Next year

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Next year

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I don't think it's too soon to start speculating about next year. One interesting thing Dan Hurley said in the radio post-game show was that he has 2 scholarships remaining and expects 1 or 2 more players in addition to the four ineligibles from this year and the 2 incoming freshmen. It sounds like he's ready to get to work tomorrow.
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Next year

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

He's been ready for next year since November 2012.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It's going to be a long 7 months!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yes, but hopefully it will be a good 7 months!

The A10 making some good moves concerning realignment, and Thorr staying would be a nice bonus also.

I'm waiting to see who the 2 new recruits will be. We'll know in a month or so.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

i hope cordischi heard his post-game presser, seemed to me like he was addressing those BS rumors

regardless, the future starts tomorrow, heading uptown to check out Hassan in the public league semis!!!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The thing about Matthews and Martin is,
beyond having great senior seasons, they are in
tournament winning programs, with outstanding high school coaches.
Knowing how to win, and the culture that goes hand in hand with it,
will be a big plus for them.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Another reason to be excited...

Gilvydas Biruta‏@Gi7vis
This end of the season brought a new beginning for me. @Males5 @AndreMalone12 @Bigby0 @Ry_Brooks I will miss you! #RamFam
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:i hope cordischi heard his post-game presser, seemed to me like he was addressing those BS rumors

regardless, the future starts tomorrow, heading uptown to check out Hassan in the public league semis!!!
BAR, I imagine you'll be checking out these games. It'll be interesting to see how Hassan does against this type of competition, some big names in there.
http://www.jordanbrandclassic.com/featu ... unced.html
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote:i hope cordischi heard his post-game presser, seemed to me like he was addressing those BS rumors

Look for Dan.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, I really think Hassan, especially if he continues to grow, is going to be a BEAST for the University of Rhode Island's basketball program.

Whether he stays a 3, or turns into a 4, doesn't matter.

EC will be our best PG in a long time, in time. Next year will be a huge transition year for both of them. By the time they are sophs, watch out.

That Euro trip will be a huge plus for the entire team. It will be almost like having played a half season already.

That's why I think they will have a reasonable chance to Dance next season. It's the year after, that I EXPECT URI to definitely be in the tournament, and not just one and done either.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

thx ace, yeah i assumed he would be making the trip up for tomorrow. fwiw i will post a recap of what i saw later tomorrow.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I see a huge turnaround in wins, I want at least 20
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Reef, if we're not at least an NIT team next year, I will be disappointed.

20 wins will depend on how difficult our OOC schedule is.

There should be no doubt that we will be over .500 in conference, especially with no Temple, X, or Butler around.

As of now the A10 has 13 teams. How many league games will there be?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Dan wants a mix of easier games and a few quality top-100 RPI type games in home-and-home scenarios.

Watch on Rhody Insider Online extra here:
http://coxsportsonline.com/2013/03/rhod ... -online-5/
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I am really looking forward to next year as well. Question: we lose 2 of our top 3 scorers from a team that couldn't score...who are we expecting to be the scorers on next years team?

X
Gil
Jarelle
Mike
Big O?
EC?
Hassan?

I don't think Biggie is known for his offense...I believe passing and defense are his game.

We should be more balanced with our new found post game and rebounding; which could spread the floor on offense, and offer more fast break opportunities with improved rebounding.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote:I am really looking forward to next year as well. Question: we lose 2 of our top 3 scorers from a team that couldn't score...who are we expecting to be the scorers on next years team?

X
Gil
Jarelle
Mike
Big O?
EC?
Hassan?

I don't think Biggie is known for his offense...I believe passing and defense are his game.

