that?

http://www.uncabulldogs.com/SplashPage. ... ID=1218242

Men's Hoops at Rhode Island
Courtesy: UNCABulldogs.com
Release: 11/24/2013
KINGSTON, R.I. – The UNC Asheville men’s basketball team will journey to the University of Rhode Island for the third and fourth rounds on the NIT Tip-Off. The Bulldogs face Rhode Island Monday night at the Ryan Center starting at 7:30 p.m., followed by a game with in-state foe East Carolina Tuesday afternoon starting at 5 p.m.
Both games will be broadcast locally on WWNC Radio (570-AM) with the pre-game show at 7 p.m. on Monday and 4:45 on Tuesday.
Asheville (1-4) opened play in the NIT last week at Duke. The Bulldogs fell to fourth-ranked Duke on Monday, 91-55 before losing the next night to MEAC favorite Norfolk State, 80-78.
“We competed hard in both games and did some things but not enough to win,” stated first-year coach Nick McDevitt. “When you play good teams, you have to be consistent and play well for 40 minutes.”
McDevitt’s club faces two more good teams this week in Rhode Island. The Rams are 4-2 on the young season and are expected to be a factor in the Atlantic 10 race this season. They’re coached by Danny Hurley.
East Carolina is 4-1 this season with the only loss being a close 83-74 decision at Duke Tuesday night.
“We’ve got two more tough games up in Rhode Island and then we end the week (Dec. 1) with a game against a very good Charlotte team that’s playing for the Puerto Rico Shootout championship tonight,” stated McDevitt. “Playing these games is only going to make us better as we get closer to Big South Conference play.”
McDevitt is impressed with Rhode Island.
“Rhode Island had a very athletic team that is well-coached by Danny Hurley,” commented McDevitt. “They will be a tough match-up for us on their home-court. We’re going to need to be at our best to have a chance at winning.”
Asheville is being led in scoring this season by freshman guard Andrew Rowsey with a 14.6 average. Senior center D.J. Cunningham has an 11.2 mark and tops the club in rebounding (9.2) and blocked shots (14).
In the Bulldogs loss to Norfolk State Tuesday night, Asheville placed five players in double figures for the first time this season. Sophomore forward Sam Hughes led the Dogs with 16 points, followed by Jaron Lane (15), David Robertson (13), Cunningham (13) and Rowsey (12). Jaleel Roberts just missed a double-double with nine points and nine rebounds.
This is just the Bulldogs second visit to the state of Rhode Island. Asheville played at Providence on Dec. 30, 1989 with the Friars rallying in the second half for a74-60 victory. The Dogs played Providence last year in the final game of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off with the Friars edging Asheville, 72-67.
The trip to Rhode Island marks the second straight season the Bulldogs have played in the New England area. Asheville edged Northeastern, 80-74 last December in Boston. The Dogs made it a memorable trip by upsetting St. John’s, 72-65 in Queens a few days later.

BULLDOG NOTES
Monday’s game is the first meeting ever between Rhode Island and UNC Asheville.
The Bulldogs are off to a 1-4 start for the second straight year. Asheville recovered a year ago to go 16-16.
Asheville has not played a home game yet. They’ll play its first eight games away from Kimmel Arena before hosting Bluefield on Dec. 12.
Two starters from last season who were expected to start this year are still out. Senior guard Trent Meyer (9.7 ppg, 66 three-pointers made) is out with an ankle injury and has not played this year. He is expected back in a few weeks. Sophomore forward Will Weeks (13.0 ppg this year) played the first two games before suffering a knee injury. He will not play this week.
Freshman guard Andrew Rowsey was named Big South Freshman of the Week last Monday after scoring 24 points at Western Carolina (11-11) and 23 at College of Charleston (11-15). He has scored in double figures in four of the Bulldogs first five games.
Sophomore forward Sam Hughes has started the last three games in place of Will Weeks. He enjoyed a great two games at Duke last week. Hughes scored a career-high 16 points at Duke and then matched in the next night against Norfolk State along with a career-high eight rebounds.
Freshman guard David Robertson was a bright spot at Duke, as well. He tallied a season-high 12 points vs. the Blue Devils and then scored 13 the next night vs. Norfolk State.
Jaleel Roberts has come off the bench the past two games to score a season-high nine points in each contest. He grabbed a career-high nine rebounds against Norfolk State.
Senior center D.J. Cunningham has grabbed 599 career rebounds and blocked 194 shots entering the Rhode Island game. He is 10th all-time in career rebounds and second in blocked shots at Asheville.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I have loved Asheville every time I visit.