We should be more balanced with our new found post game and rebounding; which could spread the floor on offense, and offer more fast break opportunities with improved rebounding.
I think the scoring leaders next year will be: 1.Gil, 2.X, 3.E.C., 4.Jarelle, with averages of 17,15,12 and 10 respectively. Big O is a force on the boards. Hassan will come on as the season progresses. Biggie will be a good all around player off the bench. Mike is a good backup PG. TJ, Aaman and Hare come off the bench. Recruit #3 will be a shooter coming off the bench.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'd be really surprised if Gil were our leading scorer. Certainly in the top 3 or 4, but not the leading scorer.
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hurley isn't expecting EC to start. Biggie is the one he speaks of in that role.
He will have the luxury of being able to bring Matthews and Martin in as they progress, nad
not having to force feed them, because of lack of personnel.
I don't know how anyone can place averages to any players, as we have no clue
on who will play and how much.
I've seen Gil do things with the ball that are mindboggling. He likely would be the high scorer, with Munford,
but I sure wouldn't bet on the specific amount.
College basketball is different that the past, when every school seemed to have a 20 point go to scorer.
The wild card for next year are the two remaining recruits, and how good they are.
Hurley told me that the offense would be more wide open than this season, but
he doesn't want any "wildmen" destroying it. Don't expect Loyola Marymount offense.
With the numbers, he'll be able to press, without worrying about fatigue.
Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Even with five holdovers, this will be a mystery team (again). I expect Mike and X to benefit from not having to play 38 minutes a game. Their averages may not be as high by playing fewer minutes, but their efficiency will be. The biggest question mark, I think, is Jordan Hare. If the newcomers play as well as expected, he may be the odd man out unless he improves dramatically over the summer. He's definitely more a work in progress than I expected
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

in short next year we will have many different ways to score, easier baskets in general, as Dan said not having to "scheme" on every single play to get a good look because for the most part your talent can't create on their own.

in general its a lock we will play at a much higher tempo next year, create more turnovers and turn our biggest weakness (rebounding) into a significant strength. the biggest question mark is likely perimeter shooting, with X being the only returner who has shown production in that category.

biruta will be a force in the A10 bar none. he is aggressive and skilled, with size. he faced much stiffer comp in the real Big East and more than held his own as a youngster. i expect him to be 1-2 in pts and rebounds. i would expect to see a more controlled yet still aggressive X, being more efficient as a result of shots being easier to come by and more open court play. EC looks better than I even expected in recent videos, but freshman PGs come around slowly so I wont count on him early on. from DH it seems reischel and minnis both have elite defensive ability, and that minnis is a creator in the lane which is something we sorely need. if the Big O is as advertised, a better body and more skilled version of Aaman, than I see him at the starting 4. could be a 3 guard lineup to start (mike, biggie and X) with O and Gil. could go traditional with biggie or mike, X, reischel, O and Gil. PG is an unknown without seeing Biggie or EC in that role against college comp.

but for sure DH should have many combos of guys to go to once roles are clearly defined.

talent will be there, how quickly it melds and how effectively we shoot it from the outside are possibly the intangibles that will dictate our success for next year.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

If Gil can be a 14/8 guy we are in great shape!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

BAR, I don't see Powell as prominently as you do.
He shot 29% this year, and 30% from 3. His game deteriorated in the last few weeks.
I'm sure much had to do with the grind of playing so many minutes, and the
responsibilities of taking care of the ball. His assist to turnover ratio was good all year.
Watching Chaz Williams, who's about the same size, the quickness and speed difference was
obvious. Plus Williams' floor vision, dishing the ball to open shooters all day.
We of course don't have the firepower UMass has, so assists are more rare.
Powell will need to work on his shot and his strength. He has said as much.
As with all things, time will tell.
Staff sees Onyekaba as a 5. They like Biruta as a 4, and are working on his mid range game.
Not sure where Hare fits in, unless there's vast improvement in the off season.
They're going to work on his game all summer, but no bigman camp.
TJ will be our Swiss Army knife, doing a bit of this and that.
Lots of pieces, and two more to be determined.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Maybe EC won't start right off the bat. And all I can go by is what I've seen on tape and what I've read. But from what I have seen on tape and from what I have read about his work ethic and always being in the gym working on his game. I expect him to be an impact player before too long. I predict he will start by January for conference play. Once again, Hurley knows better than any of us about these players. I'm just a fan. As far as predicting numbers for the players, you're right, nobody knows how this will shake out, but it is fun to think about it.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think its fair to say that we won't even recognize the offense next year as opposed to this year. Hurley has been pretty upfront about the fact that he simply wasn't able to do what he wanted offensively this year due to the personnel. This will look like a completely different team next year is alot more ways than just the people on the floor.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:I think its fair to say that we won't even recognize the offense next year as opposed to this year. Hurley has been pretty upfront about the fact that he simply wasn't able to do what he wanted offensively this year due to the personnel. This will look like a completely different team next year is alot more ways than just the people on the floor.
I totally agree, and that's why I see EC as an impact player before too long. We expect more up tempo, and if that's the case, EC is the guy. He looks to me to be devastating in the open floor in an up tempo game, whether he's taking it to the hoop or dishing. I admit I haven't seen enough of Biggie to decide what kind of player he is, but in an up tempo game, EC is much more of an impact player in that type of style than Mike Powell is.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:I think its fair to say that we won't even recognize the offense next year as opposed to this year. Hurley has been pretty upfront about the fact that he simply wasn't able to do what he wanted offensively this year due to the personnel. This will look like a completely different team next year is alot more ways than just the people on the floor.
I totally agree, and that's why I see EC as an impact player before too long. We expect more up tempo, and if that's the case, EC is the guy. He looks to me to be devastating in the open floor in an up tempo game, whether he's taking it to the hoop or dishing. I admit I haven't seen enough of Biggie to decide what kind of player he is, but in an up tempo game, EC is much more of an impact player in that type of style than Mike Powell is.
Yeah you may be right, I dont know enough about EC to say for sure either way, but you know what the best part is...even if EC takes awhile to become an impact player (I think most agree its more a matter of when then if) it will be ok. We won't be so dependent on him and Martin to be impact guys right away because we have the depth this time around.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think the young kids' development will be sped up by the Italy trip. With the trip being in August, I'm guessing they begin formal practices in July. By conference play, the team will have played together, practiced together, hung out together for 6 months. In a normal year, it would take longer for the freshman/transfers to blend in and mesh together. I think the Italy trip and the fact that they can practice is huge, especially for the new guys.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'm fond of saying that the best time of year to be a URI basketball fan has begun. I believe that this will be the last March for awhile when I will say it.

I think MikeP and Jordan can provide depth for next year but I wouldn't be surprised if either moved on. Jordan would do himself a favor by sitting out a year and letting his body mature. MikeP had a disappointing sophomore year. I think we can project Mike's potential.

Baring players not available next year, I will be very disappointed with less than 20 wins.
Last edited by Rhody72 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rod I def don't see Powell as the answer, I just haven't seen the alternative yet.
Agree the Italy trip will expedite everything.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Can incoming freshman go on the Italy trip? This will be a huge help for the players sitting out this year, since it always seems to take about 10 games for them to get the rust off.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Mike and Jordan will be role players next year. Both should be improved.

I think Powell will be back. Hare, not as sure, but probably.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

RIFan wrote:Can incoming freshman go on the Italy trip? This will be a huge help for the players sitting out this year, since it always seems to take about 10 games for them to get the rust off.
Yes
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm not ready to give up on Hare. He has a lot to learn but he's also 6-10 and athletic. Hurley will have all summer to work with him. Lets not forget that Outerbridge and Martell didn't play as freshmen because they weren't ready . But Hurley didn't have that option. Next year Hurley will play big guys based on matchups.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think people are crazy to be down on Hare. I'm a big believer in Hare. Most freshmen aren't ready to play, so nothing that I saw this year made me feel any different about him. No idea where the idea that he would "probably" be back comes from. Makes no sense to me. He's a big part of the program for the next three years, regardless of how big of a role he has next year.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I think Hare will be fine...unless he can bulk up he should be a 4. With the big bodies we have coming in that should be a good spot for him. He would have size on most opposing 4's.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Perhaps I was expecting too much, but I thought Hare would have developed more by the end of the year. He still looked lost out there. Aaman, thought not as athletic or tall, played with more purpose and intensity.
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I am not ready to give up Hare either. Big men take more time to develop in most situations. He has length, height - neither can be taught. But he also has timing in his ability to block shots. I don't see him as stictly a role or back up player for his career here. I have seen the transfers in waiting and they do not show me to be automatically putting Jordan to bench status next year. Let's wait and see.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Really? Well, that must be why he gets dominated in practice
by Biruta and Onyekaba.
These are physically developed, strong bulls, compared to a girraffe.
Biruta is a finished product. Dan says Oneykaba's strength and footwork are
"incredible".
So, how does Hare somehow surpass them? He doesn't.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I did not say he surpassed them, sorry if I left that impression
I know, Rod that you have disliked Hare from Day 1 as has Rambone - I just see more potential in Hare than you two guys do - just leave it at that.
I would not want to see Hare transfer - and if Hurley feels the same as several on this board feel about Hare then he should look him in the eye and send him packing - to be fair.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Everyone see things differently.
Some people think Hare is Joaquim Noah redux,
others see a very raw player.
Time will tell.
I like bigmen in the mode that the great Jack Kraft used to say,
"Mobile, agile and hostile".
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Hare reminds me a lot of Outerbridge, but with a higher ceiling. Let's not forget that he was a top 150 recruit coming out of high school. Starting next year we're going to have a better crew of big men than we had in all of Baron's time here. I like the post-up, bruiser type just as much as you do Rod, but having the option of going to the more athletic, taller Hare off the bench will give this team versatility.
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:Everyone see things differently.
Some people think Hare is Joaquim Noah redux,
others see a very raw player.
Time will tell.
I like bigmen in the mode that the great Jack Kraft used to say,
"Mobile, agile and hostile".
Who sees Hare as a Joaquim Noah redux?
This is URI, Not Florida.
Joaquim Noah types are not walking through the URI door unless Jim Harrick is Coach again
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hare is very athletic, but is severely lacking in basic basketball skills.