That said, I think they graduated their best guys or what I remember as good guys + first year coach.

Hopefully we take advantage of a Big south team that brings in a first year coach. Not give them anything to believe in or build off.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Added some stuff to first post from GoRhody.com

Video/TV: none expected

Radio: B101 FM Live Stream

GameNotes: Via GoRhody.com

For more information:
http://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2013 ... 1124pp3hvz

http://www.uncabulldogs.com/SportSelect ... PSID=92367
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MegaRamFan2 »

I appreciate Aaman's effort night in and night out, but let's be real on this board that he is an unathletic mess out there on the floor. In terms of players mentioned on this board, he is by far the most overrated from what I've seen from posters. Again, you have to appreciate that he plays harder than most, but let's not hype him up too much. I hope I eat crow, I really do, but if we're relying on Aaman to be our savior down low we're in big trouble.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Kind how I feel about Jordan "Dikembe" Hare. Totally overrated.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:Kind how I feel about Jordan "Dikembe" Hare. Totally overrated.
Overrated by who, exactly? He isn't an all-American, but he would definitely help this team right now. Same thing goes for Mike. Both players would be useful right now, and it has almost nothing to do with their being a savior. We just lack so much depth inside that Hare's length and athleticism and Mike's energy would be valuable.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So would Aaman. Don't see you jumping to his defense.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, Hare was/is overrated, but it really looked like he had developed a face up shot, which he didn't have last year at all. Also, we could have used his shot blocking ability, we don't have much there.

I know he's still too thin, and would have been pushed around by most teams' front lines. But this team needs help down low, and he would have helped.

Not the savior, but a help, and this year's team needs help depth wise.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:So would Aaman. Don't see you jumping to his defense.
I was editing my post to include mike as you posted. I have a habit of reading these threads backwards so I hadn't gotten to the post about him yet.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree Rambone. Hare would have helped in the depth department.
Now he's gone and who knows when Aaman will be back?
He was having trouble sitting down and standing up at the game
Saturday.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Anyone 6'7", 6'8" or taller who doesn't shy away from contact in the post would help right now.

I never understood the ass flop. How does that "sell" a charge anymore than standing your ground and making it harder for the guy to hit the shot?

Gil has perfected this move, much to my chagrin. I thought he was supposed to be hard nosed player. He looks more like granny from the life alert commercials taking ass dives on the floor with his hands extended.

Not what I was expected out of a Hurley coached team, I guess.

When does that JUCO get here, so we can all hear about how he takes this bunch to school in practice?

Lesson #1: basketball is a contact sport...
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Hare had some idea of keeping himself between the opposing team and the basket. Right now that would go some ways with this team.

Also Hare, EC, TJ..... isn't there a stud on Hare's high school team, I would like to get him in here through our Michigan pipeline—so it would be good if he came back.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I always like tough, rugged front court players.
Baron seldom recruited a player who weighed more than 200lbs.
He liked ath-a-lleetz.
We need space eaters, who opposing players bounce off of,
when going for a rebound.
I think Oneykaba will get there. Biruta is so unlike we were told.
I saw him do things in H-O-R-S-E that were amazing for a guy his size.
Where did that athleticism go? I get the ankle injury, but there should still
be some remnants of what he's billed as.
Oh, and the stud from Pershing High was playing for MSU the other night.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

In the limited action I've seen from Ifeanyi, Biruta, Aaman, I would take Jordan over any of our big men if I were starting a team. Ifeanyi has a chisled body, but is very limited on offense and has poor hands and is not a shot blocking threat, Biruta has been a below average defender and has shown very little offense. Aaman is physically limited, but plays with agressiveness and heart. Hare has his faults as well, but athletically he's ahead of any of our big men and he's been missed this year.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

My five year old granddaughter is stronger than Jordan Hare.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Can we get her eligible for 2nd semester?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

88, couldn't agree more. Yes Hare is thin, but he had gained some weight, and would have only gained more as he matured.

Lots of holes in our frontcourt. We need Hassan to develop quicker! I know, that's asking a lot I guess.

Of course, he needs to play more to develop quicker, even though his defense needs a lot of work. Going to have to suffer with it.

Short term pain. Long term gain?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I find it hard to believe that O was dominating Hare in practice, after what we've seen so far.

I actually believed that myself, after the Maine game.

Since then, that O has disappeared from sight. I know the interior players he's faced since then are bigger, but what the hell?

I still think he's going to be good, though. Just maybe not AS good as I thought?
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

There is an ocean of space between being a zero and Dikembe Mutombo. I don't care if he didn't do anything other than alter shots, grab a rebound (4 rebounds per game in under 20mpg last year), and dunk any put backs. That alone is something this team needs. I mean, he's not here, so what can you do but, if the discussion is "could he have helped?", the answer is absolutely yes. And, I know the foreign trip stats are REALLY hard to evaluate. But, 27/10 in the last game (and I think he was near a double/double the previous two) says he was involved and active.
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MegaRamFan2 »

I have to agree in terms of Hare that his length alone would be a great help. Look at Carson Desrosiers for PC. He's not the most offensively talented player, but he has proven his worth over the last few games simply altering shots in the paint. Desrosiers is 2 inches taller and 50lbs heavier, but you can't teach height and length.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Interior defense has been a weakness at URI for quite a few years now.

That hasn't changed. Hare would have helped. Simple as that.

URI has had several players as tall as Hare. None that I can remember were as athletic as he. Yes, he had weaknesses, but by the time he was a junior or senior, he would have been a force.

Just my opinion.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Realtime rpi
Rhody 230
Asheville 270
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yuck.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Hare had some idea of keeping himself between the opposing team and the basket. Right now that would go some ways with this team.

Also Hare, EC, TJ..... isn't there a stud on Hare's high school team, I would like to get him in here through our Michigan pipeline—so it would be good if he came back.
Yes,
2015 SG Eric Davis is ranked #26 ESPN fo rthe class of 2015. He plays for Jordan Hare's HS Saginaw Arthur Hill.

URI Offered Davis in January of this year (Eric's Sophomore Year)
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry, I thought you were referring to Keith Appling. who is
going to make AA this season.
Davis would be a miracle. He''d be higher ranked than any player
we've had since Lamar.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote:Realtime rpi
Rhody 230
Asheville 270
Why are we using RPI after just a handful of games as any kind of predicting measure?
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

The key with Appling this year as opposed to season's past is just the control of his play. Watching him for the past 3 years has been amazing and frustrating all in one. The guy reminded me of Powell (far more talent) with his one good play, and then 3 bad ones. Izzo really made it a point this offseason to make him commit to being the leader of this team, even with NBA prospects such as Harris and Payne. He's taken his game and focus to a new level this season, and IMO the best PG they've seen since Cleaves. To translate this to URI, he's something I hope and think E.C. will become for us. A natural playmaker with the ability to distribute in the tighest of alleys with the athleticism to go up with forwards in the lane. I said it in another thread, to run a fast transitional offensive team, it all comes down to having the right PG to run it for you. Some guys, Powell specifically, just don't have the awareness/size/speed makeup to do it unfortunately. If this is something Dan truly forecasts for this team, the right PG is the first step in making it an efficient style of play.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Rhody 230
Asheville 270
Why are we using RPI after just a handful of games as any kind of predicting measure?
Granted it's not much but at least it is something.
UMASS was rated #1 un the Country in RPI before last night's game in Realtime RPI and that seemed to prove something with their convincing win over Clemson.

I think it is just a piece of information, and consider it is early - It's better than nothing.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:
Rhody 230
Asheville 270
Granted it's not much but at least it is something.
UMASS was rated #1 un the Country in RPI before last night's game in Realtime RPI and that seemed to prove something with their convincing win over Clemson.

I think it is just a piece of information, and consider it is early - It's better than nothing.

I didn't see the ken pom numbers til a few minutes ago. I was curious, so I looked them up and shared with the board. It's not new info, for sure, but the home OOC schedule is certainly not strong. I guess I'm happy that it's not. Can't wait to get in double digits in the rpi.