But yes, he is 6'10" and they don't grow on trees.

If he progresses, develops some semblance of a post up game, and learns to shoot inside 10 ft. [not just dunk] he's going to get some decent PT with this group. If not, he's going to play very limited minutes.

If Hare doesn't develop with the Hurleys coaching him, well then he's not going to be much use to them.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramster, are you talking about Odom? Lamar was a rent-a-player. Everyone knew he was a one and done. Even Carothers looked the other way.

Hurley isn't going to sell his soul to do that.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Hare is very athletic, but is severely lacking in basic basketball skills.

But yes, he is 6'10" and they don't grow on trees.

If he progresses, develops some semblance of a post up game, and learns to shoot inside 10 ft. [not just dunk] he's going to get some decent PT with this group. If not, he's going to play very limited minutes.

If Hare doesn't develop with the Hurleys coaching him, well then he's not going to be much use to them.
After a year Hurley should know if Hare has potential. You have said many times that he does not.
If he can't cut it here be fair and release him.
I don't think we are near as deep as you think we are for next year.
I never thought URI would win 15 games this year and make the A10 Tournament as you did - I predicted 4 wins. I don't think we are close to a lock for the NCAA's next year so I would keep Hare until I see more.
I am fine with Hare just dunking, rebounding and blocking shots.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I never said Hare doesn't have potential. He does. Will he realize it? That's the question, and you're right, we'll know a lot more by next year.

Hare needs to do a lot more than just dunk or block shots. He doesn't rebound well, his hands are suspect. That's a hard thing to teach. He also needs to shoot FT's better, as does X and Powell.

I did predict 15 wins. Oops. As I said before, they would have done that if Billy and Holton had played.

I did think they would win more close games than they did, due to the Hurley factor. But the players have to win the games on the court, not the coaches.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I guess someone didn't hear all the hoopla over
Hare by local medai after the PC game.
NBA future and the comparison to Noah were all over
the place.
That's what happens when you only see someone play once.
We're not deep next year? OK. Whatever.
Remember, two more players are coming.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We will be basically 2 quality players deep at every position next year, with the possible exception of the 2.

At the 4 and 5, we'll have the Big O, Biruta, Hare, and Aaman. Plus one more?

At the 3, Reischel and Martin.

At the 2, X, TJ. Plus one more?

At the 1, Minnis, Powell, and EC.

If someone doesn't return next year for some reason, we could use another 3?

For 2014-15, we'll only have one scholarship available, X being the only senior next year.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Next Year:
1: Minnis, Powell, Matthews
2: Munford, Buchanan
3: Reischel, Martin
4: Biruta, Hare
5: Onyekaba, Aaman

plus 2 more, that's 11 players which is more than probably 80% of D1 teams. Obviously some people can play more than 1 position
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think Powell goes into the season as the starter and Biggie or EC will have to take the job from him. He has earned first crack at the job by what he took on this season. That isn't to say he should be guaranteed the job all year, just that at the first practice he should get first team reps and continue to do so until someone beats him out.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011